Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who would you rather start at SS next year ?
C.C Brown 18 19.78%
Glen Earl 73 80.22%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2007   #1
real

Default C.C Brown Vs. Glenn Earl

VS.

I know this topic has been discussed a few times, but seeing that the draft is around the corner, and most(if not all) are hoping for a new FS, I thought I'd bring it back up. IMO, both of these guys are strong safeties, and neither is suited to play the Free.

Here are C.C's career stats:

2005: 79 Tackles, 1 int, 1 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble
2006: 76 Tackles, 1 int, 4 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble, 1 sack

Here are Earl's career stats:

2004: 44 Tackles
2005: 35 Tackles, 2 Int, 3 pass deflections
2006: 74 Tackles, 1 int, 3 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble, 2 sacks

I remember C.C's rookie year, he lead the team in tackles through a good portion of the beggining of the season. I really liked C.C as a rookie playing SS. Of course he made rookie mistakes, but I thought he was very active and had good instincts at the position. He was also, IMO, very fast to the ball carrier. Originally I think I may have wanted Earl to play the position, but thinking about it, I'd rather have C.C start at the Strong Safety position. He's not as big as Earl, but he hits just as hard. I don't have their actual 40 times, but to me it seems as if C.C plays faster. I also like how C.C plays around the line of scrimmage.

Who would you rather start ?

Last edited by real; 03-27-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2007   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: C.C Brown Vs. Glenn Earl

Good thread for discussion. IMO, it's a toss up. I think they're similar in the way they play. Although I voted for Earl, they both have decent ability to play the position. Earl just seems to lay the wood a little harder than C.C.
Old 03-27-2007   #3
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
VS.

I know this topic has been discussed a few times, but seeing that the draft is around the corner, and most(if not all) are hoping for a new FS, I thought I'd bring it back up. IMO, both of these guys are strong safeties, and neither is suited to play the Free.

Here are C.C's career stats:

2005: 79 Tackles, 1 int, 1 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble
2006: 76 Tackles, 1 int, 4 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble, 1 sack

Here are Earl's career stats:

2004: 44 Tackles
2005: 35 Tackles, 2 Int, 3 pass deflections
2006: 74 Tackles, 1 int, 3 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble, 2 sacks

I remember C.C's rookie year, he lead the team in tackles through a good portion of the beggining of the season. I really liked C.C as a rookie playing SS. Of course he made rookie mistakes, but I thought he was very active and had good instincts at the position. He was also, IMO, very fast to the ball carrier. Originally I think I may have wanted Earl to play the position, but I thinking about it, I'd rather have C.C start at the Strong Safety position. He's not as big as Earl, but he hits just as hard. I don't have their actual 40 times, but to me it seems as if C.C plays faster. I also like how C.C plays around the line of scrimmage.

Who would you rather start ?
I'm in favor of moving Glenn Earl and starting him at FS. That's where he played at ND if I'm not mistaken. C.C. should provide depth at SS. If I'm the Texans I'm drafting Aaron Rouse in the 3rd round and letting Rouse battle it out with C.C. in Training Camp.
Old 03-27-2007   #4
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Good thread for discussion. IMO, it's a toss up. I think they're similar in the way they play. Although I voted for Earl, they both have decent ability to play the position. Earl just seems to lay the wood a little harder than C.C.
So far it seems as if I'm the only one who likes C.C...

I really don't think it's fair to judge him from this last year because he was playing out of position IMO. IMHO, I think C.C played better or just as good at SS his rookie year that Glen Earl played this past year.

Wouldn't be upset with either, but I think C.C has a chance to be a darn good SS. JMO
Old 03-27-2007   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102688 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I went with CC Brown, but really I can't pin point why... I mean its a toss up as far as I'm concerned.... Maybe because of the story I saw about him when he was being drafted and his duty with the National Guard...
Old 03-27-2007   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102688 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted... but for the wrong guy... Signing off now to drink some coffee.
Old 03-27-2007   #7
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Glenn Earl! WOO! Earl all the way!
Old 03-27-2007   #8
B.Diddy
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to B.Diddy

I have to go with Gleen Earl after he Posterized Shockey
Old 03-27-2007   #9
texans83
All Pro

I picked C.C. baby, I say give him the chance and draft a free saftey. I agree with you on the fact that I dont think either one can really play free.
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #10
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Diddy View Post
I'm not going to lie...

