Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-26-2007   #1
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.
Default What receiver would you take with your 1st Rd Selection

Ok, if the texans can't get Landry, Hall or Nelson due to trading down and they don't go in the Direction of of DE or DT as well as Offensive line, what receiver which is a very glaring need would you take in the mid 1st round? I like either Dwayne Jarrett, Dwayne Bowe or Robert Meachem.
Old 03-26-2007   #2
real

Default Re: What receiver would you take with your 1st Rd Selection

Out of those guys I'd like Meachem....I think he'd be a good fit for us...

But honestly I'd rather go Chris Houston or even a Justin Blaylock....
Old 03-26-2007   #3
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Out of those guys I'd like Meachem....I think he'd be a good fit for us...

But honestly I'd rather go Chris Houston or even a Justin Blaylock....
Agreed.
Old 03-26-2007   #4
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

None. WR2 is way down on my black hole list....way down.
Old 03-26-2007   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
Ok, if the texans can't get Landry, Hall or Nelson due to trading down and they don't go in the Direction of of DE or DT as well as Offensive line, what receiver which is a very glaring need would you take in the mid 1st round? I like either Dwayne Jarrett, Dwayne Bowe or Robert Meachem.
I like Robert Meachem the best after Calvin Johnson.

However I'd still rather us get more help on the D for our 1st round and probably 3rd too. i think anderson will be okay for next season but not as good as meachem thats for sure.

If our Defense looks a lot better by the 'o8 draft. we got some real good LT's, WR's and RB's that will be there. hopefully we will be picking around middle of the round and can take the bpa from them or D again. Mario Manningham would be real nice, or mario urrutia, limas sweed, desean jackson. I like those 4 better for a 1st rd pick than the ones this year.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #6
AtheGreat
Veteran

did Jarret do something like run a 6.3 at his pro day to kill his stock becuase each mock i see, he seems to be slipping. from top 15 to top half to seeing him make it to the 2nd round. did i miss something that happned?

but, i'd like to see later round WR. chris houston would be lovely.
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #7
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheGreat View Post
did Jarret do something like run a 6.3 at his pro day to kill his stock becuase each mock i see, he seems to be slipping. from top 15 to top half to seeing him make it to the 2nd round. did i miss something that happned?
yeah, people saw through the hype and realized he's not really that good.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2007   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
yeah, people saw through the hype and realized he's not really that good.
LOL. I've just heard the guy isn't a willing blocker. Playmaker yes...but once you tagged like that...coaches and GMs are going to refrain from a guy. Our best posible scenario...Dewayne ends up with Vincent. Those two were tailor made for each other.
Old 03-26-2007   #9
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I'm an LSU fan so I know the most about Dwayne Bowe, so I would be fine with the Titans drafting him because I know he's a good receiver. Meachem, Jarrett, Ginn, and Rice are all good as well, I just haven't watched them as much.
Old 03-26-2007   #10
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
LOL. I've just heard the guy isn't a willing blocker. Playmaker yes...but once you tagged like that...coaches and GMs are going to refrain from a guy. Our best posible scenario...Dewayne ends up with Vincent. Those two were tailor made for each other.
he doesn't block, and he's not really a playmaker. he'll get you a few TD's in the endzone. but that's about it. sloppy routes, very wimpy with defenders, slow of course...not much to like about him. steve smith on the other hand excels in every category jarrett doesn't, and to me is going to be a very good receiver. he has "new england receiver" written all over him, to me.
Old 03-26-2007   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

As I saw the guys analyze the Arkansas - USC film during the combine, specifically the Jarrett - Houston matchup, I realized the guy I would rather have on my team any day of the week is Houston. Meacham is the WR I'd like to see here (but in a trade down scenario - not at 10).

Last edited by aj.; 03-26-2007 at 12:36 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
he doesn't block, and he's not really a playmaker. he'll get you a few TD's in the endzone. but that's about it. sloppy routes, very wimpy with defenders, slow of course...not much to like about him. steve smith on the other hand excels in every category jarrett doesn't, and to me is going to be a very good receiver. he has "new england receiver" written all over him, to me.
I wouldn't mind Steve Smith as an Anothny Gonzales light guy. Again, they may do it and draft a wide reciever at the ten...I wouldn't be jumping up and down about it. I think they have bigger holes in the bottom of our little ship than WR2 though.
Old 03-26-2007   #13
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

yeah, i wouldn't bother with WR in the first unless it's a BPA thing. and with ginn's stock falling, there's really no WR that would be called a BPA pick at 10.
Old 03-26-2007   #14
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Meachem is the guy I'd want. He can stretch the field and would allow AJ a little more room to work. I really am not sure on Jarrett. He ran slow..not a prereq to be good...but he reminds me of Mike Williams..great catches and size in college but might get lost in the pros. Just a guess.
Old 03-26-2007   #15
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

A duo like Andre and Meachem could have the potential to develop into a Harrison+Wayne-like tandem.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
As I saw the guys analyze the Arkansas - USC film during the combine, specifically the Jarrett - Houston matchup, I realized the guy I would rather have on my team any day of the week is Houston. Meacham is the WR I'd like to see here (but in a trade down scenario - not at 10).
With no other DEs on the board, I just took him for denver in the mock on the other thread. I like Hall also. I just think Houston has a bigger up side. Just me.They're both great players which hit a need of us.
Old 03-26-2007   #17
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

There a lot of guys on this MB who are saying defense first, or trade down if we're going to take a WR, and they may not be wrong in their thinking, but I'd like to tell all of you not to be surprised if Kubiak focuses on the offense in order to set Schaub up with the best chance for success.
We've all pretty much agree that the Schaub trade is a gamble, and you know Kubiak and Smith realize this.
The best way to mitigate the risk associated with this trade is to put the best supporting cast possible around your new QB.
If Kubiak and Smith have, indeed, staked their futures to this trade, they must certainly do all they can to make it work.

With that in mind, I'm saying Meachem is the second best WR in this draft. If he's there at 10, and you want him, you don't pull a Casserly and try to trade down and get him. You just take him at 10, and move on.
You can try to trade down, and maximize your picks, and whatever strategy you like, just be aware that that's the kind of strategy that can get you a Travis Johnson...

This same line of thought could also apply to OL, if you think one will be there who is worth it, but that guy will likely be Levi Brown, and between the two of them at #10, I like Meachem.

BTW, I'm not saying I want a WR at #10, I'm just saying I think Kubiak and Smith have a reason to go that route.

Last edited by michaelm; 03-26-2007 at 01:25 PM.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #18
AtheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
A duo like Andre and Meachem could have the potential to develop into a Harrison+Wayne-like tandem.
vols fan here and gettin mecheam wouldn't make me mad. i'd still love to get NE's 2 picks and get mecheam and houston.
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #19
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Robert Meacham. I can't figure out why some of you think Meacham would be a reach at 10.

I think all this Calvin Johnson stuff has him underrated.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #20
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Robert Meacham. I can't figure out why some of you think Meacham would be a reach at 10.

I think all this Calvin Johnson stuff has him underrated.
because he's not in the same class as the 15-20 guys ahead of him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read