Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2007   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Article on the new Texan Okoye

It is a kid like this that I really want to see do well and dominate

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2830642

"Says one NFC GM: "Okoye has a pro's football knowledge, a senior's body and a freshman's age"

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 04-28-2007 at 02:33 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #2
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Past his awesome football skills, this will hopefully give the Texan image a boost across the nation. After last years draft we have been the butt of too many jokes so I think this will give the organization a face for the unfamiliar to associate the team with.

"LeBron and I are working on a couple of marketing things with Nike to do with the whole phenom thing," Okoye said recently while hanging out with James. "I want to be the LeBron James of the NFL.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1224/SPORTS08
Old 04-28-2007   #3
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Kid may not have a good first year...

Look at his history though...he's been younger than his teammates and has outworked and outperformed them.

If Mario blows up next year we will know why.

Huge Potential on him, just like Mario these guys have huge potential.

Last edited by Leahmic223; 04-28-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
If Mario blows up next year we will know why.
Because his injury has healed?
Old 04-28-2007   #5
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Because his injury has healed?
Maybe, but a good DT can really help Mario out and makes his matchups easier is what I was trying to say.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #6
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Do we line them up on the same side?!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #7
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

amobi told me that hes real excited to be a texan, hes gonna go house shoppin next week and wants to get signed ASAP so he can get to camp...

one question was warren sapp a lighter DT when he came in the league or has he been a big dude his whole career
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2007   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe, but a good DT can really help Mario out and makes his matchups easier is what I was trying to say.
ya a little too pumped up!

We have improved our front line, the LB unit, the running game.

Now we need a WR and a defensive back and maybe an O-lineman.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #9
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

3rd- daymeion hughes
4th- jacoby jones

thats the corner and wr that we need so bad

then a o-line men but i dunno who

anyone has any ideas?
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #10
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I like this pick also. I thought that he would be gone by 10.

I gotta hand it to Rick Smith for putting up one hell of a smokescreen. I don't think that I heard anything this entire offseason about the Texans being interested in Okoye.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #11
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
3rd- daymeion hughes
4th- jacoby jones

thats the corner and wr that we need so bad

then a o-line men but i dunno who

anyone has any ideas?
I do. Dan Mozes or if Kalil somehow drops to round 3 we take him!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analyzer

Vic Carucci's Analysis
Mario Williams should be especially pleased with this choice. Okoye will be enough of a disruptive force and get consistent enough penetration to help free up Williams to get the pressure he is able to generate. Okoye is only 19, but he has the physical maturity to have immediate success in the NFL.

Gil Brandt: He becomes the youngest player ever selected in the NFL draft. He's an amazing story. He moves here from Nigeria and became a high school freshman at age 12. He didn't play football until the next year, but he became a major college player at age 16. I think the biggest thing he brings to this team is an inside presence that will make Mario Williams, the first-round pick last year, a better player.

Pat Kirwan: I first looked at him at the Senior Bowl. This 19-year-old was hard to believe. The best first-step quickness that I saw from the whole group in the game. He has a chance to be a young Warren Sapp. He can get upfield, which is what all 4-3 defenses want, and has a very good ability to recover when blocked. Even as a rookie, they'll trust him to keep him on the field in third-down situations.
Old 04-28-2007   #13
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Do we line them up on the same side?!
I would say we should, it would give that side of the OL nightmares, shuts off one side of the field for the running game, I can't wait to see them get on the field together.
Old 04-28-2007   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe Herbert Taylor (TCU) as a late second day pick ???

or the guy from Hawaii?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #15
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, he sure will. Do we line him up right next to Mario, though?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #16
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Then again, Okoye is a grown man. A potentially still-growing one, in fact. He's 6'2'' now, but he could be 6'4'' in a couple of years. If he's currently 295, maybe his ideal playing weight is 310 or 320. Say his speed improves: Should he be kept at tackle or moved to end? Or will he take snaps at both? "His age is only a positive," says Eric DeCosta, the Ravens director of college scouting. "In two years, he can be a monster."

