Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-26-2007   #1
Rightnow
Veteran

Default R.J. - Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith are putting their careers on the line for this guy.

From the Chronicle:

All that stuff happened when Charley Casserly was in the building. Since he left, there hasn't been a single bone-headed move. Go ahead and name one. You can't do it because there hasn't been one.

Sure, everyone KNOWS Matt Schaub is a bad move. The thing is, they don't know. They can't know. He's a risk, a huge risk. Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith are putting their careers on the line for this guy. On the other hand, I'd rather have a front office that took some chances rather than sitting on its hands and saying, "Oh my, John B. and the Sports Reporters might not like what we're doing."

-------------------------------------------------------------

I agree mostly. I think Kubiak and Smith put their careers on the line at last years draft. The decision to take Mario may be the defining point of their careers. I don't agree with Justice too much, but he is speaking the truth. The VY/Bush/Carr/Mario/Schuab drama will make or break this team for the years.
Old 03-26-2007   #2
Bongo59
Veteran

Default Re: R.J. - Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith are putting their careers on the line for this

Smith and Kubiak decided to pay Carr 8 mil last yr for one yr. That wa sa collassal mistake considering they just outright cut him last week. The FO in Hou has been in deep freeze for much of the texans exisstance.

From the NY Daily news yesterday:

CARR TALK: Just one year ago, the Texans paid QB David Carr an $8 million option bonus to buy three more years on his contract rather than draft hometown hero Vince Young. After trading for Atlanta backup Matt Schaub last week, the Texans cut Carr. It's surprising they didn't hold onto him at least through this week and try to trade him at the league meetings. Where will Carr wind up? The Dolphins, who have been focused on trading for K.C.'s Trent Green, could pursue Carr instead. So could Kansas City. New Raiders coach Lane Kiffin was a graduate assistant at Fresno State in 1997-98 when Carr was there. If the Raiders sign Carr, they would dump plans to draft LSU QB JaMarcus Russell with the first pick and likely take Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson, who is the best player in the draft. ... Giants co-owner John Mara said last night he's optimistic league owners will vote today to approve an increase in the debt each club is allowed to carry. That would remove another hurdle in the process for the construction of the new stadium in the Meadowlands the Giants and Jets are building together
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #3
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: R.J. - Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith are putting their careers on the line for this

Smith and Kubiak didn't decide to pay Carr an 8 million dollar bonus and an extension. That was Casserly still at that point.

Kubiak decided that with a QB already making millions on the roster that we needed to look at another position. Same goes for the RB we had making millions who was coming back healthy according to doctors.

It didn't work out. Don't blame Kubiak and Smith for last offseason...they just inherited it and have attempted to make it work out. After the pickups throughout the season last year, I tend to think that Smith knows what the hell he's doing and deserves the benefit of the doubt right now.
Old 03-26-2007   #4
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well what happened last year was that kubiak made the decision that starting his head coaching career would be easier if he agreed to try and get carr playing up to par...casserly wasn't about to let carr go and wasn't about to draft vy

now that casserly is gone kubiak and smith made a similiar decision...they didn't want to go with a rookie QB so they are essentially risking they jobs here in houston on matt schaub

if schaub flubs out one or probably both of them will be out of a job...however i think it's more likely they will succeed...everything i've seen from these two guys have lead me to believe they know what they are doing and will make more right decisions than bad ones...but make no mistake their jobs are on the line with matt schaub
Old 03-26-2007   #5
Bongo59
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
Smith and Kubiak didn't decide to pay Carr an 8 million dollar bonus and an extension. That was Casserly still at that point.

Kubiak decided that with a QB already making millions on the roster that we needed to look at another position. Same goes for the RB we had making millions who was coming back healthy according to doctors.

It didn't work out. Don't blame Kubiak and Smith for last offseason...they just inherited it and have attempted to make it work out. After the pickups throughout the season last year, I tend to think that Smith knows what the hell he's doing and deserves the benefit of the doubt right now.
yes he did.........Kubiak told Bob McNair after watching Carr on tape that he could reclaim him.............so they paid him............that turns out to be a collassal mistake financially but the biggest reason it was terrible is the Texans could have had any QB they wanted last yr if Kubiak does not make that mistake............you guys love to revise history but the 2006 draft will be the inflection point for your next decade.............now yopu make a trade to right the wrong for a guy who is not even close to as good as any of the 3 QB you could have had and your paying him 8 mil a yr............you may feel comfortable.............but i think you just may have bought the cellar spot for the next decade............I bet Kubiak is done with in 2 yrs in houston
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #6
Historyhorn
Veteran

Rep Power: 39 Historyhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Come on! Everyone even back then knew what was going on with Cass. He was being held around as a stool pigeon until after the draft so that folks like you would believe that he made the call on giving that extension to Carr as well as signing off on not drafting Reggie or Vince.

That decision was made, but it damn sure wasn't made by Cass. McNair and Kubiak bear the responsibility for that one. Decisions made leading up to the end of last year's season can be put on Cass & Capers. From that point forward it was McNair and Kubiak all the way.

