Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-28-2004   #1
Mistril48
All Pro

Default Who should have drafted Lord Byron?

How about the Texans? No.

I don’t think so. Saying they should have drafted Byron Leftwich is kind of like saying they should have drafted Michael Vick. The timing wasn’t right. In the case of Vick, he was draft a year before they existed. In the case of Leftwich, they had just drafted David Carr and were pleased with his first year’s performance IMO, although he wasn’t surrounded with a veteran, established team, with an offensive line, running game, three good receivers and a good defense, like Roethlisberger.

How about the Tacks? No.

Be fair. They had no chance to. They had the 28th pick in 2003 and they had Steve McNair. Even if they thought Leftwich was going to be great, the timing was wrong for them.

How about ‘dem C’boys. Perhaps, they had the opportunity.

In 2001, they drafted Quincy Carter with the 53 overall pick.

- In 2001, he played in 8 games and had 5 TDs and 7 Int.
- In 2002, he played in 7 games and had 7 TDs and 8 Ints.

In 2003, they had the 5th overall pick (Leftwich was drafted with the 7th pick). Instead of drafting Leftwich, they drafted CB Terrance Newman and signed QB Chad Hutchinson to a free agent contract. Did Carter’s performance justify passing on Leftwich? Were the C’boys aware of his problems with the NFL substance abuse program even then?

How has it worked out for Dallas?

- In 2003, Carter played in 16 games and had 17 TDs and 21 Ints.

In total, with Carter they wasted experience reps for a quarterback of the future in 31 games (29 TDs and 36 Int). Carter and Hutchinson have both been released. Now, they waste experience reps on Testaverde, who although he is a class guy who is clearly doing all he can, is still 41 years old. His snaps won’t provide experience to their QB of the future.

Hindsight is always 20 / 20. IMO the C’boys situation is debatable.

How about the Ravens? They blew it!

In 2003, they had the 10th overall pick and they were desperate for a QB.

It was widely reported on draft day that they had worked out a trade with the Vikings to move up ahead of the Jaguars to the 7th pick, to draft Bryon Leftwich. Instead, they apparently didn’t report the trade to the NFL, leaving the Vikings in the lurch (people who watched the draft will remember the heat Mike Tice took, although he got the player he wanted, DT Kevin Williams).

The Ravens ended up using there 10th pick in 2003 on OLB Terrell Suggs. While Suggs has done well, he certainly has a strong supporting cast around him and it left them still desperate for a QB.

The Ravens then traded their 2nd round pick in 2003, the 41st overall, (the Eugene Wilson pick, thru Texans) and their 1st round pick in 2004, the 21st pick overall (the Vince Wilfork pick) to New England. They then selected Kyle Boller with the 19th overall pick in the 2003 draft. Boller then was a contract hold out in 2003 and currently has a QB rating of 61.8 %, with 2 TDs and 5 Ints.

Ravens head coach Brian Billick a genius? Yeah right.

The benefactors of the ineptitude of Brian Billick are the Texans, Tacks and Colt fans, who get to enjoy a rivalry of Jags twice every year.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally I would prefer if Leftwich had gone to the Ravens and the Jags had Boller.
Old 10-28-2004   #3
chicagotexan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Personally I would prefer if Leftwich had gone to the Ravens and the Jags had Boller.
I second that. He's entertaining and talented, but I'd rather our boys tee-off on Kyle "look at me throw a football 50+ yards from my knees" Boller.
chicagotexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004   #4
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan
...Kyle "look at me throw a football 50+ yards from my knees" Boller.
When you see how Kyle Boller is doing now, all that stuff during the 2003 draft about him throwing off his knees is really funny.

Old 10-28-2004   #5
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
I want to enjoy the journey as well as the destination. I hope the AFC South teams all get a ton of talent, even if it adds years onto our wait for the ultimate prize.

Years from now, your grand kids are going to say "Stop drooling and oh yeah, did you every see Peyton Manning play?" and you'll be able to say "Every year."
Old 10-28-2004   #6
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Maybe the Bengals should have drafted him.
Old 10-28-2004   #7
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

The best ones will be telling them we saw Brett Favre and Emmitt Smith. I make fun of the Cowgirls a lot but Smith has always seemed like a good guy. (and he plays for the Cardinals now anyway)

That's what really makes this Packers game on Sunday night a special one, Favre doesn't seem to have a ton of games left.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2004   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
I want to enjoy the journey as well as the destination. I hope the AFC South teams all get a ton of talent, even if it adds years onto our wait for the ultimate prize.

Years from now, your grand kids are going to say "Stop drooling and oh yeah, did you every see Peyton Manning play?" and you'll be able to say "Every year."
True, but my way we would get to see him or Peyton in the AFC Championship games instead of just regular season games--like the old Dallas/Niners games that were really the superbowl for several years.
Old 10-30-2004   #9
Jagsbch
Veteran

Rep Power: 47 Jagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Byrons Destiny was to be a Jaguar.

Byron should have been the first player taken according to the Board Shack formulated.

Last edited by Jagsbch; 10-30-2004 at 09:26 AM.
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read