Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-18-2007   #1
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34025 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Urlacher fined $100,000 for hat

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher was fined $100,000 by the NFL for wearing a cap during Super Bowl media day that promoted a sponsor not authorized by the league.

NFL rules prohibit gear that advertises any product but a designated sponsor, league spokesman Brian McCarthy said Wednesday.
The NFL at it again?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #2
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Funny the article said McMahon the following week wora a .........

the article ended. Now how is that for being a professonal media source.

The NFL sucks like that, guys we pay you money but you can not earn any money on your own.
Old 04-18-2007   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Yet owners *cough*JerryJones!*cough* can sign deals with companies for stadium concessions that are not sponsors with the NFL! (Companies, I might add, that are direct competitors of NFL sponsors!!)

Owners are some of the most hypocritical people...next to politicians, IMO!
Old 04-18-2007   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

They fixed it:

"McMahon wore a headband that said "adidas" in a playoff game against the New York Giants, and then-commissioner Pete Rozelle fined him $5,000 because the shoe company was not an NFL sponsor. The following week, in the NFC title game against the Los Angeles Rams, McMahon wore a headband that read "rozelle.""

On the one hand I agree its stupid to fine someone this much for something so trivial.

But on the other hand, its not like Urlacher didn't know the rules. This is standard procedure. Nothing to be surprised about.
Old 04-18-2007   #5
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34025 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
They fixed it:

"McMahon wore a headband that said "adidas" in a playoff game against the New York Giants, and then-commissioner Pete Rozelle fined him $5,000 because the shoe company was not an NFL sponsor. The following week, in the NFC title game against the Los Angeles Rams, McMahon wore a headband that read "rozelle.""

On the one hand I agree its stupid to fine someone this much for something so trivial.

But on the other hand, its not like Urlacher didn't know the rules. This is standard procedure. Nothing to be surprised about.
Yeah, it's the rule; but a hundred grand!

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 04-18-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #6
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Fine: 100K
30-second SuperBowl Ad: $2.4 million
Fine paid by Urlacher: 0
Fine paid by ADIDAS: 100K
Free TV Time during SuperBowl: Priceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #7
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

I find it funny that the NFL can regulate the clothes people wear. Just seems a little fascist to me. Got any constitutional lawyers out there?
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-18-2007   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
I find it funny that the NFL can regulate the clothes people wear. Just seems a little fascist to me. Got any constitutional lawyers out there?
They'd lose. Most places of employment can and do regulate the clothes their employees wear. Go to work in a dress tomorrow and see if that's not true.
Old 04-19-2007   #9
Bipolar The Titan
cow pattie chunkin' champ

Rep Power: 515 Bipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respected

It was in front of a TV camera at the SB related function.

It wasn't The Brian Urlacher Super Happy Hour.

This isn't really all that far from the NBA dress code thing.

Gatorade is the victim though. I mean, they pay big bucks to get the kind of association that they do with the NFL. They shouldn't have to deal with some cheezy all pro, old spice bodywash slingin', deep dish pizza eating linebacker to come between them and their target audience. 100k is cheap just to get people to talk about vitamin water. I mean, what the hell is vitamin water? I've never heard of it. Now they have put the name of their product in countless heads... and we all think one thing when we hear Vitamin Water... Brian Urlacher.

Makes me wonder how much they paid him to wear the hat and drink the bottle? Enough to cover that fine and then some I'm sure. From a Madison Avenue perspective it looks like a bargain as far as buy some name recognition.
Old 04-19-2007   #10
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
They'd lose. Most places of employment can and do regulate the clothes their employees wear. Go to work in a dress tomorrow and see if that's not true.
You might get laughed at I am not sure about being fired.

Last edited by Specnatz; 04-19-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
You might get laughed at I am not sure about being fired.

You wouldl most definitely get laughed at by someone where I work. You probably would not be fired but I have worked in the past for a man who very easily could have fired an employee over something like that. He fired me once for not attending the company Christmas party when he knew in advance I'd be out of town that night. He hired me again about 45 minutes later but I'm just saying that bosses come in all shapes, sizes, and temperments so there's no telling what kind of response wearing a dress will get until you do it.

Where I work now they can send you home without pay for "x" number of days if they see fit and they sometimes do when people get out of line. That's close to being fined like Urlacher was.
Old 04-19-2007   #12
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Fine: 100K
30-second SuperBowl Ad: $2.4 million
Fine paid by Urlacher: 0
Fine paid by ADIDAS: 100K
Free TV Time during SuperBowl: Priceless
Not to mention all the extra publicity "vitaminwater" is now getting for the imposed fine on Urlacher!
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read