Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-28-2007   #1
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83
Default Kiper likes Schaub over Romo

I was listening to ESPN radio in Dallas this morning, and the hosts were discussing a comment Kipers made, which was something to the effect of, "I'd take Schaub over Romo, with 16 exclamation points..." Apparently several NFL scouts have made a similar reference. The hosts of the show were adamant that if they were going to start a franchise, they'd take Romo 10 times out of 10 over Schaub, and frankly I have to agree with them. Romo played like a pro-bowl performer last year and saved the Cowboys season, and after watching him on several occasions I think he throws one of the prettiest, best placed balls in the NFL. Schaub on the other hand has very little evidence to go on, and the public opinion of him is basically resting on his college and limited professional accomplishments.

I just thought that it was interesting that some scouts and Kiper were willing to come and put their stamp on a guy with little professional background over someone who made the pro-bowl last season. There's obviously something about Schaub that makes people think he's going to be really special. While I disagree that he'd be better than Romo, if Kiper and similar minded scouts are indeed correct and he plays at a similar level or above the one Romo plays at, then we got a fantastic value from the trade and we're going to see a winning team in Houston very soon.

P.S. They said the one big strike on Schaub is that the Texans like him....
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #2
texans83
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 texans83 is a Pro Bowlertexans83 is a Pro Bowler
Default Re: Kiper likes Schaub over Romo

as soon as romo made the pro bowl he started to go into a slump though, this is why I think they need to wait till the last week of the season b4 they pick who is going to be going. IMO
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

For the past 2 years, scouts and personnel guys have been gaa-gaa over Schaub. They've talked about it over and over on ESPN and NFLN. That's why I've been so surprised that those same announcers and experts that have talked about how highly the scouts and personnel guys have Schaub ranked are now so down on someone actually going out and getting him.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #4
Stampede
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Stampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballotStampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
For the past 2 years, scouts and personnel guys have been gaa-gaa over Schaub. They've talked about it over and over on ESPN and NFLN. That's why I've been so surprised that those same announcers and experts that have talked about how highly the scouts and personnel guys have Schaub ranked are now so down on someone actually going out and getting him.

Because it's the Texans who got him.
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83 View Post

I just thought that it was interesting that some scouts and Kiper were willing to come and put their stamp on a guy with little professional background over someone who made the pro-bowl last season. There's obviously something about Schaub that makes people think he's going to be really special. While I disagree that he'd be better than Romo, if Kiper and similar minded scouts are indeed correct and he plays at a similar level or above the one Romo plays at, then we got a fantastic value from the trade and we're going to see a winning team in Houston very soon.

Honest question....

How can you be sure that Schaub isn't going to be better than Romo if you haven't seen him play? Aren't you just as guilty as the guys you accuse of blindly liking Schaub over Romo? What's the difference? If neither of you guys have enough data to compile an opinion isn't your best bet to stay neutral instead of just assuming that there is no shot that Schaub can't be a better QB than an undrafted FA up in Jerryjonesville?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #6
real

I'm not sure if Schaub is going to be better than Romo...

I think Romo is a beast by the way...

But, from the little I've seen from Schaub I think he's going to be darn good...

JMO
Old 03-28-2007   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm excited about Schaub and looking forward to the season with him,
but I really think the value of any endorsement Kiper makes about a particular player is dubious.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2007   #8
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Honest question....