Everyone knows how good the Ravens are when it comes to the draft so this is very encouraging coming from someone so well respected.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #17
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Motor & desire were Mario's problems last year. The injury may have been the problem. Wait, let me rephrase that "I hope the injury was the problem". Iím betting it was the money.

Having a 19 year old out play Mario might do him some good. We know Mario has a fast car and enough money to ďmake it rainĒ, now letís see if Mario has any pride.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #18
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Motor & desire were Mario's problems last year. The injury may have been the problem. Wait, let me rephrase that "I hope the injury was the problem". Iím betting it was the money.

Having a 19 year old out play Mario might do him some good. We know Mario has a fast car and enough money to ďmake it rainĒ, now letís see if Mario has any pride.
watch more texans games and less youtube. between the toenails and the plantar fascitis it wouldnt have been a suprise if mario sat all or most of the season, i'm not sure why you're questioning his desire ... unless vince young or reggie bush is going to be in your next post. for a rookie, mario played well. for a rookie with a rookie coach, very little support, and on two bum feet i thought he played admirably ... read my breakdowns for a more analytical perspective. as i said before, during, and after the season, mario wasnt going to be the immediate impact. he's a physical phenom that can be molded into one of the greatest but he came in with such a low mental base (football wise) and a lack of technique that it's going to be a year or two before we see his full potential. if mario makes any progression from his rookie performance and can stay healthy, he'll be the stud we expect him to be and then some.
Old 04-28-2007   #19
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
watch more texans games and less youtube. between the toenails and the plantar fascitis it wouldnt have been a suprise if mario sat all or most of the season, i'm not sure why you're questioning his desire ... unless vince young or reggie bush is going to be in your next post. for a rookie, mario played well. for a rookie with a rookie coach, very little support, and on two bum feet i thought he played admirably ... read my breakdowns for a more analytical perspective. as i said before, during, and after the season, mario wasnt going to be the immediate impact. he's a physical phenom that can be molded into one of the greatest but he came in with such a low mental base (football wise) and a lack of technique that it's going to be a year or two before we see his full potential. if mario makes any progression from his rookie performance and can stay healthy, he'll be the stud we expect him to be and then some.
From where my seats are in section 119, I'm looking directly at him when the defense has its back to me. On more then one occasion, Mario was blocked by a TE only. Not a double team, T & TE. I mean TE only.

Frankly, from what I saw, the boys lazy.

Please tell me we aren't going to coddle this guy like we did DC! Bottom line is No. 1 picks produce.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #20
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
From where my seats are in section 119, I'm looking directly at him when the defense has its back to me. On more then one occasion, Mario was blocked by a TE only. Not a double team, T & TE. I mean TE only.

Frankly, from what I saw, the boys lazy.

Please tell me we aren't going to coddle this guy like we did DC! Bottom line is No. 1 picks produce.
no arguement from me, if he doesnt produce at or near probowl level by 2008 i'll be down his throat also. what i saw more though was inexperience and technique. many have pointed out the struggles, especially with tight ends and IMO that shows exactly the problem. i'm sure you wont tell me that the tight ends are faster or stronger or can block well enough to hold mario in check. what they do is confuse him. mario was painfully slow to read plays and instead of pushing, he stood there waiting. notice that no blocker got a push on mario, he just held the line waiting to see what happened. also he was extremely vulnerable to an outside wall by tightends. those things improved as the year went on, but mario came from such a low base that it's going to take most of this season also to feel and become instinct on how to react from the snap.

from a football standpoint, mario came into the league as an infant the way i see it. he'll grow into whatever we make of him, but age, inexperience, and technique have a long ways to go before he'll be the dominant all around player we expect. basically the opposite of okoye ... okoye is all brains. he'll grow into his body and has so much potential based on how he can grow athletically. mario has that and then some, where he ends up is where we can make him intellectually.

Last edited by Scooter; 04-28-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Scooter is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read