Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2007   #1
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame
 
Imatexanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ft.Knox, KY
Posts: 918
Rep Power: 1228 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

First let me go through how a trade starts in the NFL.

Okay look every GM has every other GM's direct line phone number. They also have cell phone numbers, but nobody uses those initially, because it's considered rude. You call back someone who called your office, and if his assistant tells you to call the cell you do.

Talks usually start like this: "Mike, I'm calling to add my name to the list."

"Which list?"

"Folks wanting to know what you want for Carr. We might have some interest."

"I wondered if I was gonna hear from you. What are you thinking?"

And here we have the first major point in the discussion. He who admits first, loses. The calling GM will ALWAYS say something like, "hadn't really thought much more than that we're interested. What kind of offers are you taking seriously?"

"Hadn't really gotten any we're taking seriously or he'd be gone Jim. You know me!"

They'll BS like this until one guy says something. Usually it's the caller who has to fess up. And, they ALWAYS say "I heard you got offered a third and an OL for him. I might could work something like that," whether he heard that or not.

Anyway, that's the way a trade typically goes down, or at least starts, as ridiculous as it sounds. Just like hustin' for you fella's that know what I mean.

So, I have heard from an irrefutable source that those conversations took place with the following teams:

Detroit
Miami (not sure why)
Oakland
Kansas City (also not sure why)
Seattle (makes me wonder about Hasselbeck's shoulder).

I don't know what they all talked about (other than Detroit), or who else may have called, but that's at least a partial list.

So to get to my point............ look there had to be SOMEONE who was willing to restructure David's contract, sign him to a 5 year deal and rework the final year of our contract, and give us SOMETHING for him, even if it was a spare part OL or a 5th round draft pick.

I don't care what Richard Justice says, we got nothing when we could have had something.

The WORST part of this whole deal is that Kubiak came in here and RE-annointed David as THE GUY, made sure he got a fatass bonus that is going to kick our asses this year when Carr isn't even here, and then a mere 16 games later decides to mortgage the future for someone else and can Carr.

I seriously don't get it. One season where the guy completes 68+% of his passes, has nearly his highest QB rating ever, and does it all with NO RB and NO OL, and that's a reason 365 days after giving him 8 million bucks to fire him?

You know all for the Texans but either Kubiak/Smith are IDIOTS for cutting the guy, or they were IDIOTS for giving him all that money last year. One way or the other they have made MONUMENTAL F-ups in a very short period of time with this organization. Its going to take alot for me to get the respect that I had for Kubes when he was hired.

Passing on Young/Leinart/Cutler and signing David to an ENORMOUS tender, and then outright cutting him without getting anything is INSANE. Which we will never get off that subject. On top of that, they took a career backup 3rd round draft choice who happens to have a little buzz about him, and threw him into the same crappy position Carr was in; No OL, no RB, one WR, and a porous defense that can't keep you off the field.

It does seem to be very confusing though. Perhaps Big Daddy Bob was just doing Carr yet another favor. Its just like you want to......what now?!
__________________
☻/ Here's 2 u & here's 2 me & I
/▌hope we never disagree. But
/ \ if that should eva be, 2 HELL with u, here's 2 ME!!
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #2
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame
 
ledzeppelin229's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Spring / San Marcos, TX
Age: 29
Posts: 6,829
Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
First let me go through how a trade starts in the NFL.

Okay look every GM has every other GM's direct line phone number. They also have cell phone numbers, but nobody uses those initially, because it's considered rude. You call back someone who called your office, and if his assistant tells you to call the cell you do.

Talks usually start like this: "Mike, I'm calling to add my name to the list."

"Which list?"

"Folks wanting to know what you want for Carr. We might have some interest."

"I wondered if I was gonna hear from you. What are you thinking?"

And here we have the first major point in the discussion. He who admits first, loses. The calling GM will ALWAYS say something like, "hadn't really thought much more than that we're interested. What kind of offers are you taking seriously?"

