Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2007   #1
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AFC South Division outlook

Well I'm normally as conservative and realistic as it comes when looking toward the next season's record and chances of playoffs, etc. Being that I'm really excited in the direction this team is headed and hoping that Schaub becomes a pro-bowl QB for us I've decided to take an outlook on next season as optimistically as I could but still trying to have somewhat of a realistic base.

I give the texans 2 years and think we will be contending for the playoffs consistently. I think we can definitly make the playoffs (either by winning the division or wildcard). Let's look to next season, shall we?

Can the Texans go to the playoffs THIS SEASON!?

Indianapolis Colts - Well, they are the colts and have won our division every single season. Can winning the Superbowl be a curse the next season like it's happened in the past...say Steelers for example?! We finally beat them last season. Can we beat them at least once next season? i hope so.

-Franchised Dwight Freeney
-Lost Cato June Lb
-Lost Domanic Rhodes Rb
-Lost Nick Harper Cb
-Lost Brandon Stokley Wr

Jacksonville Jaguars- Well, we've owned them for the most part...at least last year we did. That doesn't necessarily mean we're going to sweep them again though.

-QB controversy- Byron Leftwich missed a lot of games last season, David Gerard played a lot, who's going to be their starter and will that last the whole season?
-Fred Taylor has been rumored to be a lot healthier than he has in the past and Jones-Drew is a stud.
-lost Kyle Brady to the pats and deon grant to the seahawks
-have addressed the offense pretty well in the offseason

Tennessee Titans VY came at us with a chip on his shoulder last season. Both games we played were pretty pathetic, mainly the one in TN..that won't happen this year. Close game at home too. i don't think we get swept this season by them.

-Signed Nick Harper Cb which they will really need.
-lost chris brown Rb
-lost Travis Henry Rb
-Pacman Jones may spend half the season or more in Jail or get cut/traded..who knows whats up there but it isn't helping the team.
-lost Drew Bennett Wr ?
-Lost Bobby Wade Wr
-Lost Robaire Smith Dt (remember him)

I think the Titans need some help, who are there RB's after Lendale? what receivers do they have for VY to throw to? Their secondary isn't looking to good w/ pacmans troubles. I don't expect VY to dominate the game next season as he did this season...teams will play him better...esp us.

So IMO the AFC south isn't as scary as I once thought it would be. Each team is very beatable...and The Colts are not as strong as they were last season. I can see us splitting the series with each team fairly easily and hopefully we could sweep the jags/titans if we 'lucky'!

What do y'all think about our chances after looking at some of the additions/subtractions from the other teams? Please add anything I missed because that was all off the top of my head..there's gotta be a lot more.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #2
amazingandre
All Pro

Default Re: AFC South Division outlook

i think we can beat all but indy....we split indy for sure....they are still great on offense but their d is gonna struggle.....
amazingandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #3
aproberts03
Rookie

indy will still be a great team as long as peyton manning is there..but looks like they are losing a lot on defense so it might be with them who can score the most points...i think we can beat the rest of the teams in the south division
aproberts03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #4
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know who the Jags have picked up in FA, but just looking at what you've got on here, it seems the Texans are the only one to make an improvement to their team at this point in time. We still have a long way to go with this offseason, and I know things can change, but I don't think there is much left (big names) out there in FA, so most of the teams now will be looking at the draft to improve their teams.

It's been a wild ride so far if you're a Texan fan, and I don't think the ride is over yet! JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #5
K.D.
Veteran

I'll tell you this, Titans, we are going to OWN their asses this year. When we play them everyone will have revenge on their minds and VY will not pull-out them victorious like he did this past year. Texans know they are a better team and they are gonna come out and play like it. IMO, VY had the best season he is ever going to have last year, he is either going to get hurt trying to carry that team or he is going to be so frustrated that mistakes are goung to be a common place for him.

