Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2007   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Comparing Expansion Plans

I was in a discussion comparing Jax and Car plans to ours. Didnt they get an extra first rounder on top of having more flexibility in free agency...considering it was new? Just trying to compare and find out if ours was at more of a disadvantage than earlier ones.

I know this has been over several times. I am curious though to the differences.

thanks!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I was in a discussion comparing Jax and Car plans to ours. Didnt they get an extra first rounder on top of having more flexibility in free agency...considering it was new? Just trying to compare and find out if ours was at more of a disadvantage than earlier ones.

I know this has been over several times. I am curious though to the differences.

thanks!
I remember comparing them once, but my alzheimer gets the best of me, lol.
I think one of them has a slight edge, the other about the same.

But the key was the free agents they were able to pull in the first couple of years, they both definitely had an advantage over us.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007   #3
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I remember comparing them once, but my alzheimer gets the best of me, lol.
I think one of them has a slight edge, the other about the same.

But the key was the free agents they were able to pull in the first couple of years, they both definitely had an advantage over us.
Its obvious I have the same symptoms of alzheimers as you.
Old 04-26-2007   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't remember the exact terms, but Carolina and Jacksonville got much sweeter expansion deals than us or Cleveland did. The Browns are still trying to claw their way out...and come to think of it, so are we!!

I'll see what I can dig up, because I remember this subject being brought up in the past.
Old 04-26-2007   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Both Carolina and Jacksonville got picks at the top and bottom of each round. Plus, I don't think they had cap restrictions as the Texans did. The owners remembered the Panthers raiding rosters in free agency, and made sure the Browns and the Texans couldn't do the same.
Old 04-26-2007   #6
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Both Carolina and Jacksonville got picks at the top and bottom of each round. Plus, I don't think they had cap restrictions as the Texans did. The owners remembered the Panthers raiding rosters in free agency, and made sure the Browns and the Texans couldn't do the same.
Thats how I remember it too.

Much obliged fellow Texan fans!
Old 04-26-2007   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I would also add that when Jax and Carolina came into the league, it was the beginning of the new salary cap. The new teams had a lot to spend, and the old teams didn't know how to work the system keep their best guys under the cap yet.

The other teams got mad at their quick success and losing some of their best players so the later expansion deals weren't so cush. By the time the Texans came along, teams knew how to manage their cap better so they could keep their players who were worth the money they were being paid and could use the expansion draft to get rid of problem contracts--where the players were making more money than their performance.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-27-2007   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember both Carolina and Jacksonville made the AFC and NFC Championship games in their 2nd year. They both lost, but that would have made for a weird Super Bowl. Two teams with little interest outside of their own cities. I don't really blame owners for changing the way expansion teams could be built after those two. The Texans and Browns didn't get a raw deal, they just have had poor management make poor decisions.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
The Texans and Browns didn't get a raw deal, they just have had poor management make poor decisions.
Some bad luck as well--the 2002 draft has proven to be very poor overall. Not a great foundation year.
Old 04-27-2007   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 115090 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Good job Lucky.. Thats kind of how I remember it too.. I'm sure there are some more specific things, but I think that was the general premise behind our expansion versus the Panthers and Jags
Old 04-27-2007   #11
A Texan
Veteran

Back when the Cowboys came in the League in 1960, they didn't have the free agency like they do today, but the expansion draft was a lot sweeter. Teams could only protect 25 players, so the rest were fair game. Even so, the Cowboys didn't do anything the 1st 5 years, but when they did get rolling under Landry, they went straight to the top. Maybe the same will happen for the Texans.
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read