Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-26-2007   #1
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP
Default ESPN Poll: Is Schaub The Right Man For The Texans?

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sports...ion20959=85506
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #2
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: ESPN Poll: Is Schaub The Right Man For The Texans?

interesting results to say the least
Old 03-26-2007   #3
Rightnow
Veteran

better link to take the poll
Old 03-26-2007   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

thanks for the heads up, i voted!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

60% think that the Texans got the better of the deal.

We must have screwed up then.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Sportsnation decides Houston got the better deal in the Shaub trade

Check out this poll by ESPN. Some interesting answers:
Carr was not most to blame for our failures
AND
Houston got the better end of the deal

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sports...?event_id=2834

Take the poll!
Old 03-28-2007   #7
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon
Default Re: Sportsnation decides Houston got the better deal in the Shaub trade

i think this poll was posted before.
Old 03-28-2007   #8
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=37457
Old 03-28-2007   #9
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow 92 % believes DC wasn't the main problem. Who 'd of thunk it ?
Old 03-28-2007   #10
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

4,3,2,1....move.
Old 03-28-2007   #11
Slamee101
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Would most of the Texans fans disagree?

I only say that b/c ESPN has strong influence over the casual fan...and I think perception and reality aren't all that close often times with regards to matters regarding teams that someone doesn't follow. I know I'd always heard that the problem in Houston was the O-line...however in talking to Texans fans...a ton of them seem to argue that Carr was the cause of many of those sacks. However, that 92% just goes off of what they heard more than anything. I can honestly say I was one of them as the last Texans game I actually saw was in '04.
Slamee101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamee101 View Post

I only say that b/c ESPN has strong influence over the casual fan...and I think perception and reality aren't all that close often times with regards to matters regarding teams that someone doesn't follow. I know I'd always heard that the problem in Houston was the O-line...however in talking to Texans fans...a ton of them seem to argue that Carr was the cause of many of those sacks. However, that 92% just goes off of what they heard more than anything. I can honestly say I was one of them as the last Texans game I actually saw was in '04.

I think most casual fans think the o-line is/has been the biggest problem. Some serious hardcore fans think that the o-line is/has been the biggest problem.

We gave up 43 sacks last year. That's not great but that's nowhere near the worst in the league (the Raiders with 70). Lots of teams had that many or more sacks and they still had a passing game. The last half of the season, we had 2 TD passes.... and we were still able to go 4-4 in that stretch.

If you watch our games, you'll see times where the o-line breaks down. You'll see some times when the RB messes up on an assignment. But Carr reminds me a lot of Rob Johnson. A guy that's supposed to be mobile and athletic but gets sacked a lot because he doesn't have good pocket presence and he's not quick getting the ball out. And when he DOES force the ball out quickly, he makes bad decisions on where to put it.

Carr isn't our only problem but he was a big part of it.
Old 03-28-2007   #13
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Maybe the general NFL fan base knows more about Capers/Casserly than I thought!

While Carr never developed the way I hoped he would, I lay more blame on the former administration for making way too many bad decisions. One that comes to mind is letting Sharper and Glenn get away with the idea P-Buc could replace them. Going further back, I never understood us getting a starting left tackle that had a questionable medical status.

Ahh, well... that was then, this is now, and so far I like the way the new administration is running things.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #14
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
2) Is Carr most to blame for the Texans' struggles?

92.1% No

7.9% Yes

3) Does Matt Schaub give the Texans a better chance to win?

61.9% Yes

38.1% No
Doesn't this kind of contradict itself?
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #15
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 76 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

No, that doesn't contradict itself because Schaub hasn't spent 4 years on his back and acquired the fear factor of being smashed under pressure that David has had to indure. He might not panic quite so quickly because he hasn't lived that nightmare of abuse. That's why we might have a better chance with him.
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #16
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Texan View Post
Maybe the general NFL fan base knows more about Capers/Casserly than I thought!

While Carr never developed the way I hoped he would, I lay more blame on the former administration for making way too many bad decisions. One that comes to mind is letting Sharper and Glenn get away with the idea P-Buc could replace them. Going further back, I never understood us getting a starting left tackle that had a questionable medical status.

Ahh, well... that was then, this is now, and so far I like the way the new administration is running things.
Agreed... you have to read the way the question was written...

Part 1 "Was Carr most to blame".... it does not excuse his poor play....
Part 2 "for the Texans' struggles"... so the definition of Texans' struggles is open to interpretation by the group as a whole.

For Part 2, many people probably think that the running game was a problem because of no DD and no Reggie Bush, and that isn't Carr's fault.
Also for Part 2, the Texans struggles could have been a bad secondary, no legit #2 receiver for a while, no Oline, coachign changes, bad trades, etc.

How do you define Texans' struggles, which in the grand scheme of things, ought to be "Losing". There are many reasons why teams lose and that is open to interpretation (building from the o/d lines out, poor coaching/leadership, bad drafts, etc.)

It isn't surprising to see 92% say Carr was "most" to blame... he deserves his share and then some, but not most.
Old 03-28-2007   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamee101 View Post
I would agree, that none of it is his fault. He got the crap beat out of him because of our ineptitude to manage his career.

The only problem I've had with David Carr, was that for years, he was being crammed down our throat as our best chance to win, & I don't believe he has been, ever.

I was fine with the role he was in last year, and I would have been fine if Kubiak decided to continue on, with David in that role. Our developing QB, regardless of his time in the league.

I was actually shocked by the events of this off-season.

I do believe that this team stands a better chance of winning with a new QB. Not that David caused us to lose a lot of games, but because we weren't very competitive with David behind center.

He's been a rookie QB for 5 years(not his fault), and I'm happy that our new QB is not a rookie. I understand there will still be some developing going on, but nothing like we've seen.
Old 03-28-2007   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Doesn't this kind of contradict itself?
No. I don't even consider Carr to be the most to blame for our problems. I put that squarely on Casserly and Capers but most fans were probably thinking of our o-line.

The second answer there is just saying that most people think that Schaub is a better QB than Carr. Even though Carr isn't most to blame, we're still upgrading the QB position and that gives us a better chance to win.
Old 03-28-2007   #19
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

In related news, today I asked a random Raider fan at a bookstore who he wants them to draft and he said, "I want us to sign David Carr and draft the kid out of Georgia Tech."

Thought that was interesting.
Old 03-28-2007   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan View Post
In related news, today I asked a random Raider fan at a bookstore who he wants them to draft and he said, "I want us to sign David Carr and draft the kid out of Georgia Tech."

Thought that was interesting.
I'm not going to be surprised if it happens that way.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read