Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2007   #1
charlestonchad
waterboy

Default Atlanta Falcon Fan Feedback on Schaub

Honestly, I think you guys got gave us too much for Schuab, which is fine with me. You're still not going to be hurting or anything, b/c Carr is trade bait.

Pros:

1. Schuab is one of the best backup QB's in the game. He has shown consistancy coming off the bench and in his starts for the Falcons. He wasn't great, and he didn't win games, but he showed us he is accurate and has a level head.

2. He is young, so he's got a lot of years left in him.

3. He is a great face for a franchise. He's articulate and educated.

4. He has height, which is good if you don't have a great O line.

Cons:

1. You gave us too much. We were realistically expecting to get a late 1st and maybe a 3rd. But instead you let us move up, and get 2 extra 2nd rounders.

2. Schuab doesn't have a huge arm.

3. Ya'll still need an oline to help him out. He won't be better than Carr if he doesn't have time to pass.

4. He isn't very mobile, which is a downer if you don't step up your o-line.

And comments about Vick:

1. I believe Petrino got rid of Schuab b/c we are no longer running the WCO. All Schuab has known is the WCO. Vick has an amazing deep ball, and we are building our passing game to go more vertical. Schuab didn't seem to have much of a deep threat.

2. Vick has gotten us to the NFC champs in 04. Our defense and o-line has drastically fallen off since then, reasonably, so has Vick's production. He doesn't get many passing attempts at all, and when he does, our coaches wouldn't let him audible.

Good luck with Schuab. We're still gonna beat you this season
charlestonchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Falcon's Fan here, weighing in on Schuab

schaub is as mobile as any pocket QB in the NFL, really.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #3
VAFalcons
Rookie

Default WHO IS Matt Schaub ?

Congratulations guys, I know some of you may feel a bit cheated or you may be happy with the trade. But regardless, here is some information on Schaub for ya. Obviously over the years on the Atlanta Falcons message board we have discussed him and Vick many, many........many... times.

IMHO, your getting a QB who will feel right at home behind a Zone Blocking Oline, and has the ability to make quick reads and accurate touch passes. His is well known for his intelligence and is a quick study of defenses and video. He is a clubhouse favorite, and the players call him "Schwabie", when he is on the field everyone gets up and goes to the sidelines to watch, they simply liked the guy. Alot of the fans of Vick did not, but thats another story. His mobility is actually above average. Just take special note of his rushing yards.

Anyway, best of luck to you, ill keep up with him on sports center, but the Falcons are my team, and Vick...... for better or worse is no longer on the hotseat as a starter.

ALL STATS ON THIS THREAD PROVIDED BY :STATS Inc. Provider of Stats for ESPN, FOX, SI and others.
Matt Shaub is a QB with 2 years in the headsets and 2 years of preseason work as well as some game experience.

If you just include just these games below where he saw at least 10 snaps or more. He has a QB Rating of 91.76 and a completition % of 64.5 with 5 TD 3 INT . Notice how much better he has gotten game by game and year by year.

Matt Vs Seatle 76.5 QB Rating 63.6% Completition

01/02/04 (Rookie Season) Came off the bench.
Loss 26-28 22 attempts 14 completed for 133 yards. 1 sack for 2 yards lost. 2 rushes for 7 yards. 1 TD 1 INT.

Matt Vs NO 35.4 QB Rating 42.5% Completition

12/26/04 (Rookie Season) Started Game.
Loss 13-26 attempts 41 completed 17 for 188 yards. 3 sacks for 14 yards lost. 4 rushes for 21 yards. 0 TD 2 INT 1 Fmbl.

Matt vs Minn 44.3 QB Rating 35.7% Completition.

10/04/05 Off the bench.
Win 30-10 attempted 14 completed 5 for 39 yards. 0 sacks. 4 rushes for 56 yards. 0 TD 0 INT.

Matt Vs Patriots 112.1 QB Rating 52.9% Completition

10/09/05 Started Game
Loss 28-31 attempted 34 completed 18 for 298 yards. 3 sacks for 14 yards lost. 2 rushes for 1.5 yards. 3 TD 0 INT

Matt Vs Carolina 120.7 QB Rating 69.2% Completition.

