Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007   #1
Daonly
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 38
Posts: 165
Rep Power: 10 Daonly is ridin' the pine
Default This is what we got for Carr.

A lot of people need to sit back awhile and take a deep breathe. We as fans need to start thinking a little more with some logic than what you may see in the media, other team fans, and hear say. As fans we don't get but maybe 5% of what a franchise knows. The Other 95% is kept in house. What we would have gotten for Carr probably would have made little impact to this club. A firm fourth round pick is all would we have to show for Carr; nothing more nothing less. Let's not fool our selves. How much punch a second day pick gets us in trade up value? Nothing. "Oh the Texans got that 4th round pick let see if they want to trade up to our 6th overall pick!"

There has been interest in Carr but not enough to take on his current contract. The Texans no matter if we trade him or cut him was going to have to take the bullet. By releasing Carr before the draft, it creates a lot more value in our 10 pick selection, than by obtaining a second day pick. A team like the Raiders, Lions, Browns, Vikings and the Dolphins are all interested in Carr and one of them should take a bite on Carr. If so the dynamics of the draft on top of the board should change; a Domino affect will occur, which would mean a solid top 6 player should fall to the 10th spot .Saving the Texans 2 million dollars and creating more value at 10 which should net us in essence a 3rd round pick for Carr. You may not see it at first to the blind eye; but we will see it when we have a 1 out of 5 chance someone in the top !0 will bite on Carr.

A player of the likes of Landry,Anderson,Nelson,Peterson, Branch, Willis, Hall;Lynch will be there. Not much difference between 8-12 picks. I feel the Texans are gambling that a top tier Player on the likes of Lienart will be available at 10 creating a bidding war. No matter it's the 10th pick in the draft it's much more about where a Team has a player on their board. If a Team falls in love with a player that drops to the Texans at 10; Then we should gets some serious attention.
Daonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #2
MATRIX
Veteran
 
MATRIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 176
Rep Power: 8 MATRIX is a team player
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

Too bad we released him then.

Nobody would take his contract, even the teams that really did want him. And he wouldn't ink a new deal. So, we released him, got no picks. But, can't say I blame the teams(other teams) FO for not wanting to pay his contract.

I bet he gets a HUGE incentive contract with whoever grabs him. Like 1M plus 1M if he pays 75% of the games and then more if he plays well.

He has to prove he can play or he won't get big money.
MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #3
shanden
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 78
Rep Power: 9 shanden is on the Pro-Bowl ballotshanden is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

I do not think this was the Texans strategy in cutting Carr. However, considering it was such an unrewarded classy move, it would be a fantastic silver lining if your scenario pans out.

It does make one wonder if the Texans want the Raiders to take Carr so the CJ and not Russell is the first pick of the draft. The same is true for Cleveland grabbing Carr. Possibly Minnesota takes Carr might have a small impact.

That would have a domino impact on the draft.

Imagine if Russell falls to 10. Or that Cleveland does not take AD because Quinn is available or Russell. One of the top 5 picks could fall to 10 under the right conditions, all becuase Carr goes to a team picking ahead of the Texans.

This means the Texans can either get a pick they would have had to trade up for previously, or they land the trade bait they need to be able to trade down.

While I won't count on it happening, it would be a neat thing to behold come draft day.
shanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #4
MATRIX
Veteran
 
MATRIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 176
Rep Power: 8 MATRIX is a team player
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanden View Post
I do not think this was the Texans strategy in cutting Carr. However, considering it was such an unrewarded classy move, it would be a fantastic silver lining if your scenario pans out.

It does make one wonder if the Texans want the Raiders to take Carr so the CJ and not Russell is the first pick of the draft. The same is true for Cleveland grabbing Carr. Possibly Minnesota takes Carr might have a small impact.

That would have a domino impact on the draft.

Imagine if Russell falls to 10. Or that Cleveland does not take AD because Quinn is available or Russell. One of the top 5 picks could fall to 10 under the right conditions, all becuase Carr goes to a team picking ahead of the Texans.

This means the Texans can either get a pick they would have had to trade up for previously, or they land the trade bait they need to be able to trade down.

While I won't count on it happening, it would be a neat thing to behold come draft day.

Cleveland is a lock to take AP/AD. He said it himself on 610 AM friday. They sent a STAFF to both the combine and his pro day to watch him, and they have been "intouch" since as he put it. He even said it would be nice if he could get here, close to ome...but didn't see it.

