Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-29-2007   #1
DarkNinja
Veteran

Default Carr to Seattle Seahawks?

NFL Network just annouced, that David Carr has been in talks with Coach Holmgren. No links on it yet but with Hasselbeck going through surgery, its a possible starting position for Carr. Who knows maybe they will block for him over in Seattle.
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Carr to Seattle Seahawks?

i think wallace would start over carr.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007   #3
19-10
Veteran

Wallace over Carr? Now that would be a slap. I'm not saying it's not possible but if it is DC probably wouldn't consider it. No way he's going anywhere to hold a clip board.
Old 03-29-2007   #4
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
i think wallace would start over carr.
He would, but if you remember last year Holgren said that he wanted to bring in a reliable back-up QB so he could use Seneca in more of a "slash" role...

IMO, this works out perfectly.
Old 03-29-2007   #5
real

Well unless Matt gets hurt....

Then they're screwed because Carr is terrible..
Old 03-29-2007   #6
Dunta_23
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19-10 View Post
Wallace over Carr? Now that would be a slap. I'm not saying it's not possible but if it is DC probably wouldn't consider it. No way he's going anywhere to hold a clip board.
I don't think that is the case....I see him as a backup maybe 1 or 2 yrs and then getting the starting gig...If eh goes to Seattle and starts the season as the starter, he will probably be replaced when Hasselbeck comes back
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007   #7
real

Quote:
LOL...

Seneca is about twice as good as Carr at the least...
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2007   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Homgren would eat David for lunch.

That's a guy who doesn't tolerate mistakes.

Remember when they played us, and they had like 12 false starts in two series in the first half? Holmgren was halfway out on the field, beet red, yelling at the top of his lungs and calling time outs just to get the chance to give extra verbal abuse to the players.

I'm telling ya'.....Miami is the best place for David if we're talking about David being happy. Nice weather, laid back atmosphere, an old pal in Dom Capers who knows what it's like to have been completely dissed by the tyrant McNair. They could swap war stories over a couple of Shirley Temples.

Holmgren would douse David with ketchup and eat him alive. No tolerance for goofy mistakes in Seattle.
Old 03-29-2007   #9
Trenches
Veteran

Quote:
are you serious?

you are talking about a QB who had NO trade value. hell, at least Detroit got a 2nd day pick for Harrington.
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007   #10
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post
Homgren would eat David for lunch.

That's a guy who doesn't tolerate mistakes.

Remember when they played us, and they had like 12 false starts in two series in the first half? Holmgren was halfway out on the field, beet red, yelling at the top of his lungs and calling time outs just to get the chance to give extra verbal abuse to the players.

I'm telling ya'.....Miami is the best place for David if we're talking about David being happy. Nice weather, laid back atmosphere, an old pal in Dom Capers who knows what it's like to have been completely dissed by the tyrant McNair. They could swap war stories over a couple of Shirley Temples.

Holmgren would douse David with ketchup and eat him alive. No tolerance for goofy mistakes in Seattle.

Because Miami did such a good job turning Harringtons career around ?

David needs to go to a place where he can learn the finer points of Quaterbacking.

Running from a coach because he's "mean" or "screams a lot" only makes you worse...
Old 03-29-2007   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Because Miami did such a good job turning Harringtons career around ?

David needs to go to a place where he can learn the finer points of Quaterbacking.

Running from a coach because he's "mean" or "screams a lot" only makes you worse...
And Kubiak wasn't someone who could do this for David?

Holmgren would cut David before Pre Season began, IMO. Oh wait...no he wouldn't. Because David makes all the throws in practice. I forgot that he's a workout warrior.

Scratch that. Instead, it would take a few games of David throwing into quadruple coverage, taking sacks when open receivers are jumping up and down waving at David, and just generally bungling his way to the bench after three downs...THEN Holmgren would cut him. My bad.
Old 03-29-2007   #12
19-10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenches View Post
are you serious?

you are talking about a QB who had NO trade value. hell, at least Detroit got a 2nd day pick for Harrington.
Don't get me wrong, I know what DC is as a player. But does he??? I just don't think he's the kind of guy that can handle not starting. So he'll find a team where he has a good chance of landing that role, or even a gaurantee if that is possible.
Old 03-29-2007   #13
real

Quote:
And Kubiak wasn't someone who could do this for David?

Holmgren would cut David before Pre Season began, IMO. Oh wait...no he wouldn't. Because David makes all the throws in practice. I forgot that he's a workout warrior.

Scratch that. Instead, it would take a few games of David throwing into quadruple coverage, taking sacks when open receivers are jumping up and down waving at David, and just generally bungling his way to the bench after three downs...THEN Holmgren would cut him. My bad.

Not the same situation at all...

There wouldn't be any pressure on David because he'd be a back-up.

Here he had every move scrutinized, and was put under a microscope...

In Seattle he'd be able to learn and get comfortable with the system for a couple years without any pressure of being the franchise's first pick ever, golden boy, number one overall, overpaid...ect.....

I'm not sure how you can't see the difference between the situations...

The patience in Houston this past year was much shorter than it'd be for him in Seattle....Much much shorter...
Old 03-29-2007   #14
Dunta_23
All Pro

Lets jut see here....Seattle was a superbowl team 2 yrs ago...the same year that the Texans were the WORST team in the league...

They have a better situation for a QB to go into
- all pro LT, and a good OL
- all pro RB, rushing champ 2 yrs ago
- superbowl MVP WR, plus other capaple pass catchers
- superbowl winning head coach, with success in WCO
- solid D, solid players all around

Now how can you say that situation is comparable to what he had here???