01/01/06 Off the bench.
Loss 11-44 13 attempts 9 completitions for 110 yards. 2 sacks 12 yards lost. 1 TD 0 INT

Matt Vs Philidelphia 92.4 QB Rating 71.4% Completition

12/31/06 Off the Bench
Loss 17-24 21 attempted 15 completed for 175 yards. 2 sacks 8 yards lost. 3 rushes for 21 yards. 1 TD 2 INT

Matt Schaub's career #'s are 69.2 QB Rating 52.2% Completition (this includes all the one and outs)

His college resume is impressive as well.

Schaub was drafted by the Falcons with the 90th overall choice in the third round of the 2004 NFL draft.
College career
One of the greatest quarterbacks in University of Virginia history, Matt Schaub finished his college career with at least 22 school records. He played in a record 40 games at the quarterback position and finished his career as one of the most accurate passers in Atlantic Coast Conference history (.670 career completion percentage). His Virginia statistics included school career records for yards passing (7502), touchdown passes (56), completions (716), attempts (1069), completion percentage (.670), 300-yard games (8), and 200-yard games (20).
Schaub enrolled at Virginia in the fall of 1999 and redshirted his true freshman season. In 2000, starter Dan Ellis missed some time due to injury, but fellow redshirt freshman Bryson Spinner received the bulk of playing time in relief. After the 2000 season, coach George Welsh retired and was replaced by Al Groh. Schaub was the starter for the first game of the 2001 season at Wisconsin. Over the 2001 season, Schaub and Spinner split quarterbacking duties nearly evenly. The two alternated in some games, while in others either Schaub or Spinner received nearly all the snaps. The two quarterback system worked relatively well with both effectively passing the ball to receiver Billy McMullen, the team's leading offensive threat.
Spinner decided to transfer to the University of Richmond for the 2002 season, seemingly making Schaub the unquestioned starter. However, Schaub was briefly replaced by redshirt freshman Marques Hagans in the first game of the 2002 season against Colorado State University. Hagans was named the starter for the next game, against Florida State University, but was replaced by Schaub who went onto his breakout season. Matt was the 2002 ACC Player of the Year, 2002 ACC Offensive Player of the Year and first-team All-State Virginia Sports Information Directors Association (VaSID) as a senior. Publicized in the 2003 preseason as a Heisman candidate, Schaub suffered a shoulder injury in the first game of the season and did not return for several games; therefore his overall numbers declined in his senior season. He was the Most Valuable Player of the 2003 Continental Tire Bowl and was twice selected to the All-ACC Academic Football Team. His University of Virginia awards included the John Acree Memorial Trophy, given to the football player with the highest qualities of leadership and unselfish service, and the Ben Wilson Award as the team’s most outstanding offensive player.

Last edited by VAFalcons; 03-21-2007 at 11:02 PM.
VAFalcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #4
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

You can try to cover for Vick all you want, but he's a very average QB. The Falcons have never had back to back winning seasons, he's always had talent around him, and he has many years under his belt.

Maybe an new coach will help? We'll see. But I think Mike Vick's chance to prove himself has come and gone.
Old 03-21-2007   #5
texansfan1974
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestonchad View Post
Honestly, I think you guys got gave us too much for Schuab, which is fine with me. You're still not going to be hurting or anything, b/c Carr is trade bait.

Pros:

1. Schuab is one of the best backup QB's in the game. He has shown consistancy coming off the bench and in his starts for the Falcons. He wasn't great, and he didn't win games, but he showed us he is accurate and has a level head.

2. He is young, so he's got a lot of years left in him.

3. He is a great face for a franchise. He's articulate and educated.

4. He has height, which is good if you don't have a great O line.

Cons:

1. You gave us too much. We were realistically expecting to get a late 1st and maybe a 3rd. But instead you let us move up, and get 2 extra 2nd rounders.

