Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-17-2007   #41
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I'm pretty sure I read an article last year that talked about Mario being at a club wearing grillz that were just made for him.

It's America. He can spend his money how he wants to. Personally, I think there should be a certain threshold on number of sacks before you drive around your old campus in an orange Lamborghini, but that's just my sensibility.

The video shows a guy identified as Mario Williams dumping money at a club. Not a strip club. Or punching dancers in the mouth. Or threatening bouncers. Or whatever.

I'm sure that there are all sorts of NFL players rolling in all sorts of rigs doing all sorts of things at night clubs. And as long as nobody gets hurt, they are safe from the NFL Personal Conduct policy, though that policy is so vague I bet it is easy to get dragged into it.

I find this interesting because of Bob McNair's big time emphasis on character and role models.

I like Mario Williams as a player, and have written tons of stuff on that. I do think that this sort of stuff is on my list of things that make me say hmmm.
I don't know what you really expect from a 22 year old, but he could be doing so much worse right now. I wouldn't even be worried about any of that, its something any average young male would do.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #42
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yep, he talks about hennessey and he also says "yeah, i'm high" while he's munching on something... he sounds like he might be sarcastic when he says it.

oh well, haha.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #43
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I have raced before no big deal, he is a young guy doing something stupid.

I have been on I-10 at 3:30 in the AM doing 140, so no big deal to me, but I hope he gets talked to by a vetern on not risking this anymore.
You're not a first round NFL draft pick making tens of millions of dollars, either. So yeah, maybe it's a bigger deal for him to be doing this (I doubt it puts a smile on Uncle Bob's face.)

And Mario hit well over 200 according to the video. That kinda' steps over the line of stupid, especially on public roads.

If dude needs a rush that bad, go skydiving. He only risks injury to himself, and it is a far greater adrenaline rush than racing a car, IMO. But it was probably more show off than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexican Texan
I don't know what you really expect from a 22 year old, but he could be doing so much worse right now. I wouldn't even be worried about any of that, its something any average young male would do.
He's not just any 22 year old. He's part of an elite group of people that have the fortune to be blessed with great physical talent and a chance to play in an elite sports league. I expect more from him, considering who/what he is, than I would the average 22 year old slacker.

Compare people to the best, don't excuse them with the average.

Last edited by Double Barrel; 04-17-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #44
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
That's definately Mario. In the first part of the video he mentions the Red & White game. It looks & sounds like him. I agree with DB about the girl. Pretty irritating voice. As for the racing it is pretty dumb, but a ton of young guys do that sort of thing. I know I did some street racing when I was a teenager. If it wasn't for a close call that made me wise up to how dangerous it was I might still be doing it.

When you've got a fast car it's only natural to "see what it can do" every now and then, and I imagine the urge is even greater when you've got a super fast car like a Ferrarri or Lamborghini. Thing is there is a better & safer way to check out how fast your car is than running it on the street. Do it at a track or dragstrip where they've got safety crews there to help if something were to go wrong.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #45
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
And Mario hit well over 200 according to the video. That kinda' steps over the line of stupid, especially on public roads.
I really doubt he topped 200 mph. I know the other guy in the video claimed that he must've been going 200 mph because he was going 130mph and wasn't able to see him. I think it was just the pure acceleration that catapulted him out of sight & I could see him getting to 160 or 180 or so in that short burst after the big rig.

Still monumentally stupid, but I've done 140 or so a few times in my Camaro SS on an interstate or two. That being said your car reaches a certain limit where it's getting too shaky. Up to about 120 my car was smooth as if I was driving 70 on the interstate, but when I got above that it got more tense & felt more like a jet plane than a car. He needs to be careful, and I hope he wises up as to the danger he put himself & that girl in (as annoying as she was). Not to mention the danger he put everyone else in on that road that night. As I said in my last post there are better ways to have fun with your fast car than to play with it on the streets.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #46
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay, the funniest comment on the blog post is the female's resemblance to Britney Spears. But it's not funny in general to me.

There are just so many cases of road racing ending up badly that the video gives me the heebie jeebies. I know some district attorneys that handle these cases, and they say just the photographs at the scenes of some of the wrecks will cause you to lose sleep for a while.

Awesome athletes that risk everything because of the need for speed, or motorcycling or whatever are just irresponsible. Most young guys are irresponsible, but that $$ that players are getting needs to fix that not make it worse.

I don't know exactly went on with those videos, but I sure hope that he gets a talking to by some folks with the Texans. He has the possibility of having a great career but you worry about someone having a 2 cent head with stuff like this.
Old 04-17-2007   #47
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

That was certainly an illuminating video.

I hope someone talks to Mr. First in the Draft Mario about risking not only his life and worth a pretty penny limbs but everyone else in his path to say nothing of the piercingly screaming young sweetie with him.

Maybe the responsibility that comes with being a multi-millionaire football player has escaped Mario. Maybe instead of PacMan Jones, he should remember Ben Roethlisberger who wasn't even speeding. Maybe he should also remember that he's being paid these mega-bucks because he is a gifted athlete and all that goes away if one loses control of his orange car and smashes it into little pieces.