Jags, this team i'm not really concerned with either. We might split with them but my guess is we will sweep them again. Jags are a prime ex. of a media-hyped football team. There is no way in hell they are better than us and that defense the media always talk bout isn't that great. Byron L. is one quater-pounder away from working at McD's and who are they going to replace him with, Garrad, we seen what he is capable of which is nothing, so the Jags to me aren't all that they are cracked up to be.

Colts,i get what you are saying bout the SB hangover, but this team is gonna fight us esp. Manning to the end. He really think he owns us and he might have a case but he is going to see that this is not the Carr lead TEXANS, this is going to be a new breed of species and it's called TEXANS TEAM!! We are will fight right back with these guys cuz we realized we can beat them and this team is hungry for success. I bet'cha we split again this year.

All in all, i think we as fans are in a unique situation where we are finally rooting for a team that has a chip on their shoulders and are going to play like they have something to prove. This season will be the building blocks of what we expect for years to come. I'ma say and i'ma say it LOUD, PROUD TO BE A TEXAN!! Peace
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #6
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

we swept jacksonville last year and i see no real reason why we couldn't again next year...i can't stand jacksonville...they are the number one team i want us to beat every year no matter what...i can't stand their head coach...and i think a lot of their players are cheap shottin you know whats

as far as what has happened in our division this year both the titans and the colts have lost key starters on their team...i cannot believe those teams will be better with the loss of that talent...jacksonville on the other hand has gotten better along the offensive line but not in their receiving corp or on defense...so here's now i see the division turning out:

indy colts: even with the loss of talented starters they still have dungy coaching, peyton leading, harrison and reggie, with dwight freeney still there...they will simply draft another LB to play where cato june did...as long as they have peyton they have a chance to win...he's just like farve in that sense

tin-cup titans: this is buds team so i'm naturally disgusted by them...they have some talented players in their QB and in keith bullock...we'll get to see if lendale white can handle the full load this season and if the WR's they have can step up...their defense was horrible and they really haven't added that much to it except nick harper...so we'll see how far their QB can carry them again

jax cubs: their WR's suck...as many draft picks they spend on them that's about the only way to describe them...their big, tall, and can't catch...their best one is a converted QB...but they have two really good RB's so it makes up for it...their QB situation isn't what they want but leftwich will be the starter...on defense as long as they have henderson and stroud they'll be fine...those two guys are their rush defense...with mathis they have a solid CB...their LB's are good...just a case of good defense bad offense...they can win games but not playoff games

HOUSTON TEXANS: we have new hope in a matt schaub...we've added quality veteran guys to our team and have gotten rid of some of the dead weight that was on the team (talking about cap space)...a lot will depend on our draft however...i feel without a solid draft we won't have a chance to have our first winning season

pre-draft record forecast:

indy: 11-5 (no nine game winning streak anymore)
hou: 8-8 (i won't predict a winning season till after i see how our draft goes)
ten: 7-9 (as long as they have their QB they will be in games)
jax: 3-13 (it's their turn to have the injury bug affect them)
Old 03-25-2007   #7
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Well I'm normally as conservative and realistic as it comes when looking toward the next season's record and chances of playoffs, etc. Being that I'm really excited in the direction this team is headed and hoping that Schaub becomes a pro-bowl QB for us I've decided to take an outlook on next season as optimistically as I could but still trying to have somewhat of a realistic base.

I give the texans 2 years and think we will be contending for the playoffs consistently. I think we can definitly make the playoffs (either by winning the division or wildcard). Let's look to next season, shall we?

Can the Texans go to the playoffs THIS SEASON!?

Indianapolis Colts - Well, they are the colts and have won our division every single season. Can winning the Superbowl be a curse the next season like it's happened in the past...say Steelers for example?! We finally beat them last season. Can we beat them at least once next season? i hope so.