2. Schuab doesn't have a huge arm.

3. Ya'll still need an oline to help him out. He won't be better than Carr if he doesn't have time to pass.

4. He isn't very mobile, which is a downer if you don't step up your o-line.

And comments about Vick:

1. I believe Petrino got rid of Schuab b/c we are no longer running the WCO. All Schuab has known is the WCO. Vick has an amazing deep ball, and we are building our passing game to go more vertical. Schuab didn't seem to have much of a deep threat.

2. Vick has gotten us to the NFC champs in 04. Our defense and o-line has drastically fallen off since then, reasonably, so has Vick's production. He doesn't get many passing attempts at all, and when he does, our coaches wouldn't let him audible.

Good luck with Schuab. We're still gonna beat you this season
Vick is running QB and will never win the big one. He may have a great arm, but he is and always will be a run first kind of guy. Vick will leave you guys the first chance he gets anyways he does like the fans in Atlanta. The Texans are a team on the rise, the Falcons are a team on the decline. Well good luck in the future, but we will beat you this year.
Old 03-21-2007   #6
CarolinaTexan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan View Post
You can try to cover for Vick all you want, but he's a very average QB. The Falcons have never had back to back winning seasons, he's always had talent around him, and he has many years under his belt.

Maybe an new coach will help? We'll see. But I think Mike Vick's chance to prove himself has come and gone.
I disagree, hes never had great talent around him. He had his best year yet last year with 3500 apy, thats 100 less than golden boy tom brady. And who exactly is he supposed to throw to down there? There #1 reciever is really a #2 at best on a decent nfl team, and you think defenses havn't figured out Vick 2 Crumpler? The falcons have huge defensive problems and only a handful of good offensive players. I am a panthers fan i can tell you vick and single handedly beat a team (see any nfc south games...). I dont think vick is unbelievable or michael jordan of football, but cut the guy some slack.
Old 03-21-2007   #7
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

vick has had more than enough talent around him. good line, good backfield, good enough receivers, good defense. he's not on some awful team, there are far worse situations for a QB to be in.
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2007   #8
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Alge Crumpler, Warrick Dunn, 2 first round receivers. Sounds like enough to me. And it's not like Atlanta's defense is slacking.

Sorry, he's average at best. Exciting, but not a great leader on the field.
Old 03-21-2007   #9
CarolinaTexan
Rookie

yes and they are a "good" team not great, your point?
Old 03-21-2007   #10
Atl Cav
Veteran

Rep Power: 2751 Atl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Atlanta Fan congratulates Texans

I have been a fan of the Falcons for years. Also I have been a fan of Schaub's for years as I am a UVA alum. He is an otstanding quarterback who still holds 22 passing records at UVA. It is not his arm or his athleticism that makes him effective. It is a Tom Brady or Drew Brees type of offensive intellect. Often you arent quite sure how he moved the ball as no pass was of any remarkable quality, but yet he succeeds. He never had a chance in Atlanta. As I am a Falcon fan I regret to say that some of us were excited about using Matt at QB and occaisonally moving Vick - a remarkable athlete - into different positions. But certain flocks of Falcon fans and the ownership insisted Vick was our best QB as they had placed their bets. As a result I feel we are looking at more .500 seasons as Michael lacks the instinctive feel for the position. However, you Texan fans have a good one. Overpaid? Who knows. But in hindsight at UVA I think we rode #7's shoulders more than we realized at the time. I will still pull for Atlanta, but many of us want to see Matt do well as a Texan as he had to be frustrated watching the team with the quality of the Falcons lose to some bottom-dwellers. This post is not to disparage Atlanta but to congratulate Houston. I did feel the need to explain the few lame posters on the Atlanta site that praise Schaub's departure. They know this entrenches Vick, despite his unpredictable nature. They prefer Vick as a QB than a team in the playoffs. Maybe Houston can replicate the winning ingredient proven in the NFL that Atlanta seems to think is unnecessary: a consistent and reliable performer. Congrats!!
Atl Cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #11
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaTexan View Post
yes and they are a "good" team not great, your point?
I just don't think he has many excuses for not winning football games.
Old 03-21-2007   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

does a QB need to be on a "great" team to not suck these days? he has more than enough talent to not look like an imbecile each and every week. no excuses.
Old 03-21-2007   #13
shanden
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 shanden is on the Pro-Bowl ballotshanden is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

The simple truth is that if Schaub has even one probowl season with the Texans then no one will be talking about how much he cost the Texans to bring him in.

