Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 06-16-2007   #201
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Carr-Schwab-Williams-Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I don't know if Mora did watch any Texans games but he did say that the Texans were a bad team ....
Now that's some compelling commentary there. I may need to listen to him more.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007   #202
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know if Mora did watch any Texans games but he did say that the Texans were a bad team and he should know about bad teams considering how many bad teams he has coached.

BTW, I haven't seen the Mariuchi clip.
I don't put much into what Mora thinks about our team judging by the fact that he thinks David is agood because of his completion %.Not that he doesn't know football,just that i know he didn't watch any games of ours last year.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007   #203
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliantTexan View Post
I don't put much into what Mora thinks about our team judging by the fact that he thinks David is agood because of his completion %.Not that he doesn't know football,just that i know he didn't watch any games of ours last year.
How do you know that he didn't watch any of the Texans's games from last year?
Old 06-16-2007   #204
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Now that's some compelling commentary there. I may need to listen to him more.
My point was that unless someone in the press asks Jim Mora if he actually watched any of the Texans's games from last year then nobody knows if he did or not. I wrote it in response to the insinuation that Mora had not watched any of the Texan's games from last year.
Old 06-16-2007   #205
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How do you know that he didn't watch any of the Texans's games from last year?
Because he judges Carr by his completion %. Which if he actually watched games he would see that the majority(and by that I about 97%)of his passes were dump-offs and outlet passes.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007   #206
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliantTexan View Post
Because he judges Carr by his completion %. Which if he actually watched games he would see that the majority(and by that I about 97%)of his passes were dump-offs and outlet passes.
That doesn't mean he didn't watch any of the Texans's games. You assume that he didn't watch any of the Texan's games because of his analysis, but it doesn't prove anything regarding whether or not he watched the games.
Old 06-16-2007   #207
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That doesn't mean he didn't watch any of the Texans's games. .
If I was making a case for Carr, about the last thing I'd do is cite his completion percentage from last year. That's a bit of a dead giveaway that he doesn't have a good platform to speak from on the Texans - aside from they were a bad team which any pre-K can conclude. The completion percentage argument is even more lame than blaming everything on the offensive line.
Sponsored links
Old 06-16-2007   #208
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

That's your opinion and you are entitiled to it, just as Jim Mora is entitiled to his opinion based on whatever he wants to use as evidence, regardless of what you think about it.
Old 06-16-2007   #209
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That's your opinion and you are entitiled to it....
That's good to know.

At least it's an informed opinion -- not sure about Mora's.

I respect Mora, but the completion percentage argument is so 'out there' that it taints the rest of his commentary on that particular point.

Last edited by aj.; 06-16-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2007   #210
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if you've watched or played football ... you can come up with your own conclusions . Do you really need someone to tell you everything or is it you're trying to find an expert to agree with you .

There have been posters here who have questioned Carr since at least Jan. 2005 ... that's when I joined . In my opinion they were spot on , he had some fatal flaws in his game .

To say Schaub will suffer the same fate is just to easy ... it's like well my last tire had a flat because I drove it over some rocks so I know my new tire will have a flat to . Maybe we have a better tire .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007   #211
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar The Titan View Post
Or maybe Schwab is so unproven it is ridiculous to expect anything.
So was Vince Young last year this time, but plenty of people saw potential for greatness, including many Texans fans.

You're just trying to tell me there's a double-standard with that line.

Quote:
It could mean that he believes that the QB change is irrelevant because the pass protection provided by the Offensive Line is too bad to be able to notice the differences in the QB's
Three of our linemen are still here from the 2002 team, through two different regimes at that. The QB is gone, though....hmmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
Is that all you got? You use that on pittbull you use that on me. The fact is you have a slower less mobile QB behind an O-line that collapses on a regular basis. Shammy had a decent line in Atlanta that kept active. How is he going to handle pressure on every play? How is it going to be in those 3rd and long sets? There is not much game film on Shammy but there is plenty on the Texans O-line.
You brag of a superior education, admit that our previous QB was far below average, say that you are just here to talk football and not troll....yet you profess very little knowledge about the Texans and seem to have only trash to talk 99% of the time. You sound more like a sheep bleeting out the ESPiN nonsense. One 'expert' says something, so they all have to herd together.

Welcome to the flock.

Old 06-16-2007   #212
ChildressTitanMan
Veteran

Rep Power: 316 ChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I was making a case for Carr, about the last thing I'd do is cite his completion percentage from last year. That's a bit of a dead giveaway that he doesn't have a good platform to speak from on the Texans - aside from they were a bad team which any pre-K can conclude. The completion percentage argument is even more lame than blaming everything on the offensive line.
Not so fast aj.

Good coaching works around a weakness & all those short passes last year worked well to manage a few issues with both Carr & the line. Expect to see plenty more of them this year too.

There's possibly 3 new guys on your O line who will take time to gell, along with Schaub being eased into the role.

Schaub should not be gun shy from too many sacks but I'll be shocked if he's cut loose straight away & chance being thrown to the wolves. I still expect Kubiak to start out conservatively with Schaub uintil he knows what he has to work with.
ChildressTitanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007   #213
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's your opinion and you are entitiled to it, just as Jim Mora is entitiled to his opinion based on whatever he wants to use as evidence, regardless of what you think about it.
Mora is entitled to his opinion, but it is safe to say he hasn't watched 50 Texans games in person and 50 on TV as aj, I and many others around here (maybe including you) have.

