Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Your top 10 at 10...

Porky

Hall of Fame
Okay, just to see where everyone's thoughts are at prior to the draft, I thought it would be interesting to list the top 10 players in order of preference that you would like to see the Texans draft at their #10 pick.

A couple of caveats. No trades. This is what you would do if you were Rick Smith, and stayed at #10. Also, for the sake of this exercise, we can eliminate any QB, Calvin Johnson, Gaines Adams, or Joe Thomas, as I have not seen one mock that has a scenario where one of those three guys drop, and of course, there is 0% chance they take a QB. So, here is mine. Feel free to add your own top 10 at 10 list.

1) Adrian Peterson - OK, I know it's very unlikely, but there is probably a 10% chance that he falls, and if so, you have to take him unless someone really ponies up. I see Eric Dickerson with this guy. You don't pass on Eric Dickerson.

2) Levi Brown - I think this guy is this years Jamaal Brown. I see a lot of Brown in Brown (pun intended). Let's protect our QB, which will allow Kubes to use the entire playbook sooner rather than later. If Spencer comes back, we can move one to RT, or Spencer could also play RG. Let's once and for all, improve the line.

3) Amobi Okoye - I actually have him rated over Levi, but Levi gets the nod because I think LT is a more valuable position to draft highly than a DT. But, I would love to see this guy team with #90 for the next decade or more. Could be an amazing combo. Fantastic potential, and his upside is thru the roof.

4) Jamaal Anderson - Even though we have invested heavily in the Dline, we still need help. This guy can rush the passer, and play the run well. Potential pro-bowler, and can really solidify our line.

5) Joe Staley - See #3 as to the reason why. Tremendous athlete, with excellent potential. Slightly more raw than Brown, but may have an even higher upside.

6) Dwayne Bowe - When I look at Bowe, I see Michael Irvin. Big, tough, physical guy who is very well suited for this offense. Plug him in at #2 WR for the next decade. Also a fantastic run blocker.

7) Darrelle Revis - Only corner on my list. Very good, versatile corner who can also be a PR. At one time, I had him slightly behind Houston, but after seeing that Houston will struggle in anything other than press coverage, this guy moved to the front of the class for me. He can play in man or zone, and do either well. I am a lot higher on this guy than I am on Leon Hall, who I don't think is special enough to merit a top 10 pick.

8) Patrick Willis - Should be higher, but where do we play him? He is a natural ILB. Do we put him at Solb, or move Ryans to Solb? Either way, one guy may not be playing at his best position, but there is no doubt in my mind that this guy is a star in the making.

9) Ted Ginn Jr, - He scares me and excites me all at the same time. I see a better version of Devin Hester in this guy, and watched him a ton at OSU. I just get nervous about his ability to stay healthy. Sometimes these guys with true track speed seem to have constant nagging leg injuries. Needs a lot of work to be an accomplished WR, but just his speed alone will take pressure of AJ.

10) Robert Meachum - Again, a little nervous about the guy, since he really only did it for one year, but tremendous upside, and more polished as a WR now than Ginn. But, Ginn gives you a fantastic KR, giving him the edge imo.

Guys I personally left off I have seen in the top 10 were Branch, and Hall.

So, what say you? How does your top 10 shake out and why?

Scooter

Funky
1. adrian peterson. there is no better value at the 10 position than adrian peterson. obviously not a big need position, but simply too much talent to pass up.

2. laron landry. best player at our biggest need. if not for the prospect of peterson, he'd be my obvious first choice. i've seen him as going as high as 6 and is a bonafied starter from day 1. this is the biggest hole on the texan's roster and landry is IMO the obvious choice.

3. reggie nelson. basically the same as landry, i just have him rated behind laron.

4. trade down. outside of safety we dont have any glaring holes that can be filled at the 10 spot without it being a reach (center, outside linebacker, wide receiver).