"Hadn't really gotten any we're taking seriously or he'd be gone Jim. You know me!"

They'll BS like this until one guy says something. Usually it's the caller who has to fess up. And, they ALWAYS say "I heard you got offered a third and an OL for him. I might could work something like that," whether he heard that or not.

Anyway, that's the way a trade typically goes down, or at least starts, as ridiculous as it sounds. Just like hustin' for you fella's that know what I mean.

So, I have heard from an irrefutable source that those conversations took place with the following teams:

Detroit
Miami (not sure why)
Oakland
Kansas City (also not sure why)
Seattle (makes me wonder about Hasselbeck's shoulder).

I don't know what they all talked about (other than Detroit), or who else may have called, but that's at least a partial list.

So to get to my point............ look there had to be SOMEONE who was willing to restructure David's contract, sign him to a 5 year deal and rework the final year of our contract, and give us SOMETHING for him, even if it was a spare part OL or a 5th round draft pick.

I don't care what Richard Justice says, we got nothing when we could have had something.

The WORST part of this whole deal is that Kubiak came in here and RE-annointed David as THE GUY, made sure he got a fatass bonus that is going to kick our asses this year when Carr isn't even here, and then a mere 16 games later decides to mortgage the future for someone else and can Carr.

I seriously don't get it. One season where the guy completes 68+% of his passes, has nearly his highest QB rating ever, and does it all with NO RB and NO OL, and that's a reason 365 days after giving him 8 million bucks to fire him?

You know all for the Texans but either Kubiak/Smith are IDIOTS for cutting the guy, or they were IDIOTS for giving him all that money last year. One way or the other they have made MONUMENTAL F-ups in a very short period of time with this organization. Its going to take alot for me to get the respect that I had for Kubes when he was hired.

Passing on Young/Leinart/Cutler and signing David to an ENORMOUS tender, and then outright cutting him without getting anything is INSANE. Which we will never get off that subject. On top of that, they took a career backup 3rd round draft choice who happens to have a little buzz about him, and threw him into the same crappy position Carr was in; No OL, no RB, one WR, and a porous defense that can't keep you off the field.

It does seem to be very confusing though. Perhaps Big Daddy Bob was just doing Carr yet another favor. Its just like you want to......what now?!
Could be possible that DC didn't want to go to those places and therefore wouldn't restructure his contract. He really had nothing to gain by being traded somewhere...once he was released he could negotiate with anyone he wanted.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn
godzmn young fomkss are slow. they can all kissmy ass.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #3
Tulip
Hall of Fame
 
Tulip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Age: 39
Posts: 1,864
Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

You are not sure why Detroit or Miami would have contacted the Texans about Carr? Really?

IMO, the pick had to be high enough to justify taking the additional $2 million cap hit for trading Carr rather than cutting him.

If Carr didn't like a team, he could just refuse to restructure his contract.

Lots of things could have have factored into a team's interest not resulting in a trade. It's not odd that Carr had to be cut in the end.
__________________
Addition by subtraction
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #4
ArlingtonTexan
Moderator
 
ArlingtonTexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 47
Posts: 6,082
Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
If Carr didn't like a team, he could just refuse to restructure his contract.
If Carr refused to restructure his contract, it did not matter if some team offer 1st round choices for the next 5 years.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #5
texaslifter
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 178
Rep Power: 9 texaslifter is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
First let me go through how a trade starts in the NFL.

Okay look every GM has every other GM's direct line phone number. They also have cell phone numbers, but nobody uses those initially, because it's considered rude. You call back someone who called your office, and if his assistant tells you to call the cell you do.

Talks usually start like this: "Mike, I'm calling to add my name to the list."

"Which list?"

"Folks wanting to know what you want for Carr. We might have some interest."

"I wondered if I was gonna hear from you. What are you thinking?"

And here we have the first major point in the discussion. He who admits first, loses. The calling GM will ALWAYS say something like, "hadn't really thought much more than that we're interested. What kind of offers are you taking seriously?"

