Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-24-2007   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The No Fun League is at it again...

NFL | Committee will propose penalizing players who spike the ball
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:30:23 -0700

Chris Pika, of AtlantaFalcons.com, reports the NFL's Competition Committee will propose penalizing players who spike or throw the ball after plays on the field. Touchdowns will not be subject to the proposed five-yard penalty. " This is an issue that has really shown itself in the last two years where it seems like every play -- whether a three-yard gain or a 15-yarder -- results in a player stepping up and spiking the ball," Atlanta Falcons general manager and committee co-chairman Rich McKay said. If a player spiked the ball after gaining a first down, the ball would be moved back five yards but it will still be first-and-10.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #2
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The No Fun League is at it again...

The might as well wear a suit and tie while playing.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #3
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I may be in the minority here, but I think it is a well deserved penalty. There's too much fluff for just good plays.

TD celebrations, sure! First down celebrations after breaking a 12 yard run....ridiculous.
Old 03-24-2007   #4
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

What the NFL really needs is a Mutaween armed with kendo sticks. Then you can have the penalty without the loss of fun.

Any time a WR throws his arm out after a first down, BAM out they come to beat the crap out of em' for impersonating NFL officials and mocking the law.
Old 03-24-2007   #5
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I happen to agree with this rule. I think players make too much out of making a first down play or batting down a ball or whatever. It seems like every play is being celebrated unnecessarily by player who just want to draw attention to themselves. Now, if it's a touchdown I want to see some emotion from the players and I want to see them having fun doing their job. But I agree spiking the ball after making a "regular" play should not be allowed. Once in a while maybe but not every play.
Old 03-24-2007   #6
gsbtxn
Veteran

If they do this, they better do away with the Ballin' of the Michael Strahan and that seizure that Shawne "Roids" Merriman has after he touches anyone on the offense.
Adoptor of Eric Winston #73
gsbtxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Silver Oak is on the right track IMO. I'm the first one in line to gripe about how the NFL has taken some things too far but an ordinary play or even a good play in a drive is just that, one play. I think it's silly when a player spikes a ball after a 6 yard gain or jumps up and does some stupid little "signature move" after making a tackle for a loss. gsbtxn is 100% correct about it going both ways.
Old 03-24-2007   #8
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

good rule..stops players looking like dumbasses anyway
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #9
jvaldez1984
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbtxn View Post
If they do this, they better do away with the Ballin' of the Michael Strahan and that seizure that Shawne "Roids" Merriman has after he touches anyone on the offense.

"ballin'" seemed to be the theme in '06. i vote for the '07 theme to be "bowlin'"...everyone should air bowl a strike capped off with a tiger woods fist pump! maybe then players will see how ridiculous they look and just play football!
jvaldez1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #10
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL needs to change defensive pass interference from a spot foul to a 15 yard penalty. Makes no sense why Albert Haynesworth can stomp a guy in the head and the Titans only get a 15 yard penalty while a cornerback could interfere with a guy trying to make a catch and that penalty is determined at the spot of the foul. I hate that rule. They need to change overtime too. Make it where every team gets at least one chance. Like in college.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #11
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35118 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
The NFL needs to change defensive pass interference from a spot foul to a 15 yard penalty. Makes no sense why Albert Haynesworth can stomp a guy in the head and the Titans only get a 15 yard penalty while a cornerback could interfere with a guy trying to make a catch and that penalty is determined at the spot of the foul. I hate that rule. They need to change overtime too. Make it where every team gets at least one chance. Like in college.
I dont think they should mess with that rule...corners would commit the penalty on purpose if they know they would get beat...i dont think Andre and Matt would like that rule change....
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

good.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #13
NederlandTexan
Veteran

Good rule....now BSPN may actually have to show game highlights, instead of some clown actin' a fool for doing his job.
Old 03-25-2007   #14
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I agree with both points.

The OT rule is being looked at I think I read or heard. Having them kick from the 35 yd line vastly increases the chance for a touchback, so the ball starts on the 20 instead of the coin toss winners bringing it out to the 40 or so and only having to move the ball a little in order to get the FG attempt.
Old 03-25-2007   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Spiking the ball after a 1st down run? Stupid

Celebrating after a sack? OK by me

Offenses are over glorified in the NFL. Football teams have two halves. Why should the offenses be the only side that can celebrate?

I think a defensive player that makes an interception or sacks the QB or forces a safety should be allowed to celebrate in the same way that a running back who runs 1 yard straight ahead is allowed
Old 03-25-2007   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
I agree with both points.

The OT rule is being looked at I think I read or heard. Having them kick from the 35 yd line vastly increases the chance for a touchback, so the ball starts on the 20 instead of the coin toss winners bringing it out to the 40 or so and only having to move the ball a little in order to get the FG attempt.
The Pass interference rule is tricky. I mean, if you know you're beat for a 40 yard gain why wouldn't you just tackle the guy prematurely if there was only a 15 yarder involved?
Old 03-25-2007   #17
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
The Pass interference rule is tricky. I mean, if you know you're beat for a 40 yard gain why wouldn't you just tackle the guy prematurely if there was only a 15 yarder involved?
agred 100%..leave it the way it is- just try and make the officials use it in the right circumstances ie. no soft PI's
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read