5. levi brown. i have a feeling that spencer is going to make it back and if he does, spencer's our starter. i'm not entirely ecstatic on this choice. brown here means we'll be shuffling on the line and i'm not sold that he or winston would excell on the interior. that being said, you cant ever have too many strong linemen. as far as i'm concerned, o-line is never a bad pick. with our known struggles, age, and injury history, this is the safe pick.

6. amobi okoye. again not one i'm in love with (would be our 4th consecutive d-lineman in the first round) and IMO not a major need. this kid has winner written all over him though. coming out so young with so much talent already, okoye could be a significant force in the NFL and add a big part of the pass rush we're hurting for.

7. patrick willis. i've heard nothing but great things about willis but i havent done enough studying on him to put him higher. willis here would fill a major hole in our linebacker group and would make an instant impact in both the passing game and against the rush. this is a need position, i'm just not informed enough on whether willis is worth the 10 spot.

8 & 9. i cant really comment on but they'd be the top two rated CB's (probably hall & revis). i dont have nearly enough information on the cornerbacks to say who or why, but it's a semi need position and i've seen these guys being taken by us or near us.

10. robert meachem. i'm going to just trust vinny on this one in that he's a major player. we're in serious need of a #2 wide receiver, but i dont like this class. i think the 3rd round is where the depth of this year's WR's is going to be. meachem would be a huge impact regardless of if it's a reach or not because he'd be able to come in right away and give our new quarterback a legitimate second target (and would free up AJ).

Porky

Hall of Fame
I left Laundry off my board alltogether. I just don't know if he fits what we need, and I don't like taking safety's in round 1. Excellent player, but I see him as a Roy Williams clone, a guy who is a SS/FS tweener, and will probably play in the box a lot. I think we need more of a rangy FS who can cover, more so than a guy who plays in the box. I like the depth at FS and feel we can get one in rd 3 or 4. But, to each their own, and that's that kind of input I was looking for - to provoke thought and debate.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
1. Adrian Peterson- franchise RB that would add some major spark for our team and fans.

2. Laron Landry- great FS with terrific knowledge of the game, could do anything the texans asked him to. great tackler with coverage skills far and beyond any safety on our team..... the demeco ryans of our secondary.

3. Amobi Okoye- Penetrating Defensive tackle that would wreck shop and really help out Mario and our pass rush.

4. Patrick Willis- incredible linebacker that has versatillity. plays with more heart than anybody and will not miss a down. can play outside and inside linebacker...quite possibly the BPA when we pick.

5. Darrelle Revis- best CB in the draft, imo. a shutdown corner that would be great for our team. also can contribute on punt returns. has great instincts and vision.

6. Jamaal Anderson- would be great opposite of mario. two young DE's to wreck shop for years to come. Weaver had shoulder surgery so i'm not sure of him holding up all game for the whole season, switching to DT could be too much for him as a long term switch..

7. Levi Brown- questions concerning spencer's comeback. levi would be a big dude that would help out schaub. If spencer comes back or winston becomes a legit LT, brown could also switch to RT where he's project to be a beast.

8. Leon Hall- top rated corner by many folks. could step in day 1 and play. solid contributer and having two good cb's is very valuable.

9. Reggie Nelson- ball hawking free safety. i think 10 may be too high for him but he would scare some wr's a lot and come up with a few big plays.

10. Joe Staley- been jumping up the boards, i hear different things about him. other possibilities would be robert meachem or dwayne bowe...10 may be high for them too. I'd prefer to get a high 2nd rounder and hope dwayne jarrett would fall there..he'd be better value there than meachem at 10 imo.

or if peterson/landry/okoye/willis are all off the board lets just take RYAN KALIL at 10. ; )

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
1. Adrian Peterson- franchise RB that would add some major spark for our team and fans.

2. Laron Landry- great FS with terrific knowledge of the game, could do anything the texans asked him to. great tackler with coverage skills far and beyond any safety on our team..... the demeco ryans of our secondary.

3. Amobi Okoye- Penetrating Defensive tackle that would wreck shop and really help out Mario and our pass rush.

4. Patrick Willis- incredible linebacker that has versatillity. plays with more heart than anybody and will not miss a down. can play outside and inside linebacker...quite possibly the BPA when we pick.