It will simply become a classic ESPN Top Five Reasons....Atlanta can't help but trade away future probowl/hall-of-fame quarterbacks show.

If Schaub is less then a serviceable starting quartback, we might fire a head coach and find our team exactly where it is now next year with 35-50 million in cap space. If Schaub is a better quarterback then Vick, Atlanta fires their head coach and the wailing and gnashing of teeth commences again. Way less risk on the Texan's side.
shanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #14
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

wow, us texans fans have sure become vicous, Texans known for their hospitality, now known for their attitudes. I know that having alot of loses has kinda pushed us this way but lets just take a step back not rag on people and see how this next year leads us.
Old 03-21-2007   #15
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

If Vick doesn't start winning games for the Falcons, they must let him go. I mean give him another 2 years tops. The NFL is all about winning and the guy just isn't a winner. He's exciting, he makes people miss, etc. But he's not getting it done.

It's hard for teams to admit they were wrong with a 1st round QB selection (especially 1st overall) ...

After Vick flipped off his own fans, I really don't want to see him succeed.
Old 03-21-2007   #16
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanden View Post
The simple truth is that if Schaub has even one probowl season with the Texans then no one will be talking about how much he cost the Texans to bring him in.

It will simply become a classic ESPN Top Five Reasons....Atlanta can't help but trade away future probowl/hall-of-fame quarterbacks show.

If Schaub is less then a serviceable starting quartback, we might fire a head coach and find our team exactly where it is now next year with 35-50 million in cap space. If Schaub is a better quarterback then Vick, Atlanta fires their head coach and the wailing and gnashing of teeth commences again. Way less risk on the Texan's side.

Nah... if Matt becomes a Pro-Bowler.. then the Falcons will be known for breeding Pro-Bowl QB's and you can get a bunch of picks every few years.. grin.
Old 03-21-2007   #17
CarolinaTexan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
does a QB need to be on a "great" team to not suck these days? he has more than enough talent to not look like an imbecile each and every week. no excuses.
wow so 3500 yds is being an imbecile and "sucking". have you ever even seen him play?
Old 03-21-2007   #18
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
wow, us texans fans have sure become vicous, Texans known for their hospitality, now known for their attitudes. I know that having alot of loses has kinda pushed us this way but lets just take a step back not rag on people and see how this next year leads us.
Message boards aren't for people being nice. People don't come on here to share facts. I like hearing people's opinions.
Old 03-21-2007   #19
VAFalcons
Rookie

Congratulations guys, I know some of you may feel a bit cheated or you may be happy with the trade. But regardless, here is some information on Schaub for ya. Obviously over the years on the Atlanta Falcons message board we have discussed him and Vick many, many........many... times.

IMHO, your getting a QB who will feel right at home behind a Zone Blocking Oline, and has the ability to make quick reads and accurate touch passes. His is well known for his intelligence and is a quick study of defenses and video. He is a clubhouse favorite, and the players call him "Schwabie", when he is on the field everyone gets up and goes to the sidelines to watch, they simply liked the guy. Alot of the fans of Vick did not, but thats another story. His mobility is actually above average. Just take special note of his rushing yards.

Anyway, best of luck to you, ill keep up with him on sports center, but the Falcons are my team, and Vick...... for better or worse is no longer on the hotseat as a starter.

ALL STATS ON THIS THREAD PROVIDED BY :STATS Inc. Provider of Stats for ESPN, FOX, SI and others.

Matt Shaub is a QB with 2 years in the headsets and 2 years of preseason work as well as some game experience.
If you just include just these games below where he saw at least 10 snaps or more. He has a QB Rating of 91.76 and a completition % of 64.5 with 5 TD 3 INT . Notice how much better he has gotten game by game and year by year.

