Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-27-2007   #1
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP
Default What did Shaub see?

What convinced him that he would not get Carr-atomized? Was he simply smacking his lips at showing what he could do as a starter? Did he get info that made him believe that the Oline was going to stabilize with Black/ Spencer? Was he not concerned that we have no #2 WR (Walters? yeah right) Was he told a WR will be coming from draft? Was it take the $ and worry about the bruises later? Momma will love you know matter what those defensive bruisers do to her boy.
Old 03-27-2007   #2
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1297 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What did Shaub see?

too bad T.O.'s ex-publicist isn't Matt Schaub's current one...

"HE HAS 48 MILLION REASONS TO BE A HOUSTON TEXAN, THANK YOU"

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #3
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1297 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

...in all honesty though, he could just look at the game tape, and see that about 1/5 of those sacks were self-inflicted.

-Ben Franklin
Old 03-27-2007   #4
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Hopefully, he didn't care about the OL or WR...and not because of the money. If this guy is a competitor, he should want to go anywhere where has a chance to play now. If he were to stay in Atlanta, he would have started the year as the back-up and may not have seen the field for another season.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #5
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
...in all honesty though, he could just look at the game tape, and see that about 1/5 of those sacks were self-inflicted.
20% of 250 sacks=50. 250-50= 200 divided by 5 years= 40 sacks per year not self inflicted. Less ouch but still quite of bit and that is if Shaub causes no sacks.
Old 03-27-2007   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 53247 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

he saw gary kubiak and mike sherman, plain & simple. individually they're "masterminds" and together they're very similar to atlanta's attempted scheme under mora. after that he saw a team on the upswing who spent 2 draft picks last year on offensive tackles, a former probowl center (who texans fans know struggled mightily) signed last year and another signing this year as swing tackle or potential guard. also, he saw andre johnson, who almost single handedly is better than the entire falcons offense if given someone to throw him the ball more than 3 yards down the field. he saw a rookie that if he were targeted a whole season was going to be the best (statistical) tight end in the league. he saw young genius in lil shanahan as his personal tutor.

there are more reasons to quarterback for the texans than there are against. the only real scary part is carr's failures, but that's rooted in what happened 5 years ago. a relatively complete team without one part gives a quarterback an "i can be that guy" mentality. IMO it's similar to sean payton taking over for the saints ... fix one or two parts and the possibility for major returns can make a career in one or two seasons.
Old 03-27-2007   #7
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

I have a feeling Kubiak sold him on it during the golf game. But helps that Reliant's Facilities are top notch in the NFL, a young team to grow with, a young headcoach that is willing to take a risk on you, the chance to start in state where football is a second religion, and i think the direction the yare looking to take.

I also think it helped that he'd be going to a similar system he was learning in ATL and had played in under Al Groh.
Old 03-27-2007   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165633 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy View Post
What convinced him that he would not get Carr-atomized? Was he simply smacking his lips at showing what he could do as a starter? Did he get info that made him believe that the Oline was going to stabilize with Black/ Spencer? Was he not concerned that we have no #2 WR (Walters? yeah right) Was he told a WR will be coming from draft? Was it take the $ and worry about the bruises later? Momma will love you know matter what those defensive bruisers do to her boy.

I think that people who play this game, at this level are able to look at the Texans sack numbers and see them for what they are.

I imagine that he was told that the Texans are entering their second year in this system, expect to get much better this year, and that we suffered a number of injuries to our offensive line last year (which is true).

I also believe he was probably told that the Texans hope to get Spencer back and that Winston got much needed experience last year (also true).

I bet they told him that we did rather well over the last quarter of the season once the team got the offense down and the running game emerged (true again).

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Texans address the #2 WR spot in the draft. I also think that none of us really know whether Walters is capable of being a competent #2 since last year he got a mere handful of looks. I'm not sure what he did that made you guys think he couldn't step up. All I saw him do on the rare occaision that he got a look and a ball thrown his way was catch it and collect his first down.

We didn't know what Gaffney could do until he went somewhere else. We thought Eric Moulds was going to be a kick-butt #2 until he got here and stopped getting thrown to or even looked at. For all any of us know we have the next great WR tandem in Johnson and Walters.

I think he saw an opportunity to start on a team that was so focused on getting better that they were willing to look like fools and face the mistakes that had been made before. I think he must have thought that this franchise was on the ascent and he wanted to be a part of it.

I also think 48 million dollars doesn't hurt.
Old 03-27-2007   #9
Hall of Fame

Quote:
20% of 250 sacks=50. 250-50= 200 divided by 5 years= 40 sacks per year not self inflicted. Less ouch but still quite of bit and that is if Shaub causes no sacks.
true... and i'm not gonna lie, that o-line was totally horrible the first two years, especially year one. remember ryan schau? cameron spikes? yeah, thought so... schaub's never gonna have to yell at these scrubs after getting sacked... he's going to be treated way better than carr ever was, that's for sure.

-Ben Franklin
Old 03-27-2007   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147467 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
20% of 43 = 8.6. 43 - 8 = 35. 35 = tied for 17th in the league. Low average. And that's if our line and RB's don't improve.

We were tied for 23rd this year.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
true... and i'm not gonna lie, that o-line was totally horrible the first two years, especially year one. remember ryan schau? cameron spikes? yeah, thought so... schaub's never gonna have to yell at these scrubs after getting sacked... he's going to be treated way better than carr ever was, that's for sure.
Starting at right tackle..... Jimmy Herndon.
Old 03-27-2007   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165633 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ok, lets throw 2002 out of the equation because it's a grossly distorted number. Between David Carr being a rookie and having the worst bunch of scrubs to take the field since Cleveland got their team back it totally skews the numbers.

250 minus 76 is 174
174 less 20% is 139
139 divided by 4 is 35

Still not a great number I admit but a number of quarterbacks are effective with 35 sacks in a season.
Old 03-27-2007   #13
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 711 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Ok, lets throw 2002 out of the equation because it's a grossly distorted number. Between David Carr being a rookie and having the worst bunch of scrubs to take the field since Cleveland got their team back it totally skews the numbers.

250 minus 76 is 174
174 less 20% is 139
139 divided by 4 is 35

Still not a great number I admit but a number of quarterbacks are effective with 35 sacks in a season.
If the OL averaged about 2 sacks a game I would say thats a massive improvement.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #14
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Starting at right tackle..... Jimmy Herndon.
HAHAHAHA

maaan, that was the other name i was looking for! i had totally forgotten it!

this was back when our other marquee player on the line behind the uber-productive boselli was RYAN YOUNG... *shiver*

-Ben Franklin
Old 03-27-2007   #15
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 53247 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm not arguing any actual point here. herv i'd throw 03 out if you're being selective since it's the one year out of the norm. take it out and we average 48 sacks a season (if i'm looking at the right numbers) with your 20%. again, no point implied, just stating.
Old 03-27-2007   #16
texans83
All Pro

he saw a oppertunity so he jumped on it. The same thing I would have dont if I was in his shoes.
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #17
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Hopefully, the guy just is a COMPETITOR and wants to play.
Old 03-27-2007   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 213437 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Right or wrong (we shall see), Shaub probably thinks that he is going to be a much better QB than Carr at making reads and getting the ball off before taking a sack. A quick three step drop and zip pass on a timing pattern works wonders for keeping defensive linemen from getting to a QB. The WCO is all about pre-snap adjustments and hitting 2nd/3rd/4th reads on timing patterns. This was never Carr's strengths.
Old 03-27-2007   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe he realized that after sitting for 3 years, that there are only 32 starting QB positions. Since the Texans were interested in him as being a starter NOW and were going to pay starter money, well you get the point...

I pretty much would have seen what Schaub sees.
Old 03-27-2007   #20
A Texan
Veteran

Quote:
The average team last year allowed 36.3 sacks so 40 isn't that far off. And what did he have to lose? Atlanta allowed 47 sacks last year, the Texans 4 less (43).
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read