5. Darrelle Revis- best CB in the draft, imo. a shutdown corner that would be great for our team. also can contribute on punt returns. has great instincts and vision.

6. Jamaal Anderson- would be great opposite of mario. two young DE's to wreck shop for years to come. Weaver had shoulder surgery so i'm not sure of him holding up all game for the whole season, switching to DT could be too much for him as a long term switch..

7. Levi Brown- questions concerning spencer's comeback. levi would be a big dude that would help out schaub. If spencer comes back or winston becomes a legit LT, brown could also switch to RT where he's project to be a beast.

8. Leon Hall- top rated corner by many folks. could step in day 1 and play. solid contributer and having two good cb's is very valuable.

9. Reggie Nelson- ball hawking free safety. i think 10 may be too high for him but he would scare some wr's a lot and come up with a few big plays.

10. Joe Staley- been jumping up the boards, i hear different things about him. other possibilities would be robert meachem or dwayne bowe...10 may be high for them too. I'd prefer to get a high 2nd rounder and hope dwayne jarrett would fall there..he'd be better value there than meachem at 10 imo.

or if peterson/landry/okoye/willis are all off the board lets just take RYAN KALIL at 10. ; )
Close enough for me . One thing I read about Landry that I liked was he was the best tackler that this guy had ever seen .... hmm ... make be a good thing vs Vince .

Scooter

Funky
I left Laundry off my board alltogether. I just don't know if he fits what we need, and I don't like taking safety's in round 1. Excellent player, but I see him as a Roy Williams clone, a guy who is a SS/FS tweener, and will probably play in the box a lot. I think we need more of a rangy FS who can cover, more so than a guy who plays in the box. I like the depth at FS and feel we can get one in rd 3 or 4. But, to each their own, and that's that kind of input I was looking for - to provoke thought and debate.
i think landry can be that cover centerfielder that we're desperate for, like dunta however he's not afraid to lay the wood and is excellent on the blitz. i think that's a lot of the reason he's seen as more of a tweener. what he provides though is speed (4.35 and doesnt lose a step with pads on) and has serious range ... something brown, simmons, and earl will never be accused of (just ask lee evans). i see what you're saying though, the last thing we need is another half & half safety, i just dont think that that's what landry is.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
If you eliminate guys like Calvin Johnson, Adams, and Thomas, I don't think there are 10 players worth the number 10 pick. However, if I were to list 10 players I thought the Texans should draft at # 10 or further down in the 1st round, it would include:

1. Adrian Peterson - I know he won't be there at #10. You know he won't be there. But some internet draft experts still think it's a possibility, so I'm putting Peterson on my list. He's the one player out of this draft that can most quickly turn a losing team into a winner.

2. Levi Brown - Right now, the Texans do not have an starting caliber LT. Spencer is still injured, and he was unproven prior to the injury. Black and Salaam have proven to be backup NFL tackles. Eric Winston at LT? Maybe. Who wants Matt Schaub's blindside protected by a couple of maybes and a couple of neverwere's? Brown's a 3-year starter (and star) from a premier school in a premier conference. No more concerns about injuries, no more small school projects, no more journeymen. Take Levi Brown and put this problem to bed for the next 6 years.

3. Darrelle Revis - Despite being an underclassman, Revis has the experience. 3-year starter in the Big East and recieved NFL caliber coaching from Dave Wannestedt. Revis is a playmaker, with 10 turnovers, 4 TDs, and a blocked kick for his career. Plus, he's physical enough to match up with some of the bigger wide outs that could give Dunta Robinson some problems. The downside? Revis' build is eerily similar to former Texan bust Tony Hollings. He even wears the #25 jersey. Freaks me out.