Wonder why? Maybe because Cleveland is already talking numbers unless the teams ahead of them take him...hmmmmmm
MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #5
gtexan02
Working?
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Age: 31
Posts: 15,701
Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

Quote:
A firm fourth round pick is all would we have to show for Carr; nothing more nothing less. Let's not fool our selves. How much punch a second day pick gets us in trade up value? Nothing. "Oh the Texans got that 4th round pick let see if they want to trade up to our 6th overall pick!"
Well thats just dumb.

Lets see: Houston Texans 4th round draft picks:

2002: Jonathan Wells (solid contributer for 2 years)
2003: Domanick Davis (if not for injuries is a top 10 NFL back)
2004: Glenn Earl (starting SS on our team)
2005: Jerome Mathis (pro bowl return man)
2006: Owen Daniels (starting TE on our team)


I would take almost ANY of those players in return for Carr. When did you decide a 4th round pick is worth nothing?
__________________
Drinking the kool aid
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame
 
Ole Miss Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,680
Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

every pick is going to be real interesting. Esp. Cleveland. Apparently they like Russell a lot too and may take him over Peterson.

For what it's worth, I was talking to my friend last night who went to the sugar bowl last year. He's a big LSU supporter and after the game met Jamarcus Russell. JR was wearing a Cleveland Browns jacket and had a Browns duffell bag he was carrying out.

No doubt Cleveland really likes Peterson as a lot of teams do. But you can't rule out the fact that they are talking to other players really hard. If JR is picked 1 or 2 it could be a moot point though...lol.
__________________
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #7
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame
 
Second Honeymoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 5,330
Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Well thats just dumb.

Lets see: Houston Texans 4th round draft picks:

2002: Jonathan Wells (solid contributer for 2 years)
2003: Domanick Davis (if not for injuries is a top 10 NFL back)
2004: Glenn Earl (starting SS on our team)
2005: Jerome Mathis (pro bowl return man)
2006: Owen Daniels (starting TE on our team)


I would take almost ANY of those players in return for Carr. When did you decide a 4th round pick is worth nothing?
please for the love of God, we were never going to get a 4th round pick for Carr!!! geez, just because some of you losers overvalued him doesnt mean the rest of the NFL did.
__________________
@DougVanHorne on Twitter (CardinalDoug)
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2007   #8
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran
 
yourfavoritetexan42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 25
Posts: 412
Rep Power: 9 yourfavoritetexan42 is a fan favorite
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daonly View Post
A lot of people need to sit back awhile and take a deep breathe. We as fans need to start thinking a little more with some logic than what you may see in the media, other team fans, and hear say. As fans we don't get but maybe 5% of what a franchise knows. The Other 95% is kept in house. What we would have gotten for Carr probably would have made little impact to this club. A firm fourth round pick is all would we have to show for Carr; nothing more nothing less. Let's not fool our selves. How much punch a second day pick gets us in trade up value? Nothing. "Oh the Texans got that 4th round pick let see if they want to trade up to our 6th overall pick!"

There has been interest in Carr but not enough to take on his current contract. The Texans no matter if we trade him or cut him was going to have to take the bullet. By releasing Carr before the draft, it creates a lot more value in our 10 pick selection, than by obtaining a second day pick. A team like the Raiders, Lions, Browns, Vikings and the Dolphins are all interested in Carr and one of them should take a bite on Carr. If so the dynamics of the draft on top of the board should change; a Domino affect will occur, which would mean a solid top 6 player should fall to the 10th spot .Saving the Texans 2 million dollars and creating more value at 10 which should net us in essence a 3rd round pick for Carr. You may not see it at first to the blind eye; but we will see it when we have a 1 out of 5 chance someone in the top !0 will bite on Carr.

A player of the likes of Landry,Anderson,Nelson,Peterson, Branch, Willis, Hall;Lynch will be there. Not much difference between 8-12 picks. I feel the Texans are gambling that a top tier Player on the likes of Lienart will be available at 10 creating a bidding war. No matter it's the 10th pick in the draft it's much more about where a Team has a player on their board. If a Team falls in love with a player that drops to the Texans at 10; Then we should gets some serious attention.


Jamarcus Russel just informed the raiders he doesn't want to wear the normal thickness of shoulder pads, therefore he is more likely to have an injury, so 25k is taken off his signing bonus. Because of that each team will pay their players in the top 9 a little cheaper, making our number 10 pick so much more valuable because you can now draft a team player and pay them less, everyone will want to trade up. I cannot wait to see this domino effect!

/sarcasm off
__________________
12/24/06 - Franchise Turned Around
yourfavoritetexan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #9
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame
 
HuttoKarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,666
Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Well thats just dumb.

