Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-25-2007   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Need to stretch the field. What happens if we lose AJ for a few games? We do not have a wide out to take his place. Mathis has not proved anything as a WR. We should go CB & pick up a another 3rd or maybe even a 2nd rd and grab another WR. Out TE and slot is not a worry unless we try to make them into a #2 WR.
Old 04-25-2007   #22
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Wr2 is a big as need as it looks on paper now at least. Sure it would be nice but i think Oline should by far be our prioirity with secondary help second. Mostly because a lot of what we're going to do is predicated off the running game.

I think we'll have options far as our offense goes and what idon't get is how some people seem to think some forms of WCO are vertical happy. In the typical WCO you take your shots downfield but it's not a staple really. Shorter passes and timing routes are the staple of it.

I think we'll be fine with AJ, whomever is trotted out as #2 when the season starts, OD, Green and....i think people are discounting what Leach brings to the table as a option out of the backfield. Kubiak's Offense in Denver had Howard Griffith(if i remember right) who was a great blocking FB and could come out of the backfield and grab a pass or two. While the dink and dunk style of taking what defenses give isn't flashy or golorious....long as it gets in the endzone it's effective.

Dynamic offenses aren't just relegated to the WR position. If AJ got his own last year....this year he should get even more.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #23
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 57823 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
It is clearly Kubiak's ideal plan to utilize the TE position. He was doing so last year and OD was leading the league in TE TD's until they shut the offense down for Carr.

If OD was leading the league in TE TD's, who was getting the ball to him?.

We have a new QB now, the haters won, or haven't you heard?.

Old 04-25-2007   #24
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

The haters did not win, common sense did.

In the first game against Tennessee, second half, Owen Daniels had two of his 5 TDs with Rosenfels passing. He also caught 5 passes for 56 yards from Sage in the same half. 40% of OD's TD passes, 14.7% of his catches and 15.9% of his yards came in one half with Sage at QB. One half of play equates to 3% of the season.

Rub some dirt on it.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebo...061029_HOU@TEN

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/409170
Old 04-25-2007   #25
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i wouldn't draft a wr till the 4th. we have more pressing needs to address and all we are looking for is a #2.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #26
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 57823 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
The haters did not win, common sense did.

In the first game against Tennessee, second half, Owen Daniels had two of his 5 TDs with Rosenfels passing. He also caught 5 passes for 56 yards from Sage in the same half. 40% of OD's TD passes, 14.7% of his catches and 15.9% of his yards came in one half with Sage at QB. One half of play equates to 3% of the season.

Rub some dirt on it.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebo...061029_HOU@TEN

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/409170
But it was all garbage time.

Any positive offensive stats last year were accumulated in garbage time, weren't they?.

I'll support Shaub now...he will be needing it.

Old 04-25-2007   #27
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
i wouldn't draft a wr till the 4th. we have more pressing needs to address and all we are looking for is a #2.
More pressing needs?

At safety at least we have C.C. Brown. At CB at least we have Demarcus Faggins. At OT we at least might have Charles Spencer.

Right now Kevin Walter is our #2 WR!!!!!
Old 04-25-2007   #28
nedthehead
Rookie

If the Texans draft a guy like Craig Davis on the second round they would be set at the number 2 spot.
nedthehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #29
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
I would also have said DA is much quicker and probably faster straight line as well.

Agreed and I have no idea whether or not his "numbers" would confirm that. I just know he seems to be better at getting seperation and he seems quicker once he makes the catch. Frankly I don't even care if he's not "truly" faster. He plays that way and I think we all agree that it's time the Texans stop just focusing on measurables and find some guys who are players. Every time I've seen David Anderson involved he looked like he was about to make something happen. We've had so little of that in the last 5 years.
Old 04-26-2007   #30
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I don't think Wr2 is a big as need as it looks on paper now at least. Sure it would be nice but i think Oline should by far be our prioirity with secondary help second. Mostly because a lot of what we're going to do is predicated off the running game.

I think we'll have options far as our offense goes and what idon't get is how some people seem to think some forms of WCO are vertical happy. In the typical WCO you take your shots downfield but it's not a staple really. Shorter passes and timing routes are the staple of it.

I think we'll be fine with AJ, whomever is trotted out as #2 when the season starts, OD, Green and....i think people are discounting what Leach brings to the table as a option out of the backfield. Kubiak's Offense in Denver had Howard Griffith(if i remember right) who was a great blocking FB and could come out of the backfield and grab a pass or two. While the dink and dunk style of taking what defenses give isn't flashy or golorious....long as it gets in the endzone it's effective.

