Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-24-2007   #1
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Excited Already?

As a diehard Texans fan I know I shouldnt get my hopes up too high because every year it leads to disappointment. Last year I got pretty excited before the season started, with the addition of Gary Kubiak and our amazing draft, and I liked a lot of what I saw on the field as building blocks. This year my hopes couldnt be higher, and we havent even gotten to the draft yet. We made a big splash in free agency, and I expect a big improvement this year because of a year of familiarity with our new coaches and young talent.

I wont bash Carr because he's a good guy and there's no sense kicking a man when he's down, but IMO Carr cost us several games. Shaub is an immediate improvement, even if he doesnt turn into the probowler we obviously hope he is. Our running game improved with the addition of Green ... a former probowler who knows the system being added and we retained the rest of the stable (good move to keep Dayne). Leach is a monster and rounds out the rushing attack. We're hurting at wide receiver though ... any opinions on David Anderson seeing more time? IMO he's going to be a fantastic technical slot receiver. We still need a legit #2 though, but with Putz coming back healthy and the emergance of Daniels last season we do have targets. The line's still weak, but if Spencer comes back we're in working shape. Winston is able to take over duties at RT and Weary relatively emerged, but we're still weak on the interior ... I'd like to see a draft pick used here.

On defense I think we're only 2 pieces from being a serious unit. Last year we got Weaver and Mario, and I think that Kubiak found out that Babin can be the starter we need when given a real chance. Where we struck gold is with Rick Smith who was able to find young eager talent at the tackle position. We had SEVEN defensive tackles on IR last year, while that doesnt speak well in itsself, we did find a handful of guys who were able to come in and produce at a high level ... Smith & Kubiak will have a ton of competing talent on the D-Line in camp to choose from. One area we need to upgrade (i like an early second day pick here) is at OLB. Ryans is a menace and Greenwood is usually servicable, Barber can compete and hopefully we'll keep Rainer ... but we're still light on talent and athleticism especially in our interior zone defense. As for the secondary, I think we only need a free safety. Faggins IMO is a good zone corner, and I expect to see a lot more of Roc Alexander along with Dunta. A stronger #2 is a legit arguement, but IMO a ballhawk centerfielder will accentuate our current roster's strengths while removing their weaknesses ... I expect a first day pick here.

Oops, guess I rambled on the whole team, but with that breakdown and if we can get 1 or 2 starters in the draft (any of O-line, Free Safety, Outside Linebacker), I think we'll have one hell of a team next year and more than just a "contender". I really cant wait for the season to start, I'll for one go into it thinking we've got a chance for rings.
Old 03-24-2007   #2
VaBandWaggonFan
Rookie

Default Re: Excited Already?

Excited to see the least. The Houston Texans got their guys this year. We got the RB we wanted. A. Green was our first choice. And we got him. We got the QB we wanted. If we really wanted Plummer or Ramsey or Garcia we would have gotten them. I like the fact R. Smith is willing to take chances when he believes in a player.

Any1 who thinks next years team will not be an improvement over last years needs a good kick in the head...

Regardless of how "smart" you think you are as a message board coach/GM.

Go Texans...

One year with a 10-6 Record and Smith is GM of the year... and Gary gets labeled a "mastermind" by ESPN.

Old 03-24-2007   #3
jvaldez1984
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
but IMO Carr cost us several games.

There were 4 games that Carr had us in the lead going into the 4th quarter and our defense(our secondary) gave up game winning or game tieing TD in the final minutes. Matt Schaub is an improvement but we could of had that 10-6 record with Carr if our secondary could of held things down in the 4th. Address the secondary problem in this years years draft and that 10-6 is all but guaranteed.
jvaldez1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #4
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBandWaggonFan View Post
[cut]
One year with a 10-6 Record and Smith is GM of the year... and Gary gets labeled a "mastermind" by ESPN.

If ESPN comes out with this, in the wake of all the mud they've slung our way having passed on Bush and VY, I will diagnose a rectal-cranial inversion for all their talking head wagoneers.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #5
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

how can anybody who is a fan of this team not be excited...the fans have a new QB...our offense is actually looking like something a NFL team should on paper...and our holes on this team are getting down in number...we've added quality veteran players to help lead this team...and our new QB sounds like a leader...is it pre-season yet?
Old 03-24-2007   #6
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets wait til the draft then access the off-season. However, the texans have been very busy and our team looks to be on the climb to improving more than anyone could imagine.
Old 03-24-2007   #7
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Coming into every season I have been excited... and always have been a loyal fan...

This season I am not very excited. We will have one starting rookie, or i should say rookie who should be starting. We have a quarterback who is very raw and will need another few seasons to grow. We have two older veteran runningbacks who are ready to call it quits anytime now. Our defense will be exciting to see if they can fix this with what they have, because what they had last season is what they will have to work with this season.

I don't really think the fo did their part to make a winning team this upcoming season... I really think they are just getting prepared to build a lot next offseason, and then being able to compete in 2009.
Old 03-24-2007   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
Coming into every season I have been excited... and always have been a loyal fan...

This season I am not very excited. We will have one starting rookie, or i should say rookie who should be starting. We have a quarterback who is very raw and will need another few seasons to grow. We have two older veteran runningbacks who are ready to call it quits anytime now. Our defense will be exciting to see if they can fix this with what they have, because what they had last season is what they will have to work with this season.

