Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-25-2007   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Team needs WR? What about Owen Daniels?

OK, so we don't have a guy at the #2 spot that most would feel comfortable going into the season with. KW, Davis, and Mathis all = a big ?, to be sure. Consider this, though:

KC for more than a few years had Tony Gonzales as their #1 receiver, with Kennison putting up 2nd-best numbers (well, or Priest), who is nowhere near as talented as AJ.

Antonio Gates has been the Chargers' leading receiver for a couple years now. They have McCardell, who is good, but a little long in the tooth and certainly not as talented as AJ.

Until Mason arrived, Todd Heap was the Ravens' go-to guy, with an assortment of journeymen receivers.

The Patriots have gotten major production from their TE position, with Branch and a host of other WRs, albeit the TE position was by committee.

The Falcons have Crumpler and no one.

Anyway, you get the idea. Those teams all have TEs that they rely on to be their #1 receiver. We don't really have that need, since we have AJ, but how about letting OD be the one that takes the pressure off AJ? How about letting him run patterns up the seams, in the middle, and in the flats? I think an AJ-OD combo would be effective and allow KW and Mathis time to adjust and see what they can bring to the team. Thoughts?
Old 04-25-2007   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

It is clearly Kubiak's ideal plan to utilize the TE position. He was doing so last year and OD was leading the league in TE TD's until they shut the offense down for Carr.
Old 04-25-2007   #3
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

OD, "my boy!" I was ticked when he stopped getting looks/plays.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
It is clearly Kubiak's ideal plan to utilize the TE position. He was doing so last year and OD was leading the league in TE TD's until they shut the offense down for Carr.
Yeah, except that Kubiak has never really had a dominant TE in one of his offenses. In Denver, it was TEBC. Putzier never had more than 36 or 37 catches, and other TEs picked up some receptions along the way. I am just wondering if Kubiak would utilize OD in a manner that resulted in 55-70 catches, a la Gonzales, Gates, Heap, Crumpler, or even Cooley. I think if you had paired one of those elite TEs with a WR of AJ's caliber at any point, the results would have been awesome. I am not certain OD can be that guy, of course, but so much of that comes down to opportunity and scheme. I am optimistic he could be, but I don't know that he'll get the chance.
Old 04-25-2007   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Yeah, except that Kubiak has never really had a dominant TE in one of his offenses.
I think you are forgetting Shannon Sharpe (never had less than 60 receptions under Kubiak except an injury year plus one season over 1000 yds and one over 1100 yds) who was under Kubiak from 1995 to 2003.
Old 04-25-2007   #6
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Yeah, except that Kubiak has never really had a dominant TE in one of his offenses.
Shannon Sharpe?
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with your premise, especially when you add Ahman Green and a QB who may feel comfortable in a collapsing pocket into the mix.

WR2 is a need on paper, but may not be one from an execution level if the current parts gel together.
Old 04-25-2007   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Owen very much, just want him to keep improving his blocking skill.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think you are forgetting Shannon Sharpe (never had less than 60 receptions under Kubiak except an injury year plus one season over 1000 yds and one over 1100 yds) who was under Kubiak from 1995 to 2003.
Woohoo! I did forget him LOL. Now I have hope again. Thanks
Old 04-25-2007   #10
CrunkTex
Balllllllin

I don't know why people are under the impression that Schaub and Green are going to change anything. Different names and faces but Schaub is still unproven and Green is over the hill. Adding a legitimate #2 to take pressure off of AJ, our only offensive weapon, would definitely be a start. Daniels is great but I don't think he's exactly going to alter opponent's game plans. Of all the teams you mentioned who prominently use TE's, they either have great RB's, a great O-line, or both. We...have neither.
Old 04-25-2007   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

With Andre and Owens we don't need an "elite" wr2. We can 'patriot' the wr2 and go wrbc there depending on how defenses are playing you. Put in Andre Davis if they crowd the box, but in Walters when teams are laying back in a cover2 shell as he is a bigger more physical wr....I also think I like David Anderson in the slot and think he will make some plays this year. He has some nice yac ability. We need to get him the Don Bebee great gazoo helmet though.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #12
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I think Daniels went unused after those first few games primarily because Carr just wasn't good at throwing to the middle of the field. I think we'll see Daniels become a big contributor this year ... assuming Schaub lives up to his billing.
Old 04-25-2007   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunkTex View Post
I don't know why people are under the impression that Schaub and Green are going to change anything.
How about because even marginal QB play will be a drastic improvement? Tell you what, in 5 years of Carr play, find me one play as good as the one Schaub made evading the grasp of pressure from the LDE, rolling to his right and then actually stopping and making a 60 TD pass to Price. 2 games vs. 76 games ought to be easy to find one.
Old 04-25-2007   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I also think like David Anderson in the slot and think he will make some plays this year.
DA our surprise weapon this year ? There's a scoop. Actually, DA to me is a smaller, slower version of Keven Walters.
But you've made a few calls that turned out to be insighful V. And at the same time, I reseve to right to remind you about this one if he gets cut before the regular season starts.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Anderson seems much quicker than Walters does to me. He also avoids tacklers better. I don't know who has more straight line speed though.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #16
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Anderson seems much quicker than Walters does to me. He also avoids tacklers better. I don't know who has more straight line speed though.
I would also have said DA is much quicker and probably faster straight line as well.
Old 04-25-2007   #17
CrunkTex
Balllllllin

I don't know if it's a Colts hangover or elation that Carr's gone or just unabashed homerism, but I don't think most of you realize that this is one of the 5 worst teams in the NFL right now. In fact, it may very well take a miracle for us to improve on 6-10. The light at the end of the tunnel for this team isn't the playoffs. The light is Darren McFadden.
Old 04-25-2007   #18
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anderson seems much quicker than Walters does to me.
Dang V, he's about a half foot shorter than Walters. Guys with short stubby legs almost always look quicker than the long striders.
But I hope you're right about DA. It's well known we need all the help we can get at receiver.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #19
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Owen will be their "Novachek." They remind me of one another. Slighter build but a guy who seems to be able to get open and a deceptively quick. They really need a quality guy in the draft to go with Walters. I think leaving Owen at TE and going this route will make the team much more successful in the red zone.
Old 04-25-2007   #20
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This whole discussion about a legit #2 WR really revolves around Schuab.

If Schuab is as good as Kubiak/Smith think, then probably going on the expensive side for a #2 WR really isn't required.

Also, just because Carr couldn't get it done for the Texans last year, doesn't mean Schuab is doomed to failure.

It's really going to be interesting to see what happens this year!
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read