Now In Canada!
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: On The Prairie..eh?
Rep Power: 10
Draft questions from the Brit..
With the draft looming, I realise that there are some gaps in my knowledge...I have some questions:
1. Could someone please explain how trading up/down works?
2. Are teams allowed to draft players and then trade them for other pics?
3. Are some players drafted specifically to be traded?
4. Do the players get any say in all this?
5. Do they have to report to teams they don't want to play for?
6. What happens if they don't show up?
Thanks in advance!
"Back Once Again..Like A Renegade Master!"
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833
Teams do trade up - especially if there is a player they really want. Again they would have to make it worthwhile for the other team.
2. Teams can trade a draft pick. The Chargers chose Eli Manning and then traded him to the Giants for their 1st round pick (from which they chose Phillip Rivers) and some other picks but cant remember what.
3. I suppose it does happen, I'm sure one of the other posters will have a better memory than I do.
4. The players dont get a say at all, though Eli said he didn't want to play in San Diego.....
5 & 6 I'm not sure of the answer to that, I guess they cant play in the NFL. Some players once drafted hold till they get the best contract they can. Cedric Benson did that when drafted by the Bears.
Join Date: Sep 2004
Rep Power: 229640
5. No they do not. But that team owns their right for the next year (until the next draft)
6. If they do not show up, they dont get signed and/or paid. In that case the team that drafts them owns their rights. They are free to try and sign them and/or trade their rights. If nothing can be resolved the player would them be elgible to be drafted next year by a different team.
Join Date: Apr 2004
Rep Power: 165794
2. yes, although trading after a pick has been made is fairly rare. one recent example is eli manning. drafted by the chargers and then traded to new york for phillip rivers (who the giants had just chosen with the 4th pick), NY's 2nd rounder, and NY's first rounder the next year.
3. it happens, again with eli (i really think the chargers had no intention of keeping eli). i cant think of a better example off of the top of my head, but sometimes teams will take the player they know another team covets in order to gain more leverage in a trade that was close to going through already.
4. not really, although if they whine enough (eli manning, john elway) they can influence teams not to take them (or draft and trade).
5 & 6 PapaL covered.
Last edited by Scooter; 04-22-2007 at 12:14 PM.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|