Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2007   #1
mike230765
Rookie

Default #2 Reciever

I just wanted to get others opinion on this.

If the Texans don't get a WR till the 2nd day do you think that David Anderson will end up winning the #2 reciever spot? I know Kubiak likes him and he does have some speed and quickness to him. Then the #3 reciever would be Kevin Walters. Jerome and whoever we pick up would fight for the #4 spot.
mike230765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #2
htownfoozball
Veteran

Default Re: #2 Reciever

the draft is deep enough in WR's that you could find a very productive #2 WR in the 4th or 5th.
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #3
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfoozball View Post
the draft is deep enough in WR's that you could find a very productive #2 WR in the 4th or 5th.
Agreed. Not sure if anyone remembers this, but at the combine Kubiak was interviewed and said that he thought 2 positions in the draft were the deepest: WR and OT.
Old 03-25-2007   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
Agreed. Not sure if anyone remembers this, but at the combine Kubiak was interviewed and said that he thought 2 positions in the draft were the deepest: WR and OT.
sure wr is deep but ot i'm having serious doubts about this regime

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #5
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

Looking back in Denver when the receiving corps pretty much consisted of Rod Smith, Ed McCaffery and Shannon Sharpe at TE. I think we'll get by fine with what we're setting in place. Not saying Walter is as good as Ed but if he can develop into that sort of guy this offense could be fun to watch.
Old 03-25-2007   #6
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

yeah i'm not worried about our WR's...i think between walter, mathis, and anderson we have some solid receivers opposite andre...sure andre is gonna get double teamed...but when teams start to realize that walter can catch too they'll have to adjust and andre will once again dominate the league because he is angry dre'
Old 03-25-2007   #7
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82056 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
beerlover, just because your draft has been ruined, it doesn't mean the draft itself has been ruined. They could get a WR and OT with the 1st and 3rd picks, or vice versa. And if they draft well, still pick up another good pick in the 4th.

I know that dwelling on the negative is the hallmark of a message board, but jeeez.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2007   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Johnnie Lee Higgens in the 3rd round!

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #9
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

i think we may be surprised at who we can pick up as the 2nd WR. You may have some decent options off the waiver wire. I think we are going to be built around the running game so I think our TE play will be as important if not more important than our #2 WR. Luckily, we addressed that position last year with The Weatherman. Ironically, it was a Casserley pick. He championed him in the war room. It was Casserley's Swan Song to say sorry to all us fans.
Old 03-26-2007   #10
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
you mean Johnnie Lee Higgens Jr.!!

if that name doesnt sound like a Houston Texan, what the hell does? it would be nice if aaron ross dropped to 3rd round and then Higgens dropped to our 4th round....landry schaub ross higgens would be a great haul in the first 4 rounds
Old 03-26-2007   #11
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 60 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Coach K has years of NFL experience that you don't. Not only that, but I'm sure he's seen more of the prospects in person and on tape than any of us have. He drafted Charles Spencer, remember? If he sees something he likes in a later round, let's wait and see how they perform instead of bashing them before they're even drafted.
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
beerlover, just because your draft has been ruined, it doesn't mean the draft itself has been ruined. They could get a WR and OT with the 1st and 3rd picks, or vice versa. And if they draft well, still pick up another good pick in the 4th.

I know that dwelling on the negative is the hallmark of a message board, but jeeez.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedinkle View Post
Coach K has years of NFL experience that you don't. Not only that, but I'm sure he's seen more of the prospects in person and on tape than any of us have. He drafted Charles Spencer, remember? If he sees something he likes in a later round, let's wait and see how they perform instead of bashing them before they're even drafted.
im pretty sure he was being sarcastic....esp with the at the end
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #13
coachdent
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 coachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to coachdent

For all those folks who thought that Eric Moulds was the carbon copy of perfection for a number two wide receiver and such a huge asset... why is he still out on the street?

How then can anyone justify being ok with moving an unproductive #3 guy into that role and expect better things? I know the wicked witch of the west is out of here, but if we're still throwing balls to Toto over there, we don't have much chance of hitting the yellow brick road to the playoffs.

...ok, perhaps I took the Wizard of Oz theme a tad bit too far!
Old 03-26-2007   #14
shanden
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 shanden is on the Pro-Bowl ballotshanden is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Considering Carr was lousy at going through his WR progressions before a dump off, it is very hard from a fan perspective to say it was the #3WR that was performing bad.

There were numerous times in games when receivers would be open and a dump off occurred instead. I think it would take a lot of film, studying routes and practice field performance to have any guage on how good/bad the young WR ares.
shanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #15
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I really wouldn't be surprised if we traded down and picked Ted Ginn Jr.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #16
coachdent
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 coachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to coachdent

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanden View Post
Considering Carr was lousy at going through his WR progressions before a dump off, it is very hard from a fan perspective to say it was the #3WR that was performing bad.

There were numerous times in games when receivers would be open and a dump off occurred instead. I think it would take a lot of film, studying routes and practice field performance to have any guage on how good/bad the young WR ares.
He certainly got through his second progression and found Moulds covered. That was my point. Moulds was NOT a viable #2 NFL receiver. So if our #3 could not supplant him at number 2, then he obviously was not a better option then and he doesn't magically become better now that he has been moved from three to two.

The statute of limitations on blaming Carr is rapidly coming to an end for folks. At some point and time, we are going to have to face the cold hard facts that we are not a complete football team at every position. There are some holes there. #2 WR is one of them. Don't hand me Walters, a healthier Mathis, Gaitlin or whomever comes down the pike on this roster and tell us that sans Carr we're better now. A draft pick... perhaps. But don't tell me that somneone on our existing roster is a better option now. That's Cocoa for Cocoa Puffs.
Old 03-26-2007   #17
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i don't know what went on with moulds...maybe age simply caught up to him...but he definetly was a good influence on andre...i think the impression he left on andre will be seen for years to come...either way the manor of which moulds carried himself in the business was with class and hard work

our team right now has some options...but we do need to add atleast one more in the offense...whether the team decides to add that early in the draft or with a mid-rounder will be determined next month

personally i think we can get a guy with a mid-rounder and it turn out just fine...but kubiak might just want to finish the offense he has created and maybe he already has a guy in mind that he wants...maybe it's one of the top WR's in this draft maybe it's a guy he can get later

i remember seeing on footallsfuture.com that kubiak had met with courtney taylor from auburn and liked the fact that he was willing to make the tough catch in traffic...there is a lot to be said about a receiver who will make that catch and block for the running game
Old 03-26-2007   #18
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanden View Post

You are right about that. Still.... I see Dwayne Jarrett in our future. Damien Hughes in the third, and an LT in the 4th. An AJ/Jarrett tandem would be incredible, and I think with Schaub being better at making his reads, Walter will become a bigger part of this club.

I'm not happy about what we gave up, but I'm definitely getting on board with the Schaub pick-up.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #19
real

I think the Texans can go in so many directions from this point...

Just my personal thoughts on the draft:

I don't think we'll be taking a WR early...We already have Walters, AJ, Mathis, Anderson who I hope will all make the team....I think the Texans may target a Jason Hill, Aundrae Allison type player in the third or fourth round.

I believe our first round pick is spent on defense pretty much no matter what....
Old 03-26-2007   #20
Schaub_to AJ_YES!
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
THAT would be strong!!!!!
Schaub_to AJ_YES! is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read