Lets see: Houston Texans 4th round draft picks:

2002: Jonathan Wells (solid contributer for 2 years)
2003: Domanick Davis (if not for injuries is a top 10 NFL back)
2004: Glenn Earl (starting SS on our team)
2005: Jerome Mathis (pro bowl return man)
2006: Owen Daniels (starting TE on our team)


I would take almost ANY of those players in return for Carr. When did you decide a 4th round pick is worth nothing?
Man...good thing we didn't send our two 4th rounders to ATL. We have much worse luck with the second rounders, it seems.

__________________
HuttoKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid
 
Honoring Earl 34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Age: 51
Posts: 19,183
Rep Power: 190768 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
Man...good thing we didn't send our two 4th rounders to ATL. We have much worse luck with the second rounders, it seems.

Good point .... I think the assumption is all draft picks are going to be players .

In a draft if you get 40% that make it you're doing something .
__________________
I wanted to write something big .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #11
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame
 
HuttoKarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,666
Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Good point .... I think the assumption is all draft picks are going to be players .

In a draft if you get 40% that make it you're doing something .
Totally.

Man...I'm starting to think we should trade all of our other picks for fourth rounders.

"with the fourth round picks, the Houston Texans take....everybody."
__________________
HuttoKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid
 
Honoring Earl 34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Age: 51
Posts: 19,183
Rep Power: 190768 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

This is a list of 4th round Hall of Famers .

Fourth Round
Year Player Overall Pos. Team
1949
Norm Van Brocklin 37 QB Los Angeles Rams (Also drafted in 11th round -78th overall- in 1949 AAFC draft by the Chicago Hornets.)
1957 Sonny Jurgensen 43 QB Philadelphia Eagles
1969 Charlie Joiner 93 WR Houston Oilers
1974 John Stallworth 82 WR Pittsburgh Steelers
1976 Harry Carson 105 LB New York Giants
1976 Steve Largent 117 WR Houston Oilers

http://www.profootballhof.com/histor...raft/round.jsp
__________________
I wanted to write something big .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #13
NFLforher
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 674
Rep Power: 10 NFLforher is a team player
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATRIX View Post
Too bad we released him then.

Nobody would take his contract, even the teams that really did want him. And he wouldn't ink a new deal. So, we released him, got no picks. But, can't say I blame the teams(other teams) FO for not wanting to pay his contract.

I bet he gets a HUGE incentive contract with whoever grabs him. Like 1M plus 1M if he pays 75% of the games and then more if he plays well.

He has to prove he can play or he won't get big money.

Who needs more than 35 million?
NFLforher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #14
Erratic Assassin
All Pro
 
Erratic Assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 534
Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Lets see: Houston Texans 4th round draft picks:

2002: Jonathan Wells (solid contributer for 2 years)
2003: Domanick Davis (if not for injuries is a top 10 NFL back)
2004: Glenn Earl (starting SS on our team)
2005: Jerome Mathis (pro bowl return man)
2006: Owen Daniels (starting TE on our team)

When did you decide a 4th round pick is worth nothing?
That's why giving up 2 second round picks is so sickening. Second round picks are so crucial to building a franchise. Free agency just isn't cutting it and we have too many holes to fill to be giving up extra picks.
__________________
Apparently they don't teach you how to use toaster ovens in business school!
Erratic Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #15
QB75
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 484
Rep Power: 20 QB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic Assassin View Post
That's why giving up 2 second round picks is so sickening. Second round picks are so crucial to building a franchise. Free agency just isn't cutting it and we have too many holes to fill to be giving up extra picks.
But you have to realize, the Texans got a proven QB in the deal.
QB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #16
South Texan
Veteran
 
South Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I can see Mexico from here!
Age: 66
Posts: 309
Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

Didn't we get DeMeco in the second?

Basically, we got a first round pick as if we won a game or two more last year, and traded 2 second rounds for Schaub.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #17
NFLforher
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 674
Rep Power: 10 NFLforher is a team player
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB75 View Post
But you have to realize, the Texans got a proven QB in the deal.


How can he be "proven" if he's never been a starter?
NFLforher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #18
NFLforher
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 674
Rep Power: 10 NFLforher is a team player
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Texan View Post
Didn't we get DeMeco in the second?

Basically, we got a first round pick as if we won a game or two more last year, and traded 2 second rounds for Schaub.


DeMeco rocks.
NFLforher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #19
QB75
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 484
Rep Power: 20 QB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLforher View Post
How can he be "proven" if he's never been a starter?
Hey, you're right. Someone call Rick Smith.
QB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #20
NFLforher
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 674
Rep Power: 10 NFLforher is a team player
Default Re: This is what we got for Carr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB75 View Post
Hey, you're right. Someone call Rick Smith.


Why?

NFLforher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger