Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-21-2007   #1
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88
Thumbs up Spencer Update!!

http://www.fflivewire.com/Article.as...02007tmg6384lh

Quote:
ESPN reports that Texans T Charles Spencer is ahead of schedule in his recovery from a broken leg according to his doctor.

I can't find the ESPN story that has alot more to it, I'm thinking that its an Insiders Only story. If someone can find it, thats awsome. If not, oh well. If yall want me to post the main points from the ESPN article, I can but again, I don't have a link for them.
Old 04-21-2007   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Sweet news, if accurate. But I think we should still proceed based upon him being gone and if he comes back it's a bonus (i.e. the DD lesson).

ps. cool avatar
Old 04-22-2007   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
if accurate
and that's all I have to say.
Old 04-22-2007   #4
SESupergenius

Boselli was on schedule for the longest time.........
Old 04-22-2007   #5
TexanBorn51
Veteran

Rep Power: 1327 TexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lenny P reports below main points... espn.com
Quote:
Houston tackles tackle issue: In an attempt to find a left tackle to protect the blindside of recently acquired quarterback Matt Schaub, the Houston Texans have given themselves plenty of options. The team re-upped nine-year veteran Ephraim Salaam, whose résumé include 113 starts, including 14 starting nods a year ago. Houston signed four-year veteran Jordan Black, who still has plenty of potential, away from Kansas City as a restricted free agent. And there's a chance second-year veteran Eric Winston, a highly regarded third-round choice in the 2006 draft, could be moved to the left side. There's considerable speculation as well that the Texans could grab Levi Brown with the 10th overall choice in the draft, if the Penn State left tackle is still on the board at that point. One potential irony there: Atlanta, which moved up two spots into Houston's original No. 8 slot in the first round as part of the Schaub trade, could snatch Brown before he drops into the Texans' laps.

But here's a novel thought not many people are discussing: There is still a chance that Houston's starting left tackle in 2007 might be the same guy who opened the 2006 season for the Texans at the key position. Charles Spencer started the first two games for the Texans as a rookie in '06 before suffering a fractured left tibia. There have been reports that Spencer might never play again, but that isn't what his doctor is telling him, with the former University of Pittsburgh standout actually ahead of schedule in his recovery. There is still no definitive timetable for Spencer to return to the field, but there is some guarded optimism he could be nearly rehabilitated around the start of training camp, which would represent a remarkable comeback. After battling weight problems in the past, Spencer has kept himself in pretty good shape despite the leg injury, and recently checked in at a relatively svelte (for him) 325 pounds. Assistant head coach Mike Sherman, who handles much of the offensive line duties, has told Spencer he's still the guy, if healthy. So while a lot of people seem to be ready to write off Spencer entirely, it appears the Houston coaching staff isn't among them.
TexanBorn51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After battling weight problems in the past, Spencer has kept himself in pretty good shape despite the leg injury, and recently checked in at a relatively svelte (for him) 325 pounds. Assistant head coach Mike Sherman, who handles much of the offensive line duties, has told Spencer he's still the guy, if healthy. So while a lot of people seem to be ready to write off Spencer entirely, it appears the Houston coaching staff isn't among them.
If Spencer managed to keep himself at 325, then color me damned impressed. That takes an insane amount of work for a guy of his size with a broken leg. Maybe it's time to to cross my fingers about him being a real option at LT.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007   #7
TexanBorn51
Veteran

Rep Power: 1327 TexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope for a great recovery too they sure could use him he had a great start last year before injury. The thing is also the Texans and Kube/Sherman Co. have this week to determine a decision on OL on the first pick if it's there should be interesting.
Sponsored links
Old 04-22-2007   #8
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll temper my enthusiasm with memories of past hopefulness *cough* Boselli *cough* that's backfired. Like HB pointed out though, if he's kept himself at 325, that is impressive by itself!
Old 04-22-2007   #9
TexanBorn51
Veteran

Let's say that that coaching optimism on Spencer is right on for a recovery then would one think to look at the #10 towards CB,wr,DB,another OL, BPA, or what it should be interesting again.
Old 04-22-2007   #10
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Il_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVP

unlike the domanick davis/williams situation, we do have workable alternatives if spencer is not available. I think between Ephraim Salaam, Jordan Black and Eric Winston we could find someone to fill in at LT.