"Hadn't really gotten any we're taking seriously or he'd be gone Jim. You know me!"

They'll BS like this until one guy says something. Usually it's the caller who has to fess up. And, they ALWAYS say "I heard you got offered a third and an OL for him. I might could work something like that," whether he heard that or not.

Anyway, that's the way a trade typically goes down, or at least starts, as ridiculous as it sounds. Just like hustin' for you fella's that know what I mean.

So, I have heard from an irrefutable source that those conversations took place with the following teams:

Detroit
Miami (not sure why)
Oakland
Kansas City (also not sure why)
Seattle (makes me wonder about Hasselbeck's shoulder).

I don't know what they all talked about (other than Detroit), or who else may have called, but that's at least a partial list.

I.

So to get to my point............ look there had to be SOMEONE who was willing to restructure David's contract, sign him to a 5 year deal and rework the final year of our contract, and give us SOMETHING for him, even if it was a spare part OL or a 5th round draft pick.

I don't care what Richard Justice says, we got nothing when we could have had something.

The WORST part of this whole deal is that Kubiak came in here and RE-annointed David as THE GUY, made sure he got a fatass bonus that is going to kick our asses this year when Carr isn't even here, and then a mere 16 games later decides to mortgage the future for someone else and can Carr.

II.


I seriously don't get it. One season where the guy completes 68+% of his passes, has nearly his highest QB rating ever, and does it all with NO RB and NO OL, and that's a reason 365 days after giving him 8 million bucks to fire him?

You know all for the Texans but either Kubiak/Smith are IDIOTS for cutting the guy, or they were IDIOTS for giving him all that money last year. One way or the other they have made MONUMENTAL F-ups in a very short period of time with this organization. Its going to take alot for me to get the respect that I had for Kubes when he was hired.

Passing on Young/Leinart/Cutler and signing David to an ENORMOUS tender, and then outright cutting him without getting anything is INSANE. Which we will never get off that subject. On top of that, they took a career backup 3rd round draft choice who happens to have a little buzz about him, and threw him into the same crappy position Carr was in; No OL, no RB, one WR, and a porous defense that can't keep you off the field.

It does seem to be very confusing though. Perhaps Big Daddy Bob was just doing Carr yet another favor. Its just like you want to......what now?!
I.

It's been stated a hundred times on this board, on other boards, espn, the chronicle, etc. Its not just the other teams that would have to restructure the contract, Carr would have had to agree. The fact that we released him instead of trading him leads me to believe he was being uncooperative with this. Its just common sense, Kubiak and Smith aren't in the positions they are because they are dumber than fans posting on a message board.

II.

Bringing up David Carr's passer rating as evidence for him showing improvement is just ignorant to what actually happened. Passer rating does not account for fumbled snaps, dump off passes, etc. I'm sure there are a hundred people here who can explain better than I, but the general point is that the dump off passes artificially inflated his completion % as well as his passer rating. His quality of play was not nearly as good as the numbers suggest.
texaslifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #6
MATRIX
Veteran
 
MATRIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 176
Rep Power: 9 MATRIX is a team player
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

I already said this before.

I talked to someone who works with a Texans play as an agent.

Carr himself had teams interested...but wouldn't come off his current deal. So, they all backed off. And they were smart to do so, now he has no deal and got some money. Now they can sign him as I said before for say 3M total, 1M for a base, 1M if he plays 50-75% of the games and the last 1M if he plays well.

We had no choice seeing we didn't want to pay him the full price this year if he was going to ride the bench behind Schaub. The only thing I have wonderered about the whole deal is 3 things.

1-Was Kubes just extending Carr's deal to get the job, or did he feel hewas worth it?

2- With the thread starters points...no OL, no RB. Could/would Carr of played better this year including making more than 3-7yd throws. With ourFA OL guys filling in if needed and with experience. And with Dayne back and Green onboard. Guess we will never know.

