Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-27-2007   #1
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro
Default Expectations of Mario Williams in 2007

i figured since we have an expectation thread for matt schaub our new number 8 we could use a expectation thread on our former 1st overall pick last year.

so what is everyones expectations for mario this season?

i want to see him be the dominant player he was at college for a good portion of the season...i know he's not ready yet to be a dominant every game but if he can rack up around 10 sacks this season i think we have look at that as huge improvement...i want to see him develop a second pass rush technique...and i want to see him at one position...not switching back and fourth between dt and de...i think that alone will help him the most
Old 03-27-2007   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Expectations of Mario Williams in 2007

Expecatations....

"Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out!!!! "
Old 03-27-2007   #3
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 60 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected

Double Digit Sacks

and maybe towards the end of the season, see him able to get some penetration from inside the line, but thats icing on the cake.

Last edited by joedinkle; 03-27-2007 at 08:45 AM.
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #4
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I just expect him to be there to force teams to run the other way and to have a few more games like the Giants game. I expect to see OT's flying into the backfield and landing on their backs and some QB's to have that "OH SHEEET!!!!" look on their faces.

I don't want to get caught up in numbers other than wins and losses.
Old 03-27-2007   #5
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedinkle View Post
Double Digit Sacks
I agree.

I predict an 11 sack season.
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #6
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, my expectations for him is no different than the rest of the team. I say just go out and give it your all, 100% of the time. I don't like excuses about him or anyone else for that matter playing in pain and all that stuff. If you're on the field, play hard. It's just that simple.
Old 03-27-2007   #7
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly I do not care how many sacks he gets, if he can demand double coverage often, that should lead to sacks for the team.

I expect to see him more calm than last year, fewer jitters. And if the toe-thingie were the thing holding him back last year (I guess it is, I have no reason to think otherwise) then he'll be a dominating factor on our defence.

So... I expect few sacks from Mario, but a dominating and vital role in the defense, leading to overall success
Old 03-27-2007   #8
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

SuperBowl MVP. Nothing less.

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #9
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

pro-bowl...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #10
texans83
All Pro

I would like to see him in the pro bowl but if nothing else as long as he contributes to us getting our first winning season then I would say thats a start.
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #11
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

He had 4.5 sacks at the mid-point of last season then suffered from plantar fasciitis. I think he will be very good this year, but not great. I'm guessing 8-12 sacks if he stays healthy at least 14 games.
Old 03-27-2007   #12
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

I expect him to be a top 5 pass rusher and lead our team with tackles for loss. Tackles for loss are just as valuable as sacks, but they aren't talked about as much. I also expect a few more forced fumbles. He showed great progression last season and now that he is injury free he should come out with a lot to prove and have a great season.
Old 03-27-2007   #13
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

inducted into the Hall of Fame during the bye week.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #14
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Sprout wings and fly around the stadium whistling the Star Spangled Banner and perhaps to solve the AIDS crisis in Africa.

I mean...vince shoots lasers out his eyes...Mario's gotta one-up that.
Old 03-27-2007   #15
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 60 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
I expect him to be a top 5 pass rusher and lead our team with tackles for loss.
Agreed, that is a big deal to me as well. Equally as important as sacks, since the result is the same...lost yardage.
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
Sprout wings and fly around the stadium whistling the Star Spangled Banner and perhaps to solve the AIDS crisis in Africa.

I mean...vince shoots lasers out his eyes...Mario's gotta one-up that.
Then shouldn't he shoot lasers out of his... lack of information?
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #17
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre View Post
He had 4.5 sacks at the mid-point of last season then suffered from plantar fasciitis. I think he will be very good this year, but not great. I'm guessing 8-12 sacks if he stays healthy at least 14 games.
That sound more likely....I'll say 10-14 though. It may sound a bit much, but he was on a roll to get 9 last season before the injury, and hopefully he will only improve. The only thing that might keep him at 10 sacks or fewer is the fact that we still don't have a single quality DT.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #18
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Haha I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone say "go back in time and make the Texans select VY"

But seriously, I fully expect him to produce at least 10 sacks and 2 forced fumbles
Old 03-27-2007   #19
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect Mario to kick Chuck Norris's Butt.
Old 03-27-2007   #20
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

I expect him to play well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read