Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-24-2007   #1
wee_man082008
Rookie

Default Whats next?

Since the Texans released Carr and Williams/Davis, I am curious to what the next FA moves for the texans will be? Will they go try to buffen up that defense in free agnecy so we can go strictly offense in the draft or what? Also who should the Texans draft #10?
wee_man082008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whats next?

Dallas got Hamlin
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

What DB's and WR's are still available in FA?

Not saying we should take any of these guys but barring a trade down I dont see us finding a starter quality FS, CB 2, WR 2, and C all in one draft.
Old 03-24-2007   #4
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee_man082008 View Post
Since the Texans released Carr and Williams/Davis, I am curious to what the next FA moves for the texans will be? Will they go try to buffen up that defense in free agnecy so we can go strictly offense in the draft or what? Also who should the Texans draft #10?
Well list the holes and then try to figure out who's going to be there. They could go offense and plug the hole at WR2. Take a FS or CB and get started bring that
groups tallent on parr to NFL front line tallent. Top LBs will be on the board. Move down and try to regain picks to get Kalil and fill in the holes with the extra picks. Take Ombi's OK and improve the pass rush from the inside...options like the holes are numeruos. Pick your posion.
Old 03-24-2007   #5
MATRIX
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post

Not saying we should take any of these guys but barring a trade down I dont see us finding a starter quality FS, CB 2, WR 2, and C all in one draft.

I agree 100%, and don't forget Green is only the short term answer at RB(if he plays well that is). We may go after a franchise back at 10, someone like Lynch who is projected to still be their. They say he is more complete than AD/AP due to having very good hands(like LT). And AD/AP was on 610 AM yesterday saying he was pretty sure he wouldn't last past the Browns as they sent a whole crew to the combine for him and to his pro day. So, seems he will be gone if he isn't already when they pick.

I say pull a New England, trade the 10 for the 20some pick and 2 second round picks(recoup the loss from the Schaub deal) and stock up. That gives us 1 more pick than we had before the Schaub deal(an extra 2nd) or if you want to look at it another way, we get back both pcks we lost, this year and next(both 2nds) for Schaub.
MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #6
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post

David Macklin, Travis Fisher and Tory James are out there still, CB-wise. I wouldn't mind Macklin. I think he can cover just fine if we get a studly FS (Landry or Nelson) in the draft.

Not a lot out there for Safties. The draft has a bevy of them though.

Mike Gandy's still out there if you're looking for another Tackle for the O-Line.

Michael Myers is out there if you want a horror movie villain at DT.

We'll probably go with our current crop of C's unless we draft one.

FA Wide Receivers out there: Travis Taylor's the biggest name left. It was a pretty crappy free agent period for them. Restricted FA's include Patrick Crayton, Earnest Wilford and DJ Hackett. Probably looking at a third or fourth rounder on draft day.

I guess we're probably going to go into the season with a less-desirable player in a spot or two, but feel like we'll get some productive players in the draft again.
Old 03-24-2007   #7
wee_man082008
Rookie

I personally think we should draft levi brown at #10 just because there are a couple of WR's that could fill in the #2 spot later in the third round of the draft. If somehow we were able to deal to someone to get their second we could get the S Brandon Merriweather in the second.
wee_man082008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2007   #8
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Moulds completely out of the picture now? I know we cut him, but it looks like he hasn't signed anywhere yet, so maybe we could resign him on the cheap. Or maybe not....
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #9
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82056 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
Is Moulds completely out of the picture now? I know we cut him, but it looks like he hasn't signed anywhere yet, so maybe we could resign him on the cheap. Or maybe not....
Maybe I'm being premature about this, but the fact that Moulds hasn't been swallowed up by another team as of yet, indicates that the Texans had a good reason to cut him. He's more past his prime than anyone thought.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #10
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Maybe I'm being premature about this, but the fact that Moulds hasn't been swallowed up by another team as of yet, indicates that the Texans had a good reason to cut him. He's more past his prime than anyone thought.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, but then I thought it might have just been Carr's inabaility to get him the ball. I wish I knew more about the guy or had more info on him at this point.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82056 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

My view on the draft is this. Yes, I know we need another O lineman, a legit no.2 receiver, a ballhawking safety, another CB, and believe it or not, another DT. But let's be realistic here. We're not going to fill all those holes this draft, or this offseason for that matter. Unless a trade down happens, the 1st day of the draft will be to fill 2 of those holes. Don't count Day 2 of the draft to fill anything, other than get good athletes to play special teams.