3- Was the Sage talk in reality BS of him starting to wake Carr up? As we can see now...they NEVER planned to start Sage.
MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #7
keyser
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,302
Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslifter View Post
It's been stated a hundred times on this board, on other boards, espn, the chronicle, etc. Its not just the other teams that would have to restructure the contract, Carr would have had to agree. The fact that we released him instead of trading him leads me to believe he was being uncooperative with this. Its just common sense, Kubiak and Smith aren't in the positions they are because they are dumber than fans posting on a message board.
Of course Carr would have to agree - he'll have to agree to a contract wherever he signs next. In effect, though, he could still choose the team he wanted to go to as much as he'll be able to as a free agent.

The fact that Carr was just outright released probably means one of:
a) like you said, Carr was being uncooperative.
b) McNair was doing him a favor.
c) the Texans FO messed up by thinking they had a trade in place that then evaporated once they signed Schaub, or otherwise messing up on their options.
d) the Texans decided they needed the cap space sooner than they could afford to wait (I don't think this is the case, though, and it's easy enough for someone to check.).

My personal guess is that b is the main reason, but there's probably some combination of the first 3.

If (a) was the only reason, the Texans could have just held onto him for a while - he might have eventually changed his mind, as his value would tend to drop after the draft. That is, if the Texans were willing to play hardball, they probably could have gotten _something_ for Carr. But, even though it might not be the main reason, (a) must have had something to do with it - it makes no sense that he'd be released for no team benefit unless that's what he wanted.

It doesn't make sense that (c) is the main reason - that would be pure incompetence. Like you said, Smith didn't get where he is for no reason. But, if there's any truth to any teams showing interest, the Texans did mishandle it to a degree - they end up with nothing when they could have had something. There were reports that the Texans were initially asking for too much from other teams.

I think it comes down to (b). Carr had some resistance to the trade, and the team didn't manage to get anything in place by the time of the Schaub deal. And so, McNair chose to let Carr have what he wanted, rather than try to squeeze something out of the situation.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2007   #8
MojoX
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 386
Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Of course Carr would have to agree - he'll have to agree to a contract wherever he signs next. In effect, though, he could still choose the team he wanted to go to as much as he'll be able to as a free agent.

The fact that Carr was just outright released probably means one of:
a) like you said, Carr was being uncooperative.
b) McNair was doing him a favor.
c) the Texans FO messed up by thinking they had a trade in place that then evaporated once they signed Schaub, or otherwise messing up on their options.
d) the Texans decided they needed the cap space sooner than they could afford to wait (I don't think this is the case, though, and it's easy enough for someone to check.).

My personal guess is that b is the main reason, but there's probably some combination of the first 3.

If (a) was the only reason, the Texans could have just held onto him for a while - he might have eventually changed his mind, as his value would tend to drop after the draft. That is, if the Texans were willing to play hardball, they probably could have gotten _something_ for Carr. But, even though it might not be the main reason, (a) must have had something to do with it - it makes no sense that he'd be released for no team benefit unless that's what he wanted.

It doesn't make sense that (c) is the main reason - that would be pure incompetence. Like you said, Smith didn't get where he is for no reason. But, if there's any truth to any teams showing interest, the Texans did mishandle it to a degree - they end up with nothing when they could have had something. There were reports that the Texans were initially asking for too much from other teams.

I think it comes down to (b). Carr had some resistance to the trade, and the team didn't manage to get anything in place by the time of the Schaub deal. And so, McNair chose to let Carr have what he wanted, rather than try to squeeze something out of the situation.
Well, Carr's brother, Hulk75, posted that there was no way Carr was gonna renegotiate his deal. Hulk75 said that the Texans were asking for too much, but he also said what sums up to that Carr wasn't going to cooperate with the Texans. Carr really was in the driver's seat on this. If the Texans wanted to play hardball, Carr could have played harder ball. The Texans, thanks to past bad contracts, were/are in salary cap hell. This gave Carr leverage, as the team would have been hamstrung to make other moves if they continued to incur Carr's cap hit. The team is still facing the rest of free agency, the draft, other cuts, etc.