How can you be sure that Schaub isn't going to be better than Romo if you haven't seen him play? Aren't you just as guilty as the guys you accuse of blindly liking Schaub over Romo? What's the difference? If neither of you guys have enough data to compile an opinion isn't your best bet to stay neutral instead of just assuming that their is no shot that Schaub can't be a better QB than an undrafted FA up in Jerryjonesville?
Honest answer, it's just that the likelihood of him being better than a pro-bowl quality guy seems much lower than the likelihood of him being worse. It seems to me if he had perennial pro-bowler written all over him, he wouldn't have been drafted in the 3rd round, sat behind a starter for 3 years, and have a 0-2 starters record with a 1:1 TD to INT ratio. A much exaggerated, but analagous situation would be for me to say had I played the lottery last week I would've won. Nobody can tell me I wouldn't have, since I never played, but the odds that I would have would be infinitesimal (that's a huge overstatement, but you get the picture hopefully). The other reason is I tend to be pessimistic as a Texans fan who's had almost every major acquisition in his favorite franchise's existence blow up in his face. It's called learning by association. I'm not saying Schaub is going to suck, I'm just saying I'd be very, and pleasantly, surprised if he came in and played at a pro-bowl level after being a back up for 3 years.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #9
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
I was listening to ESPN radio in Dallas this morning, and the hosts were discussing a comment Kipers made, which was something to the effect of, "I'd take Schaub over Romo, with 16 exclamation points..." Apparently several NFL scouts have made a similar reference. The hosts of the show were adamant that if they were going to start a franchise, they'd take Romo 10 times out of 10 over Schaub, and frankly I have to agree with them. Romo played like a pro-bowl performer last year and saved the Cowboys season, and after watching him on several occasions I think he throws one of the prettiest, best placed balls in the NFL. Schaub on the other hand has very little evidence to go on, and the public opinion of him is basically resting on his college and limited professional accomplishments.

Before Romo started last year he was not really battle tested himself. Suddenly he steps in and makes a significant impact. But let's not kid ourselves first he backdoored into the pro-bowl on a lil over half a season in the NFC that HAS to tell you something about the conference.

I'd also like to add he had more mobility then Bledsoe...I've seen tortioises injured on the Discovery Channel that have more mobility then that statue. Anyone would look good after that. Their line play was shaky as ours and Romo had his games were he looked brilliant and others were not so.

Romo also had several years in the same system to learn and get used to terminology etc etc. Scaub has had several years in the WCO under Greg Knapp, who is in the Walsh tree if i remember right, running a similar variation that Kubiak had Denver and is trying to implement here. However unlike Romo ,who had only preseason snaps under his belt, Schaub has had game experience even if it is sparingly.

Anyone seeing the correlation here? Except obviously Romo has better skillset around him for the most part.
Old 03-28-2007   #10
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

As I understand our offensive sets, the QB does not have to be exceptional. Just not subject to brain farts and turn overs. If he plays within the system and our pickups for 2006 & 2007 do only what they are projected to do, we should have a good year. Anything above that from anybody adds gravy for the chicken.
Old 03-28-2007   #11
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post

But, from the little I've seen from Schaub I think he's going to be darn good...

JMO
The problem is that as soon as teams had some film on Romo he struggled. A player has to adapt to defenses and Romo did not do that after his first several games.
Old 03-28-2007   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post

JMO
Romo a beast? He didn't play that well late in the year when teams kept him in the pocket.

Old 03-28-2007   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I'm excited about Schaub and looking forward to the season with him,
but I really think the value of any endorsement Kiper makes about a particular player is dubious.

Yeah, the fact that Kiper is pro-Schaub worries me and we might should have taken that into consideration and gone with Sage instead.
Old 03-28-2007   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy View Post
As I understand our offensive sets, the QB does not have to be exceptional. Just not subject to brain farts and turn overs. If he plays within the system and our pickups for 2006 & 2007 do only what they are projected to do, we should have a good year. Anything above that from anybody adds gravy for the chicken.
This is a fallacy. John Elway won at least 12 playoff games and participated in 5 Super Bowls. Since Elway retired the Broncos have won one playoff game after all these years. They also replaced a "serviceable" QB in Plummer by taking a QB that has the potential to be elite as they traded up to draft Cutler.