Dynamic offenses aren't just relegated to the WR position. If AJ got his own last year....this year he should get even more.
I can't help saying it:

OH, GREAT! NOW WE WANNA DINK AND DUNK ALL GAME LONG.

(I missed the brickwall dude.)

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007   #31
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I can't help saying it:

As long as we can mix in an abundance of 6-yd. hitch routes, I'm all for it.
Old 04-26-2007   #32
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I can't help saying it:

I never even implied such a thing as all game long. Most GOOD teams take what the defense gives them and know when to go over the top. But hey i'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss.

IMO what we saw last year was inconsistency in the running game for most of the year and those short passes served as part of the running game. I'm confident between Green and Dayne next year out of the gate we won't have that problem. What does throw up a red flag is consistent line play which has been a terrible trademark for this team. Solve the lines then you can have the flashy skilled position player.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007   #33
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

I am just trying to look at depth. Injuries happen, and what if A. Johnson goes down, the point is we don't have much depth at WR. Also the O-line we don't have much quality depth either. It would be nice to see them go offense in the first round, but I think it could very eaisly be a defensive 1st round pick.
Old 04-26-2007   #34
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Outside of Andre Johnson, the rest of the wide receivers on our roster caught a combined 20 passes last season. Call me crazy but I think WR is one of our biggest needs.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007   #35
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Outside of Andre Johnson, the rest of the wide receivers on our roster caught a combined 20 passes last season. Call me crazy but I think WR is one of our biggest needs.
Well, I think that is due in large part to our passing offense going straight down the tubes as Kubiak totally lost faith in Carr's ability to hold on to the ball.

How many passes did SD receivers catch, aside from Gates and McCardell? How about KC, aside from Gonzo and Kennison? Or Baltimore, aside from Heap and Mason? My point is that we can have a very productive passing offense with AJ and OD as our two receiving threats. The precedent has been set by other teams and the blueprint is there. As has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, Shannon Sharpe and Rod Smith were the #1 and #2 receiving threats for the Broncos for a number of years.

So yes, WR2 is a need, but I don't classify it as big of a need as LT, CB, S, DT, or even LB.

By the way, Eric Moulds caught 57 passes last year.
Old 04-26-2007   #36
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Well, I think that is due in large part to our passing offense going straight down the tubes as Kubiak totally lost faith in Carr's ability to hold on to the ball.

How many passes did SD receivers catch, aside from Gates and McCardell? How about KC, aside from Gonzo and Kennison? Or Baltimore, aside from Heap and Mason? My point is that we can have a very productive passing offense with AJ and OD as our two receiving threats. The precedent has been set by other teams and the blueprint is there. As has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, Shannon Sharpe and Rod Smith were the #1 and #2 receiving threats for the Broncos for a number of years.

So yes, WR2 is a need, but I don't classify it as big of a need as LT, CB, S, DT, or even LB.

By the way, Eric Moulds caught 57 passes last year.

San Diego wide receivers minus Gates and McCardell: 90 catches

Baltimore wide receivers minus Heap and Mason: 91 catches

Kansas City wide receivers minus Gonzo and Kennison: 46 catches

Then you must take into account that we do not have the dominant rushing attack both San Diego and Kansas City possess.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007   #37
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Eric Moulds caught 57 passes last year. It's not like it was Andre and nobody. Those catches will go to whomever is in his shoes. I don't think we need to spend our top pick on this position since Andre and Daniels make a nice twosome.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007   #38
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

plus we have walters... kubiak likes walters.
Old 04-26-2007   #39
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
San Diego wide receivers minus Gates and McCardell: 90 catches

Baltimore wide receivers minus Heap and Mason: 91 catches

Kansas City wide receivers minus Gonzo and Kennison: 46 catches

Then you must take into account that we do not have the dominant rushing attack both San Diego and Kansas City possess.
I don't know how you get to these numbers.

But anyway, we will likely be incorporating our RBs in the passing game even more, now that we have Green on board. Our 4 RBs had a combined 66 catches last year. Green had 46 by himself, and he can do more with it afterward, as his 8ypc indicates.

That would lessen the need of another bonafide receiver, but I wouldnt mind trading back our first and get a guy like Sidney Rice who played faster than his unspectacular speed. The guy can really sky and stretch for the ball, probably a mid 2nd rounder.
If we want a speed burner, our local UH guy Vincent Marshall, 4.38-40 is a sleeper. Yes he's short and small, but always has the knack for getting open. Seems like he has been climbing up the chart a bit, ever since he got HM on the Rivals.com All-Bowl team. CDS has him at #23 at WR, but there's a possibility that he won't even get drafted.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007   #40
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon View Post
plus we have walters... kubiak likes walters.
Or spins it that way since Moulds didn't work out.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read