Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-28-2007   #1
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 18579 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kiper's Last ESPN draft?

POSTED 11:28 p.m. EDT, April 27, 2007

MEL GETTING PUT OUT TO PASTURE?

There's talk in league circles that the 2007 draft could be the swan song on ESPN for Mel Kiper, Jr.

If true, it's ironic. Kiper helped make the draft into the event that it is. Now that the draft is bigger than Kiper ever could be, ESPN has plenty of other human assets who can do the job.

They've been gradually working Todd McShay of Scouts, Inc. into the mix, and we've sensed some non-contrived tension between the old guard and the young turk when Bristol puts the pair in a split screen.

A couple of years ago, Kiper and ESPN almost parted ways after Kiper's contract expired. We suspect that whatever occurred behind the scenes got both sides to the mindset that this contract would be the last one in a long relationship.

per profootballtalk.com

Draft won't be quite the same without him, but I am not sure I will miss him
Old 04-28-2007   #2
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
POSTED 11:28 p.m. EDT, April 27, 2007

MEL GETTING PUT OUT TO PASTURE?

There's talk in league circles that the 2007 draft could be the swan song on ESPN for Mel Kiper, Jr.

If true, it's ironic. Kiper helped make the draft into the event that it is. Now that the draft is bigger than Kiper ever could be, ESPN has plenty of other human assets who can do the job.

They've been gradually working Todd McShay of Scouts, Inc. into the mix, and we've sensed some non-contrived tension between the old guard and the young turk when Bristol puts the pair in a split screen.

A couple of years ago, Kiper and ESPN almost parted ways after Kiper's contract expired. We suspect that whatever occurred behind the scenes got both sides to the mindset that this contract would be the last one in a long relationship.

per profootballtalk.com

Draft won't be quite the same without him, but I am not sure I will miss him
i don't know. It will be tough to have a draft without Kiper. I mean he IS the NFL draft in many ways. I think McShay is there as a New school to the Old school of Kiper and that it works pretty well. I think ESPN should keep em both.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Kiper would just end up working for NFL Network anyway.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #4
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I am sure he would get paid big time to switch. would not be a good move because when you mention draft it is who you think of.
Old 04-28-2007   #5
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Were my ears messed up or did Kiper twice say that Travis Johnson was our 1st round pick in 1995?

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #6
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 711 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Were my ears messed up or did Kiper twice say that Travis Johnson was our 1st round pick in 1995?
I heard it too...at least one of the times. I don't really see how someone confuses 1995 and 2005.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #7
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
I recall hearing the commish calling it the 2000 NFL Draft once during the first round.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2007   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

some guy also said that we went defensive tackle 2 years in a row now. last i checked mario was DE. babin was a de, and travis johnson is the towel boy.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #9
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin229 View Post
I heard it too...at least one of the times. I don't really see how someone confuses 1995 and 2005.
It is a getting old thing. I've been known to confuse 2007 with 1967. Ya gotta be patient with us old folks. Sometimes we are a bit muddled.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #10
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
some guy also said that we went defensive tackle 2 years in a row now. last i checked mario was DE. babin was a de, and travis johnson is the towel boy.
I thought I was just losing my mind when I thought I heard this.
Old 04-29-2007   #11
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope, I heard that too. BUT, it was pretty obvious none of those guys wanted to talk about the TEXANS anyway. Doubtful they did much homework.

I won't miss him. He is incrediably boring!! JMO!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #12
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 27348 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I am sure he would get paid big time to switch. would not be a good move because when you mention draft it is who you think of.
not gonna happen....2 words: MIKE MAYOCK...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #13
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i got 5 words: MEL KIPER AND MIKE MAYOCK. on the same set. watch the egos clash. it's going to be good.

NFL can't let Kiper go, though. he IS the draft.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007   #14
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

If I had as much air time as Mel Kiper I would be right about way more prospects than him and I don't even consider myself very good at it.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007   #15
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Someone should bet Mel Kiper to change his hair...

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Kipers been doing it too long, if he was really good some team would be impressed & put him on the payroll. Maycok for instance has impressed some teams & may in fact be hired in that capacity. When nobody cared & the internet/draft sites where few & far between Kiper built his niche, put in hours & hours of research to learn every prospect & teams intentions before each NFL draft, so he will always be considered the God Father of the NFL Draft, but I also sense he is suffering from burnout, fresh veiwpoints & relunctance from the new heads of states around the NFL to share information

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #17
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 27348 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Someone should bet Mel Kiper to change his hair...
thats like asking Geraldo to get rid of that thing he calls a mustache...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin229 View Post
Well, was he? lol
Old 05-19-2007   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Kipers been doing it too long, if he was really good some team would be impressed & put him on the payroll. Maycok for instance has impressed some teams & may in fact be hired in that capacity. When nobody cared & the internet/draft sites where few & far between Kiper built his niche, put in hours & hours of research to learn every prospect & teams intentions before each NFL draft, so he will always be considered the God Father of the NFL Draft, but I also sense he is suffering from burnout, fresh veiwpoints & relunctance from the new heads of states around the NFL to share information
Well I don't pay for ESPNs coverage. so I've been out of their loop for some time now on Kiper. Will say I thought the NFLnetwork's coverage was very good. No one has ever handled the green room with more class and dignity than Deion Sanders did this year. I know they give the emmey to Criss Collingsworth every year, but Sanders has my vote this year. He has worked himself in to one of the better NFL features men in the bussiness.

I disagree with your assement Kast. Mayock is a films guy. Kiper is a scouts/GM mouth peice. They would not be able to coexsist on the same set. And Mayock has a temper. Unless you're saying you would like to see Kiper embarressed on an annual basist, I do not think it would make for very good TV. I think it would be a very volital mix. I thought the play from Palmer and Mayock was just enough. Davis and the big guy were just enough to offer a nice twist with their features. Risen was lost. But i figgured he would be. If it's not on the prompter, he's not going to get it. I wonder what his wonderlick score would be ? I hope that they don't monkey with what they had this year. I refuse to give the baseball network any of my nfl money . NFLnetwork did a very good job.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read