I do however believe that Smith & Kubiak are putting their career as Texans on the line with this move to get Schaub. I don't really see this trade as having a whole lot of room in the middle to say it was just OK. Either Schaub comes in and performs at a pro-bowl level and no-one gives a second thought to what amounts to a mid-first round pick we gave up in compensation. Or he performs poorly or even middling.....then everyone takes a look at the two second rounders we give up and see two should be starters on a team that has more holes than the Lucitania.

Time and the next season or two will certainly be telling.

Go Texans
Historyhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #7
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo59 View Post
yes he did.........Kubiak told Bob McNair after watching Carr on tape that he could reclaim him.............so they paid him............that turns out to be a collassal mistake financially but the biggest reason it was terrible is the Texans could have had any QB they wanted last yr if Kubiak does not make that mistake............you guys love to revise history but the 2006 draft will be the inflection point for your next decade.............now yopu make a trade to right the wrong for a guy who is not even close to as good as any of the 3 QB you could have had and your paying him 8 mil a yr............you may feel comfortable.............but i think you just may have bought the cellar spot for the next decade............I bet Kubiak is done with in 2 yrs in houston
And from watching the tape, perhaps Kubiak didn't know that Carr was unable to take instruction, was punchdrunk and happyfooted with no hope of rehabilitation. I remember the weeks before that extension was signed and there weren't a ton of people out there who thought we were going to let him go, Kubiak or not.

Who goes into a job interview and says "No...I can't accomplish anything with this guy. I won't work with him."???

Nobody who wants a job.
Old 03-26-2007   #8
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Quote:
And YOU said Kubiak AND Smith extended Carr. Smith wasn't hired until June of 2006, so don't talk about me not knowing what's up.
Old 03-26-2007   #9
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

We are never going to really move on are we?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And YOU said Kubiak AND Smith extended Carr. Smith wasn't hired until June of 2006, so don't talk about me not knowing what's up.
Exactly.
Smith was still with the Broncos when the Texans with Kubiak aboard made
the decisions to retain Carr, pass on VY, and draft Mario.
Wouldn't you give anything to have Smith reveal what his former employers
top 10 Board was for the 2006 Draft ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ain't nuttin but a troll thing. Quack! Quack!
Old 03-26-2007   #12
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu

You guys forget Bongo bailed on Houston the day the oil'dikes left town.
Someone needed to pick the fleas out of Buds possum hair and bash Houston for every mis step.
Old 03-26-2007   #13
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wrong..he was given no choice and told the job included Carr. The decision had been made.

Just now reading down and seeing everyone already jumped on this..excuse me.
Old 03-26-2007   #14
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Apparently not!

If it's gonna make some of you feel better to still argue who it was that made the decision to extend Carr . . . why are you insistant on leaving McNair out of the picture?

I mean, he was the one that supposedly admitted that it was a mistake last week. Was John Lopez correct in his article on Sunday that McNair's still the Teflon man?

Apparently so. (sigh)
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #15
Rightnow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Many Texans fans won't be moving on until we are at least competitive against VY and the Titans and won't be over it until the Texans beat VY in a playoff game. If VY ends up being the pro-bowl/superstar that it looks like he will be, while the Texans consistently languish in 3rd and 4th place in the division, Texans fans won't be over it until VY retires in 10-15 years.

Sorry, but it is the truth. I'm not a VY fan, but we passed up three franchise QB's last year and now have Shaub doesn't sit very well with me.

I just have a general bad feeling that we overpaid for Shaub and might be a mediocre team for another 3-5 years. Sigh...

Gotta keep hope alive... Go Texans!
Old 03-26-2007   #16
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightnow View Post
Many Texans fans won't be moving on until we are at least competitive against VY and the Titans and won't be over it until the Texans beat VY in a playoff game. If VY ends up being the pro-bowl/superstar that it looks like he will be, while the Texans consistently languish in 3rd and 4th place in the division, Texans fans won't be over it until VY retires in 10-15 years.

Sorry, but it is the truth. I'm not a VY fan, but we passed up three franchise QB's last year and now have Shaub doesn't sit very well with me.

I just have a general bad feeling that we overpaid for Shaub and might be a mediocre team for another 3-5 years. Sigh...

This needs to be edited:

"Many ( University of Texas ) fans won't be moving on until we are at least competitive against VY and the Titans and won't be over it until the Texans beat VY in a playoff game"
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #17
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Are you one of those that was willing to give Carr 5+ years but don't want to give anybody else the time of day?

Here's the deal-write it down-Kubiak will be here long after Carr is gone, which may be sooner than later.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #18
tsip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightnow View Post

...you gave Carr 5 yrs-can't you give Matt a couple games before you start the 'dooming...?
Old 03-26-2007   #19
Jwwillis
All Pro

I think now is the time to more easily see who the TRUE Texan fans are. Some of the garbage coming from these trolls is comical. EVERYONE thinks they speak for most or all Texans fans with their opinion, including John Lopez, example: "But let's be honest here. McNair has lost fans' trust."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...z/4659162.html

I mean how arrogant is that to think with that statment he speaks for all fans. He certainly doesn't speak for me. Perhaps McNair has lost YOUR trust Lopez but not mine.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #20
tsip
Hall of Fame

"If Carr is gone, and that is a big if, we should get a vet through free agency. There just isn't anyone this year coming out that is that fantastic. IMO" Right Now

They did what you suggested-Carr is gone, get over it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read