Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-16-2007   #1
bayshorebevo
Veteran

Default Why not playoffs this year?

Plenty of teams have stunk for years and then made the playoffs the next year. I for one am sick and tired of every year being called a rebuilding year. I don't know anything about Schaub, but if he has a good attitude and a live arm, maybe he'll get this team to think they can win. I have heard all the excuses why we can't win, no o-line, etc. How did the other teams do it? By winning of course. We are the same team that beat the Super Bowl champs last year and we also won a game with negative passing yards. The hurry up and wait to win is really getting old.
bayshorebevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #2
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1265 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

Heres an easy answer to your thread title, strength of schedule. Take a look at our opponents this year ( mind you it looks easier than last year) and factor in who is in our division, and that the AFC is tough all around and you come up with the answer to your thread.

Last edited by BigWig; 04-17-2007 at 07:29 AM. Reason: spelling
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be more optimistic and more in agreement with you if we were in the Nancy Football Conference (NFC).. The AFC is a lot tougher!!
Old 04-17-2007   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

DeMeco and Dunta believe it could be a playoff year.

David Carr even told the Charlotte paper that it could be a playoff year for the Texan.

Jerome Solomon went totally optimistic and said 9 wins.

Kubiak's assessment is probably more accurate:

link

With the team they currently have, and the sort of depth the Texans have going, they would need an abundance of luck, key guys to stay healthy, an identity on offense and defense and a lot of the no-name guys to play outstanding.
Old 04-17-2007   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 223543 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Every year folks expect too much stability in the NFL, anticipating most teams will stay at or within a couple of games of what they did last year. Fact is, only 12 teams last year had results for 2006 within 2 games of their 2005 records and 5 of those were playoff teams fine tuning upper level records. 20 teams changed their records by 3 or more games and 13 teams records changed by 4 or more games (8 of those were positive changes). That's over a third of the league having drastic change and a quarter of it having drastic positive change. Not predicting the Texans to make the playoffs but a three game improvement is not a wild swing in the NFL and in looking at the schedule, a bunch of those teams aren't going to be who we thought they were either.
Old 04-17-2007   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the link TC..

I found Kubiak's comments to be somewhat JVG(ish) and the players' (DeMeco and Dunta) to be exactly what we should expect from our players. I do like the way that Kubiak is already protecting Schaub from the scrutiny that would come if he remotely struggles: "Our supporting cast isn't good enough right now, and we're not going to put everything on [quarterback] Matt [Schaub]."
Old 04-17-2007   #7
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I definitely think there will be a marked improvement but, despite the percentages, I didn't like the look of September and October on the schedule. I can see an 8-8 season with a chance for 9-7 but that probably wouldn't get it done for the AFC. I'm looking for this to be the year people start noticing us and next year to be the one where we have real playoff expectations.
Old 04-17-2007   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Every year folks expect too much stability in the NFL, anticipating most teams will stay at or within a couple of games of what they did last year. Fact is, only 12 teams last year had results for 2006 within 2 games of their 2005 records and 5 of those were playoff teams fine tuning upper level records. 20 teams changed their records by 3 or more games and 13 teams records changed by 4 or more games (8 of those were positive changes). That's over a third of the league having drastic change and a quarter of it having drastic positive change. Not predicting the Texans to make the playoffs but a three game improvement is not a wild swing in the NFL and in looking at the schedule, a bunch of those teams aren't going to be who we thought they were either.
excellent post and spot on.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #9
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayshorebevo View Post
Plenty of teams have stunk for years and then made the playoffs the next year. I for one am sick and tired of every year being called a rebuilding year. I don't know anything about Schaub, but if he has a good attitude and a live arm, maybe he'll get this team to think they can win. I have heard all the excuses why we can't win, no o-line, etc. How did the other teams do it? By winning of course. We are the same team that beat the Super Bowl champs last year and we also won a game with negative passing yards. The hurry up and wait to win is really getting old.
I hate to say it, but this year is, and so is next year! Kubes said that 2009 is his playoff run. So that will finally be the put up or shut up year.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I see ten wins on that schedule and I'm sticking to it. If Matt Schaub is just a non-shell-shocked and competent QB then it's entirely possible. With both Green and Dayne on this team we will have a running game from day one instead of needing to find one. Also I think we'll see a much improved defense this year. Barring injuries (which can sink the best teams if they have enough of them) I think we compete for a playoff spot. Whether or not we can actually get into the playoffs is in my opinion not that big a deal in 2007. I think it would be a major step up just to be in the hunt for a playoff spot late in the year.

After the 5 years we've just been through I'm grateful for anything that keeps me from being more interested in draft position than wins and losses over the last quarter of the season. I'm sick of people (including myself) having nothing more to talk about in November and December than the draft.
Old 04-17-2007   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
I hate to say it, but this year is, and so is next year! Kubes said that 2009 is his playoff run. So that will finally be the put up or shut up year.
Kubiak will be fired by then....I think you are misunderstanding something...something is getting lost in the translation.

