Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-28-2004   #41
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Well i guess AJ better start snorting that stuff so he can be as good as Jimmy. Yeah you have a way better cast of recievers like,,,,hmmmm ok ok so i dont know any of their names ! It's not my fault ,,,i mean i'm sure byron will have a few completions of over 25 yards sunday D. Robinson should have a good day catching them for him. We'll see who has the better recieving core on sunday !!! And i always love to say i told ya so
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004   #42
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson98
P.S. Just because Jimmy has a better supporting cast of WR's doesn't take anything away from his skills..
Let's see here:

David Carr 6 games: 29 passes 20+ yds and 3 passes 40+ yds
Byron Leftwich 7 games: 19 passes 20+ and 4 passes 40+

Jimmy Smith 7 games: 11 rec 20+ and 3 rec 40+--586 total yards, 3.3 yards after catch, 24 1st downs and 2 TD's
Andre Johnson 6 games: 10 rec 20+ and 2 rec 40+--591 total yards, 8.2 yards after catch, 26 1st downs and 4 TD's

Well looking just at the QB's it would appear pretty inarguable that Carr has been getting it down field more than Leftwich so far this year. As for better supporting cast, Jimmy Smith accounts for 55% of Leftwich's 20+ yard tosses and 75% of his 40+ yard passes. In contrast, AJ while racking up more total yards in fewer games only accounts for 34% of Carr's 20+ yard passes and 66% of his 40+ passes. Seems to me it is obvious that while AJ has out-performed Smith individually his teammates have stepped up and played more of a share of Carr's long ball game than Smith's teammates have for Leftwich.
Old 10-29-2004   #43
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
every other team we've played this year
Yeah, all those "great" defensive secondaries you've faced. Indy twice, Buffalo, KC, SD... <rollseyes>
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004   #44
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Quote:
That's just what the fans of every other team we've played this year has said...

P.S. Just because Jimmy has a better supporting cast of WR's doesn't take anything away from his skills.. Byron has been spreding the ball around a lot, you just never know who will catch the ball next... and talk to me 11 yrs down the road to see if AJ can still put up numbers... Jimmy just moved up to 13 on the all time list... and still has game..

Are you sure we should look you up in 11 yrs or could it be 10 or 9 years?
Old 10-29-2004   #45
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice stats Infantry. betcha money that the jags fans still find some way to "down play" it though .

So far.. every time ive proved them wrong with factual information.. they have fallen back to "oh yah, well we are 5 and 2"

Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004   #46
TsJagman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile
Good stat! I'm glad to see he's leading the league in something other than "games missed due to drug suspensions" this year. Could've been embarrassing if the guy tried to snort up one of the yard lines during the game.

Seriously, Jimmy'll get his catches on Sunday (and I AM actually glad he got his act together). He's a phenomenal talent. But we all should know which QB leads the league in COMPLETIONS of 25+ yards. HINT: It ain't Byron, it ain't Daunte, and it doggone sure ain't Peyote Manning. It's the guy who'll be launching it over Jacksonville's secondary this weekend.
Drug suspension, wow, that's funny.

So glad the Texans are starting to field a team, not made up of ex-Jag players. So, how is Wynn and Payne again? Are they still limping, and how is TBo?

By the way, Marc Bulger still plays for St Louis. I found him with 28 complete passes over 25 yards or more. If I am not mistaken, or read the stats wrong, Carr has 21

Oh yeah, Grid, the Jags are 5 and 2, 2 wins at 'loud' stadiums and 3 and 1 on the road. You guys are what, 3 and 3, and 1 and 2 at home? Guess the Jags have the stat that means the most, that would be what, wins and losses
Old 10-29-2004   #47
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

if the wins and losses column had anything to do with who wins on sunday..then alot of teams would still be undefeated .. and you wouldnt have beat the colts last sunday.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2004   #48
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Which ever QB wins this game will be the Poster Boy for Young QBs.... Houston beats the "darling" Jags and we are half a game out of first.(if KC beats Indy)

Carr and Leftwich have each improved dramtically, i think the Jags have a better team right now, but our offense has a higher cieling than the Jags does.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004   #49
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

...a picture is worth a 1000 words ..

JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004   #50
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3474 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsJagman
By the way, Marc Bulger still plays for St Louis. I found him with 28 complete passes over 25 yards or more. If I am not mistaken, or read the stats wrong, Carr has 21
Thanks for that.

According to the NFL website, Carr has a league-leading 29 of 20+ and 3 of 40+. I think the discrepancy is that those stats are based on 20+, not 25+.

Quoting from an article that was the lead story at www.nfl.com yesterday:
"Carr has a league-best 19 completions of at least 25 yards. He ranks third with a fourth-quarter passer rating of 126.6."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7837160
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004   #51
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

For any fans of EA's NFL Matchup featured on ESPN you might want to check out this week's show. Ron Jaworski (AKA Jaws) will breakdown both Byron Leftwhich and David Carr in regards to the Jags vs Texans matchup.

I watched it, and this is what was covered:
1. Jags defense against the Colts - Hodge thought they were very disciplined.
2. Andre Johnson - Jaws thought he'd be a big threat
3. Texans defense - Jaws felt the Texans would be forced to employ more nickel and dime packages.

Last edited by texasguy346; 10-30-2004 at 12:30 AM.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004   #52
kuno
Rookie

this thread went south fast. Was good until it went the way of "I want your kicker hurt" and "drug suspensions". Why bring this crud up in a conversation that was good instead of some dumb smack thread,
kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #53
Jagsbch
Veteran

Rep Power: 46 Jagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up

Quote:
Jimmy just moved up to 13 on the all time list... and still has game..

He did it with Style too. A spectacular TD catch to move ahead of Micheal who was just nominated for the Hall. I think he will put on a clinic today. Jimmy is going to be huge today. The guy is simply awesome this forum is about to get schooled in a big way regarding who the man is this season. :hehe:
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004   #54
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsbch
The guy is simply awesome this forum is about to get schooled in a big way regarding who the man is this season. :hehe:
A lot of us think Smith is a Hall of Famer or a borderline HOF'er....so there will be a few who are shocked at Smith but not as many as you think.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004   #55
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsbch

This offense is getting better by the week, and to add to the assault there's our running game that is just getting off the ground thanks to the return of Kyle Brady. Bragging about trying to stop a QB who is on fire to less than 200 yards is Asinine. 15 straight completions in the first half last week, Byron beat Marks record by 4. Your defense is going to be in a world of trouble, after Byron quiets down the crowd early in the game.
Is it wrong that I laugh my a@# off when I read this?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read