Bottom line: the real mistake was picking up Carr's option. Carr's release was just a natural extension of that.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #9
keyser
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,302
Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoX View Post
Well, Carr's brother, Hulk75, posted that there was no way Carr was gonna renegotiate his deal. Hulk75 said that the Texans were asking for too much, but he also said what sums up to that Carr wasn't going to cooperate with the Texans. Carr really was in the driver's seat on this. If the Texans wanted to play hardball, Carr could have played harder ball. The Texans, thanks to past bad contracts, were/are in salary cap hell. This gave Carr leverage, as the team would have been hamstrung to make other moves if they continued to incur Carr's cap hit. The team is still facing the rest of free agency, the draft, other cuts, etc.
All the leverage was not on Carr's side. True, he'd be released eventually, but the longer the Texans held on to him, the less likely he was to get a bigger payday elsewhere. Teams are going to make sure that they're set in terms of starting QB by the time the draft is over. If the Texans held Carr past the draft, he'd have much more trouble negotiating a good deal.

Not to mention that he could have just been traded for a conditional pick. So, if he went to a team and they couldn't work out a deal with him, they'd release him, with no draft pick changing hands. In that scenario, we'd still end up with nothing, but if they were able to work something out, at least we'd have something to show for it.

Also, according to the houstonprofootball.com statistics, it looks like cutting Carr (and Williams) actually hurts our cap (until June 1, when it will go down - we'd subsequently use that to sign our rookies, I imagine), as we have to carry their salary against the cap until then anyway! So, the early release (assuming they're designated as June 1 cuts) doesn't help at all against the cap - I don't think this was really an issue in releasing him now instead of on May 31.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame
 
The Pencil Neck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 53
Posts: 19,245
Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
All the leverage was not on Carr's side. True, he'd be released eventually, but the longer the Texans held on to him, the less likely he was to get a bigger payday elsewhere. Teams are going to make sure that they're set in terms of starting QB by the time the draft is over. If the Texans held Carr past the draft, he'd have much more trouble negotiating a good deal.
Well, yes and no. There are always unexpected injuries. If we had held on to him, there was a possibility that someone was going to have some sort of emergency where they really needed a veteran QB and fast (like when Vick broke his leg or when Pennington broke his arm.) In that sort of situation, we'd have more of a chance of being able to move him and get something. Depending on how bad their situation was, we might even have been able to do that without having to have him agree to restructure his deal (although the odds were against that.)

Him being released gives him all the power in choosing who he wants to go to (if there are multiple bidders.)

And if he's worried about getting the best contract, he shouldn't be too quick to sign on with a team. If he waits until someone has an emergency situation, he can probably get a better deal than if he just takes the best offer available now. OTOH, if he wants to be successful, he should sign as soon as possible so he can take part in all the training camp stuff and start learning the new offense asap.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #11
SamuraiSword
Veteran
 
SamuraiSword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston of course!!!!
Posts: 492
Rep Power: 9 SamuraiSword is a Pro BowlerSamuraiSword is a Pro Bowler
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
First let me go through how a trade starts in the NFL.

Okay look every GM has every other GM's direct line phone number. They also have cell phone numbers, but nobody uses those initially, because it's considered rude. You call back someone who called your office, and if his assistant tells you to call the cell you do.

Talks usually start like this: "Mike, I'm calling to add my name to the list."

"Which list?"

"Folks wanting to know what you want for Carr. We might have some interest."

"I wondered if I was gonna hear from you. What are you thinking?"

And here we have the first major point in the discussion. He who admits first, loses. The calling GM will ALWAYS say something like, "hadn't really thought much more than that we're interested. What kind of offers are you taking seriously?"

"Hadn't really gotten any we're taking seriously or he'd be gone Jim. You know me!"

They'll BS like this until one guy says something. Usually it's the caller who has to fess up. And, they ALWAYS say "I heard you got offered a third and an OL for him. I might could work something like that," whether he heard that or not.

