Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-26-2007   #1
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Amobi Okoye workout details

per TFY...

Okoye weighed in at 301-pounds, almost 15-pounds heavier than his weight at the Senior Bowl. His short shuttle time was impressive in the 4.3's. Okoye did not lift or participate in the vertical jump.

As we reported last week the Washington Redskins brain trust which included Daniel Snyder, Vinny Cerrato, Joe Gibbs and Greg Williams put Okoye through a hard workout on Saturday.

The buzz from other teams has the Skins considering using the sixth pick of the draft on Okoye. The Houston Texans, who own the draft's 8th selection, are also high on him.**

Okoye did not run the forty with the other Cardinals, preferring to initially take part in the defensive line drills. Sources have said he looked solid in all aspects.

Okoye did end the workout by running the forty, turning in times in the mid-4.8 second range. This was purposely done to "protect" his hamstring as he wanted to get the defensive line work in first.

**this was written today, so they must've simply forgot about the 8th/10th pick swapping. no biggie.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Amobi Okoye workout details

Thanks for the input. Wouldn't mind seeing Okoye in a Texans uni!! I keep saying that about all the top prospects!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Did they mention how tall he measured??

Last edited by thunderkyss; 03-26-2007 at 09:43 PM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #4
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

We'd have one of the most talented young d-lines with Okoye in the fold.

But the FO appears to be doing damage control this year (releasing Carr, saying we need "playmakers", signing Green, resigning AJ, etc.) so I dont think they're gonna take another d-lineman with their first round pick after taking a dl in the first in the last 3 drafts.

Although I certainly wouldn't mind Okoye next to Mario.
Old 03-26-2007   #5
Texan_Aggie222
Rookie

I hope we draft this guy. He would fill a serious hole, because we don't even know with Travis Johnson is a real player yet. He is 19, a great young athlete, and has a leadership quality role in him as well.
Texan_Aggie222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #6
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2575 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

We really need a guy on the interior, Okoye would be a much needed addition.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems like his weight has fluctuated all over the place, and some scouts have questioned this.

How do you think this may effect him? Once he's in the pro's I'm sure the team nutritionist will help. I wonder what weight he will finally settle down to. Do you think this could be a legitimate concern?
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2007   #8
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

Well according to this mock, we have a chance at Okoye and even Levi Brown!

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #9
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the guy I was hoping the Texans would take at #8 (now #10), but I just don't know if it's going to happen. First, because of the reason you just posted, with the Skins being interested in him. Second, because I'm getting the feeling the Texans are going to try to trade down and recoup that 2nd rounder they gave up to get Schaub. Well, you never know what's going to happen come draft day. Maybe we'll get lucky! JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #10
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

So let me get this straight...got a guy with a monster first step...over three hundred pounds and runs like a line backer...and you still want an under producing FS or WR2 over the guy.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 03-27-2007 at 12:06 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #11
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
So let me get this straight...got a guy with a monster first step...over three hundred pounds and runs like a line backer...and you still want an under producing FS or WR2 over the guy. Yeah I got it. Our fan base is to GD stupid to be any good.
that's what i dont understand--more push up front = more turnovers down the field. okoye would be perfect. we could get a good safety prospect like wendling later on.
Old 03-26-2007   #12
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

This has been my #1 guy since day one, over landry. People say we need another defensive end... but I don't see why people are saying that, here is my explanation:

If we get another defensive tackle, Weaver can just worry about defensive end, and have jason babin come in on passing downs will mario will be opposite. Weaver puts up a decent pass rush and plays well against the run, babin is actually developing into a good pass rusher, and led our team in sacks this past season. Our problem is our interior defensive line, I am not sure what Travis Johnson is up to but he may be able to win that second spot, that first spot I hope will belong to Okoye. With all our guy off the streets providing depth. That makes our defensive line look much better this year with Weaver and Williams on the ends, Babin pass rushing, and Johnson and Okoye in the interior. With Williams foot, johnson back from injury, and okoye added in, our defensive line will be vastly improved and we won't have to worry about it for years.

People then argue, what about our defensive backs?

Faggins is a decent corner, but honestly should be a nickel back, with a good pass rush he actuall finds the ball in the air and attacks it well, his problem is staying with the receiver and sometimes following receivers inside while other receivers go behind him deep. D-Rob is still learning and I think now with extra motivation he will have a rebound year. Glenn Earl is a decent safety, our weakness is our free safety position. We can draft a quality starter in the 3rd round I believe, and with our improved defensive line it will make a stronger pass rush which will make our defensive backs better. Something that might help is running some more cover 2, this will create more sacks and turnovers due to our corners disrupting timing with a jam, and our linebackers carrying the seems and our safeties being over the top, creates a misconception for quarterbacks, and with our improved pass rush, will make it even tougher.
Old 03-27-2007   #13
JAXwithanX
Veteran

Holy **** I feel like I'm taking crazy pills....I have been posting for weeks we should take Okoye....and not once has anyone backed me up. Seriously....this guy could break the whole line free for us. Everyone would reach full potential cause there would be no such thing as double teams.
JAXwithanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #14
trutxn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Did they mention how tall he measured??
He is 6.1, very low to the ground, wide base, and has plenty of room and yrs to grow.
Old 03-27-2007   #15
trutxn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAXwithanX View Post
Holy **** I feel like I'm taking crazy pills....I have been posting for weeks we should take Okoye....and not once has anyone backed me up. Seriously....this guy could break the whole line free for us. Everyone would reach full potential cause there would be no such thing as double teams.
Everyone would love to see Okoye next to Mario!
Old 03-27-2007   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAXwithanX View Post
Jax, please stop exciting me!! lol
Old 03-27-2007   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

I must have a future in politics I flip flop so much. Bring me Amobi Okoye at #10!
Old 03-27-2007   #18
redkoolaid
Rookie

still not really sold on him..
redkoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

with the potential bears/redskins trade, i think chicago would be willing to take okoye at #6.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #20
The Preacher
Veteran

If this is the case then expect a few years for major impact. Even Tommie Harris took a while but he was obviously worth it as you could see the difference in the BEARS D without him in there. D-linemen are risky picks and after so many in the last few years, I would be surprised to see them go there again. Trading down and grabbing Kalil/Nelson and then Gonzalez/ol/s with an extra pick would be nice. So many needs an extra pick to help solidify the o-line and the defense seems more rational. I just like safer picks and Okoye despite the upside probably won't have much of an impact anytime soon. If d-line is a must have then Harrell/ol,s,wr would also be my preference instead. Lots of undervalued players in the projected 30-50 range as heart and intellect are regularly overlooked.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read