Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Do you like the Texans draft pick of Okoye?
Yes 114 94.21%
No 7 5.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2007   #41
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

First think I thought when I saw Okoye's family all excited was that they were anticipating it, probably saying, "Houston'll take you, Okoye! They always take a DL in the first round." I like him, but that kind of bugs me.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #42
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #43
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I think we need to trade him actually. Him or Babin. We have a lot of players for our D-Line. It provides depth, but at least one can be dumped or traded.
Trade both as far as I'm concerned. TJ barely made the team last year and is definetly a bust.

I think Okoye a solid pick. Okoye has excelled at everything he's done. I would have preferred us to trade down, but that's not always possible. Of the people on the board, I can't see anyone who would have been an obvious choice as a better pick.

Last edited by Hagar; 04-28-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #44
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

I admit I was in the Levi camp or wanted to trade down, but I will not complain and I will trust Smith and Kubick with this pick and say I love it.

June 1st bye bye TJ
Old 04-28-2007   #45
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm torn. After reading the ESPN article a few weeks back I came to really respect this young man. I have no problem with the pick in general. I think he is a solid pick and a value for where we got him. However, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I was intrigued with how many of our competitors did well, IMHO, and that, after seeing what people were getting in trades, that we didn't move down. I know it takes 2 to tango but from what I heard there were opportunities but they went with him. I think alot of it is knowing we took Travis and then had to go here again. So to me it seems wasted. Overall though, I like the guy alot.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 04-28-2007 at 11:02 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #46
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think that's my hangup too frog. i'm having travis johnson flashbacks.

IMO there wasnt a top 10 (or even top 15) talent available at the 10 spot. with that, and from the reports of multiple trade down possibilities, i wouldnt have been in love with any pick we made. levi brown, laron landry, and adrian peterson were gone ... that should've been the end of our 10 spot.

i think okoye is a fascinating prospect and if we have the great coaching that i assume, he'll turn into sapp or better. nothing away from the kid, but this was such a weak draft that i think that we ended up in no-man's land with our choices.
Old 04-28-2007   #47
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i think that's my hangup too frog. i'm having travis johnson flashbacks.

IMO there wasnt a top 10 (or even top 15) talent available at the 10 spot. with that, and from the reports of multiple trade down possibilities, i wouldnt have been in love with any pick we made. levi brown, laron landry, and adrian peterson were gone ... that should've been the end of our 10 spot.

i think okoye is a fascinating prospect and if we have the great coaching that i assume, he'll turn into sapp or better. nothing away from the kid, but this was such a weak draft that i think that we ended up in no-man's land with our choices.
Thats what was in my head. This might sound crazy but I thought there was more value in the 20s then where we picked. Again, we will never know, because it takes 2 to make a deal. I think this kid is a great story, has all the tools and I have no problem with it. It just isn't exactly a pick that makes me fired up. Solid is a good word. Hopefully the combo of him and others lifts a whole unit. Again, these comments aren't meant to be negatives. The player, himself, is pure quality....I'm just torn with D-line again.
Old 04-28-2007   #48
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
I LOVE this pick! I would've traded down for anyone but Peterson or Okoye. I'm still pissed that Minnesota took Peterson. What worse place could he have gone (except for maybe Cleveland) that would've destroyed his career? He's going to tank there - that team sucks.

GO OKOYE!
I disagree. I think Peterson will be just fine in Minnesota. Look what they did with Chester Taylor...
Old 04-28-2007   #49
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Thats what was in my head. This might sound crazy but I thought there was more value in the 20s then where we picked. Again, we will never know, because it takes 2 to make a deal. I think this kid is a great story, has all the tools and I have no problem with it. It just isn't exactly a pick that makes me fired up. Solid is a good word. Hopefully the combo of him and others lifts a whole unit. Again, these comments aren't meant to be negatives. The player, himself, is pure quality....I'm just torn with D-line again.
i agree, solid is a good word ... not good and not bad but it's a safe pick with a good amount of potential. there were only a handful of studs (peterson, russell, thomas, johnson, landry). after that, it's a heavy load of second and 3rd round talent. a deep but not top heavy wr draft (which we took advantage of in the 3rd as i expected), and a group of 15-25 picks (willis, okoye, nelson, etc) that would've been in our wheelhouse if we could've traded back. it's possible they'll prove me wrong, but this is likely to be the most weak draft since 2002 ... which is probably why i cant find a reason to get excited nomatter what happens at this point. landry and peterson were off the board and we didnt trade down ... my interest just wasnt there. all of the options were of comperable talent and none of which were worth the pick IMO (hall, revis, willis, okoye, nelson, meachem, etc).
Old 04-29-2007   #50
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This kid seems to have the smarts, drive, and talent to excel at the NFL level. I just hope he has someone to help him manage his soon to be wealth. We can only hope that the maturity is there to handle the HUGE changes that will happen in his personal life.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #51
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it more than I dislike it. The kid has alot of upside, and will learn what he has to do to succeed. His age will have alot to do with it his first year, plus his size as well. He will mature in a season or two, and as long as he doesn't get dissapointed, he will do fine. Now his size could be the problem, listed 6'2" amd 305, well he has speed on his side, but so do alot of OL. And he better be able to get around them, as the OL are usually several inches taller and as big.
Still I think if Mario can elevate his play this year it will help, because if the kid can put pressure on the QB and press him Mario's way, I am looking for a good year from him.

A good pick, tons of potential, and boy, this can be a good D for years if they all can come around together. All of them are young and with good coaching, the Texans D wil lbe one that is atop the league in the not too distant future..
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #52
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Il_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
This kid seems to have the smarts, drive, and talent to excel at the NFL level. I just hope he has someone to help him manage his soon to be wealth. We can only hope that the maturity is there to handle the HUGE changes that will happen in his personal life.

I wouldnt be too worried about Okoye, hes definetely one of a kind when it comes to his level of maturity.

not to mention he's pretty smart, its not easy task to complete college at 19.
Il_Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #53
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder what trade down we were offered? He could have concievably gotten Leon Hall and Dwayne Jarret!

4 straight years of D-Line in the 1st, with two busts and a guy flopping his first year.

We still have no secondary whatsoever, no number 2 WR (but plenty of number 3 or 4 wrs) and an O-Line that is pieced together.

With Peterson off the board, I figured we would trade down.

Here's hoping Okoye turns out more like Dunta or DeMeco than Mario, Babin, or TJ.
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #54
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

It's nice to see you back Apple! I was wondering when you would show up.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #55
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
It's nice to see you back Apple! I was wondering when you would show up.

Thanks man

Man we were so close to Peterson it was sick!

**** you Vikings!
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #56
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
I wonder what trade down we were offered? He could have concievably gotten Leon Hall and Dwayne Jarret!

4 straight years of D-Line in the 1st, with two busts and a guy flopping his first year.

We still have no secondary whatsoever, no number 2 WR (but plenty of number 3 or 4 wrs) and an O-Line that is pieced together.

With Peterson off the board, I figured we would trade down.

Here's hoping Okoye turns out more like Dunta or DeMeco than Mario, Babin, or TJ.
I'll give Mario another year. He was injured last year.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #57
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Nice to have two extremely SMART players in the center of you first 2 lines of defense with Okoye and Ryans. Now if we can just get a stud safety back there I think we'll have the makings of an excellent defense for years to come!
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #58
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Do we happen to play th ePanthers late in the season?

Man, you know what i'd love?

For us to play the Panthers and Carr gets the nod because of injury or something.

Then I would love our Line to pile up sacks against Carr...it is just...I would love to see it happen to another team but us...

"OH AND ANOTHER SACK!" tyhat is all I heard while watching Texans games.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #59
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I love the pick. Outside of Adrian Peterson falling to us Okoye was my next hope along with Laron Landry falling to us. I'm thrilled to add him.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #60
RotorTrash007
Rookie

at first when I was talking to some fellow Texans fans they were booing the idea of having Okoye. ME from the get go I was like YEAH!!!! This is freaking sweet! Im seeing a lot of us are agreeing and seeing what this Defense could be. I Hope Okoye starts, and just grows into his body while killing QBs at the same time!
RotorTrash007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read