Anyway, that's the way a trade typically goes down, or at least starts, as ridiculous as it sounds. Just like hustin' for you fella's that know what I mean.

So, I have heard from an irrefutable source that those conversations took place with the following teams:

Detroit
Miami (not sure why)
Oakland
Kansas City (also not sure why)
Seattle (makes me wonder about Hasselbeck's shoulder).

I don't know what they all talked about (other than Detroit), or who else may have called, but that's at least a partial list.

So to get to my point............ look there had to be SOMEONE who was willing to restructure David's contract, sign him to a 5 year deal and rework the final year of our contract, and give us SOMETHING for him, even if it was a spare part OL or a 5th round draft pick.

I don't care what Richard Justice says, we got nothing when we could have had something.

The WORST part of this whole deal is that Kubiak came in here and RE-annointed David as THE GUY, made sure he got a fatass bonus that is going to kick our asses this year when Carr isn't even here, and then a mere 16 games later decides to mortgage the future for someone else and can Carr.

I seriously don't get it. One season where the guy completes 68+% of his passes, has nearly his highest QB rating ever, and does it all with NO RB and NO OL, and that's a reason 365 days after giving him 8 million bucks to fire him?

You know all for the Texans but either Kubiak/Smith are IDIOTS for cutting the guy, or they were IDIOTS for giving him all that money last year. One way or the other they have made MONUMENTAL F-ups in a very short period of time with this organization. Its going to take alot for me to get the respect that I had for Kubes when he was hired.

Passing on Young/Leinart/Cutler and signing David to an ENORMOUS tender, and then outright cutting him without getting anything is INSANE. Which we will never get off that subject. On top of that, they took a career backup 3rd round draft choice who happens to have a little buzz about him, and threw him into the same crappy position Carr was in; No OL, no RB, one WR, and a porous defense that can't keep you off the field.

It does seem to be very confusing though. Perhaps Big Daddy Bob was just doing Carr yet another favor. Its just like you want to......what now?!
wow so everyone that is learning and being groomed is a career backup to you? wow glad you are not a coach.....
__________________
"We've got a problem, and until we fix the problem, things [will] continue to be this way." ---Dunta Robinson
SamuraiSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #12
shanden
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 78
Rep Power: 9 shanden is on the Pro-Bowl ballotshanden is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

Hulk was right about Carr's position. Didn't want to budge.

Smith's interview after the release was that Carr's agent requested the release to McNair. Smith was working on a trade at the time (supposedly a third rounder) and was told to honor the request by McNair. So he did.

Really the only question remaining was whether Kubiak was pressured to believe in Carr in order to be HC or if he really thought Carr's issues were fixable in one season. The answer is probably a bit of both.
shanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,559
Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

good post Imatexanfan, I sense alot of the same frustration :brickwall

Lork also had a good post with opposing viewpoint a day ago

so let me respond with the mb are functioning as intended to help fans express their feelings in an open honest forum. we should thank our mods for providing a service of mental health & well being to all Texan fans
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #14
Jimpster
Rookie
 
Jimpster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Grassy Knoll - Yellow Lot
Posts: 48
Rep Power: 0 Jimpster is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
good post Imatexanfan, I sense alot of the same frustration :brickwall
I'll second the motion!
__________________
Q: How many Aggies does it take to screw up a 1st round draft pick?

A: 1 - Gary Kubiak
Jimpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #15
noxiousdog
All Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 40
Posts: 649
Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
I seriously don't get it. One season where the guy completes 68+% of his passes, has nearly his highest QB rating ever, and does it all with NO RB and NO OL, and that's a reason 365 days after giving him 8 million bucks to fire him?
Because that 68% completion rating was fool's gold.

His yards per completion ranked #63 out of 67 quarterbacks that threw a pass last year. Of those that threw 100, he's dead last.

David was sacked every 10 attempts and Sage Rosenfels once every 40.

Here's two stat lines:
1673 comp 2963 att 56.5% 20261 yds 123 TD 92 int <- 6 years (two half seasons)
1243 comp 2070 att 60.0% 13391 yds 59 TD 65 int <- 5 years

One is Aaron Brooks, one is David Carr.

