Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-26-2007   #1
redkoolaid
Rookie

Default Nelson..or Landry..

At the No. 10 pick, if you had your choice between LaRon Landry..or Reggie Nelson..who would you take??

Me personally, even though Landry is a beast, and is probably more polished right now...

something tells me that Nelson has untapped potential, and will wind up being a better pro than Landry...

I'd go with Nelson...

Landry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bip9KlMxd04

Nelson:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zw7nxl4qa4
redkoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Nelson..or Landry..

nelson. a more complete package.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #3
real

I like Nelson more than Landry, but that may just be my personal bias.

I wouldn't complain about either one of those guys, but what we lack in is what Nelson excels at.

Nelson is great in pass coverage and creating turnovers. Landry is good in pass coverage and good at stopping the run.

For our defense I like Nelson best.
Old 03-26-2007   #4
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Landry. He's a more DEFINITE FS.

Even though Nelson is probably better in coverage I think it would be nice to finally have a natural FS and Landry is the better playmaker imo.
Old 03-26-2007   #5
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill View Post
Landry. He's a more DEFINITE FS.

Even though Nelson is probably better in coverage I think it would be nice to finally have a natural FS and Landry is the better playmaker imo.
I think your observations are backward but hey, everyone's entitled to an opinion.
Old 03-26-2007   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Either player I would be happy with and both are going to be great FS's in the NFL.

I'd take landry over nelson. I actually like him for this defense better than nelson. Good in coverage (nelson better), Great tackler (better than nelson), good leader, 4 years of experience in the SEC, plays very fast in pads, hides the blitz very well and can be used up on the line against a slot receiver, stop the run, and blitzing the qb.

I think he's an all around more complete player. brings consistency.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #7
real

I might get flamed for this but oh well...

When I see Landry, he always has a blank expression on his face like a drone...I know that you can't use that as a judge for how a football player will play, but I see Landry as a what you see is what you get player. I don't see him as the type of player that's going to make big plays...I see him as the type of player that can capatalize on the other teams mistakes because for the most part he's going to be in the right place. I don't see him as the type of player like an Ed Redd that will take chances in order to make big plays....And his "blitzing skills" don't impress me...How many times did we blitz C.C last year ? 3? 4?...I can only remember one time honestly....

I see Nelson as having more of a natural feel for the position. I see him as the type of player that will jump routes and take chances in order to make game changing turnovers...No he's not going to come up and smack a Jamal Lewis type back in the mouth, but I'm not sure that's really all that important for us to have a FS capable of doing that. The way our team plays I think it'd be much more valuable to have a guy in the secondary that opposing QB's have to worry about all over the secondary.
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2007   #8
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

fun post here:
Quote:
Here's a question for you. What safeties in the NFL would you trade the #9 pick in the draft for? Give a yay or nay to the following:

Ed Reed
Troy Polamalu
Sean Taylor
Donte Whitner
Roy Williams
Sean Jones
Kerry Rhodes
Bob Sanders
Chris Hope
Brian Dawkins
John Lynch
Adrian Wilson
Michael Huff

I ask because these are your best safeties in the NFL, at the moment. And honestly? There is only ONE guy on that list I would consider trading a #9 pick for and that is Ed Reed.

And you know what's funny about that? Even Baltimore didn't know they were drafting Ed Reed when they drafted Ed Reed. They got him at pick #24 in the draft. And you know one thing about Ed Reed? He ain't that fast. He barely cracked a 4.57, at 5'11" and 201 pounds.

I think the NFL is going through a bit of a phase right now with fast safeties. Everyone are in love with these super fast safeties, love the idea of guys that have such big range that they can paint that center field. Hey, we fell for it too. We got Jason Allen. You know what the thing about that is?

Forgetting a classic rule of football personnel. The closer you get to the middle of the hash marks, the less important speed is in the priority chain. If you want a rangey centerfielder, you can get one and you don't need to spend a #9 pick. If you want a power packin playmaker at centerfielder, you go find that power packin playmaker, and stop worrying so much about 4.3 speed.