4. LaRon Landry
- Talk about a position that has given the Texans fits over the past 5 seasons. Landry could solve that with one call to the podium. 4-year starter at LSU, 311 career tackles, 12 ints, 10 sacks. Ten sacks from the safety positon? Landry is a force. Still, Landry would be best utilizied at the strong safety position in the NFL. Like a Polamalu, Landry can make impact plays near the line of scrimmage. And while he would be an upgrade over what the Texans now have at SS, the Texans real need is a deep safety with range. Probably not a dilemma for the Texans, as Landry should go in the top 9 picks.

5. Dwayne Jarrett
- Many feel the Texans need a burner at the WR spot opposite Pro Bowler Andre Johnson. That would supposedly open up the middle of the field for AJ. I'm thinking, isn't Johnson a burner in his own right? Aren't the best plays Andre has made down the field, making leaping catches with defenders hanging off like tinsel? Let Johnson become the downfield threat, and find a WR capable doing the dirty work over the middle. Who has the best hands and is the toughest wideout in this draft? Dwayne Jarrett out of USC. Only 20-years old, Jarrett amassed 216 receptions for 3138 yards and 41 TDs in his 3 seasons at SoCal. Not a burner, Dwayne has the finesse to get deep on occasion. And like HOFer Cris Carter, all Jarrett does is score TDs.

6. Jamaal Anderson - Yes, I realize the Texans drafted a LDE with the #1 pick in the '06 draft. I also know that the Texans currently have 4 former 1st round picks playing on the defensive line. So, why am I suggesting spending another 1st rounder up front, who plays the same postion as Mario? First, talent. Anderson has produced in the SEC (24 sacks in the past 2 seasons), has the computer numbers (6'6" 285 lbs), and has upside (21-year old true junior who was a high school WR). Secondly, take a look at this past season's Super Bowl teams and their talent along the defensive line. Consider the draft picks the New England Patriots have spent on defensive linemen. The game is won up front. And who's to say that Anderson couldn't drop 10-15 lbs and become a dominant RDE? Call me crazy, but Jamaal Anderson wouldn't be such a bad pick for the Texans.

7. Ted Ginn, Jr. - Forget the pro days and the combine. A healthy Ted Ginn is the fastest, and most explosive player in this draft. In many ways, he's the '07 version of Reggie Bush. While Ginn is a WR, he can also help your team in the return game and on reverses. All told, Ginn scored 26 TDs in his 3-year career. Many from long distance. Due to a foot injury incurred after a kickoff return TD in the BCS championship, Ginn stock has slipped. Still, Ginn is the texbook definition of a playmaker, and exactly what Gary Kubiak indicated the Texans needed at the end of the '06 season.

8. Reggie Nelson
- Nelson is a true deep safety who had a fabulous '06 season for the BCS champion Gators. Nelson developed into a playmaker in his junior season, coming up with 8 turnovers for the year. Blessed with outstanding range and good size, Reggie has a ton of potential. But, Nelson has only made 18 collegiate starts, and may be too inexperienced to call signals for a NFL secondary. Could develop into a Pro Bowler, but may not make a big contribution immediately.

9. Amobi Okoye - 19-year old phenom, who has improved greatly over the course of the season. Dominated in the Senior Bowl practice, as well as the game. Right now, a true 3-technique, or 1 gap, DT in the mold of a young Warren Sapp or John Randle. Probably not a great fit for what the Texans are needing as both Anthony Weaver and Travis Johnson are best served at the 3-technique. What the Texans need currently is a two gap DT who can keep blockers off of Mario Williams and Demeco Ryans. Still, Okoye may have too much potential for the Texans to pass on.

10. Chris Houston - The Arkansas junior corner reminds of current Texan CB Dunta Robinson. Fearless in press coverage and not afraid of giving a lick to bigger ball carriers. But, Houston is very raw in downfield coverage skills, and the Texans may be looking for more of a compliment to Robinson than a duplicate. But, with the right coaching and experience, Houston could develop into a top shelf NFL CB.

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
1. Adrian Peterson: This is easy. We al know the stats and what he’s capable of.

