Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2007   #1
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Captains- Houston Texans

I was wondering who our captains were and what exactly they do. Do they just go to mid field for the coin toss? I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out...thanks.

How many captains do we normally have 3? and who are they?

Are they chosen by the coaches...or the players?

Who would you want to be our captains...

I was thinking Matt Schaub, Demeco Ryans, and someone else...
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #2
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Captains- Houston Texans

Andre?
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #3
htownfoozball
Veteran

demeco?
mckinney? not cuz he's good, but because he's the longest tenured texan
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #4
Stros5Texans80
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Stros5Texans80 Send a message via Yahoo to Stros5Texans80

Andre Johnson - Offense
DeMeco Ryans - without a doubt Defense.
Stros5Texans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #5
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

I think you have to give the mantle to AJ if he wants it. He may want to give it to Schaub to make the statement.
On defense it has to be DeMeco.
Old 03-26-2007   #6
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Andre is a kind of quiet guy. Proves it on the field but I don't know if I would choose him.

I would take...Pitts and DeMeco

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #7
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

DeMeco
Dunta
Andre

Duh?
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2007   #8
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 188 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfoozball View Post
demeco?
mckinney? not cuz he's good, but because he's the longest tenured texan
Pitts over Mckinney. He's our longest tenured starter. Also he's huge and much more imposing.
I'd go with DeMeco for defense and Evans for special teams.
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

so who are they now?

and is it 1 O, 1 D, and 1 ST ??
Old 03-26-2007   #10
AggieTexanFan
Rookie

Didn't Kubes say last year that they switched the system and started picking new team captains every week based off of onfield performance.

1 on offense, defense and special teams
Old 03-26-2007   #11
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19488 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I was wondering who our captains were and what exactly they do. Do they just go to mid field for the coin toss? I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out...thanks.

How many captains do we normally have 3? and who are they?

Are they chosen by the coaches...or the players?
First, I think the "captains" are mainly ceremonial. I know they can change from game to game. I'm pretty sure there are no set rules as to how they're chosen. I know I have heard of players getting to vote, and I know I've heard of coaches giving input (or choosing), so I don't think there's any real "rule." I don't know how it works for the Texans. As for number, I've certainly seen more than 3. I know at least some teams have 2 offense, 2 defense, and 1 special teams (but don't know if any of that is fixed - I think I've seen fewer than that come out for a coin toss.

I don't know all the rules, but besides the coin toss, I think there are some other obscure rules where the captains come into play. For example, if a player changes eligibility (like a tackle becoming an eligible receiver), I believe the defensive captain is notified. Not sure how it is handled when a "captain" is not even on the field at the time. Also, I think if there's a choice to be made (e.g. for a penalty), I think it's a captain who can give the word (but they always get it from the coach in any case). There might even be something about time-outs (though I'm less certain about that).

I'm sure it's in the real NFL rule book, but I don't have access to that.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #12
whiskeyrbl

Usually the captains are the players that are more or less your leaders on the team. The ones that everyone respects and listens to. Now last year Kubiak had someone different for every game.
Old 03-26-2007   #13
joe592
waterboy

Waaaaaaay back when I was young and spry, the captains of the football team were picked coming out of spring ball/two-a-days. The team voted on these players. Usually, leaders of a team are determined in spring ball, so the captains were picked accordingly. This continued in college.
I also noticed that we had different captains very week last year, so obviously they do it a little different in the pros. I think last year was similiar to when Glanville would hand out the chrome hard hat to the special teams MVP every week; it was picked weekly by the previous games' performance.
Which reminds me....how do you not miss Jerry Glanville and the House of Pain??!!
joe592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #14
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Im pretty sure last years captains were

AJ - offense
Weaver - defense
Evans - special teams
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the info and help guys! I kind of like the idea of picking new guys each week based on the previous weeks game play and even practice. I'd like to see the players choose who their captains would be.
Old 03-26-2007   #16
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Thanks for the info and help guys! I kind of like the idea of picking new guys each week based on the previous weeks game play and even practice. I'd like to see the players choose who their captains would be.
I would say based on leadership:

Schaub (supposedly)
DeMeco
Dunta

AJ is a leader by example, but as far as getting people fired up, I've heard it's these three.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #17
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 35326 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieTexanFan View Post
Didn't Kubes say last year that they switched the system and started picking new team captains every week based off of onfield performance.

1 on offense, defense and special teams
I seem to recall that Kubiak saying each week the players voted for the captains for that Sunday's game. Last year, they seemed to change each week.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read