Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2007   #1
Pip
Rookie

Default Atlanta Newspaper: Wrong QB Stays

Thought everyone might enjoy this from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution--the editorial claims the wronge QB was traded to the texans.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/pr...sher0325a.html

Quote:
Wrong quarterback stays

By Furman Bisher
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 03/25/07

To get to the point, the Falcons traded the wrong quarterback. Of course, that's an illogical conclusion. They had no alternative. How are they going to dump a $70 million load on some other NFL team? The logical conclusion is that Arthur Blank and his franchise are wed to Michael Vick, and when an athlete's picture begins to appear more often on the front page than the sports page, it's a marriage in trouble.

Now, having said all that, you'll note the modest little line that appears beneath the picture of that grizzled old guy accompanying this column, that what is written here is strictly my opinion. The very notion that the Falcons could have traded Vick rather than Matt Schaub is preposterous. But it was a question of hanging onto the quarterback from Wahoo U. and losing him next winter. Schaub is a commodity. He is a quarterback in the NFL tradition, drop back, find the target, deliver the pass or hand off. Run only when under defensive duress.
Pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #2
WaywardTexanFan
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to WaywardTexanFan Send a message via Yahoo to WaywardTexanFan
Default Re: Atlanta Newspaper: Wrong QB Stays

You beat me to the post. Very interesting read.
Old 03-25-2007   #3
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

hey it's ok...there's a lot of people in the ATL that wish vick would have been sent packing and schaub was still there to be their guy...that's all fine and well with me
Old 03-25-2007   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

The most interesting quote I found was this....

One of the platforms in Vick's defense is dropped passes. The Falcons traded a first-round draft choice for Peerless Price. A bummer. Then used first-round choices to draft Michael Jenkins and Roddy White, and still the passes keep falling. "You don't see any wide receivers trying to get to Atlanta," as beat writer Steve Wyche says.

Now that I think of it, I don't see many FA receivers beating down Tennessee's doors, either.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #5
MATRIX
Veteran

Bet half the locker room in Atlanta feel the same.
MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

dont read too much into this.

I mean dont get me wrong, the Schaub trade was a great deal in my opinion, and I think its gonna pay dividends for us.

BUT.. the backup QB is always the most popular guy on the team. If your team struggles just a liiiiiiiiitttllle bit.. people will be asking for the backup QB.

You have seen it here every year.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I ain't seen Schaub do nothin' yet.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-25-2007   #8
Bronco Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 29 Bronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Bronco Texan Send a message via Yahoo to Bronco Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I haven't seen Schaub do anything yet.
Bronco Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #9
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardTexanFan View Post
You beat me to the post. Very interesting read.
There is no way on God's Green Earth to move Vick with his contract.

The only way out for the Falcons is if he gets injured and cannot perform. The way he takes off running, sooner or later someone will nail him.

I was thinking the water bottle incident would have provided grounds to void the contract, but there wasn't any banned substance in the false bottom.
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid Time View Post
There is no way on God's Green Earth to move Vick with his contract.

The only way out for the Falcons is if he gets injured and cannot perform. The way he takes off running, sooner or later someone will nail him.

I was thinking the water bottle incident would have provided grounds to void the contract, but there wasn't any banned substance in the false bottom.
No the only way out is the same way we did it. You cut him...that's your only choice if you do not want him on your team anymore.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #11
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
No the only way out is the same way we did it. You cut him...that's your only choice if you do not want him on your team anymore.
Well, the whole idea was to avoid eating the balance of the 70 million dollars on his contract. You can't trade Vick because no sane owner will assume his contract balance.
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #12
FalconsFan
Rookie

How can you believe this guy? He's older than dirt.
FalconsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #13
FalconsFan
Rookie

Oh, also, why would he say no receivers want to come here when Randy Moss wanted to come to Atlanta a couple of years ago? We signed Joe Horn, didn't we?
FalconsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #14
afcman
Veteran

Quote:
but there wasn't any banned substance in the false bottom.
That we know of. Wasn't there supposed to be video but somehow it went bye bye...... I don't buy the whole bling in the water bottle story.

You think the day will come when atlanta says, "we paid WHAT? and got WHAT?" After years of behind kissin' it's finally time for Vick to put up or shut up. But he's already got the money in the bank.
Old 03-25-2007   #15
MATRIX
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid Time View Post
Well, the whole idea was to avoid eating the balance of the 70 million dollars on his contract. You can't trade Vick because no sane owner will assume his contract balance.

Al Davis might
MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #16
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATRIX View Post
Al Davis might
Excellent point.

Crazy Al does stuff that defies the imagination!
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #17
JAXwithanX
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Now that I think of it, I don't see many FA receivers beating down Tennessee's doors, either.
Lol....yeah a rookie like Young should be compared to a guy who has been in the league six years like Vick on how well he can persuade veteran FAs (which Vick can't regardless, but he doesn't have an excuse....he even has a decent team to use). Yeah that sounds logical........................................... ..
JAXwithanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #18
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 3825 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Your point is well taken. He looked good coming off the bench. That doesn't say anything about what he will and won't do as a starter. I am hopeful that he will be a good one. But the Truth is that we just don't yet know. The proof will be what happens when the season begins.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #19
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNTLEWOLF View Post
The proof will be what happens when the season begins.
The proof will be what happens when the season ENDS!! Give him at least one year before Texan fans start assassinating him!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
The proof will be what happens when the season ENDS!! Give him at least one year before Texan fans start assassinating him!!
I hope for all of you decent folks in the bullpen it does

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read