Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-21-2007   #1
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Giants complain about Leach contract

I don't know if this belongs here - feel free to change it.

The NY Giants complained to the league over the Texans changing some of the language in Leach's contract.

link

Quote:
According to the sources, Houston changed some of the contract language in a few incentive clauses. We're not talking millions of dollars here, but probably as much as a couple hundred thousand.

The Giants, upon seeing the revamped paperwork, blew their collective top because they felt Houston should have been forced to give Leach the exact deal as it was outlined in their offer sheet.
The question asked was why the Texans were allowed to change some of the language while other teams weren't.

As a follow up....here

Quote:
the Texans matched the offer sheet word-for-word and dollar-for-dollar. But then, they changed the language afterward and reworked the deal a bit.
Looks like the Texans pulled off a little coup.

Last edited by Lucky; 04-21-2007 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Repaired links
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems like the links dont work.
Or is it just me?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007   #3
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Smith has hired Chris Olsen from the NFL office to be his cap expert. Olsen, who was in personnel and finance with the NFL Management Council for 12 years, has been highly regarded around the league for years. Every player's contract in the NFL crossed Olsen's desk in recent years. That means he knows every trick in the salary cap book.
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/12/w...is_the_qu.html

That's why we got him.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007   #4
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2 View Post
I don't know if this belongs here - feel free to change it.

The NY Giants complained to the league over the Texans changing some of the language in Leach's contract.

link

The question asked was why the Texans were allowed to change some of the language while other teams weren't.

As a follow up....here

Looks like the Texans pulled off a little coup.
The links do not work.

This what the giants looklike by even saying this.
Old 04-21-2007   #5
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Smith has hired Chris Olsen from the NFL office to be his cap expert. Olsen, who was in personnel and finance with the NFL Management Council for 12 years, has been highly regarded around the league for years. Every player's contract in the NFL crossed Olsen's desk in recent years. That means he knows every trick in the salary cap book.
Must be why we have been able to be so busy during free agency also. Before the FA period started I thought that the Texans wouldn't be doing much and the Titans would be spending that 40 mil. that their fans were bragging about. I am glad it turned out to be the other way around. This FO seems to really be able to do more with less. I hope they can turn that up a notch when we get rid of Charlies dead cap money.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007   #6
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
This FO seems to really be able to do more with less. I hope they can turn that up a notch when we get rid of Charlies dead cap money.
I agree. We're slated to have quite a lot of cap room next season & it will be interesting to see how Smith & Co. spend it. I've been impressed with how this FO has done thus far & hopefully they'll be just as impressive in the draft this year.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346 View Post
I agree. We're slated to have quite a lot of cap room next season & it will be interesting to see how Smith & Co. spend it. I've been impressed with how this FO has done thus far & hopefully they'll be just as impressive in the draft this year.
This year Schaub is our second round player and next year we do not have a 2nd round pick either but I expect us to sign an impact FA with the extra cap space and that will help us sooth the loss of the pick.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2007   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
Must be why we have been able to be so busy during free agency also. Before the FA period started I thought that the Texans wouldn't be doing much and the Titans would be spending that 40 mil. that their fans were bragging about. I am glad it turned out to be the other way around. This FO seems to really be able to do more with less. I hope they can turn that up a notch when we get rid of Charlies dead cap money.
Good post, and I agree 100%. I was actually a bit concerned about the Titans having $40 million in cap room, because the potential implications of adding top talent around their core group of players could be devastating to our division.

Fortunately, the Titans have done the exact opposite by losing talent and doing very little with the cap room. And our Texans have been actively making deals that won't hurt the team in the long run.
Old 04-21-2007   #9
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
This year Schaub is our second round player and next year we do not have a 2nd round pick either but I expect us to sign an impact FA with the extra cap space and that will help us sooth the loss of the pick.
That's an interesting point I had not considered. I was intially pretty upset at losing the 2nd rounder for next year because of the crop of RBs that were slated to go pro, and I felt that would be the time to address bringing in the eventual successor to Green. I also feel that we'll likely be looking for a legit #2 WR next season, and having two big needs like that was a bit disturbing to me.

I hadn't considered that the Texans could make a big FA acquisition like a wideout to play along side AJ or a RB that might hit the market. That would allow us to address the other pressing need with our first pick.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey the Titans lost their best defensive player , best rb , top 2 wrs .

The Texans ... we hope upgraded at QB , RB , CB , OL , and OLB . We still need some upgrades at these positions but we're not desperate .

An after thought is the Titans are going to be pretty desperate for a RB . So you take AD if he's there or if AD is gone and you trade make it with a team that wants Lynch and block the Titans .

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 04-21-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Hey the Titans lost their best defensive player , best rb , top 2 wrs .

The Texans ... we hope upgraded at QB , RB , CB , OL , and OLB . We still need some upgrades at these positions but we're not desperate .

An after thought is the Titans are going to be pretty desperate for a RB . So you take AD if he's there or if AD is gone and you trade make it with a team that wants Lynch and block the Titans .
I am hoping this scenario works and we can get a 2nd or even a third. If thing break just right we can get a good CB (Brevis) and maybe Steve Smith or A. Gonzales WR in 2nd or if we have 2 thirds and no 2nd maybe a Jason Hill WR & Sabby Piscatelli FS. We can really plug some weaknesses.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read