I say concentrate on offense this year, defense the next . . since it was primarily defense last year.

As for trading down, that's always easier said than done. You got to find someone willing to trade up and give you their picks. Good luck with that!
Old 03-24-2007   #12
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, but then I thought it might have just been Carr's inability to get him the ball. I wish I knew more about the guy or had more info on him at this point.
I know Moulds mentioned that publicly, but apparently from watching film, Kubes saw through that excuse. I guess he came to the conclusion that neither one of them was worth a dang.
Old 03-24-2007   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
My view on the draft is this. Yes, I know we need another O lineman, a legit no.2 receiver, a ballhawking safety, another CB, and believe it or not, another DT. But let's be realistic here. We're not going to fill all those holes this draft, or this offseason for that matter. Unless a trade down happens, the 1st day of the draft will be to fill 2 of those holes. Don't count Day 2 of the draft to fill anything, other than get good athletes to play special teams.

I say concentrate on offense this year, defense the next . . since it was primarily defense last year.

As for trading down, that's always easier said than done. You got to find someone willing to trade up and give you their picks. Good luck with that!
Agreed: All great points. At least you don't have us marked dwon for a SB run this season. They'll have to pick their poisin. I'm in the Black and Brown camp now at the third and fourth. But if they go all offense with the first two picks, I'll be on board with that as well. I'm reaching with superior speed with a DB canidate and a LB canidate. I'll admitt that. But as you posted, they aren't going to fill all the holes this draft. Just rewatched the Sr. Bowl again last night. For the record...Joe Staley shouldn't be an option for this ball club.
Old 03-24-2007   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That'd be one heck of a contract. Since we released him..we have to pay him his guaranteed money still. then if we resigned him, we'd have to sign him to a new contract w/ more guaranteed money. So we'd basically be double paying him. i doubt he'd take a deal w/o guarantees.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #15
WaywardTexanFan
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to WaywardTexanFan Send a message via Yahoo to WaywardTexanFan

Next we resign LEACH, trade down our first round pick and pick up a 2nd and maybe another 3rd. WR are deep in this draft. IMO.
WaywardTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #16
shanden
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 shanden is on the Pro-Bowl ballotshanden is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I agree with WTF

1) Resign Leach

2) Then draft time I would try hard to trade down. It would probably take Lynch/Quinn/Russell falling to 10 or some other player another team just has to have to have a trade down opportunity. <50% odds this is possible IMHO

If they can't trade down I would get best DB on the board or Okoye if he's still there.

If they can trade down then there is all kind of possibilities of going center, LT, FS, CB, or WR for value in the first round and third round.

3) Sign off June 1st cuts whatever holes draft leaves (this is one area the Texans excel at)
shanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #17
autch14
Rookie

i think we draft levi brown, kubiak told shaub that he would protect him. So maybe i'm reading too much into that but it seems like he wants to add another piece to the line.
autch14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #18
Koolbrz
Veteran

I think that we need to go after another playmaker. Lynch should still be there at #10. Green was a good pick up, but i see it as a quick fix for the position. All we need is for him to go down with a serious injury and we will be stuck with the same below avg. RB's from last yr. Yes i know, they turned it up the last couple of games, so what. We need a stud at the position that will turn it up and keep it going through the whole yr. not just a few games during the season. So IMO we need to ge Offense. Next yr. we can hit the defensive side of the ball.
Koolbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #19
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolbrz View Post
I think that we need to go after another playmaker. Lynch should still be there at #10. Green was a good pick up, but i see it as a quick fix for the position. All we need is for him to go down with a serious injury and we will be stuck with the same below avg. RB's from last yr. Yes i know, they turned it up the last couple of games, so what. We need a stud at the position that will turn it up and keep it going through the whole yr. not just a few games during the season. So IMO we need to ge Offense. Next yr. we can hit the defensive side of the ball.
I guess. I think we can do without a RB addition for this year, but if someone like Peterson or Lynch can be had, I wouldn't cry if we did draft one of the two. Dayne and Green both have contracts that are easily cuttable...Dayne probalby moreso. Peterson or Lynch could be great for us for many years.

Of course, I'd rather trade the pick and get MORE MORE MORE.
Old 03-24-2007   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by autch14 View Post
i think we draft levi brown, kubiak told shaub that he would protect him. So maybe i'm reading too much into that but it seems like he wants to add another piece to the line.
That's the way I see it, too. If Levi Brown is there at #10, I'll be stunned if they don't take him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read