as for Texanborn's question, i would go with BPA except for QB, as we've basically used a 2 on schuab
Il_Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007   #11
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

everything that i've heard has been optomistic about spencer's recovery. being that it's a relatively black and white issue with the injury, this bodes extremely well for spencer's future and the future of the texans. i forget his name but a "friend" of big nasty's posted a few updates on the old forum and from he said about how hard spencer is working, it doesnt suprise me that he's as close to playing form as a guy with one good leg can be. these things lead me to believe that we'll be seeing spencer on the field this year, and possibly a lot sooner than we would've thought. it also frees us up significantly in the draft, enabling us to focus more on our most pressing holes (namely defensive secondary).

i think i've misunderstood exactly how the injury actually works though, can anyone clarify? it was a high leg break that did or threatened to do damage to his knee. i thought i read that we were waiting to see if the cartiladge was either going to grow or it wasnt. i've also read much more recently that either the cartiladge was torn or it wasnt and the rehab is more lower leg than the knee.
Old 04-22-2007   #12
TexanBorn51
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il_Bruno View Post
unlike the domanick davis/williams situation, we do have workable alternatives if spencer is not available. I think between Ephraim Salaam, Jordan Black and Eric Winston we could find someone to fill in at LT.

as for Texanborn's question, i would go with BPA except for QB, as we've basically used a 2 on schuab
Great avatar amigo. BPA sounds good but I wonder if that will still be an Ol which are not many probably besides Thomas then Brown or Staley but then you have BPA"S in the defensive core too. So then if we have those OL linemen alternatives would they be looking at a defensive player...
Old 04-22-2007   #13
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds good to me; guy with an attitude coming off an injury in which most people wrote him off plus weight issues in the past? Oh yeah Big Nasty is coming back with a bigger chip on his shoulder. He's slimmed down, has had time to better learn his responsibilites, and was better then anyone OL we had on the roster.

Yeah I'm looking forward to the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007   #14
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hearing this optimistic report on Spencer is really exciting.

Our line looks so much better with Spencer pencilled in rather than Salaam or Black.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dunno, "finding someone to fill in at left tackle" doesn't do anything that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about it.

Kubiak has stated that he would, based on lessons he learned last season, operate as if Spencer won't be back. I don't think this doctor's optimistic report on Spencer should sway him in the least, nor should it.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007   #16
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Il_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I dunno, "finding someone to fill in at left tackle" doesn't do anything that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about it.

Kubiak has stated that he would, based on lessons he learned last season, operate as if Spencer won't be back. I don't think this doctor's optimistic report on Spencer should sway him in the least, nor should it.

nor should it, but to use the #10 pick on a LT this year thats only so high because he's the next best one after Thomas doesnt make ME feel warm and fuzzy either. Ive heard next year's class of tackles is pretty good, and i dont feel like throwing away an impact player to pick a tackle that isnt really worth the #10 spot we'd have to use to get him.
Il_Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #17
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
nor should it, but to use the #10 pick on a LT this year thats only so high because he's the next best one after Thomas doesnt make ME feel warm and fuzzy either. Ive heard next year's class of tackles is pretty good, and i dont feel like throwing away an impact player to pick a tackle that isnt really worth the #10 spot we'd have to use to get him.
Isn't really worth it to who? Some happen to think picking a tackle is worth the #10 spot. It all depends on how high Smith and Kubiak have the particular tackle ranked. The point is . . . their draft plans should not change based upon this report that came out on Spencer. If their plan was to take whoever at #10 if he's still on the board, then that plan should remain that way.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #18
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Not sure if this is a thread hijack or a tangent, but Megan's quick blurb on OL prospects...

Quote:
Rising
Tackle Joe Staley, 6-6, 306, Central Michigan: The most athletic left tackle available ran a 4.79 and benched 225 pounds 27 times, one fewer than Joe Thomas. Should be the third tackle taken behind Thomas and Levi Brown and could go in the top half of the first round.

Falling
Guard Arron Sears, 6-3, 319, Tennessee: His versatility seems to be working against him. He played every position in the line through his senior year but didn't excel at any of them. Seems more suited for guard but lacks the strength the scouts like at that position.

Keep an eye on
G Justin Blalock, 6-3, 320, Texas: The best guard prospect in the draft also can play left or right tackle. Outstanding strength and durability. Could become a perennial Pro Bowl guard but also could be a terrific tackle, depending on what the team needs.

Sleeper
OT Doug Free, 6-6, 324, Northern Illinois: He didn't get a lot of attention in college, but he has excellent size and seems to be more of a finesse player than a blocker who engulfs his man. Good speed and quickness, but he needs to get strong. Could go in second round.
... and that's pretty much all she wrote.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read