Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cheap shots

TsJagman

Practice Squad
You know, this is your board, you run it the way you want to, but I am here to discuss this, as it seems like it is the ONLY thing some people talk about. I am not gonna call anyone out, by name, but do have something to say about it.

Does anyone here, other then me, think we can get past this issue? Or is this the only issue that matters? I have tried hard to ignore this issue, but seem to find in every other post in every other thread, something about. Let it die already. Stop living in the past. Both your fan base, and Jags fan base have been very good at talking about our rising stars, and look forward to future years, when we will be on top of the division, battling it out year after year. The Colts and tack on the other hand, only have prior years to look forward to. Next year the piper comes a calling for the Colts, and this year he has already come for the Tacks. The structures of both of the teams there are the worst in football. The two model franchises, bar none, are the Jags and Texans.

Cheaps shots are the ones you see like last night, when Foster takes out Williams. Cheap shots are the ones you don't see coming. Where someone is gone for the year after the play.

So fans, let's move forward, and stop looking at the past. Many of you do that here, many of you still want to dwell on the past.

About this issue, I have already said several times on other posts it was last season, it's over, this is a new season.

TsJagman...I know that this post is directed to a few people, including myself.

I will compromise with you because this is a different season than 02' and 03', and it looks like both teams are starting to play high-caliber football, rather than beating up on each other.

But, if in the event that it does happen again...may it never rest.

Agreed?

It was last season, however I would like to know if you would feel the same way if the helmet were on the other head.
I agree it is the past, but when you take shots like that in this league especially in a dvision game, you only ask for it the following meeting.

I do however believe that our team and yours have more at stake then revenge. If we win, the Jags aren't too far ahead in the division. If we lose, we have to take a back seat to you guys for a couple more games.

84 I wasn't directing it at you. I was directing it at EVERYONE. Jag and Texan fans alike. If it happens to agree, there is no place for it in football, and hopefully after what happen last night, the NFL will take that stance also. I wouldn't throw it in anyone elses face though. No one on these boards are throwing cheap shots.

El Tejano I look at the game, the same way you do.

Like I said, the cheap shots I think that need to be taken care of, are the ones the broncos hand out.

TsJagman said:
Like I said, the cheap shots I think that need to be taken care of, are the ones the broncos hand out.

I agree about the Broncos....its strange how they get away with stuff like that. Madden even said that the type of block he put on is legal.
Puts the guy out for the season, on one selfish move.

BTW...You guys have already played Denver...did they use any of these cuts on your linemen?

TEXANS84 said:
I agree about the Broncos....its strange how they get away with stuff like that. Madden even said that the type of block he put on is legal.

BTW...You guys have already played Denver...did they use any of these cuts on your linemen?

Yeah, we lost a DE, Paul Spicer, to one, by Lepsis. His foot was turned around backwards, it was broken so bad.

this is exactly why i wish i had all of the games on dvd. i don't remember the cheap shots from last year but i have slept and partied a lot since then so i'm sure it's just my memory failing. i need to buy a vcr and just record all of the games on cumbersome vhs tapes i suppose.

TEXANS84 said:

Unfortunately 'chop blocks' are legal, but there is a fine line between a chop block and a 'crack back' block. If a lineman is engaged in a block and then he gets hit low by another player, then it is a 'crack back'. If he is in a one on one situation it is a legal 'chop block'. I consider chop blocking borderline unethical, but it is certainly legal until they put a stop to this kind of stuff.

As a general rule of thumb if it's your team it's a hard hit.

If it's the other team it's a cheap shot.

I'm guessing there aren't too many Bronco fans upset with their O line today and I'm sure the Bengals fans are angry.

Hey, I'm all for the forgive-and-forget school of thought, but consider this: long-term rivalries, the really GOOD ones, are often based on irrational emotions. I know Cowboys fans who HATE the Redskins because of perceived foul play; also, how about the time that Buddy Ryan (when he was with the Eagles) put a bounty on one of the Cowboys when Philly came to Dallas? Dallas fans have yet to put that one behind them.

So yeah, I'm all for the respect your opponent aspect of the game; I try to teach my son to be respectful of the other team AND their fans, and a great example of that was when we went to KC several weeks ago and he got to see how the KC fans attitudes slowly changed for the worse as the clock ticked off the final minutes of the game.

But I digress. Someday, somehow, the Texans are gonna get a 'real' rivalry going with someone; a true, hate-your-guts, sins-of-the-past sorta rivalry. I don't see the Jags or even the Titans filling that role yet; it's gonna take a bitter loss in a meaningful game for that to happen. (Texans v. Cowboys, Sep '02 has been the only meaningful game we've played, IMHO, and we won that one.) In the meantime, we're all still friends around here, huh?