1569 of 2767 yds passing was yards after catch for Carr on 302 completions. That means on average Carr passed for 4 yards and then the WR's made 5 afterward. Using the completion % argument under those circumstances is beyond silly and demonstrates Mora did no more than look at the 1st page of NFL.com's stats for Carr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildressTitanMan View Post
There's possibly 3 new guys on your O line who will take time to gell, along with Schaub being eased into the role.
Wow, you have some inside scoop that hasn't been released because odds are no one is going to start on the OL to begin the season who has not started there before. At most one, if Spencer cannot come back and Black beats Salaam out.

Last edited by infantrycak; 06-16-2007 at 09:15 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007   #214
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Three of our linemen are still here from the 2002 team, through two different regimes at that. The QB is gone, though....hmmmmm...
I already aswered that presumption.

Quote:
As for the Texans getting rid of David Carr being used as an example that he was the problem, hasn't anyone heard of personnel moves being made for business reasons. In otherwords, it is quite possible that Carr was replaced to appease the fans to avoid losing revenue. It wouldn't be the first time that a professional sports franchise made such a move.
Old 06-16-2007   #215
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Mora is entitled to his opinion, but it is safe to say he hasn't watched 50 Texans games in person and 50 on TV as aj, I and many others around here (maybe including you) have.
80 ...... oh, sorry you said in person.... and you were including preseason I guess.... so that would be 50 home and 6 away....56.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildressTitanMan View Post

Good coaching works around a weakness & all those short passes last year worked well to manage a few issues with both Carr & the line. Expect to see plenty more of them this year too.
Yeah, a few issues. Lol...

I think I know what to expect this year. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildressTitanMan
There's possibly 3 new guys on your O line who will take time to gell,
Huh?

Last edited by aj.; 06-16-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-16-2007   #216
ChildressTitanMan
Veteran

Rep Power: 316 ChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow, you have some inside scoop that hasn't been released because odds are no one is going to start on the OL to begin the season who has not started there before. At most one, if Spencer cannot come back and Black beats Salaam out.
O'reilly?

So I try & put a positive spin on the fresh meat you brought in but you admit the line will still be a problem.
Old 06-16-2007   #217
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Quote:
Mora is entitled to his opinion, but it is safe to say he hasn't watched 50 Texans games in person and 50 on TV as aj, I and many others around here (maybe including you).

1569 of 2767 yds passing was yards after catch for Carr on 302 completions. That means on average Carr passed for 4 yards and then the WR's made 5 afterward. Using the completion % argument under those circumstances is beyond silly and demonstrates Mora did no more than look at the 1st page of NFL.com's stats for Carr.
Yes, I did watch everyone of those games; although, mostly on TV as I am a fan, but not a season ticket holder. Regardless of what the yards per completion average was they were still completions, and I went to the game against the Redskins last year and saw a long completion Carr threw to Andre with my own eyes so I am sick of people telling me he never throws deep, like it was his choice. Unlike some of the people on here that don't know a bad O-Line when they see one, I do. When your Offensive Coordinator has to resort to having your QB only take 3 step drops and dump it off immediately because the Offenssive Line can't provide pass protection for your QB long enough to allow deep passing paterns, it isn't the QB's fault. We are going to get to see how different things are this year possibily for both the Texans and Carr. If the line improves for the Texans that is great, but I'm not holding my breath, and if Carr gets a chance to play behind Carolina's already decent line and plays well I guess that should put to rest some of the erroneous accusations about his inabilities.
Old 06-16-2007   #218
ChildressTitanMan
Veteran

Quote:
80 ...... oh, sorry you said in person.... and you were including preseason I guess.... so that would be 50 home and 6 away....56.

Yeah, a few issues. Lol...

I think I know what to expect this year. Thanks.

Huh?
Black, Frye & Studdard.
Old 06-16-2007   #219
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Regardless of what the yards per completion average was they were still completions
Except regardless doesn't apply. I'd rather have a QB completing 60% of his passes for 8 yds in the air than one completing 68% of his passes for 4 yds in the air--it matters.

Quote:
and I went to the game against the Redskins last year and saw a long completion Carr threw to Andre with my own eyes so I am sick of people telling me he never throws deep
And if you were familiar with my posting history, I have frequently corrected unwarranted attacks on Carr, but at the same time I see the problems as well. Yes Carr has thrown deep but frankly, he did it much better early in his career rather than lately.
Old 06-16-2007   #220
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Quote:
Except regardless doesn't apply. I'd rather have a QB completing 60% of his passes for 8 yds in the air than one completing 68% of his passes for 4 yds in the air--it matters.

And if you were familiar with my posting history, I have frequently corrected unwarranted attacks on Carr, but at the same time I see the problems as well. Yes Carr has thrown deep but frankly, he did it much better early in his career rather than lately.
Yes and the reasons his ypc avg went down can be directly attributed to the lack of passing protection provided by the O-Line. You see low ypc avg is the symptom and bad O-line play is the disease. The way I see it is that many who post here are misdiagnosing the disease with its symptoms.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read