2. Levi Brown: Like Porky, I think Brown is going to be a great LT in the pros; a bigger, smart, Jamaal Brown with a nasty hand punch that’ll stagger some of the smaller speed rushers.

3. Amobi Okoye: See above posts

4. Darrelle Revis: Quickly becoming the best rated CB in the draft, and a fair returner of kicks

5. Jamaal Anderson: Bookends are good on both the O and the D lines.

6. Patrick Willis: Would you move Ryans or Willis? I don’t think it would mater as both would succeed wherever you put them.

7. LaRon Landry: I’m cautious of tweener safeties, but I think Landry might be Roy Williams with coverage ability.

8. Leon Hall: Good corner, but I think he’s athletic and tough enough to be a great FS.

9. Robert Meachem: Big wideout with speed

10. Dwayne Bowe: Big physical wideout

Porky

Hall of Fame
Good stuiff guys. Excellent post about Landry by Lucky has me rethinking my list, but I will stand pat. I just don't like taking a safety with a top ten pick, and I know it's not like we have an all-pro SS, but I still think he is a tweener better suited to play SS, and play up close rather than be a coverage guy. I am ok with trading down and taking Nelson though, as I feel he is more suited to be a true FS, although he probably wouldn't be my first choice.

But the only selection they could make at #10 that would truly make me mad would be Branch. That guy is one cheesburger away from bustsville imo. Other than that, all the potential prospects can play and play well.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
Here's your 10 reordered into my ratings Porky:
Peterson -"The Man" in multiple ways: BPA,would be crowd favorite & PR coup
Anderson- tremendous upside & potential playmaker on the weakside edge
Revis - top corner in the Draft with the bonus of kick/punt skills
Okoye- tremendous upside & potential playmaker in the gap
Willis- DeMeco with stunning measureables
Brown- probably won't be our franchise LT, but would start now elsewhere
Meachum-size, speed, best upside at WR after CJ
Bowe-more of a possession type than Meachum, but tougher
Ginn- gifted, but real concerns about durability
Staley- Could be another Seth Wand or could rival Thomas as best OT in this Draft - college competition too inadequate to guage his NFL potential

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
1. Peterson - The best back to come out in years in my opinion.

2. Landry - Obvious need at FS. I love Dunta, but in my opinion he would be the first playmaker we have ever had in the secondary.

3. Revis - Obvious need at CB2, even with our current players coming back from injury and recently signed. Moreover, gives us a another return man. I will take a Wannstedt system defensive prospect any day.

4. Okoye - Young, but mature mobile big body that will make us better tangibly (field) or intangibly (locker room).

5. Willis - If any of these folks are gone he is the best available player left in my opinion. His background and character are reminiscient of Ryans. Just as Ryans made the transition to MLB, surely Willis could make it to SAM or see if Ryans can move back. Moreover, in a draft that is light on first round talent taking Willis, rather than passing up on him, would most likely warrant trade offers.

6. Brown - I think that #10 is a reach for him due to his weight and past issues with his left knee, but he has ability, girth and State College experience in the trenches. I do not pretend to be a subject matter expert on the OL, but somethig tells me that weight plus a history of left knee problems for a left tackle is not a good thing going against speed rushers like Freeny.

I do not like any of the WRs, Anderson, Hall, Lynch or Branch at #10.

TexanAddict

Texan 'til I Die
1. Peterson - Green and Dayne are not the long term solution and all would be benefitted by splitting carries, Peterson is a playmaker and true RB

2. Landry - Secondary is our biggest need, lacks playmakers and depth, Landry could play either safety spot and is a leader on the field

3. Revis - #2 CB is a definite soft spot on this team, Revis could prove to be better than Hall when all is said and done

4. Anderson - Would allow Mario to move to the strongside DE and Weaver inside to DT, creates depth at two positions, would complement Mario since Anderson is more of a speed rusher with more moves off the line

5. Hall - See Revis, would be a solid CB opposite Dunta

6. Nelson - A true FS which is the biggest need in the secondary, would take care of the deep middle and allow CBs to make plays underneath

7. Okoye - Penetrating DT, could take some pressure off Mario, I'm not as impressed with his age as others

8. Brown - Would provide further insurance if Spencer can't return on time, believe he is being overrated due to lack of OT talent

9. Willis - Would be an excellent compliment to Demeco, would improve our OLB corps

10. Bowe - #2 WR still a need, was a productive receiver in a tough defensive conference, had a very good senior bowl by all accounts against some of the top DBs in the draft

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
As the draft draws closer and i become more and more Antsy,

I *know* Peterson and Landry will not be available.
I have a strong feeling Amobi Okoye won't be there, but still have a shot.