Glen

Chop blocks (where two o-linemen block one d-lineman – one above the knees and the other below the knees) are illegal.

Cut blocks (below the knees blocks employed by o-linemen and the kind employed by Denver, the Texans, and a lot of other teams who attempt to exploit cutback running lanes) are not illegal as long as the block is not from behind and as long as the block occurs within 3 yards + or - from the line of scrimmage.

Illegal crackback blocks are below the waist and usually done by receivers who move back inside at the snap to block/seal. Same as a clip basically, but at or near the LOS.

Legal crackback blocks are above the waist and usually by receivers moving back inside at the snap to block/seal.

Yeah, I butchered my post and I'll get the terms confused but I do know that you can't hit an engaged defender low around the line of scrimmage so Foster's hit on Williams was legal according to the NFL.

To refresh some memories.
1. JJ getting hit on a fair catch
2. DC getting clothslined

Are there any other "dirty" moves that can be recalled?

Bah, there is nothing wrong with fostering a good rivarly. Keeping in mind plays like the ones being discussed in this thread are an excellent way to do that. To me, good rivalries are key to sports. If everyone was all lovey dovey and didn't want any animosity towards their fellow man, football wouldn't be anywhere NEAR as entertaining.

So I say screw not living in the past. Thinking about that sort of stuff pumps me up for future games, and the more intensity revolving around my sports teams the better.

rittenhouserobz said:
To refresh some memories.
1. JJ getting hit on a fair catch
2. DC getting clothslined

Are there any other "dirty" moves that can be recalled?

I have to disagree with this moving on stuff. Bad blood from previous matchups is the spice of a rivalry. Locker room fodder if you will. Fans and players use it more than you would like to admit. Heck! some players make up stuff just to get the blood goin. SD thought we kept the roof closed to get ready for the Lions and they used that BS as motivation. The cheap shot on JJ is perfect motivational tool for the next years matchup. After all, that is the real deterant to shots like that..the fear that it will be done to you as payback. No freebies! Actually, I wasnt so mad myself about it till i saw the Jville coach give him an "atta-boy" when he ran to the sidelines after the play. As far as it being a key issue for the game Sunday.....not even close.

TsJagman said:
The Colts and tack on the other hand, only have prior years to look forward to. Next year the piper comes a calling for the Colts, and this year he has already come for the Tacks. The structures of both of the teams there are the worst in football. The two model franchises, bar none, are the Jags and Texans
stop smoking what you are smoking....that statement is quite hilarous. and it obviously shows a guy that is not using the common sense...is just using the hatred, to speak out.

Hmmm...the second half of the season is about to start..let's see what your Kitties are made of!!

Titanico said:
stop smoking what you are smoking....that statement is quite hilarous. and it obviously shows a guy that is not using the common sense...is just using the hatred, to speak out.

Hmmm...the second half of the season is about to start..let's see what your Kitties are made of!!
There is no hatred speaking out. The tacks have fallen flat on their faces, and only a blind tack can not see this. Don't let facts stand in the way of your tunnel vision either, your team is gonna be dismantled faster then the King dome was taken out.

So let the second half start. When in fact, for both franchise, the Jags and Texans, have already faced the hardest parts of our schedules, in our opinions.

TsJagman said:
When in fact, for both franchise, the Jags and Texans, have already faced the hardest parts of our schedules, in our opinions.

Man, I wish you were right about that! These next 3 games for Houston could be killers. One against the Jags, and then two types of Nags (Denver and Indy), with the latter 2 games on the road. These three weeks are going to be seriously tough games for the Texans. If they come out of that stretch 2-1, I'll be ecstatic!

On the other hand, with the exception of the non-conference game against the Vikings, I can see where you'd say J-ville has been through the worst of its schedule...especially since you get that cupcake game against the Tacks on 11/21! :hehe:

TexanExile said:
Man, I wish you were right about that! These next 3 games for Houston could be killers. One against the Jags, and then two types of Nags (Denver and Indy), with the latter 2 games on the road. These three weeks are going to be seriously tough games for the Texans. If they come out of that stretch 2-1, I'll be ecstatic!

On the other hand, with the exception of the non-conference game against the Vikings, I can see where you'd say J-ville has been through the worst of its schedule...especially since you get that cupcake game against the Tacks on 11/21! :hehe:
Come on now, just take a look at our game tapes of both Denver and Indy, that will show you exactly what you need to do to beat both teams.

We are giving you the secrets to beating them.

TsJagman said:
Come on now, just take a look at our game tapes of both Denver and Indy, that will show you exactly what you need to do to beat both teams.

We are giving you the secrets to beating them.

Secret to beating Denver? What's that, have Quentin Griffin fumble in the last seconds. Unfortunately he won't be handing the game to us on a silver platter because he's out for the season.

Back