Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-25-2007   #1
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Levi Brown

I'm not entirely sold on this guy. He doesn't seem to be a franchise left tackle like Joe Thomas. And looking at next year's class where Sam Baker, Jake Long, Barry Richardson, and possibly Jared Gaither should declare - you're looking at 4 franchise left tackles.

I'm not a scout and I'm not going to pretend to be a scout but from what I've read, Levi is projected best as a right tackle in the NFL, hence the interest from Arizona and Atlanta.

With the re-signing of Salaam and the addition of Black, I think we can piecemeal for another year. Spencer probably isn't the solution at left tackle, but maybe he'll return healthy next season and prove he is.

Do we really want to take a chance on Brown when we have other voids to fill? Look at our options; Reggie Nelson at FS, Amobi Okoye at DT, Adam Carriker at DE, Darrelle Revis/Chris Houston at CB, Ryan Kalil at C, Robert Meachem/Dwayne Bowe at WR. Some are obvious reaches at the 10th pick, but so is Levi Brown. And seeing as we don't have a 2nd round pick, we have to make the best of our first rounder - barring a trade, of course.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Levi Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
I'm not entirely sold on this guy. He doesn't seem to be a franchise left tackle like Joe Thomas. And looking at next year's class where Sam Baker, Jake Long, Barry Richardson, and possibly Jared Gaither should declare - you're looking at 4 franchise left tackles.

I'm not a scout and I'm not going to pretend to be a scout but from what I've read, Levi is projected best as a right tackle in the NFL, hence the interest from Arizona and Atlanta.

With the re-signing of Salaam and the addition of Black, I think we can piecemeal for another year. Spencer probably isn't the solution at left tackle, but maybe he'll return healthy next season and prove he is.

Do we really want to take a chance on Brown when we have other voids to fill? Look at our options; Reggie Nelson at FS, Amobi Okoye at DT, Adam Carriker at DE, Darrelle Revis/Chris Houston at CB, Ryan Kalil at C, Robert Meachem/Dwayne Bowe at WR. Some are obvious reaches at the 10th pick, but so is Levi Brown. And seeing as we don't have a 2nd round pick, we have to make the best of our first rounder - barring a trade, of course.
I'm not against us taking him if he's available because he certainly would help us out. But I'd be more inclined to take some of the other players you mentioned.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #3
real

I don't think we'll take Levi...

Kubiak said we needed playmakers, and I think he'll stick to that...
Old 03-25-2007   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I don't think it's a very good idea to make decisions this year based on what might happen in next years draft. And while some people are projecting Levi Brown as a right tackle(I haven't seen any of that), there are some who believe Levi is a better prospect than Thomas, and definitely a better value if drafted out of the top 5.

I don't care about Levi Brown... weather we draft him or not. I think he'll be a fine football player. But I believe our offensive line is solid enough for us to start drafting OL late, and groom them for future use. I can see us drafting interior linemen, not expecting them to play at all in '07, but have them ready to play in '08, at a very high level.

We gave up 44 sacks in '07. That's pretty good, considering we never started the same 5 guys for more than 2 weeks in a row. If we can establish some kind of continuity with our starting 5, we'll have a very good season.
Old 03-25-2007   #5
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i don't see any scouting report projecting brown as a RT. he's got LT written all over him.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #6
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

I here what you are saying but can Matt Schaub take a pounding is the question you realy need to ask. He is basicly a untested QB(i.e. rookie but most won't say this because he has 3 years in the league) that has started two reg. season games for Alt. He is our new 48 million dollar man and I for one want to give the guy every chance to win, never IMO did we put a O-line together for Carr not saying it was all there fault, it was'nt, he had his problems as well. All I'm saying is take Levi this year if he's there at ten, and we dont get any trade down offers, if he works out at LT we have one glaring problem on our team fixed FINALLY. If Spencer makes a complete recovery from his injury plug him in a RT and our book-end Tackles are set for the next 10 to 12 years. If Spencer's not ready we have Winston for RT again this year.(some have even suggested trying Winston at LT)
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #7
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
i don't see any scouting report projecting brown as a RT. he's got LT written all over him.
Sorry I can't tell you where I read it but I have seen this also, has to due with his pass blocking and having to deal with speed rush at LT.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-25-2007   #8
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/...evi_brown.html

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...levibrown.html

It's not a matter of whether Brown is servicable as a left tackle, but whether it's a position where he can excel is at question, and I personally wouldn't want to take the chance with a first round draft pick.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry View Post
I here what you are saying but can Matt Schaub take a pounding is the question you realy need to ask. He is basicly a untested QB(i.e. rookie but most won't say this because he has 3 years in the league) that has started two reg. season games for Alt. He is our new 48 million dollar man and I for one want to give the guy every chance to win, never IMO did we put a O-line together for Carr not saying it was all there fault, it was'nt, he had his problems as well. All I'm saying is take Levi this year if he's there at ten, and we dont get any trade down offers, if he works out at LT we have one glaring problem on our team fixed FINALLY. If Spencer makes a complete recovery from his injury plug him in a RT and our book-end Tackles are set for the next 10 to 12 years. If Spencer's not ready we have Winston for RT again this year.(some have even suggested trying Winston at LT)
Yes, Shaub is a rookie, if he were in this draft, I'd guarantee he'd be drafted late in the first round. & that's basically what we gave for him.

As far as not getting David an OL to work behind, we put starters in front of him. Victor Riley, Todd Wade, Wiegart, all starters before coming to Houston. They may not have been probowlers, but they defiinitely weren't the worst OLmen in the league that they looked like when they were playing for Houston.