Best case is David goes there humbled, and takes in as much as he can from Holmgren and battles to start the year...and put himself in a position that Holmgren has to have a tough decision when Hasselbeck comes back...
Old 03-29-2007   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Not the same situation at all...

There wouldn't be any pressure on David because he'd be a back-up.

Here he had every move scrutinized, and was put under a microscope...

In Seattle he'd be able to learn and get comfortable with the system for a couple years without any pressure of being the franchise's first pick ever, golden boy, number one overall, overpaid...ect.....

I'm not sure how you can't see the difference between the situations...

The patience in Houston this past year was much shorter than it'd be for him in Seattle....Much much shorter...
If he was in his 2nd or 3rd year it would be shorter, as it will be for Schaub.

David's going into his SIXTH year.

That's twice as much as Schaub.

I disagree with you: David will most likely only go to a team where he can be the starter. And if he does, the boo birds will be singing loudly, and often. He''l make a few good throws to start the game off, a 5-yard curl...a hitch...etc. And then he'll revert to what he's used to doing, and it'll be curtains again. It'll take time, don't get me wrong. But it will happen.

Miami is the best place. Daunte is done. Cleo Lemon is their guy? I don't buy it. And I'm not sure Brady Quinn makes it to their first round draft slot. Trent Green is demanding big money. David could low ball Trent's salary demands and get that job TODAY as we speak.

But according to his bro Darren, Miami cannot afford David's salary requirements. (rolls eyes)

It's a mistake for David to pass up Miami.

The book of Proverbs says that WISDOM is a lady calling in the streets, asking for people to hear her. And yet somebody ain't listening IMO.

Oh well, the carnage will be greater to watch in Seattle with Mt. Saint Holmgren awaiting to erupt every 20 minutes. That guy is a genius, but he's an angry genius at that. Not so sure this is the sort of environment that's best for David Carr.
Old 03-29-2007   #16
ROCKY
Rookie

I think dave would slide into the 2nd spot. We all know Dave is a workout warrior. I think in camp he would run circles around Seneca Wallace. And with that OL and Shaun Alexander, he would do just fine. If you ask David to just eat clock and manage the game, he is a fine backup. And since Hasselbeck is getting to the end of his career, DC would be a great insurance policy.

Plus he can hang out with Warren Moon, and thay can laugh about how evil the houston fans were to them:

Warren: Oh man, they would bring my family to tears!
DC: ME TOO!
Warren: They would scream racial slurs at my children.
DC: They poured beer on my wife!

They have alot in common, they would be BFF
Old 03-29-2007   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23 View Post
Lets jut see here....Seattle was a superbowl team 2 yrs ago...the same year that the Texans were the WORST team in the league...

They have a better situation for a QB to go into
- all pro LT, and a good OL
- all pro RB, rushing champ 2 yrs ago
- superbowl MVP WR, plus other capaple pass catchers
- superbowl winning head coach, with success in WCO
- solid D, solid players all around

Now how can you say that situation is comparable to what he had here???

Best case is David goes there humbled, and takes in as much as he can from Holmgren and battles to start the year...and put himself in a position that Holmgren has to have a tough decision when Hasselbeck comes back...
I think a lot of you are giving David a lot more credit than he should be given right now.

The thought of "Oh no, he's going to prove that he's more than what we all thought he was" is a knee-jerk reaction that all of us feel, but some of us are entertaining it a lot more than we should IMO.

Let's slow down and remember that Kubiak was verrrrrrrry patient with David. VERY. He spent more time with David, and on David's game film, than anybody has or ever will.

And he doesn't even want to go to year two with David.

Repeating that: He doesn't even want to go to year TWO with David.

This was not a knee jerk by Kubiak. It was an entire year of Kubiak eating, sleeping, and breathing David Carr and the whole project of rejuvenating his career.

And he's done with it. Quickly, efficiently done with it.

That's all I need to know.

Maybe Carr DOES make it somehow.

But for me, at this point after years of me personally defendig David and trying to point out all the positives yet seeing that it's not going to work, I will say it's over and done with.
Old 03-29-2007   #18
Dunta_23
All Pro

I said the best case scenario...realistically if he cant change his game to a certain extent then he wont make it out of camp with the job....and for Carr last year, the first handful of games when the OL was in tact he managed the games very well....didnt make mistakes and did an above average job for a QB put in his position(run the ball, and when we put it in you hands, dont screw up)....but then later in the year when the line fell apart and AJ was getting doubled and tripled, and Carr wasnt in a comfort zone, he struggled, and thats when the coach put the ball completely in the RB's hands and let David make a handful of throws a game...and they won the last 2 games.

Im not knocking Kubiak at all...but what if he isnt gods gift to QB coaching?? Sure he did well with Elway and Plummer...but some of that has to go on the players as well...maybe Carr just needs a complete change of scenery and he will be recharged and come back hungry? or maybe he will be content with where he is, give it a shot for a year or 2 to be a starter and then dissapear from the NFL?
Old 03-29-2007   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd hope that DC's ego does not prevent him from getting a gig with whoever will give him a chance. And if that chance is a lowered contract holding a clipboard, then it's a reality check that won't bounce.

To be honest, after five full seasons of seeing DC as our starter, I still don't know a whole lot about his personality. He never let us in, and the closest we got was happy soundbites, but never a peek inside the man himself.

Hulk75 has been our best source to learn what DC is about, FWIW.
Old 03-29-2007   #20
real

Quote:
I disagree with you: David will most likely only go to a team where he can be the starter.
Well if your assumption is correct I guess we can expect to see David in (a) NFL Europe (b) having his named called by Mike and Mike

Those would be his only options.

Edit: Starters don't get released. They get traded.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read