I really want us to take Darrelle Revis or Patrick Willis. Those are my two top guys now that its almost all said and done. I have a feeling Smith would like to trade down but I have a feeling that other teams may not be willing to give up what we want.

I'm starting to get a stronger gut feeling we will be staying at 10 and surprising a lot of people by selecting Patrick Willis.

eriadoc

Texan-American
1. Adrian Peterson - like everyone else, I just can't see passing on this guy if he somehow falls.

2. Amobi Okoye - Anyone who is familiar with my post history is probably wondering why I don't have Levi Brown up here. I am kind of wondering it myself. I really, really have a feeling that Okoye is going to be one helluva player. Pair him with Mario on the line and Weaver on the other side, and I just really want to see that.

3. Levi Brown - LT has been a problem from the day of the expansion draft. Lucky said it best, up above.

4. Leon Hall - I put Hall ahead of the safeties because CB is a more sought-after position at the top of the draft and Hall is going to be good. I'm not even really sure how people started overblowing the negative perception of him on this board. He's going to be good.

5. Reggie Nelson - I like Nelson ahead of Landry, though not by much. I think Landry will be gone at #8 as well.

I'm only doing 5 :)

Porky

Hall of Fame
1. Adrian Peterson - like everyone else, I just can't see passing on this guy if he somehow falls.

2. Amobi Okoye - Anyone who is familiar with my post history is probably wondering why I don't have Levi Brown up here. I am kind of wondering it myself. I really, really have a feeling that Okoye is going to be one helluva player. Pair him with Mario on the line and Weaver on the other side, and I just really want to see that.

3. Levi Brown - LT has been a problem from the day of the expansion draft. Lucky said it best, up above.

4. Leon Hall - I put Hall ahead of the safeties because CB is a more sought-after position at the top of the draft and Hall is going to be good. I'm not even really sure how people started overblowing the negative perception of him on this board. He's going to be good.

5. Reggie Nelson - I like Nelson ahead of Landry, though not by much. I think Landry will be gone at #8 as well.

I'm only doing 5 :)
I don't think Hall will be a bust or anything, but he seems to be a jack of all trades and a master of none. As a #2 corner I am fine with him, but I don't expect him to be a really good #1 corner.

I agree on Nelson over Laundry for this team. Laundry might have the edge without regard to style of play, etc, but for the Texans I would rather have Nelson.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
1. Patrick Willis - IMO, he is the BPA at #10, when you take out Johnson, Adams, or Thomas. Would be a like having another DeMeco Ryans on the field. Cannot stop watching this video of him. Great speed and quickness, and a tackling machine. You've got to know that the Texans are taking a HARD look at him, because of what he does both on and off the field.

2. Amobi Okoye - only 19 years old, but a fantastic upside. We need more push up the middle than pressure off the edge. Akoye would get that job done, plus hopefully bring the best out of Travis Johnson.

3. Levi Brown - finally, finally address the need at LT. Same negative questions were asked about Jamaal Brown a couple years back. Should be a fine pro, and he brings leadership.

4. Jammal Anderson - tremendous pass rusher who would be great playing opposite Mario.

5. LeRon Landry - someone said that he'd be a Roy Williams with coverage capabilities. Hmmm, I'm thinking he'd be another Roy Williams period. Probably will get beaten a few times on the pass, but would make up for it partly against the run. Not a true ball hawk.