What would you trade away to get Aaron Brooks?
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #16
MojoX
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 386
Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanden View Post
Hulk was right about Carr's position. Didn't want to budge.

Smith's interview after the release was that Carr's agent requested the release to McNair. Smith was working on a trade at the time (supposedly a third rounder) and was told to honor the request by McNair. So he did.
Which interview are you referring to? When and where did Smith say this? If McNair really did overrule Smith to get Carr released, that is major news. I mean, the owner possibly screwing his own team out of a potential draft pick?!

Last edited by MojoX; 03-26-2007 at 02:11 PM.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #17
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame
 
Imatexanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ft.Knox, KY
Posts: 918
Rep Power: 1228 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

Well I don't think Rick Smith had nothing to do with keeping Carr so I am not so sure how ya'll can come to the conclusion that he sucks. Who knows about Kubiak, maybe he had to endorse Carr to get the job. It seemed almost everyone else knew Carr sucked after the 05 season, with the exception of a few Aggie fans and Carr's relatives that post on the this board.(not mentioning no names or anything)

Hell, I think they should at least give wonger need food a scouting job. He was the first one to point out the suckness that is Carr (at least 2 seasons before it came extremely obvious), this was while many of us were still buying into all the excuses and hype. So I say looks like no more Carr homers here, looks like you won this one wonger, I'll getcha though.
__________________
☻/ Here's 2 u & here's 2 me & I
/▌hope we never disagree. But
/ \ if that should eva be, 2 HELL with u, here's 2 ME!!
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #18
Luv Ya Blue 2007
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 79
Rep Power: 8 Luv Ya Blue 2007 is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
Passing on Young/Leinart/Cutler and signing David to an ENORMOUS tender, and then outright cutting him without getting anything is INSANE. Which we will never get off that subject. On top of that, they took a career backup 3rd round draft choice who happens to have a little buzz about him, and threw him into the same crappy position Carr was in; [b]No OL, no RB, one WR, and a porous defense that can't keep you off the field.
Imatexan fan, tell us how you really feel. Looking just under your name I see:

Matt Schaub=Steve Young,IMO.

Something just doesn't make sense to me.
Luv Ya Blue 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #19
DocBar
Hall of Fame
 
DocBar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: I'm international
Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Age: 45
Posts: 9,744
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanden View Post
Hulk was right about Carr's position. Didn't want to budge.

Smith's interview after the release was that Carr's agent requested the release to McNair. Smith was working on a trade at the time (supposedly a third rounder) and was told to honor the request by McNair. So he did.

Really the only question remaining was whether Kubiak was pressured to believe in Carr in order to be HC or if he really thought Carr's issues were fixable in one season. The answer is probably a bit of both.
That truely questions Kubiak's integrity as a coach. I don't have a problem if he did do that. If he was right, he's the QB guru everyone believed he was and if he failed(which he obviously did) at least he admitted it, took the hit, and moved on. Integrity. no matter how you look at it.
__________________
“Of course, if one ignores contradictory observations, one can claim to have an ‘elegant’ or ‘robust’ theory. But it isn’t science.”
— Halton Arp
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #20
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 36,490
Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith confuses the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
That truely questions Kubiak's integrity as a coach.
I don't think David's biggest problems can be seen by watching film, or playing against him. Watching tape, if I thought I was really good at what I do, & if what I do is fix QBs, I'd have been extremely confident that I could "fix" David.

But after watching David for 5 years, and watching how our offense went from unpredictable to mickey mouse...... & the complete 180 Kubiak(who everybody agreed was a QB guru before the season) took as the year went on....

I have no doubt in my mind that David Carr isn't made of the stuff NFL QBs are made of.

Maybe he should try boxing, or Hockey. But he is not, and never will be an NFL QB.

He might start for another team... they might call him a QB for a little while, but it will be a cruel.... cruel joke.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger