Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2007   #1
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83
Default John Clayton on the Schaub trade

This has probably been posted but on In the Huddle this morning Clayton panned the trade saying:
- Schaub probably won't do much better than Carr did.
- It all boils down to passing on Reggie Bush last year (that's verbatim I think, what a putz)
- We released Domanick, Carr, and Moulds and their replacements are going to hurt us in the pocket book.
- We still have a crappy O-Line that we've done nothing to change.

My thoughts on his comments:
While Schaub and Ahman Green don't necessarily have cheap contracts, they are much less than the contracts we would've had had we drafted Reggie last year and a QB in the 1st this year. Passing on Reggie Bush is hardly the base of the problem, he's not even the best running back on his team. Domanick Williams not working out was not the FO's fault, they stuck with him to make sure we didn't let him go if he was going to come back, but him not being able to overcome his injury is not his or our fault. Ahman Green's deal is not that rough on the cap.

I do agree with his assessment as far as the OL and Moulds go. Is Schaub going to be able to do better than Carr did with the same OL and no real #2 receiver? That's alot to ask of him, IMO. We've signed and resigned some good depth along the OL, which has always been a problem, but we still have big question marks at both tackle positions and the center position. Counting on Spencer is a gamble, Winston hasn't had a full year of experience at RT, and Flanagan has injury problems. We need a #2 WR, and another starter quality tackle IMO, to give Schaub a fair chance at success.

It seems as though most people in the Houston media are praising the trade, while everyone outside of Houston is panning it. That's been the norm for us the last couple years. I think Schaub could be a good QB, but I don't see us taking a big step forward this year unless we fix the holes that will still be around him.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #2
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: John Clayton on the Schaub trade

I wouldn't say everyone is panning the trade. The guys at the NFL network and Fox has been praising the trade.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Not trying to defend Clayton, but David wasn't going to cost us $8 million/year, until '08. We've got the next three years of Schaub for $8 million/year.

DDW was costing us about $3million a year. Green, $5million.

But so what. I believe Schaub will perform like an $8 million QB, and Green will at least be on the field for the $5million we are paying him.

If neither do, we'll cut them.

I feel bad about the DDW thing though. He was my favorite Texan.
Old 03-25-2007   #4
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

you know everyone has their opinions on this trade...i personally like how all of a sudden the texans are being talked about in the national media...some positive some negative...but i remember hearing the saying that there is no bad publicity...because as long as they're talking about us it's better than them not talking about us

i could care less what they are saying because soon they'll be mentioning how this trade was the spark that set off the fire that became the texans first winning season
Old 03-25-2007   #5
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

John Clayton

He almost always wrong.

However, for some odd reason, the folks at BSPN thinks he is some kind of football genius.

He writes opinions and that is all.

I will take the opinion of people who actually run a football franchise over some sports geek any day.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I wouldn't say everyone is panning the trade. The guys at the NFL network and Fox has been praising the trade.
That's what I read too. The O-line thing is a matter of what side of the fence you are on. Last year I thought the line was greatly improved, even with injuries. I also think it depends on one guy, Green, being your consistent runner and if Schaub acts different in the pocket.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 03-25-2007 at 03:00 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the media will not get off the Texans back until they're really good .

I guess if Reggie pulls a Pacman ... that will help to .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-25-2007   #8
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Me thinks that somebody in the Carr families has photos on somebody at ESPN, in there opinion Carr shoulder none of the blame.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #9
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Not trying to defend Clayton, but David wasn't going to cost us $8 million/year, until '08. We've got the next three years of Schaub for $8 million/year.

But so what. I believe Schaub will perform like an $8 million QB, and Green will at least be on the field for the $5million we are paying him.

If neither do, we'll cut them.

I feel bad about the DDW thing though. He was my favorite Texan.
3 million a year is quite a bit for a guy who doesn't play. I'll take the player for 5 any day.
Old 03-25-2007   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Me thinks that somebody in the Carr families has photos on somebody at ESPN, in there opinion Carr shoulder none of the blame.
The Carr's must have more dirt on people than J Edgar Hoover .

Round Dan
Old 03-25-2007   #11
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Yea something I forgot to mention is I think Schaub will make the OL look better. Carr never proved he could read/beat the blitz and beat man coverage so opposing D's could pin their ears back and blitz consistently. Schaub's supposedly great at reading D's and finding the open man, and if he can do that then we should see less blitzes, and our OL will have an easier time blocking. Factor in Schaub's greater pocket awareness and Green's pass protection ability, and our OL will probably look improved next year.

I've heard that Fox sports has given the trade a thumbs up, who said what about it on the NFL Network?
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #12
TexansSB07
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 TexansSB07 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansSB07 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83 View Post
This has probably been posted but on In the Huddle this morning Clayton panned the trade saying:
- Schaub probably won't do much better than Carr did.
- It all boils down to passing on Reggie Bush last year (that's verbatim I think, what a putz)
- We released Domanick, Carr, and Moulds and their replacements are going to hurt us in the pocket book.
- We still have a crappy O-Line that we've done nothing to change.

My thoughts on his comments:
While Schaub and Ahman Green don't necessarily have cheap contracts, they are much less than the contracts we would've had had we drafted Reggie last year and a QB in the 1st this year. Passing on Reggie Bush is hardly the base of the problem, he's not even the best running back on his team. Domanick Williams not working out was not the FO's fault, they stuck with him to make sure we didn't let him go if he was going to come back, but him not being able to overcome his injury is not his or our fault. Ahman Green's deal is not that rough on the cap.

I do agree with his assessment as far as the OL and Moulds go. Is Schaub going to be able to do better than Carr did with the same OL and no real #2 receiver? That's alot to ask of him, IMO. We've signed and resigned some good depth along the OL, which has always been a problem, but we still have big question marks at both tackle positions and the center position. Counting on Spencer is a gamble, Winston hasn't had a full year of experience at RT, and Flanagan has injury problems. We need a #2 WR, and another starter quality tackle IMO, to give Schaub a fair chance at success.

It seems as though most people in the Houston media are praising the trade, while everyone outside of Houston is panning it. That's been the norm for us the last couple years. I think Schaub could be a good QB, but I don't see us taking a big step forward this year unless we fix the holes that will still be around him.

ESPN hates it, WE DID SOMETHING RIGHT!!!!!!!
TexansSB07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Had they not picked up Schaub, they would have almost certainly used a first day pick on a rookie QB this year, and maybe the top pick for Quinn.
So they've still got their other 2 first day picks and all of their Day 2 picks.
So they are basically out only next years 2nd rounder, which will be a very
modest premium to pay for Schaub if he's just a competant and
dependable and yet average NFL QB.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
3 million a year is quite a bit for a guy who doesn't play. I'll take the player for 5 any day.
Just saying that Clayton was right about those two.... the replacement for CArr is more expensive than Carr himself. The replacement for Davis is more expensive than Davis himself.
Old 03-25-2007   #15
bigTEXan8
All Pro

it never fails to amaze me how anti-carr some people are on this board. it's all good, but it's just funny to me. think about it like this: houston has gone almost as far as dubbing March 22 as "matt schaub" day...even though he's completely unproven.

clayton is right on half the stuff (i don't know the semantics about the pocket book line, and i still don't think passing on bush was such a bad thing). i don't believe schaub will do much better than carr. to me, the only advantage schaub has over carr is schaub hasn't been sacked 245 times (someone correct me if i'm wrong on that number). the texan's haven't really done much in the means of improving the o-line. i don't think anyone can honestly say that spencer and winston are improvments, especially spencer is coming off serious injury.

clayton wouldn't still be hired at espn if he didn't know half of what he was talkin' about, especially if espn could bring in some ex-nfl player to give more player insight. i also find it funny that most of the people on espn think that carr was given a raw deal in houston, and yet, a majority of the people on this board would send a moving truck to the carr household to get him and his family out quicker.
Old 03-25-2007   #16
potisyourfriend
All Pro

Rep Power: 1624 potisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just saying that Clayton was right about those two.... the replacement for CArr is more expensive than Carr himself. The replacement for Davis is more expensive than Davis himself.
How much was Moulds getting if he stayed around this year? So if we draft a WR then it may just be the same amount of money for the new 3 than the old 3..
My lame Z build
My lame youtube channel
potisyourfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Good way to look at it.

Schaub at $8 million- has a better chance of performing to his contract than carr.

Carr at $5 million- we've seen what he's been doing w/ that money/year. We are overpaying him just to have someone lying on their back in the middle of the field for half the game.

Green at $5 million- has a better chance of performing to his contract than Domanic.

Domanick- $3 million a year is an awful lot for someone who didn't play for us on carry last season and won't ever in the future. His injury was very unfortunate...but he may never see the nfl field again.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #18
A Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
The Carr's must have more dirt on people than J Edgar Hoover .
The only dirt J. Edger has is the dirt that's been on top of him for about the last 35 years.
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Texan View Post
The only dirt J. Edger has is the dirt that's been on top of him for about the last 35 years.
During his time Hoover was arguably the most powerfull man in America .

He had files on everyboby .

He had the same guy as his live in assistant for years ... Hmmm .

Round Dan
Old 03-25-2007   #20
Daonly
Veteran

Has Moulds signed on with another club? ok next question...
Daonly is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read