Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-26-2007   #1
carrlover
Rookie

Default The new Texans

It seems like in the last few days all I have heard is who's gone, who's new. it sounds like to me that they have just deceided to clean house and start pretty much all over again, if your hurt you're gone, expecially if you are costing to much to sit on the bench. I hope that we can at least end the year a 500 team... we will see.
carrlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #2
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The new Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrlover View Post
It seems like in the last few days all I have heard is who's gone, who's new. it sounds like to me that they have just deceided to clean house and start pretty much all over again, if your hurt you're gone, expecially if you are costing to much to sit on the bench. I hope that we can at least end the year a 500 team... we will see.
I guess you would want your job to continue to pay you even if you cannot work? Yeah like that is going to happen, please leave and comeback when you checked into the real world.
Old 03-26-2007   #3
carrlover
Rookie

no that is not waht i am saying, i agree that if you are hurt then we need to put the money into someone who can bring us results, all i am saying is that with all the players who have been there since day 1 that we can really turn this team around
Old 03-26-2007   #4
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point, I think it's more about change. Regardless of our record in '07, at least we won't be seeing the same old, tired mistakes we've been seeing. I'm personally happy to see lots of different arguements here on the boards. Some of us(I'm guilty at times) are still complaining about things that don't matter, but, overall, these threads are new and exciting. Great things could happen this year.
Old 03-26-2007   #5
carrlover
Rookie

great things better happen this year!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2007   #6
carrlover
Rookie

well it still pisses me off to hear it, the last time houston had a good football team is when we had the houston gamblers.... we need some wins
Old 03-26-2007   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I guess you would want your job to continue to pay you even if you cannot work? Yeah like that is going to happen, please leave and comeback when you checked into the real world.
My job will pay me if I can't work... I can get full pay & everything for up to a year, then if I still can't work, I'd get a medical retirement. Not exactly 100% of my salary, but quite a bit, and I'm allowed to work as long as I'm not doing what I was medically unfit to do.
Old 03-26-2007   #8
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care if you've been on this team a day or for five years, if you are not producing and are costing us money, it's time to go. I don't know any of these guys, they don't come to my house for poker. . . . I'm sure they are all fine people, but I want to win.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
well it still pisses me off to hear it, the last time houston had a good football team is when we had the houston gamblers.... we need some wins
honestly, i'm surprised you're still here. congrats.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I guess the Oiler teams of the late 80's and early 90's escape your memory. This town knows what a winner is and tolerates nothing less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
My job will pay me if I can't work... I can get full pay & everything for up to a year, then if I still can't work, I'd get a medical retirement. Not exactly 100% of my salary, but quite a bit, and I'm allowed to work as long as I'm not doing what I was medically unfit to do.
You have a good job. A lot of people can't count on that. It's kind of galling to see a sports figure make the money he does, with all the garauntees and watch people like policemen and firefighters struggle and have to get scond jobs. Not trying to make political commentary, but that's how I see it.
Old 03-26-2007   #11
shanden
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 shanden is on the Pro-Bowl ballotshanden is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I think one of the reasons I can't stand baseball anymore is the guaranteed in full contracts.

Seriously how many players actually live up to those? The NFL system is a much higher motivator for staying on your game, due to releases, and guarantees being lower.

I think the only thing worse then baseball contracts are high level corporate America where the CEO's get amazing raises for the privilege of being fired or retiring. At least in baseball you actually have to play and if you get suspended or banned you lose salary.
shanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #12
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I guess the Oiler teams of the late 80's and early 90's escape your memory. This town knows what a winner is and tolerates nothing less.
So how many superbowls did these "great" teams win?
Old 03-26-2007   #13
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5776 View Post
the Bills of the early 1990's didn't win any Super Bowls but they were considered a great team because they consistently made and went far in the playoffs. the Oilers of the late 80's-early 90's were a fun team to watch with the great defense and offense they employed. they didnt win any Super Bowls, but that didn't change my commitment at all.
Old 03-27-2007   #14
Sco-tai
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5776 View Post
Dirty Steve,

Thank you for responding to this idiotic message.

Many, MANY great teams missed the APEX of actually WINNING the SuperBowl.

Just ask the Cowgurls....they may only have a few ACTUAL SuperBowl wins...but if you ask their fans...they shoulda/coulda/woulda won 30+ IF so and so or this and that weren't out to get them.

Old 03-27-2007   #15
texun
Rookie

If you do something the same old way, you get the same old results.

The results of the Texans over the past 5 years are unacceptable - therefore, change is necessary. I like all the moves our FO is making, although only time will tell if Schaub is worth two second round picks. The talent upgrade has been significant.

Now if we just have a good draft to fill in some of the holes I can see us being very competitive this year. We are definitly moving in the right direction.
texun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #16
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco-tai View Post
Dirty Steve,

Thank you for responding to this idiotic message.

Many, MANY great teams missed the APEX of actually WINNING the SuperBowl.

Just ask the Cowgurls....they may only have a few ACTUAL SuperBowl wins...but if you ask their fans...they shoulda/coulda/woulda won 30+ IF so and so or this and that weren't out to get them.

Feel free to call my message idiotic, but I can not call the oilers teams of the 80s/90s great. The Bills teams were great, they won the confernce easily but never could quite pull it off in the superbowl. The oilers however, had more talent and skill than just about any team in the NFL but always collasped/ choked early in the playoffs and did it with dramtic flare. Some might put the two teams in the same category, but I am not one of them.
Old 03-27-2007   #17
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
Interesting post. I just don't find myself nostalgic or maudlin over the remnants of a 2-14 team. That was one filthy house.
Old 03-27-2007   #18
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't or won't put the Oilers of Pastorini, Campbell, Mauck, Johnson, Bethea in the same group as Moon, Givins, Jefferies, Jones.

To me, the older version was the best team to follow and be a fan of. The later version was gimmicky and full of "Me first" players. IMO.

DC got grief for dink and dunk, but the Moon-led Oilers were nothing but 5-7 yd routes.
Old 03-27-2007   #19
OrangeCountyTexansFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
It's kind of galling to see a sports figure make the money he does, with all the garauntees and watch people like policemen and firefighters struggle and have to get scond jobs. Not trying to make political commentary, but that's how I see it.
Somewhere, in an alternate universe, pro atheletes are driving mini-vans while school teachers roll in BMWs.
Old 03-27-2007   #20
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

But they made the playoffs year in and year out and all you hear on here is this Texans team better make the playoff soon, so if they start making the playoffs but no Superbowl do you turn on them. Those Oilers teams made the playoffs what 7 years in a row and I remember the house of pain rocking, I would be happy if our Texans made the playoffs 7 years in a row.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read