6. Reggie Nelson - would be more of a FS than Landry coverage wise, and has the natural ball hawk quality about him, but I'm concerned about his ability to learn a pro playbook.

7. Darrelle Revis- a shutdown corner that would be opposite Dunta. Can return punts, but don't expect him to do it if he's the starting corner.

8. Joe Staley - wouldn't be surprised if they have him rated higher than Levi.

9. Robert Meachem - would fill the need for the #2 WR, although I question his durability.

10. Dwayne Bowe - another one who could be the answer for #2 WR. Big, physical, but drops a lot of balls.

It is not an oversight that I don't have Adrian Peterson on my list. I think his standup style of running will make him injury prone, and therefore not worth the value. I only see him in the league 4 years max. Hopefully, he will be already taken before the Texans pick at #10, so that won't have to read and listen to all the crying when they pass on him.

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
It is not an oversight that I don't have Adrian Peterson on my list. I think his standup style of running will make him injury prone, and therefore not worth the value. I only see him in the league 4 years max. Hopefully, he will be already taken before the Texans pick at #10, so that won't have to read and listen to all the crying when they pass on him.
Actually I think the displeasure voiced by Texans' fans will be when he is available and we trade out. AP in my opinion, for some time, will be falling to the tenth position.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Actually I think the displeasure voiced by Texans' fans will be when he is available and we trade out. AP in my opinion, for some time, will be falling to the tenth position.
Well, if he falls to the 10th spot, then that would indicate, to me at least, that teams 1 thru 9 might have the same concerns about the "next future Eric Dickerson".:hmmm:

MorKnolle

All Pro
Very interesting thread topic, so I'll add my :twocents:

1. Adrian Peterson - He would easily be considered the best player available if he falls (unless of course Calvin Johnson is somehow available too, but there is 0 chance he is here). If he is here it would take a monster trade offer to get me to trade down (at least a mid-high 2nd this year and a 3rd or 4th round pick, maybe more. Even with bringing Ahman Green in this offseason Peterson is a need. Green is getting older and isn't quite the home run threat he used to be, and he gets nicked up a lot. Also, with the way his contract is structured, I strongly doubt he lasts here more than those first two years, so adding Peterson would give us a dynamic duo for a year or two and help keep Peterson's legs fresher, and we have Dayne for some short yardage carries to boot.

2. Laron Landry - Clearly the best safety in this draft, which is a huge need for us. It's doubtful that he'll be available at #10 just like with Peterson, but if he is here and Peterson isn't I would easily take him, and likewise it would take a nice trade down offer to convince me to move, probably in the neighborhood of a high 3rd and maybe a future mid-rounder to move down no farther than to #14, would require more to move down any further. Landry has great speed, solid coverage skills, solid awareness and read/react ability, and he can tackle well, everything you need in a FS and everything that we don't currently have back there (I guess both Earl and Brown are decent tacklers, but that's about it).

3. Amobi Okoye - He is a very solid DT prospect that can stand up against the run and provide nice pressure against the pass, plus he's only 19 years old so he has room to grow. Other than his admission to trying marijuana he doesn't have any reported character problems and I've heard rave reviews about his maturity. He would satisfy a big need and teaming him with Mario Williams would be a beastly tandem for the next decade. If he's available at #10 I definitely take him, I would need a decent trade offer to consider trading down.

4. Jamaal Anderson - He's fairly inexperienced and raw at this point (a decent bit moreso than Mario was), but he is also a freak of an athlete and it sounds like he is a good character guy too. It might take him a year or two to start growing into a big-time impact player, but having him and Mario at the bookends would be scary a few years down the road. If he is the best prospect available to us at #10, I would be willing to trade down for a 3rd round pick and try to grab him or one of the remaining guys on this list at that spot, same for everyone else left on this list.

5. Reggie Nelson - There are a couple remaining players that I like better, but FS is such a big need that I'll put Nelson here instead. Nelson is superb in coverage and can lay big hits, although he needs to be a little more solid in tackling fundamentals rather than trying to deliver a knock out so much. He has the athleticism and ball skills that you love to see in a ballhawking centerfielder on defense and would be a nice addition for us.