-Franchised Dwight Freeney
-Lost Cato June Lb
-Lost Domanic Rhodes Rb
-Lost Nick Harper Cb
-Lost Brandon Stokley Wr

Jacksonville Jaguars- Well, we've owned them for the most part...at least last year we did. That doesn't necessarily mean we're going to sweep them again though.

-QB controversy- Byron Leftwich missed a lot of games last season, David Gerard played a lot, who's going to be their starter and will that last the whole season?
-Fred Taylor has been rumored to be a lot healthier than he has in the past and Jones-Drew is a stud.
-lost Kyle Brady to the pats and deon grant to the seahawks
-have addressed the offense pretty well in the offseason

Tennessee Titans VY came at us with a chip on his shoulder last season. Both games we played were pretty pathetic, mainly the one in TN..that won't happen this year. Close game at home too. i don't think we get swept this season by them.

-Signed Nick Harper Cb which they will really need.
-lost chris brown Rb
-lost Travis Henry Rb
-Pacman Jones may spend half the season or more in Jail or get cut/traded..who knows whats up there but it isn't helping the team.
-lost Drew Bennett Wr ?
-Lost Bobby Wade Wr
-Lost Robaire Smith Dt (remember him)

I think the Titans need some help, who are there RB's after Lendale? what receivers do they have for VY to throw to? Their secondary isn't looking to good w/ pacmans troubles. I don't expect VY to dominate the game next season as he did this season...teams will play him better...esp us.

So IMO the AFC south isn't as scary as I once thought it would be. Each team is very beatable...and The Colts are not as strong as they were last season. I can see us splitting the series with each team fairly easily and hopefully we could sweep the jags/titans if we 'lucky'!

What do y'all think about our chances after looking at some of the additions/subtractions from the other teams? Please add anything I missed because that was all off the top of my head..there's gotta be a lot more.
I am predicting a 10-6 record this season and a fight for a wild card spot.

We could've won 10 games last season with DC. Now, with Matt Schaub AND Ahman Green, the outlook only looks better. The problems that plagued the Texans last season were mental errors. Minor execution blunders last season on both sides of the ball that took us out of close games down the stretch. A fumble here, a penalty or two there...that's all. It's all about our players getting a mindset that allows them to pull out close games when it gets down to crunch time.

Last season, Gary Kubiak inherited a lot of players from the previous regime. This season, he'll have HIS guys out there on Sundays and it will be a completely different story. The Texans will be Super Bowl contenders 3 years from now...mark my words.
Old 03-25-2007   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

With the other teams in our division not looking as dominant as i once thought...i think we could have a great record next season.

While this might be too optimistic it is possible.
-We win 4 games within our division.
-1 game against the Colts
-we sweep either the tacks or jags and then split the series with the other.

So we'd be 4-2 against our division. To get to .500 all we need to do is go 4-6 the other 10 games. Here are the ten other teams:

Home (2006 Record)

Denver Broncos (9-7)
Kansas City Chiefs (9-7)
Miami Dolphins (6-10)
New Orleans Saints (10-6)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12)

Road

Atlanta Falcons (8-8)
Carolina Panthers (8-8)
Cleveland Browns (4-12)
Oakland Raiders (2-14)
San Diego Chargers (14-2)

Not an impossible schedule but definitly pretty tough imo. there are no gimmes but off the top of my head how about the W's against Miami, Tampa, Cleveland, Oakland? we'll have to win more games to win our division and probably 1 or 2 more for a wild card spot...i think it's going to be tough but attainable.
Old 03-25-2007   #9
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

You can't do an AFC South preview until after the draft. The draft changes everything. Every team will be different after the draft. (For example you asked who will VY throw to, well that will be addressed in the draft)
Old 03-26-2007   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan View Post
You can't do an AFC South preview until after the draft. The draft changes everything. Every team will be different after the draft. (For example you asked who will VY throw to, well that will be addressed in the draft)
That's a very good point. The majority..not all but most of the big FA moves have been made by teams at this point. at least i think? This is just a preliminary outlook. And after the draft I figure we'll look at this again only we'll just have to add those players and not start from scratch.

