Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Do you like the Texans draft pick of Okoye?
Yes 114 94.21%
No 7 5.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2007   #21
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Since offseason began, I have been a broken record crying out for the ability to stop the run. It's part two of my diatribe on how to win next year. Part one was being able to run the ball. Hopefully, the Green signing will fix that. As much as I wanted Kalil, AP, and Landry, I really like this pick. The Texans needed a DT more than we want to believe...

Old 04-28-2007   #22
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I agree. The Travis Johnson pick is a bust. Mario Williams isn't. Mario played with an injured foot all season.
I'll give TJ one last year. If he doesn't produce, then I will call him a bust.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #23
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
I'll give TJ one last year. If he doesn't produce, then I will call him a bust.
I think we need to trade him actually. Him or Babin. We have a lot of players for our D-Line. It provides depth, but at least one can be dumped or traded.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #24
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
Since offseason began, I have been a broken record crying out for the ability to stop the run. It's part two of my diatribe on how to win next year. Part one was being able to run the ball. Hopefully, the Green signing will fix that. As much as I wanted Kalil, AP, and Landry, I really like this pick. The Texans needed a DT more than we want to believe...

You're right. I didnt realize that the Texans allowed 5 yards per rush last season. Whoa.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #25
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm as displeased with travis johnson as everyone else, but IMO you cant really call him a bust yet (although i'm sure i've hollered it at some point). he's only played two seasons, and has been injured for a good portion of that. in those two years he's played under 2 different head coaches, 2 defensive coordinators, in both a 3-4 and 4-3 defense, and hasnt had any consistancy or production around him. sure those are excuses, but it's hard to realistically ask for probowl production in those circumstances. this year is where i'm more willing to call for him being released or not. and yes i've diagnosed his individual play, and while it's not good, he definitely has shown flashes.
Old 04-28-2007   #26
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that somethings are being overlooked .

1. I think the way the draft evolved ... that moving back from 8 to 10 was'nt a big thing because AD , Landry , and Levi Brown were all gone .

2. Okoye was the best player on the board at that point .... Okoye also has a high ceiling because of his age . Okoye will be 20 and I think Mario is 22 .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #27
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think we need to trade him actually. Him or Babin. We have a lot of players for our D-Line. It provides depth, but at least one can be dumped or traded.
I'll give Babin one more year. Okoye will not only help Mario out but he will also help out the entire DL. DeMeco should be happy as well. If Babin doesn't produce, then it's time to part ways.
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2007   #28
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
I'll give Babin one more year. Okoye will not only help Mario out but he will also help out the entire DL. DeMeco should be happy as well. If Babin doesn't produce, then it's time to part ways.
Quote:
Babin had some of the best pass-rush numbers (sacks, to be specific) last year. I'm not ready to see him gone. However, I'm ready to see him step up. There is no reason he should not be one of the best pass-rushing defensive ends in the league. He should be playing every down. If he's not, then it's time to send him sailing.
Old 04-28-2007   #29
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
You're right. I didnt realize that the Texans allowed 5 yards per rush last season. Whoa.
And this year the Texans get to play against LJ, LT, New Orleans, and a basic list of the best running backs in the league. Without a run defense, they are sunk.
Old 04-28-2007   #30
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think that somethings are being overlooked .

1. I think the way the draft evolved ... that moving back from 8 to 10 was'nt a big thing because AD , Landry , and Levi Brown were all gone .

2. Okoye was the best player on the board at that point .... Okoye also has a high ceiling because of his age . Okoye will be 20 and I think Mario is 22.
we're definitely going to be one of the youngest defenses (if not the youngest) ... hell just look at the line. mario 21, okoye 19, babin 26, TJ 25, weaver 26. then you've got dunta 25, brown 24, earl 25, faggins 27, ryans 22, orr 25, and old man greenwood 28. we need to upgrade talent at linebacker and free safety, but there's plenty youth and athleticism available to be coached. we need to start working this direction on offense now.
Old 04-28-2007   #31
TexanBorn51
Veteran

Rep Power: 1327 TexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Help... sorry wrong vote...

I apologize but I voted no to this poll by accident I wanted to do yes. Is there a way we can correct the poll or something? Just went to fast and clicked and it was over in a split second.
TexanBorn51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #32
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
we're definitely going to be one of the youngest defenses (if not the youngest) ... hell just look at the line. mario 21, okoye 19, babin 26, TJ 25, weaver 26. then you've got dunta 25, brown 24, earl 25, faggins 27, ryans 22, orr 25, and old man greenwood 28. we need to upgrade talent at linebacker and free safety, but there's plenty youth and athleticism available to be coached. we need to start working this direction on offense now.
That DL looks good like that on paper, and I can't wait to see what it will look like on the field. The Texans are finally starting to build their identity and it's through Defense.
Old 04-28-2007   #33
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBorn51 View Post
I apologize but I voted no to this poll by accident I wanted to do yes. Is there a way we can correct the poll or something? Just went to fast and clicked and it was over in a split second.
i'll vote yes for ya. i'm on the fence so i wasnt going to vote.
Old 04-28-2007   #34
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBorn51 View Post
Sorry man, you can't. Once you pick and click, you're stuck.
Old 04-28-2007   #35
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

IF we are able to put pressure on QBs, our DBs will have less pressure on them. I'm fine with the pick. I didn't expect it, but we could have a fierce D next season.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #36
TexanBorn51
Veteran

Rep Power: 1327 TexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i'll vote yes for ya. i'm on the fence so i wasnt going to vote.
Thanks Scooter although I shot an email to TexMex about a correction. I'll be more careful on those poll selections next time. I'm ecstatic about Okoye I know I had some other selections @10 who were available but the traders did not give up enough to trade this BPA. THe DL will make the rest look better and we still have more picks to come and other things before June 1st.
Old 04-28-2007   #37
TexanBorn51
Veteran

Quote:
Sorry man, you can't. Once you pick and click, you're stuck.
okay I understand now. But just for the record here at the MB Scooter posted a vote for me. Appreciate it and will be cautious on future polls.
Old 04-28-2007   #38
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
That DL looks good like that on paper, and I can't wait to see what it will look like on the field. The Texans are finally starting to build their identity and it's through Defense.
it looks insane on paper. between injuries, inconsistancies in the coaching & management & scheme, and rotating personnel ... we havent touched on the extent of what our current line can accomplish and hell we might not see the full effect of things until 2008. remember, kubiak and smith are only sophmores ... 08 is going to probably be the first offseason where we go into the season with a fair amount of familiarity. this year should give us a very good indicator as to what our defense of the future is capable of.

edit: no worries texanborn, happens all the time.
Old 04-28-2007   #39
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 290661 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I like this pick. You always build a winning team around your linemen on both sides of the ball. Our defense is starting to shape up. With Mario playing on good feet, our outstanding Defensive Rookie of the Year, and now this guy. If we can somehow manage to get a good CB to pair up with Daunte, we'll be in good shape.

As has been said many times, the Texans have so many serious holes to fill anyway, but at least things are starting to look pretty sweet on the D line. Baring injuries, I forsee a very huge turn around in our defensive play this year.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #40
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing I do want to say is this better be it. No more DLs in the first round for a while. I mean I'm OK with the pick, because I really like this guy, but this is the fourth year in a row counting Babin, and we also have a lot of money tied up in Weaver as well. Not to complain too much, but I still wish we'd taken Nelson or Revis.

Fact is they're never gonna take exactly the guy I want, so I'm OK with this.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read