Matt Vs Seatle 76.5 QB Rating 63.6% Completition

01/02/04 (Rookie Season) Came off the bench.
Loss 26-28 22 attempts 14 completed for 133 yards. 1 sack for 2 yards lost. 2 rushes for 7 yards. 1 TD 1 INT.

Matt Vs NO 35.4 QB Rating 42.5% Completition

12/26/04 (Rookie Season) Started Game.
Loss 13-26 attempts 41 completed 17 for 188 yards. 3 sacks for 14 yards lost. 4 rushes for 21 yards. 0 TD 2 INT 1 Fmbl.

Matt vs Minn 44.3 QB Rating 35.7% Completition.

10/04/05 Off the bench.
Win 30-10 attempted 14 completed 5 for 39 yards. 0 sacks. 4 rushes for 56 yards. 0 TD 0 INT.

Matt Vs Patriots 112.1 QB Rating 52.9% Completition

10/09/05 Started Game
Loss 28-31 attempted 34 completed 18 for 298 yards. 3 sacks for 14 yards lost. 2 rushes for 1.5 yards. 3 TD 0 INT

Matt Vs Carolina 120.7 QB Rating 69.2% Completition.

01/01/06 Off the bench.
Loss 11-44 13 attempts 9 completitions for 110 yards. 2 sacks 12 yards lost. 1 TD 0 INT

Matt Vs Philidelphia 92.4 QB Rating 71.4% Completition

12/31/06 Off the Bench
Loss 17-24 21 attempted 15 completed for 175 yards. 2 sacks 8 yards lost. 3 rushes for 21 yards. 1 TD 2 INT

Matt Schaub's career #'s are 69.2 QB Rating 52.2% Completition (this includes all the one and outs)
His college resume is impressive as well. Schaub was drafted by the Falcons with the 90th overall choice in the third round of the 2004 NFL draft.

College career :

One of the greatest quarterbacks in University of Virginia history, Matt Schaub finished his college career with at least 22 school records. He played in a record 40 games at the quarterback position and finished his career as one of the most accurate passers in Atlantic Coast Conference history (.670 career completion percentage). His Virginia statistics included school career records for yards passing (7502), touchdown passes (56), completions (716), attempts (1069), completion percentage (.670), 300-yard games (8), and 200-yard games (20). Schaub enrolled at Virginia in the fall of 1999 and redshirted his true freshman season. In 2000, starter Dan Ellis missed some time due to injury, but fellow redshirt freshman Bryson Spinner received the bulk of playing time in relief. After the 2000 season, coach George Welsh retired and was replaced by Al Groh. Schaub was the starter for the first game of the 2001 season at Wisconsin. Over the 2001 season, Schaub and Spinner split quarterbacking duties nearly evenly. The two alternated in some games, while in others either Schaub or Spinner received nearly all the snaps. The two quarterback system worked relatively well with both effectively passing the ball to receiver Billy McMullen, the team's leading offensive threat.

Spinner decided to transfer to the University of Richmond for the 2002 season, seemingly making Schaub the unquestioned starter. However, Schaub was briefly replaced by redshirt freshman Marques Hagans in the first game of the 2002 season against Colorado State University. Hagans was named the starter for the next game, against Florida State University, but was replaced by Schaub who went onto his breakout season. Matt was the 2002 ACC Player of the Year, 2002 ACC Offensive Player of the Year and first-team All-State Virginia Sports Information Directors Association (VaSID) as a senior. Publicized in the 2003 preseason as a Heisman candidate, Schaub suffered a shoulder injury in the first game of the season and did not return for several games; therefore his overall numbers declined in his senior season. He was the Most Valuable Player of the 2003 Continental Tire Bowl and was twice selected to the All-ACC Academic Football Team. His University of Virginia awards included the John Acree Memorial Trophy, given to the football player with the highest qualities of leadership and unselfish service, and the Ben Wilson Award as the team’s most outstanding offensive player.
VAFalcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #20
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaTexan View Post
wow so 3500 yds is being an imbecile and "sucking". have you ever even seen him play?
Does 3500 yards = winning record? Playoffs?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read