That was a really nice hit.....Good payback for how Shockey did us in the pre-season his rookie year...
Old 03-27-2007   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I like CC at Free Safety. Show me 5 FS with better stats...

He's still young, his DC didn't know what he was doing, his DL didn't know what they were doing, His corners sure as heck didn't know what they were doing.

I'm not saying CC was the only one on the team who knew what he was doing, but I'd totally understand if Smith gets us a CB in the first round, and not a FS.
Old 03-27-2007   #12
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Diddy View Post
Exactly.....Shockey got JACKED UP! Love that more so since for the longest of times, the kept replaying when Shockey ran over several Texans his rookie year.
Old 03-27-2007   #13
cuzof26
Rookie

i agree with you kiss...although i have to stay loyal to my earl moniker, i keep hearing (from 26) that safety is an issue but the real help they need is up front. I agree both are ss playing fs, but help up front would make a significant difference for both players---vote earl
Old 03-27-2007   #14
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Making this thread was the first time I actually looked at our safeties stats...

They actually both had quite a few tackles...Both had Sacks, Int's, and Forced fumbles....

But I still don't like C.C at the free....I don't like his pass coverage skills...He's not really the ball-hawking type I would like to have back there...

But you're absolutely right about the cornerback position...If we went Leon Hall or Chris Houston in the first I wouldn't be mad at that at all...

Though everyone probably knows I'd prefer the Mayor of Hit City.
Old 03-27-2007   #15
texans83
All Pro

ok I have a question. What if we do pick Hall or a stud corner do you think we can move Flanagan(how ever you spell it) to free safety until say a rookie that we draft later (second day or something) can fill in. Im just wondering I know that the corner position is much harder to play then say the free safety IMO.
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans83 View Post
ok I have a question. What if we do pick Hall or a stud corner do you think we can move Flanagan(how ever you spell it) to free safety until say a rookie that we draft later (second day or something) can fill in. Im just wondering I know that the corner position is much harder to play then say the free safety IMO.
Faggan's??

I'd still prefer CC to Faggans as a safety. Now Dunta, I'll take Dunta as a safety over CC.
Old 03-27-2007   #17
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO its Glenn Earl's spot to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #18
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
IMO its Glenn Earl's spot to lose.

I dunno...

I'm thinking they put C.C at Free because he's slightly smaller, and probably a bit better at playing deep than Earl although that's not saying much...

I have no idea what the Texans are going to do next, but my guess is that they are going to do like TKyss mentioned, and draft a corner in the first round...

But if they did draft a safety, I dunno that that spot will be Earls to lose...He wasn't any better than C.C last year IMO...
Old 03-27-2007   #19
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I dunno...

I'm thinking they put C.C at Free because he's slightly smaller, and probably a bit better at playing deep than Earl although that's not saying much...

I have no idea what the Texans are going to do next, but my guess is that they are going to do like TKyss mentioned, and draft a corner in the first round...

But if they did draft a safety, I dunno that that spot will be Earls to lose...He wasn't any better than C.C last year IMO...
Im not saying that C.C wouldnt earn the spot before preseason ended because I think their is a good chance that he would. For some reason I cant really explain why I just would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #20
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

He's still young, his DC didn't know what he was doing, his DL didn't know what they were doing, His corners sure as heck didn't know what they were doing.

I'm not saying CC was the only one on the team who knew what he was doing, but I'd totally understand if Smith gets us a CB in the first round, and not a FS.
And to add to this post C.C. didn't know what he was doing I don't know it isn't really about stats as much as it was C.C> was caught out of position alot last year in coverage and pretty consistenly got fooled by play action

*edit*
Plus my avatar told me so.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read