And to me, that power packin playmaker at centerfield has been Reggie Nelson...since halfway into the college season. He's the intimidator, he's the guy that makes all the plays on the ball. I guess it's a bonus that he's got some range on him, but I wouldn't really mind if he ran a 4.5 or so.

So why are we talking about paying a top 10 pick for Landry? Because he ran a 4.3? On the field, you can give me Brandon Merriweather or Reggie Nelson as easily as you give me LaRon Landry. Am I so very positive that Landry's going to be the next Ed Reed and not those guys? Answer is no. So why the top 10 for Landry when you can get the other dudes much later?

Overall, the only time I'd ever suggest the use of a top 15 pick on a safety...would be if the rest of the prospects just pretty much suck.
Old 03-26-2007   #9
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2575 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nelson seems to be more of a centerfielder than Landry and that's what we need from our FS.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #10
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

whoever's available?
Old 03-26-2007   #11
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Landry hands down. He's bigger, just as fast if not faster as shown at the combine, great hitter, he can come into the box and play the run as well as blitz and is very good in coverage. The thing that most people see in Nelson is his risk/reward playing style. He is more aggressive in attacking the ball for picks, but he will also bite on pumpfakes and playaction more often. I would rather the player that has 4 INTs on the season and is only out of position say 8 times in a season then the one who has 7 INTs but gets beat deep 15 times.
Old 03-26-2007   #12
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Landry doesnt play to his timed speed. IMO

Nelson does. IMO most of the people on this board overrate Landry's pass coverage and underrate Nelson against the run and blitzing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #13
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
Landry doesnt play to his timed speed. IMO

Nelson does. IMO most of the people on this board overrate Landry's pass coverage and underrate Nelson against the run and blitzing.
I agree with this 100%.
Old 03-26-2007   #14
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

timed speed doesn't even matter that much with safeties...i've never seen a guy get to the ball as fast in college as sean taylor. runs a 4.5. go figure.
Old 03-26-2007   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like seeing Landry against the run and blitzing... if he is pretty darn good at that, don't you think smith would have him doing that more than CC brown how isn't as good as landry?

and in Nelson's defense, he didn't have a good timing at the combine but ran very well at his pro day..same as landry so he's not any slower (i don't know about their playing time though) see i am unbiased..lol

kast-good list of the safeties and who we'd 'trade for'. It'd be interesting if you did that for other positions like DE, DT, LB, CB..etc.
Old 03-26-2007   #16
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Let the SS and LB's do the blitzing and stop the run. Let the FS cover the top and make plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #17
real

Quote:
Let the SS and LB's do the blitzing and stop the run. Let the FS cover the top and make plays.
Exactly.

I don't want my FS regularly in the box playing the run.

I want my FS to be great in pass coverage.
Old 03-26-2007   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Exactly.

Those are both good points. At this point it seems our CB's and S's do a lot more tackling than they should. But our team is getting better and hopefully that will mean each player can just worry about their position and not make up for other's mistakes all the time. lol
Old 03-26-2007   #19
htownfoozball
Veteran

Landry. Our defense overall sucks, both against the pass and against the run. Landry may not be as good as a roaming centerfielder, but he's still very good in coverage and much better against the run. He's also a better tackler than Nelson. I don't think I've ever seen Nelson actually wrap up a tackle. He always tackles with his shoulder/body/helpmet. While Nelson is an elite centerfielder, he's not an elite overall safety. Landry is the better all around safety (although he might not be elite in any one area) and I think his overall skillset fills more holes in our defense.

However, I have no problem taking either player if we are dead set on taking a safety, because only one of them will be at #10.
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #20
leachmtb
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Exactly.

One of my best friends was the starting SS while at Vanderbilt, and was one of the more athletic guys on the team. But, no one ever really saw how good he was because the FS couldn't really get deep. So, he wouldn't gamble on anything and would oftentimes have to run people down.

I think that Earl probably doesn't look as good right now, because he can't take as many chances with CC not being able to cover behind him. I agree. I think that a good FS will show that Earl is a lot better than he has been playing, and we'll begin to see more of his big hits like against (I think it was the giants, possibly Titans, but not sure). But, I am often wrong. But, IMO, Nelson would make the defense stronger as a whole, because I think he would make Earl better.
leachmtb is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read