Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-19-2007   #1
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Schaub happy in new home

Quote:
RATCLIFFE: Schaub happy in new home

There are a lot of new things in Matt Schaub’s life: a new house in a new city, a new fiancé, and most importantly in terms of his profession, a new beginning as a starting NFL quarterback.

It has been nearly a month since the Atlanta Falcons traded Schaub to the Houston Texans, netting him a six-year deal worth $48 million. In return for that price tag, he will replace veteran David Carr as the starter and automatically become the face of the franchise.

No wonder Schaub was beaming when he showed up in the press box at Scott Stadium last Saturday to watch Virginia’s Spring Game. His girlfriend, Laurie, whom he met while in Atlanta, accompanied him.

----------------------------------

The right man for the job

The trio of coaches convinced the two-year Houston head coach that Schaub could become a consistent winner in the NFL. So, once Kubiak was convinced that Schaub was the right man for the Texans, the coach had to convince Schaub that the Texans were the right fit for him.

The coach flew to Newport Beach, Calif., to play a round of golf with Schaub, who was in a charity tournament there for his agent, Job Branion of Athletes First.

“When Coach Kubiak came out to play golf, I stayed an extra day just to get a feel for one another and to develop that coach and quarterback bond,” Schaub said during halftime of the UVa Spring Game. “I realized it was such a good fit, which allowed us to get the deal done in like 24 hours.”

Schaub really liked what he saw in his new coach and embraced the opportunity to learn from him.

“[Kubiak’s] a young, energetic coach, and what stands out about him is that he played quarterback at this level,” Schaub said. “He played for Denver, backing up [John] Elway all those years and then coached in the same system as the Broncos’ offensive coordinator.”

Because Denver’s and Houston’s systems are similar to what Schaub ran in Atlanta and even at Virginia, and since the terminology isn’t that different, it should be a smooth transition.

Speaking of which, Schaub stepped up into a leadership role immediately with the franchise, calling every Texans teammate that he could get a number for the first weekend he signed with the team.

“I just wanted to develop a relationship with my teammates,” he said. “That goes above and beyond the X’s and O’s and the game planning. You have to have that chemistry with your teammates, because that goes further than any passes or any statistics. That’s the heart and core of the game of football.”

In Houston, Schaub has been reunited with former Wahoo teammate Wali Lundy, one of the team’s running backs. With returning Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson and newly acquired running back Ahman Green, the Texans suddenly made strides as a more dangerous offense.

Because he played mostly in preseason games and either mop-up duty or when Vick was injured, Schaub provides Houston with a seasoned veteran without the three years of lumps and bruises.

“I look at it as if I gained three years on the end of my career because I haven’t been beaten up,” Schaub chuckled. “It was very valuable to be in Atlanta behind Michael Vick and learn how the league works, how to prepare for games, how to deal with media, how to game plan, watching films. It was a chance to sit back and learn, but at the same time getting a chance to play.”

Then there’s the situation of signing a $48 million contract ($7 million of which is guaranteed), certainly more money than Schaub dreamed of when he was battling for a starting role as Virginia’s quarterback five years ago.

“In this day and age, when you see some of these contracts written, it does make your heart stop for a second,” he said. “But you’ve still got to go out and play and produce on the field. I’m finally looking forward to getting to play some ball.”

So, did he go out and do anything crazy with some of his new, staggering wealth?

“No, I’ve made two purchases,” Schaub said. “I got a house and I just got engaged (sorry girls), so I purchased an engagement ring the other day.”

Without a doubt though, Schaub said he has sensed the excitement of building a potentially winning football team in Houston, where the Texans (6-10 last season) have suffered through five straight losing campaigns during their short existence.

“Houston is a football town and Texas is a football state,” Schaub said. “They’re thirsty for a winning organization. It’s year-round down there. They love their football.”

No doubt that before too long, they’ll fall in love with Matt Schaub, too.
Source / Rest of story
Old 04-19-2007   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Woohoo, my local newspaper is cited!