Do I get to say, again, it is grow up time for Mario?
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-17-2007   #48
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2 View Post
That was certainly an illuminating video.

I hope someone talks to Mr. First in the Draft Mario about risking not only his life and worth a pretty penny limbs but everyone else in his path to say nothing of the piercingly screaming young sweetie with him.

Maybe the responsibility that comes with being a multi-millionaire football player has escaped Mario. Maybe instead of PacMan Jones, he should remember Ben Roethlisberger who wasn't even speeding. Maybe he should also remember that he's being paid these mega-bucks because he is a gifted athlete and all that goes away if one loses control of his orange car and smashes it into little pieces.

Do I get to say, again, it is grow up time for Mario?

Heck he could go across the lockerrom and talk to Jerome Mathis. The motorcycle injury didn't break his foot, but it certainly didn't help his football career.
Old 04-17-2007   #49
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

It is a very traditional Lambo color and has nothing to do with burnt orange or UT.
About that car color - I have always called it Butterscotch. It's YUMMY...
It's just the color of a Corvette I used to drool over.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #50
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyTexan View Post
About that car color - I have always called it Butterscotch. It's YUMMY...
It's just the color of a Corvette I used to drool over.
I actually think that color works perfectly on that car. Good call on butterscotch--I'd call it metallic butterscotch. To me there are some colors I won't consider on any but one or two cars. I had a car in burnt metallic almond (let's see who can come up with that one) that I wouldn't have put on many cars and some folks would apparently have been filled with character decisions based on it and my driving of it.
Old 04-17-2007   #51
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

There was a player out of San Antonio named Gabe Rivera in the early 80's .

After a stellar career at Texas Tech ... he was a 1st round pick of the Steelers .

Gabe was of to a promising start to his football career when he got into a wreck that left him paralized .

I am roughly the same age and made a comment like some here ... I said what a dummy ... he had it made and now look at him . An older gentlemen asked me if I had ever drove to fast after a wild night ... I replied that yes I had ... he told me that I had no room to talk because I had done the same thing and that I should consider myself lucky to be alive and in one piece .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #52
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
There was a player out of San Antonio named Gabe Rivera in the early 80's .

After a stellar career at Texas Tech ... he was a 1st round pick of the Steelers .

Gabe was of to a promising start to his football career when he got into a wreck that left him paralized .

I am roughly the same age and made a comment like some here ... I said what a dummy ... he had it made and now look at him . An older gentlemen asked me if I had ever drove to fast after a wild night ... I replied that yes I had ... he told me that I had no room to talk because I had done the same thing and that I should consider myself lucky to be alive and in one piece .
Great post.

If you've never done anything like it--knock away.

If you have--you ought to be saying, I hope he learns like I did or if you haven't, whoohoo.
Old 04-17-2007   #53
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
I actually think that color works perfectly on that car. Good call on butterscotch--I'd call it metallic butterscotch. To me there are some colors I won't consider on any but one or two cars. I had a car in burnt metallic almond (let's see who can come up with that one) that I wouldn't have put on many cars and some folks would apparently have been filled with character decisions based on it and my driving of it.
Character decisions?

This is how it seems to me.

Dude is a young rich guy who drove a flashy car around his old campus.

Dude might be a guy who threw money at a club. Not spit on anyone, or punch strippers or threaten to kill bouncers. All this would say about the character of someone doing this is that a person isn't afraid to draw attention to himself, like driving a butterscotch Lamborghini around his campus. It isn't a good comment or a bad comment on character, it is just a deduction that might be wrong.

Dude appears to like having a flashy fast sports car so that he can drive flashy fast sports car really fast on the highway.

This is not all he is, but appear to be aspects of what he is about.

Dude is employed by a organization that values role models.
Old 04-17-2007   #54
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Character decisions?

This is how it seems to me.

Dude is a young rich guy who drove a flashy car around his old campus.
OK, this is going to come across smart ass, but we just have differing POV's on this.

How many folks do you know worth $2 mil plus that don't drive flashy cars around their old campuses or elsewhere?

Quote:
Dude might be a guy who threw money at a club. Not spit on anyone, or punch strippers or threaten to kill bouncers. All this would say about the character of someone doing this is that a person isn't afraid to draw attention to himself, like driving a butterscotch Lamborghini around his campus. It isn't a good comment or a bad comment on character, it is just a deduction that might be wrong.
Still with the car fascination. What would have been acceptable?--a blinged out Volvo? Funny, I see folks all over Houston and elsewhere spending more money than they can afford trying to draw attention to themselves through their cars and homes--I find it hard to call it a negative when someone who actually has the money draws attention intentionally or otherwise with a fancy car.

Quote:
Dude appears to like having a flashy fast sports car so that he can drive flashy fast sports car really fast on the highway.
So in other words he is a guy. Do I need to go past Dukes of Hazards for this being a normal image rather than an oddity?

Quote:
This is not all he is, but appear to be aspects of what he is about.