Old 03-28-2007   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Honest answer, it's just that the likelihood of him being better than a pro-bowl quality guy seems much lower than the likelihood of him being worse. It seems to me if he had perennial pro-bowler written all over him, he wouldn't have been drafted in the 3rd round, sat behind a starter for 3 years, and have a 0-2 starters record with a 1:1 TD to INT ratio. A much exaggerated, but analagous situation would be for me to say had I played the lottery last week I would've won. Nobody can tell me I wouldn't have, since I never played, but the odds that I would have would be infinitesimal (that's a huge overstatement, but you get the picture hopefully). The other reason is I tend to be pessimistic as a Texans fan who's had almost every major acquisition in his favorite franchise's existence blow up in his face. It's called learning by association. I'm not saying Schaub is going to suck, I'm just saying I'd be very, and pleasantly, surprised if he came in and played at a pro-bowl level after being a back up for 3 years.
What? Romo was undrafted and sat on the bench for 3-4 years before getting a chance to start. Schaub had been projected as a first rounder but dropped because he had a shoulder injury. Then he got stuck behind Vick who had a monster contract and even if they'd drafted Montana, Vick would have been starting. The Falcons fans that have seen Schaub in action have been impressed and they said part of the reason his stats were bad was because he usually only came in when the Falcons were way behind and he had to wing it and take risks in an attempt to bring the team back.
Old 03-28-2007   #16
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Its the cowboys radio...Of course there going to say something ridiculous about us !
Old 03-28-2007   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hahaha. After that disaster in the playoffs, I wouldn't be so smug.

Regarding Schaub...who knows? Kiper doesn't, the cowgirl jockers don't, nobody does.

Regarding Romo...who is the real Tony Romo? The guy who started out hot and threw 5 TDs against the Bucs? Or the guy who flamed out at the end of the year, throwing 8 picks and getting sacked 13 times over the last 5 regular season games? Oh, and letting a wild card game slip through his fingers. Romo still has a lot to prove.
Old 03-28-2007   #18
Dawgnme
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Dawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Evolve View Post
... let's not kid ourselves first he backdoored into the pro-bowl on a lil over half a season in the NFC that HAS to tell you something about the conference.
What you said, hoss! Romo as a Pro Bowler is relative - we are talking about the NFC, after all. Anyway, we all saw what happened after defensive coordinators had a few weeks of tape to scheme against him... X-POSED!!!

To the Schaub point, I found the ATL fan thread most interesting. Several of the posters point out the circumstances surrounding Schaub's INTs - desperation heaves just before the half or toward the end of games when they were clearly out of hand. I hope we get Brown in the draft to protect the guy.
Old 03-28-2007   #19
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Honest question....

How can you be sure that Schaub isn't going to be better than Romo if you haven't seen him play? Aren't you just as guilty as the guys you accuse of blindly liking Schaub over Romo? What's the difference? If neither of you guys have enough data to compile an opinion isn't your best bet to stay neutral instead of just assuming that there is no shot that Schaub can't be a better QB than an undrafted FA up in Jerryjonesville?
Nicely put.

The only test of a QB is how they play once teams have seen them play for a while and have seen their strengths and weaknesses.

It is something that makes evaluating backup quarterbacks very difficult if you have only been able to look at them in spot situations. Teams have to make educated guesses.

Romo's diminished play near the end of the season could be based on a number of factors, and maybe one of those might be teams better preparing for him. Hard to say.
Old 03-28-2007   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
The problem is that as soon as teams had some film on Romo he struggled. A player has to adapt to defenses and Romo did not do that after his first several games.
I agree. It will be interesting to see how Romo looks now that teams have a history to study, how Romo responds to being The Man and starting at the beginning of a season, and how well he reacts when the chips are down.

And honestly, everyone excuses it away, but the dude choked when his team needed him to do something simple like hold the ball for a FG attempt. The mindset of making a mistake at that point in the game, with your season on the line in the playoffs, can be revealing.

As far as Shaub is concerned, none of us know and we have to take a leap of faith. Personally, I think he's going to impress us and take charge of the offense like Texans fans have never seen before. But that's just me and my opinion.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read