I think we have a great shot at 9 wins this year. I think we were a .500 team last year with good quarterbacking. Hell, David Carr only threw one non garbage time TD in the last TEN GAMES of the season. He only outproduced me by only one TD.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I see ten wins on that schedule and I'm sticking to it. If Matt Schaub is just a non-shell-shocked and competent QB then it's entirely possible. With both Green and Dayne on this team we will have a running game from day one instead of needing to find one. Also I think we'll see a much improved defense this year. Barring injuries (which can sink the best teams if they have enough of them) I think we compete for a playoff spot. Whether or not we can actually get into the playoffs is in my opinion not that big a deal in 2007. I think it would be a major step up just to be in the hunt for a playoff spot late in the year.

After the 5 years we've just been through I'm grateful for anything that keeps me from being more interested in draft position than wins and losses over the last quarter of the season. I'm sick of people (including myself) having nothing more to talk about in November and December than the draft.

We don't know what kind of QB that Schaub will be.

We don't know what our offensive line can do with a change at QB.

We don't know how much is left in the tank with Green and Dayne. Dayne for pete's sake injured himself warming up for the last game of the season.

We don't know if there is any wide receiver combo that can make defenses pay for stacking up on Andre Johnson.

We don't know if the coaching staff can overcome their all over the place game calling, and what Sherman in the booth means.

We don't know what will come of the Bush/Smith defense and whether they can become more consistent. (in a good way).

We don't know if the special teams will get it back on track. Kubiak likes ST guys to play in other parts of the team--Marciano likes a few designated guys that know their stuff. The special teams was more of an adventure last year than in some previous years. It is not looking like there will be a change at the kicker/punter position at least now.

We don't know what a Rick Smith draft will look like.

That being said, sometimes having a lot of questions is better than going into the season knowing what to expect and not liking it one bit.

There is absolutely no Texans season record that could surprise me next year--either really bad or really good. I have no freaking idea, but I can't wait for the season to start.

Old 04-17-2007   #13
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Kubiak will be fired by then....I think you are misunderstanding something...something is getting lost in the translation.

I think we have a great shot at 9 wins this year. I think we were a .500 team last year with good quarterbacking. Hell, David Carr only threw one non garbage time TD in the last TEN GAMES of the season. He only outproduced me by only one TD.
that's exactly how I see it. If Matt can just be a good game manager and not make too many mistakes, I think we will have a great shot at the playoffs this year.
Old 04-17-2007   #14
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5439 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, Anything can happen in the NFL. If the Texans get hot, Yes, it can happen next season. More likely, with a new QB in a new system and a building OL and Defensive 2ndary...the Texans goals are going to be close to 500. It's the next step for your team. AFC is a crazy division to play in, especially the AFC South.
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #15
OrangeLotPole8
Veteran

Section: Bullpen 116
Rep Power: 1851 OrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans record

I figure we will be 5-11 to 7-9, not in the playoff hunt this year, but in 2008 I think we can make a run.

Either way, nothing can mess up tailgating at Reliant Stadium! Its like a day of vacation 10 times a year.
Old 04-17-2007   #16
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7106 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i'd be happy with another 6-10 finish. brutal schedule and we still have holes on offense and defense.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1297 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Kubiak will be fired by then....
ouch.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #18
red_dirt
Rookie

tough division + tough schedule + new qb + bad o-line = no playoffs for 2007, maybe longer.
red_dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #19
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Schuab deal signals clearly that the Texans are expecting to push for a playoff spot. Probably won't make it due to the division and conference, but they at least plan to be in the hunt to the last weekend.

The Texans could 6-10 to 8-8 without Schuab or despite Carr in 2007.

Kubiak/Smith are expecting big things next year or they wouldn't have given up so much for Schuab.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #20
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3474 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep, there's no telling....BUT, cak's awesome 2006 history lesson included the following statement: "13 teams records changed by 4 or more games (8 of those were positive changes)"

That is downright startling. That's saying that a quarter of the league improved their records by winning at least 4 more games than they did the previous year. Could that happen here? Maybe not a 4-game improvement, but I could see 2-3 over last year. We all know what frequently happens to Super Bowl winners, and while I'm not prepared to predict a sweep against the Colts, I do think the playing field will be more level this year in those 2 games. I also think the Titans games will go QUITE differently with a Texans offense led by a QB who helps rather than hinders.

I think 8 or 9 wins is very possible and would be an outstanding sign of progress for this young team. (It'd also be fun to be above .500 for once.) The way the AFC is, though, playoff seeds are rough, and there will be a lot of competition for the wild card slots. A winning season, even w/o playoffs, would be cool with me....especially if a couple of division rivals' playoff hopes get crushed along the way.

TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read