6. Leon Hall - I like him slightly better as a prospect than Nelson, but FS is a bigger need. Hall would be a very nice addition on the other side of our defense that would allow Petey Faggins to move over to the nickel back where he belongs. We would finally have two CBs with good coverage skills and enough athleticism to stay with any WRs.

7. Patrick Willis - I really like him as a prospect, even better than AJ Hawk last year. Hawk was a better athlete but I think Willis reads plays better, and is very athletic as well. I think he would be worth this pick, although he is a stud MLB so you'd either have to move him our of his normal position and into the SLB slot (which I think he could play very well), or move DeMeco over to SLB after he put up a phenomenal rookie season in the middle. The dilemma lowers his value a little in my book, but he is a phenomenal prospect and my current favorite for 2007 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

8. Darrelle Revis - I like Hall better but Revis is a very good CB prospect as well. He has good athleticism and good coverage skills, plus he has very good size for a CB. He would be another very nice addition to our secondary.

9. Gaines Adams - Adams is the premier pass rusher in this draft class and would be a nice addition to our line. I like Anderson better because he's bigger and stronger against the run while also being a stout pass rusher, but if Adams was somehow available at #10 I would definitely look at him.

I don't have a 10th player that I would consider at #10, and when you factor in Calvin Johnson, JaMarcus Russell, Joe Thomas, and Brady Quinn all being picked in front of us we are guaranteed to have at least three guys on my list available at #10, so I'm happy with that.

*Side note on a few other players. I would not consider any WRs here, I don't think any of them other than Calvin Johnson are good enough for this pick, so if I was set on taking one in the 1st round I'd take about anything I could get to move down 8-12 spots and grab the best one available there. I have a feeling the Texans may consider Ted Ginn here, but I personally don't like him enough. I don't have Levi Brown on my list. I think he's a RT in our system and although he's a pretty stout prospect I don't like him enough for our blocking scheme to consider taking him here. Joe Staley is a much better fit but he isn't worth this pick either. If I was set on taking him, I would take any trade offer I can get to move as far down as #19 to take him. I also like Ryan Kalil a lot as a prospect at C, but I wouldn't take him any higher than the mid-20s.

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
Well, if he falls to the 10th spot, then that would indicate, to me at least, that teams 1 thru 9 might have the same concerns about the "next future Eric Dickerson".:hmmm:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10146708

This is what else you need to know about Peterson: Scouts like the fact he is an aggressive runner who makes the most out of his powerful, 6-foot-1-plus, 217-pound frame. Peterson's upright running style tends to expose him to more contact than is necessary, but scouts are impressed with the fact he is mindful about lowering his shoulders to get good lean on runs up the middle. They also like his ability to plow over smaller defenders who get in his way on the perimeter.
This is what Peterson has to say about himself: (On being compared with Hall-of-Fame running back Eric Dickerson) "Man, being compared to Eric Dickerson, that's crazy. He's one of the greatest running backs. It's an honor to be compared to him. A lot of guys say, 'You run in that upright position and have a little breakaway speed.' Watching some of his film, I see the upright position and the power he runs with."

Blake

MMQB
#1 LaRon Landry
#2 Adrian Peterson
#3 Levi Brown
#4 Alan Branch
#5 Patrick Willis
#6 Ted Ginn, Jr.
#7 Dwayne Jarrett
#8 Darrelle Revis
#9 Amobi Okoye
#10 Michael Griffin

Porky

Hall of Fame
#1 LaRon Landry
#2 Adrian Peterson
#3 Levi Brown
#4 Alan Branch
#5 Patrick Willis
#6 Ted Ginn, Jr.
#7 Dwayne Jarrett
#8 Darrelle Revis
#9 Amobi Okoye
#10 Michael Griffin

Interesting. Landry number #1 over AP. I can't say I agree with that analysis, but I appreciate your input, which is what this thread is all about.