Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-24-2007   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Article About Texans and their draft.

Here's an AP article worth reading. In part...

Quote:
The Texans thought they'd found their left tackle of the future in the third round of last year's draft when they chose the gargantuan Charles Spencer. He looked promising early before breaking his leg in Week 2. Coach Gary Kubiak said Spencer's injury was one of the biggest disappointments of last year's 6-10 season and there's only about a 50 percent chance the 6-foot-4, 350-pound player will be healthy enough to play this season.

Houston signed former Kansas City tackle Jordan Black to help fill that hole if Spencer can't play and the team isn't able to add someone in the draft.

"We've had some signings that have taken pressure off of our football team on draft day," Kubiak said. "I know everybody here is concerned about a left tackle; we're obviously concerned about Spencer."

Still Kubiak insists the team will take the best player available regardless of position with its top pick.

"You don't want to reach on draft day," he said. "As a football team you don't ever want to feel like you're in a position where you reach on a player because of a position and you're wrong."
I thought it was 50/50 that Spencer would be able to start the season, not 50/50 that he could play at all.
Old 04-24-2007   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Have to be careful with this kind of reporting. Kubiak made the 50/50 comment a couple months ago but it keeps getting reported as new and restated rather than quoted.
Old 04-24-2007   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Have to be careful with this kind of reporting. Kubiak made the 50/50 comment a couple months ago but it keeps getting reported as new and restated rather than quoted.
Yuppers. McClain said on the radio that the number was better than 50/50 lately. Lance Z mentioned that the stuff he had heard is that even if he does play, it will take a year to determine if he has an arthritic condition in the knee.

Ultimately, I don't think really anything has changed with the story as they have said since the end of last season:

1. They've said they aren't going to count on any injured players as being alright. If they are, it will be gravy.

2. They are going to take the BPA and not reach for need.

3. They were going to use the offseason to make it less necessary to reach for need and to create depth.

4. Spencer's injury is a serious one and an unusual one for a football player. (Makes it particularly hard to project recovery time). It is going to take time to see how he will be able to play.
Old 04-24-2007   #4
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a realist who likes to keep a lid on his expectations. Therefor my hope and also most optimistic expectation is that Spencer has finished rehab and is fit and ready to seriously compete for a starting position on the OLine in Summer training camp. And that's the training camp of 2008, not this year.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007   #5
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Yuppers. McClain said on the radio that the number was better than 50/50 lately. Lance Z mentioned that the stuff he had heard is that even if he does play, it will take a year to determine if he has an arthritic condition in the knee.

Ultimately, I don't think really anything has changed with the story as they have said since the end of last season:

1. They've said they aren't going to count on any injured players as being alright. If they are, it will be gravy.

3. They were going to use the offseason to make it less necessary to reach for need and to create depth.

4. Spencer's injury is a serious one and an unusual one for a football player. (Makes it particularly hard to project recovery time). It is going to take time to see how he will be able to play.
I do think they have done just that. They have added depth, not a stud or star player, just depth. The one thing that has always got me about articles is that they use a quote from a person but you hardly ever see the question that was possed to get the quote, why is that??
Old 04-24-2007   #6
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

The smart move is to act as if Spencer will be on IR this upcoming season.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought it was 50/50 that Spencer would be able to start the season, not 50/50 that he could play at all.
I think they are gradually breaking the news to the fan base.
Old 04-24-2007   #8
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I think they are gradually breaking the news to the fan base.
Attachment 225

Last edited by feebleminded; 04-09-2008 at 09:57 PM.
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I know. Sorry.
Old 04-24-2007   #10
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

even if spencer isn't ready i hope we dont draft levi.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007   #11
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

No worries. We got I-65 to replace him...and Salaam - he did REALLY well last year (my eyes still don't agree, but the fanbase assures me he is a terrific player)...
Old 04-24-2007   #12
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Still Kubiak insists the team will take the best player available regardless of position with its top pick.
I think its easy for Kubes to say that we will take the best player available this year because we have a lot of needs. In a few years, hopefully, he won’t be able to say that any more. Also, there seems to be a lot of players who could easily be considered No. 10 talent. I think Kubes and Smith have a very big decision in front of them.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #13
Da_General
Obnoxious Musician

Rep Power: 18 Da_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
I agree, but only to a point. What if the BPA is a MLB or QB? Do we draft a position that's not an upgrade over what we already have?

BPAOIWNTUTP

(Best Player Available Only If We Need To Upgrade That Position)
Old 04-25-2007   #14
CrunkTex
Balllllllin

No matter who the Texans draft, I think we should make him apologize to the fans for future underperformance at his introduction press conference. That way we'll be elated when he's only a modest bust and not a Travis Johnson-esque bust.
Old 04-25-2007   #15
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 110481 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Taking the BPA seems to be the smart thing to do IMO . With as many needs the team has they need an upgrade at every position . There isn't one position on this team that I can honestly say that they are "set" at . Unless there is a trade down scenario that gives a 15-20 pick , a second rounder this year , and maybe a conditional second rounder next year , that would be cool .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #16
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunkTex View Post
No matter who the Texans draft, I think we should make him apologize to the fans for future underperformance at his introduction press conference. That way we'll be elated when he's only a modest bust and not a Travis Johnson-esque bust.
That's a dumb thing to say. I don't think there will be many players that will be busts in the top 10 of this draft. I hope we don't draft Brown or Branch though. I all reality though, we never should have moved back to draft TJ. That was a bust in itself. I think we should have pursued Brown or Baron at tackle.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
That's a dumb thing to say. I don't think there will be many players that will be busts in the top 10 of this draft. I hope we don't draft Brown or Branch though. I all reality though, we never should have moved back to draft TJ. That was a bust in itself. I think we should have pursued Brown or Baron at tackle.
It was just sarcasm, shaft!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #18
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
It was just sarcasm, shaft!
I know 76, but it wasn't the least bit funny...
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #19
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_General View Post
I agree, but only to a point. What if the BPA is a MLB or QB? Do we draft a position that's not an upgrade over what we already have?

BPAOIWNTUTP

(Best Player Available Only If We Need To Upgrade That Position)
You know what.......

I might not want QB, but if Patrick Willis was the BPA at #10 and there is no great trade offer, I would be absolutely fine with them picking him with that pick.
Old 04-25-2007   #20
Da_General
Obnoxious Musician

Rep Power: 18 Da_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
You know what.......

I might not want QB, but if Patrick Willis was the BPA at #10 and there is no great trade offer, I would be absolutely fine with them picking him with that pick.
Good example. But that leads us off on the tangent of who gets to move outside...him or DeMeco...pretty good problem to have if it comes to that. I just chose that position because it's obvious after last year that we've got a pretty darn good MLB right now and there are other positions of more importance. Just about all of them, actually.

Honest truth, and I've not said anything up to this point...I'd most like to see us take a lineman...EITHER line...whichever is the BPA. All of the best teams throughout history have had either strong Olines or Dlines or both. Sorry to run out yet another cliche', but the game is usually won or lost in the trenches.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read