Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-25-2007   #1
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A Texans-Sized Laugh

This year we got to follow, with excitement, the David Carr saga. Let’s summarize it for a moment:

David Carr is an extremely talented quarterback who has been surrounded by some of the most god-awful non-talents in the league. He's had one receiver. He's had no healthy running back. He's had a miserable offensive line.

But somehow—somehow—he's managed to put up very solid numbers.

His QB rating was a rock-solid 82.1 in 2006. That put him at number 15 in the league, or slightly above average. He also completed a phenomenal 68 percent of his passes—the very best in the NFL. Number one. Number fricken ONE. Better than Peyton Manning. Better than Tony Romo. Numero Uno.

http://www.bleacherreport.com/nfl/nf...-200703241111/
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #2
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1008 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Texans-Sized Laugh

He is no longer on my team. I wish him well wherever he lands.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spled View Post
This year we got to follow, with excitement, the David Carr saga. Let’s summarize it for a moment:

David Carr is an extremely talented quarterback who has been surrounded by some of the most god-awful non-talents in the league. He's had one receiver. He's had no healthy running back. He's had a miserable offensive line.

His QB rating was a rock-solid 82.1 in 2006. That put him at number 15 in the league, or slightly above average. He also completed a phenomenal 68 percent of his passes—the very best in the NFL. Number one. Number fricken ONE. Better than Peyton Manning. Better than Tony Romo. Numero Uno.

And we couldn't secure a 5th round pick from the teams that released Aaron Brooks, or Joey Harrington. We couldn't get anything from teams starting J.P. Losman, Alex Smith, or Rex Grossman.

Maybe... Just maybe those numbers don't mean what you think they mean.
Old 03-25-2007   #4
freedoggy77
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to freedoggy77

most of those completed passes were VERY short, like 3-7 yards
Old 03-25-2007   #5
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

Rep Power: 121 Line_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ah yes, and this directly contributed to our winning record. As much as I appreciate your effort to put a silver lining on David Carr, he not something that we have to candycoat anymore.
Line_Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #6
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
And we couldn't secure a 5th round pick from the teams that released Aaron Brooks, or Joey Harrington. We couldn't get anything from teams starting J.P. Losman, Alex Smith, or Rex Grossman.

as much as i disagree with the poster of this thread i also disagree with you. at the same time he did have very solid numbers those teams werent goinna give us crap cause they knew we would release him sooner or later. its smart business to not trade for him. just puttin it out there.
Old 03-25-2007   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoggy77 View Post
most of those completed passes were VERY short, like 3-7 yards
When the situation was 3rd & 12, and the defense was sitting on the first down marker.
Old 03-25-2007   #8
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:

Excellent point.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #9
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

posted by Breezer McBreeze a baseball and hockey fan in Los Altos, California.
Old 03-25-2007   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

DC never had the best talent around him, but it's hard to miss from 3 yds. and why don't you look at his yards per attempt/yards per comp.; YAC; TD /INT ratio; fumbles per touch ratio; sacks per pass attempt(not all his fault); etc...FWIW, it's now been longer since Carr's been released than the time difference between Schaub being aquired and Carr being released. Either teams weren't THAAT interested or Carr isn't that interested. It could go either way. Comparing Carr's #'s to Manninng & Brady? That would be 4 SB's to none and Romo has playoff experience(even though it ended badly) Carr only wished he had in a LOT fewer years. That sounds as dumb as me mentioning Gaffney and Foreman in other posts.
Old 03-25-2007   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTexanFan16 View Post
as much as i disagree with the poster of this thread i also disagree with you. at the same time he did have very solid numbers those teams werent goinna give us crap cause they knew we would release him sooner or later. its smart business to not trade for him. just puttin it out there.
If I'm Oakland, Mississippi, Washington, Miami, Kansas City or any other team looking for a true starter at the QB position, I'd much rather trade for a player, than wait for him to enter FA, especially with the goofy FA contracts we've been seeing this year.

If I'm looking for a starting QB, $5 million/year would be the price range I'm looking to spend. That's what Garcia signed for, that's what Brad Johnson signed for. David being much younger, if he were that caliber of player, it would be a steal to be able to sign him, and just pick up his contract(the Texans have already payed his signing bonus).

The only way I'd let him get to free agency, is if I don't think he's a starting QB, and don't want to pay him $5.75million in '07, and $6million in '08.
Old 03-25-2007   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

That article was dumb.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #13
TexaninDenver
Rookie

Quote:
If I'm Oakland, Mississippi, Washington, Miami, Kansas City or any other team looking for a true starter at the QB position, I'd much rather trade for a player, than wait for him to enter FA, especially with the goofy FA contracts we've been seeing this year.

If I'm looking for a starting QB, $5 million/year would be the price range I'm looking to spend. That's what Garcia signed for, that's what Brad Johnson signed for. David being much younger, if he were that caliber of player, it would be a steal to be able to sign him, and just pick up his contract(the Texans have already payed his signing bonus).

The only way I'd let him get to free agency, is if I don't think he's a starting QB, and don't want to pay him $5.75million in '07, and $6million in '08.
I wholeheartedly agree. He should go to Mississippi's NFL team.
TexaninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #14
MATRIX
Veteran

I have a feling he will be headed in an unlikely direction, not far from here.

Atlanta

They need a back up, and mabe with that line and 1yr, they tire of Vick(as they shold of longago) and insert a new Carr who knows he won't bekilled every 3rd snap.

Thats my opinion,but it is logical.
MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #15
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I think LaDanian Tomlinson threw as many TDs as Carr did the last 10 games.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATRIX View Post
I have a feling he will be headed in an unlikely direction, not far from here.

Atlanta

They need a back up, and mabe with that line and 1yr, they tire of Vick(as they shold of longago) and insert a new Carr who knows he won't bekilled every 3rd snap.

Thats my opinion,but it is logical.
They've signed Chris Redman as a backup QB.

So...

People can complain about our Bronco and Packer cast-offs but in Atlanta, Petrino is gathering up a bunch of his old Louisville players. I don't think that's going to work out as well.

But.

I could be wrong.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #17
JAXwithanX
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
I think LaDanian Tomlinson threw as many TDs as Carr did the last 10 games.
Lol. That was pretty good.
JAXwithanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #18
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Man, you are right. The market is hot for Carr right now. The Texans are idiots.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

much of carr's stats are inflated because of 'what plays were run in certain situations'. lots of short routes for easy completion and quick to get off..not a lot of 5-7 step drops...he had to get it out in 2 seconds. some of his stats were during garbage time when the defense was playing prevent D and let carr have easy 5 yard gains.

i think a VERY big part of why we didn't trade carr was his salary. other teams were not willing to take a risk in having Carr as their starter for $6 million a year.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

much of carr's stats are inflated because of 'what plays were run in certain situations'. lots of short routes for easy completion and quick to get off..not a lot of 5-7 step drops...he had to get it out in 2 seconds. some of his stats were during garbage time when the defense was playing prevent D and let carr have easy 5 yard gains.

i think a VERY big part of why we didn't trade carr was his salary. other teams were not willing to take a risk in having Carr as their starter for $6 million a year.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read