Could you give me some more insight as far as the titans go? I know i didn't address everything for each team.

Man, everytime I look at our defense, I pray for Smith to pick a Defensive stud in the 1st round!!!
Old 03-26-2007   #11
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingandre View Post
i think we can beat all but indy....we split indy for sure....they are still great on offense but their d is gonna struggle.....
Now, imagine an upgrade at DE, CB, and FS for us. (You mean, *just* that, Rick?)
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #12
Bongo59
Veteran

the titans have 10 picks and still have a ton of money left for vet cuts.............they will fill holes. VY is going to be better this yr than worse and you all know it. I think the LWhite will be an upgrade to Henry. in our run last yr we went 8-3..............Drew Bennett had 15 catches in those 11 games...........he stunk............and we wont lose much with Brandon Jones being the guy now. replacing bennett's 46 catches wont be tough............Jones will be tough to replace..........but we will have a better roster than last yr.
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #13
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I have to go along with too early to predict. Tenn is in a good position to improve the most, with Houston not too far behind. Jax may have some improvement, and Indy may be in trouble with the folks they are losing.

So I will make this prediction, the AFC South is going to be really tight this year.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #14
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo59 View Post
the titans have 10 picks and still have a ton of money left for vet cuts.............they will fill holes. VY is going to be better this yr than worse and you all know it. I think the LWhite will be an upgrade to Henry. in our run last yr we went 8-3..............Drew Bennett had 15 catches in those 11 games...........he stunk............and we wont lose much with Brandon Jones being the guy now. replacing bennett's 46 catches wont be tough............Jones will be tough to replace..........but we will have a better roster than last yr.
We do? Oh I guess this a long the lines of how Vick will revolutionize how the QB position is played in the NFL ... How is that working out. Yes the Titans have 10 picks but two-4th rounders and three-6th rounders is having most of the picks on the second day. Yes the 4s are good but the 6th rounders you usually find special teams players there first year in the league (usually). Jones is a possesion receiver and not a number 1 guy.
Old 03-26-2007   #15
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
We do? Oh I guess this a long the lines of how Vick will revolutionize how the QB position is played in the NFL ... How is that working out. Yes the Titans have 10 picks but two-4th rounders and three-6th rounders is having most of the picks on the second day. Yes the 4s are good but the 6th rounders you usually find special teams players there first year in the league (usually). Jones is a possesion receiver and not a number 1 guy.
Last year, I would say our 2nd best draft pick was our 7th round nickel cornernback out of Samford, Cortland Finnegan. Great speed and very smart, he scored an 80 yard defensive touchdown too.

I know what you mean though, the later rounds you have to get lucky. But 10 picks is a lot.
Old 03-26-2007   #16
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

as veteran WR's are not beating down the door to get on with the titans they need a young guy to come in.
Old 03-26-2007   #17
keyfro
Hall of Fame

titans better hope that nothing happens to their QB with his running style of play...remember even vick got injuried when no body thought he would...all we need now is madden to put VY on the cover of his game it'll happen in pre-season

i'm not worried about the other teams in our divisions though...i'm more worried about how our team is gonna do...how our team is gonna draft...and who is gonna make the final roster
Old 03-27-2007   #18
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro View Post

i'm not worried about the other teams in our divisions though

You should add "..until the season starts" to the end of that. The Colts are in our divison, in case you forgot.
Old 03-27-2007   #19
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You should add "..until the season starts" to the end of that. The Colts are in our divison, in case you forgot.
i haven't forgotten but i'm still not worried...why worry about another team when our own team has enough unknowns to worry about...i'll worry about the colts the two weeks we play them...same with any other team...whether they are in our division or not
Old 03-27-2007   #20
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
either way, it'll still be a rookie WR, and a QB who can't actually throw the ball.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read