Im a little disapointed with the engagement. I was hoping he'd be non-famliy 100% football. This can't be good for film study time. he better hurry up and take his honeymoon before training camp starts

Old 04-19-2007   #3
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

A very refreshing verticle. Thanks for posting it.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #4
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Good find, was a lillte surprised to see that even teh terminlogy/vocab was even a littlel similar to Schaub. Man I can't what for training camp. Think we'll see any ladders?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

Im a little disapointed with the engagement. I was hoping he'd be non-famliy 100% football. This can't be good for film study time. he better hurry up and take his honeymoon before training camp starts

If she knows which side her bread it buttered on, I'd hope that she lets him be an NFL QB and do everything that he'll need to do to be a good one.

Don't kill the goose that laid the golden egg and all that jazz!

I really like this quote, because he clearly recognizes off-season chemistry as a very important factor in building a solid team:

Quote:
"You have to have that chemistry with your teammates, because that goes further than any passes or any statistics. That’s the heart and core of the game of football.”
+ =
Old 04-19-2007   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ha. Lots of NFL players with wives and families.

Flipside is that he won't be having to spend time trying to find booty. One of the big comments I got on the Mario racing story is why is it that the first round pick of the draft can't get a less annoying, better looking female in his Lambo? The world may never know.

Nice article
Old 04-19-2007   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Flipside is that he won't be having to spend time trying to find booty. One of the big comments I got on the Mario racing story is why is it that the first round pick of the draft can't get a less annoying, better looking female in his Lambo? The world may never know.

Nice article
Haha too true too true.
I have all the faith in Schaub at this point. Wahoos and Texans!
Old 04-19-2007   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
One of the big comments I got on the Mario racing story is why is it that the first round pick of the draft can't get a less annoying, better looking female in his Lambo? The world may never know.
she had a good wonder lick score

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #9
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:

I don't know if you're serious, but I'm sure someone out there will adopt this line and run with it. Next thing you know, Schaub is leaving practice an hour early every day to go play with his as yet unborn kids, or his collie even.

Personally, I'd rather my football players be dedicated to their wives and children, rather than out at the club every night drinking, toking and having promiscuous sex with money grubbing hoochies. Or racing their Lamborghinis on dark freeways. I know the former is just not that common in the world of elite professional sports, but it sure strikes me as being healthier and more conducive toward playing an undistracted game, in the long run.
Old 04-19-2007   #10
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
One of the big comments I got on the Mario racing story is why is it that the first round pick of the draft can't get a less annoying, better looking female in his Lambo? The world may never know.
I was wondering if any one else had that same thought
Old 04-19-2007   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I didn't see that part of the video...
Old 04-19-2007   #12
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I didn't see that part of the video...

Damn.
Old 04-19-2007   #13
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Damn your one liner is better than mine. I've got nothing to add to this thread now.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #14
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346 View Post
Damn your one liner is better than mine. I've got nothing to add to this thread now.
The thread might be Exhibit B of why we need football season to start. Or at least training camp news.

When there is nothing to talk about, peeps gotta say something.

Or do a chicken dance.
Old 04-19-2007   #15
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The thread might be Exhibit B of why we need football season to start. Or at least training camp news.

When there is nothing to talk about, peeps gotta say something.

Or do a chicken dance.
Forget the season or training camps, the draft is a week and a day and some change away....thank g_d!

Althought the wonder lick line was classic...rack'em.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #16
Bradster592
Now In Canada!

Rep Power: 9 Bradster592 is a Pro BowlerBradster592 is a Pro Bowler

Bradster592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #17
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 169136 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Nice article
You know, I thought that. Even started to write it. Then decided against it and didn't bother posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #18
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 61397 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

DB, thanks for the find during a slow NFL time. It's kinda like the quiet before the storm. I sure hope Schaub backs up this quality talk with quality play. I'm sure our FO did their research to make a move like this though. (Thankfully before other teams discovered the QB pickings are low this year.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
A very refreshing verticle. Thanks for posting it.
As opposed to the typical horizontal we've seen the past 5 years.

Just messin'.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #19
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
I don't know if you're serious, but I'm sure someone out there will adopt this line and run with it. Next thing you know, Schaub is leaving practice an hour early every day to go play with his as yet unborn kids, or his collie even.

Personally, I'd rather my football players be dedicated to their wives and children, rather than out at the club every night drinking, toking and having promiscuous sex with money grubbing hoochies.
Hey, don't go knocking my hobbies.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #20
Stampede
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Stampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballotStampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Thanks for the article DB. I think that this is really gonna be a fun year.
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read