Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-25-2007   #1
shanden
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 shanden is on the Pro-Bowl ballotshanden is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default The double-edged Sword of trading down

I constantly hear the rattle of how the best route for the Texans in the first round is to trade down. We HAVE to recoup draft picks it is chimed and there is quality DB and WR material (and centers) in the later first round. Woot!!
What a great idea, we all sing.

But...

Are we prepared for what will have to happen for the Texans to trade down? We can't just wish it and it happens in a vaccuum. We have to have something of worth. Someone who could possibly start for us. An appropriate team sacrifice in order to tradedown. If there isn't urgent demand, by several teams, for a certain top player... tradedowns are simply daydreams.

I think it would take one of the top two RB, QB, or LT in the draft falling to #10 to the Texans for them to have a shot at trading down.

The problem is, everyone wants the Texans to trade down. However consider your reactions to what it will happen when the Texans trade down. How much heat do you think they get if they trade down with Lynch or Brown available. Everyone will scream bloody murder..."WFT??? How could the Texans trade X ?!?!". Mark it down. Trading down sounds like a fantastic idea on paper, till it happens and you realize the Texans passed on "X" to be able to do it.

So this seems a good spot to record down who will accept a tradedown, no matter who the Texans have available at the time. Secondly, for those that say..."wait! No. I won't trade down if "X" is still there". Well then, what player would it take (with a greater then 25% chance of actually being at #10) for the Texans to decide to retain on their roster, even if they get tradedown offers from New England, Buffalo, Green Bay, or Denver?

Let's get it down on this thread and see how many of you have buyers remorse if a tradedown happens with "X" player you liked.

I for one would trade down if Lynch, Brown, Branch, or either top two QB was still available. I would have to think really hard about trading down if Landry or Okoye is still there. (I am assuming AD is long gone in the top 5) I might pull the trade trigger if the price is right for any of the above. Would you?
shanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The double-edged Sword of trading down

I'd still pull it if it was the QBs for sure. Don't know about the others, but I doubt I'd make that trade if the best FS or CB is available.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #3
htownfoozball
Veteran

if brown, landry, and peterson are all gone, i trade down to GB so they can take lynch and i take either nelson, hall, or revis.

1-nelson FS
2-abiamiri DE
3-irons CB
4-soliai DT
5-robinson WR
6-harrington LB

upgraded secondary, add a pass rusher, get a big DT to clog the lanes, and get a talented receiver. i'm not sure where dedrick harrington is supposed to go, but he has some impressive measurables at 6'3 250lbs, 4.7 40 and 26 reps or so. he was pretty productive at missouri, but he's not one of the higher rated LB's and wasnt even invited to the combine or any of the all star games. he's my sleeper of the entire draft.
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #4
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

I am praying that Peterson and lynch falls so that we can work out a deal with buffalo, carolina or green bay.. bc they are 2 backs to 3 teams. Someone will most likely miss out. If Peterson falls i would call GB and Carolina see what they are giving them turn around and call Buffalo and say you will lose Peterson unless you offer what GB or Carolina offers.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #5
cred
Rookie

I would trade back with Buffalo before I would trade back to Green Bay, because, 1) Buffalo is not as far back as Green bay is, 2) They would probably be looking at RB or CB, being Lynch or Hall/ Houston. Now this is OK with me because they, I don't like Hall for his big game mishaps and Houston because I personally think he was a workout warrior. I personally would take Revis or Ross over either of those 2, 3) I truely believe that Nelson would fit in nicely in that draft spot as well. So I would be more apt to try and trade with Buffalo before I would with Green Bay.
cred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #6
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by royce1054 View Post
I am praying that Peterson and lynch falls so that we can work out a deal with buffalo, carolina or green bay.. bc they are 2 backs to 3 teams. Someone will most likely miss out. If Peterson falls i would call GB and Carolina see what they are giving them turn around and call Buffalo and say you will lose Peterson unless you offer what GB or Carolina offers.
I dont think that the Panthers are going to trade up for a RB when they just took DeAngelo Williams last year. If AD is gone and Lynch is still on the board the Packers and the Bills will be fighting each other for our pick.

We Win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #7
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cred View Post
I would trade back with Buffalo before I would trade back to Green Bay, because, 1) Buffalo is not as far back as Green bay is, 2) They would probably be looking at RB or CB, being Lynch or Hall/ Houston. Now this is OK with me because they, I don't like Hall for his big game mishaps and Houston because I personally think he was a workout warrior. I personally would take Revis or Ross over either of those 2, 3) I truely believe that Nelson would fit in nicely in that draft spot as well. So I would be more apt to try and trade with Buffalo before I would with Green Bay.
Same here. The only thing that scares me is that I think the Rams might take nelson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2007   #8
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanden View Post
I think it would take one of the top two RB, QB, or LT in the draft falling to #10 to the Texans for them to have a shot at trading down.
This is not entirely true. Who would have thought last year that the Bills would trade up to get McCargo of all the available prospects. And who would have expected the Texans to trade up to select Babin. All it takes is one team to get antsy for a player they covet.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #9
texans83
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 texans83 is a Pro Bowlertexans83 is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAddict View Post
This is not entirely true. Who would have thought last year that the Bills would trade up to get McCargo of all the available prospects. And who would have expected the Texans to trade up to select Babin. All it takes is one team to get antsy for a player they covet.
yea but CC isent their GM so I dont know if it would happen
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

IF AP, Landry, are gone, I am trading down. Everyone else is going to create quite a buzz for that #10 spot, which means more picks.

I can get a quality RB in round #2, and the OL or DL I want will be there in the later 1st round.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #11
Long Baller
Rookie

Barring another trade I still feel if AP was going to fall to 8 he could just as easily fall to 10. I heard Willis ran a 4.37 40 so if this is the case he may have just worked his way into the top 10. This adds another player into the mix that could potential push AP down. Anyway, the point is many things can happen so if we do trade down I sure hope we wait until our number is called on draft day before doing so. In the chance that a player like AP falls, I would hate to lose out on such a dominant play maker. I want quality more than quantity. I am tired of dumping high picks that don't pan out.
Old 03-26-2007   #12
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cred View Post
I am not so sure that I would put Houston in the "workout warrior" class at all. He increased his worth a ton by having a great combine however he shut down every WR he faced last year and he went against several guys that are projected 1st rounders to include Dwane Jarrett and Dwayn Bowe and he was already touted as a high 2nd rounder before the combine.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read