Dude is employed by a organization that values role models.
Role models?--then you are making a judgment on his life. If you said valued their investment I would be right there with you. Heck, forward the link to the Texans because I sure don't want him injured off the field--see if they can put some pressure on him--for practical reasons, not character judgments.
Old 04-17-2007   #55
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
yep, he talks about hennessey and he also says "yeah, i'm high" while he's munching on something... he sounds like he might be sarcastic when he says it.

oh well, haha.
Just to clarify, when he mentioned Hennessey, he was referring to another car he owned. Hennessey Performance makes a really fast and souped up twin turbo version of the Viper and sells it, as well as doing the same to numerous other vehicles.

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/...ance/index.php

I didn't hear him say anything about being high, but then again it was kinda hard to understand anything he said.
jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #56
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlam View Post
Just to clarify, when he mentioned Hennessey, he was referring to another car he owned. Hennessey Performance makes a really fast and souped up twin turbo version of the Viper and sells it, as well as doing the same to numerous other vehicles.

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/...ance/index.php

I didn't hear him say anything about being high, but then again it was kinda hard to understand anything he said.
So... you're saying he was so high on Hennessey that his speech was unintelligible?

ha ha! glad to have the smilies back, otherwise people might think I was serious!
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #57
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
OK, this is going to come across smart ass, but we just have differing POV's on this.

How many folks do you know worth $2 mil plus that don't drive flashy cars around their old campuses or elsewhere?

Still with the car fascination. What would have been acceptable?--a blinged out Volvo? Funny, I see folks all over Houston and elsewhere spending more money than they can afford trying to draw attention to themselves through their cars and homes--I find it hard to call it a negative when someone who actually has the money draws attention intentionally or otherwise with a fancy car.

So in other words he is a guy. Do I need to go past Dukes of Hazards for this being a normal image rather than an oddity?

Role models?--then you are making a judgment on his life. If you said valued their investment I would be right there with you. Heck, forward the link to the Texans because I sure don't want him injured off the field--see if they can put some pressure on him--for practical reasons, not character judgments.

I brought up the car and the money raining because I thought it would be interesting to others. And it is. Not because he was evil for owning a car or raining money on people. It is interesting to see player's lives not prepackaged by PR folk. (Personally, I don't care for an orange car, but I can understand thems that disagree).

I do think it is interesting how vague the NFL personal conduct policy is--everybody loves a policy when it applies to someone alleged to have spit on women, threat people etc, but they might not like it as much if someone gets caught up in a wrong place, wrong time thing. It grants the commissioner some pretty broad powers, and I wonder where the lines are going to end up being drawn.

As for what looks like racing and driving at really high rates of speed on a highway, I have a huge problem with that. It's stupid no matter who does it.

As for the role model thing, I am just thinking of Bob McNair's professed need for role model players. Anyone hired by the Texans knows that McNair is militant about this stuff. It isn't a secret. In fact, there are few things funnier than McNair crawdaddying a bit on his position on tattoos of all things.

If you work for an organization you know freaks out about role model stuff, don't race down the highway in a Lamborghini. The investment thing in him is also a factor too--I think in some ways a team should require a player to have to turn in his man card of doing stupid Duke of Hazzard stuff.
Old 04-18-2007   #58
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm shocked and disappointed in Mario after watching that video.

Eating in a Lamborghini? That's just not right. I suggest a crash course at the Emily Post Institute for Etiquette.

I think this falls into the catgory of having too much information about a player. I'm not blaming TC for posting these videos, they're out there for anyone to find. And I rubbernecked like everyone else. I'm not suggesting that Mario should be engaging in that type of behavior on the public freeways. If convicted of driving at that speed, he could get his license suspended. And should. Just that it's his business. It doesn't alter my opinion of Williams as a football player one bit.

The goods news? Mario's foot must be feeling better considering how heavy he was on the gas pedal.
Old 04-18-2007   #59
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As for what looks like racing and driving at really high rates of speed on a highway, I have a huge problem with that. It's stupid no matter who does it.
I do too. Public highways are not the place to run around at 150 mph...not only can you kill yourself, you can kill someone like my Mom or my sister, or you or....heck, anyone...that's just irresponsible behavior.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #60
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm shocked and disappointed in Mario after watching that video.

Eating in a Lamborghini? That's just not right. I suggest a crash course at the Emily Post Institute for Etiquette.

I think this falls into the catgory of having too much information about a player. I'm not blaming TC for posting these videos, they're out there for anyone to find. And I rubbernecked like everyone else. I'm not suggesting that Mario should be engaging in that type of behavior on the public freeways. If convicted of driving at that speed, he could get his license suspended. And should. Just that it's his business. It doesn't alter my opinion of Williams as a football player one bit.

The goods news? Mario's foot must be feeling better considering how heavy he was on the gas pedal.
He takes a big paycheck from his employer, and it becomes his employer's business. It's the public's business because of him endangering other people on the road.

My judgment of his football skills don't change, but I do wonder some about his overall judgment. Same as I think about Roethlisberger. Or Mathis. Or Winslow. I'm sure any number of players do stupid stuff, but we don't hear about them.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read