Milford Brown was signed last year as the Arizona Cardinals starting LG... he finished '06 as the Arizona Cardinals left guard... he started 12 games as the Arizona Cardinals LG. & with Milford Brown as the Arizona Cardinals LG, they only gave up 35 sacks(6 less than the Texans), threw for 3662 yards(900 more than the Texans), and for 17 TDs(6 more than the Texans) & all this, with no running game to speak of, and one of the worst defenses in the league.
Old 03-25-2007   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Yes, Shaub is a rookie
Guys entering their 4th year in the league are not rookies no matter how much they have started. Just spending three years in the league puts a player way ahead of someone coming out of college.
Old 03-25-2007   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry View Post
He is basicly a untested QB(i.e. rookie but most won't say this because he has 3 years in the league) that has started two reg. season games for Alt.
Yes "He is basicly a untested QB(i.e. rookie but most won't say this because he has 3 years in the league) that has started two reg. season games for Alt."

sorry, I should have been more specific. Thanks for the looking out cak.
Old 03-25-2007   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...and for 17 TDs(6 more than the Texans) ...
Um. Didn't the Texans have 14 passing TD's? Carr with 11 and Sage with 3?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #13
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Quote:
To what extent did his slow 40 time at the combine hurt him? How quick is Brown when it comes to getting out of his stance? Is he quick enough to handle speed rushers off the edge?

Brown was much slower than Thomas at the Combine. I've never seen him play, but I wonder about his ability to handle the Freeneys, Abrahams and Wares of the NFL if he isn't quick. A 40 time in the 5.3 range seems rather glacial to me.
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysTexansFan View Post
To what extent did his slow 40 time at the combine hurt him? How quick is Brown when it comes to getting out of his stance? Is he quick enough to handle speed rushers off the edge?

Brown was much slower than Thomas at the Combine. I've never seen him play, but I wonder about his ability to handle the Freeneys, Abrahams and Wares of the NFL if he isn't quick. A 40 time in the 5.3 range seems rather glacial to me.
If I remember right, Brown's 40 time was better than Spencer's, and we put spencer at LT.
Old 03-25-2007   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I remember right, Brown's 40 time was better than Spencer's, and we put spencer at LT.
Spencer ran 40's in 5.32 & 5.39 secs
Brown ran 40's in 5.39 & 5.45 secs

Brown and Spencer will lose a 40 yard foot race with Dwight Freeney everytime. Doesn't mean that they can't keep Freeney away from the QB. FWIW, Eric Winston ran his in 4.98 & 4.96 secs.
Old 03-25-2007   #16
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysTexansFan View Post

Grading oline by 40 times isn't that good of an idea. Brown is also an inch taller then Spencer and weighs about 25-30lbs less playing weight.

There's always next year for LT got us in this position. I'd be disapointed if we didn't take him or some LT help in the draft. I'm also hoping for a good center prospect.
Old 03-25-2007   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think it's a very good idea to make decisions this year based on what might happen in next years draft. And while some people are projecting Levi Brown as a right tackle(I haven't seen any of that), there are some who believe Levi is a better prospect than Thomas, and definitely a better value if drafted out of the top 5.

I don't care about Levi Brown... weather we draft him or not. I think he'll be a fine football player. But I believe our offensive line is solid enough for us to start drafting OL late, and groom them for future use. I can see us drafting interior linemen, not expecting them to play at all in '07, but have them ready to play in '08, at a very high level.

We gave up 44 sacks in '07. That's pretty good, considering we never started the same 5 guys for more than 2 weeks in a row. If we can establish some kind of continuity with our starting 5, we'll have a very good season.
I have to give it to you Kubiak thats your most open & honest statement to date addressing the Texans OL

spot on ey

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Spencer ran 40's in 5.32 & 5.39 secs
Brown ran 40's in 5.39 & 5.45 secs

Brown and Spencer will lose a 40 yard foot race with Dwight Freeney everytime. Doesn't mean that they can't keep Freeney away from the QB. FWIW, Eric Winston ran his in 4.98 & 4.96 secs.
I'm not knocking on Brown. I was just saying that We all think Kubiak did a good job finding Spencer, and that Spencer was a good LT for what little time he played, I was wrong about Spencer being slower than Brown, but their times are still close enough to say 40 times doesn't matter as much as CowboysTexansfan might think.

If Kubiak likes him, he'll take him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Evolve View Post
There's always next year for LT got us in this position. I'd be disapointed if we didn't take him or some LT help in the draft. I'm also hoping for a good center prospect.

I honestly don't believe Kubiak is going that way. In fact, I think he drafted two great LT prospects last year with just that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I have to give it to you Kubiak thats your most open & honest statement to date addressing the Texans OL

spot on ey
As I just said, I think Kubiak took precautions last year, and drafted two very good(great) LT prospects. One got hurt, the other did his training on the right side.

At least that's what I'm hoping Kubiak is thinking, because I just watched Indy vs KC in the first week of the play-offs again, & while Jordan Black is pretty athletic, and an asset in the run game, Dwight Freeney schooled him all day long in the passing game.
Old 03-26-2007   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i just can't see winston as an LT in the NFL. keep him at right.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody hearing any reports about how the Texans feel about Levi ?
We know they liked Quinn, but went a different way at QB because they didn't think there was much chance he'd make it to #8.
And they feel the same way about Peterson - really like him but don't believe
he'll last very long at all on the Draft Board.
But I've not heard any reports about how the Texans feel about Levi Brown,
one way or the other ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read