I don't really think the fo did their part to make a winning team this upcoming season... I really think they are just getting prepared to build a lot next offseason, and then being able to compete in 2009.
I recommend Asiago, a 5 year Gouda and Manchego to go with that.
Old 03-24-2007   #9
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

YFT, you're talking about how the Texans haven't done alot before the draft?
Old 03-24-2007   #10
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
YFT, you're talking about how the Texans haven't done alot before the draft?
No, we have done a lot, but nothing that really looks like a good move. Ahman Green was a good back 4 years ago, this year I watched week in and week out him not perform, and don't say its his o line, because our o line isn't going to be an improvement over green bays. The two moves I am actually optimistic about is replacing orr with two veterans... I think that will help us out in the short run. We took a 2-12 team to 6-10 in one season, why not build on that team instead of dismantling and starting over? Getting rid of DD was the right choice, but losing Eric Moulds was a step back, and I believe that two second round choices and moving down two spots for a quarterback who hasn't proven a thing in the nfl, and obviously wasn't that highly rated coming out of college, is kind of...dumb? I would have rather kept Carr one more season while putting as much talent around him as possible, than getting rid of those picks that we could build our team, two retract our team on a quarterback who wasn't proven in college or the nfl. All I gotta say is Schaub must have been a hell of a high school quarterback or something.

I remain a skeptic on kubiak. He was a quarterbacks coach for two hall of fame quarterbacks. But he obviously didn't create elway, because he backed elway up and learned from him for a while. He worked under shanahan who is the actual creator of the offense in denver, the offense that has never won a superbowl without elway, the offense that missed the playoffs with a very stacked 2006 team. So kubiak takes a huge gamble with this schaub kid...he better hope that this kid produces, and produces fast, otherwise we will be looking for a new head coach ,and a new quarterback, and I don't know how long Demeco Andre and Mario are going to want to sit around and watch.
Old 03-24-2007   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and I don't know how long Demeco Andre and Mario are going to want to sit around and watch.
Even though they are more of your cohorts than mine, professionals do not sit around and watch, they make change and step up to the responsibility unlike the recently disposed.

Mario played hurt, Demeco played out of his natural position and Andre restructured. They did not sit around and watch as they act as they are actually vested and want to be part of our future.
Old 03-24-2007   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Oops, guess I rambled on the whole team, but with that breakdown and if we can get 1 or 2 starters in the draft (any of O-line, Free Safety, Outside Linebacker), I think we'll have one hell of a team next year and more than just a "contender". I really cant wait for the season to start, I'll for one go into it thinking we've got a chance for rings.
Nope. List the holes. FS, CB, true 4-3 end, ZBS center, DT. OLT...a legit young OLT not a back up, Tallent at Will and SAM backers, and last but not least...WR2.

Pass rush suxed last season, no one got there. They've done nothing so far to adress that. Because the pass rush was er, ....inconsistant, the DB play couldn't match up to front line NFL WRs. Sacks are down but there is no gaurentee that Salaam's legs are going to hold. IF Salaam goes down...they're in a hole unless the question mark that is Charles Spencer is locked and load by week two. And you've got two grey beards rushing behind a very sub par line with little or no depth. They are purging and building. Looks to me from my tree that hitting all of those needs and hoping luck holds on the injuries is a trip through the looking glass. So hello to the march hair while you're there for me. Rings ?
Old 03-24-2007   #13
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Even though they are more of your cohorts than mine, professionals do not sit around and watch, they make change and step up to the responsibility unlike the recently disposed.

Mario played hurt, Demeco played out of his natural position and Andre restructured. They did not sit around and watch as they act as they are actually vested and want to be part of our future.
I am with KT on this one. There's a word for what Mario, Dunta, and Andre did. It's called leadership. I know it might be a little confusing, given that we have not seen much of it. But, now, there's a new sheriff in town. And his name's Rick Smith. Ya'll be cool.

[OK, that sheriff reference is definitely gonna be lost on the younger set. ]
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
But, now, there's a new sheriff in town. And his name's Rick Smith. Ya'll be cool.

[OK, that sheriff reference is definitely gonna be lost on the younger set. ]
Never can get of enough Blazing Saddles. Edit, that would be 48 hrs and I just received Deilirious in the mail.
Old 03-24-2007   #15
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

here's another reason to be excited...jerome mathis might be healthy to start the season as our KR...the dude can change the face of the game with his speed and his vision

we didn't have him last season except for like 2 games and it showed

i really do think we can make a push for the playoffs if we stay healthy this year...we lead the league in injuried starters last season and if we can keep the majority of our starters off the IR then i really do feel we can do something we've never done before...win
Old 03-24-2007   #16
shanden
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 shanden is on the Pro-Bowl ballotshanden is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Last year I dreaded watching the Texan offense kill drive after drive and demonstrate they can't move the chains and can't run a two minute offense. It was painful. I was pessimistic and time and time again turnovers, fieldgoals and time of possession bore out what I felt in my gut. There was practically no playbook to speak of, not to mention no shotgun, 5 or 7 step drops, red zone offense, or audibles. The OL got wrecked by IR early in the year and Carr showed he could not handle even the most watered down plays. The epitome of unexcitement.

This year, I have hope that Schaub and the other off season moves gives the Texans at least a shot at making some sustained drives. There is a hope now with added depth and some added playmakers and a new field general that the offense is worth seeing to see what it can do, much less seeing how Kubiak actually intends to run an offense. How could that not be exciting. At the very least it has the opposing defense realizing they have more uncertainty of what plays will be called and who will be the targets.

Then you have Mario coming back from injury, so we can see him do his stuff and the realization the LB corps looks pretty decent. If the offense can make sustained drives then the defense will not have as much pressure and be on the field so long to wear out.

Think of how many games the Texans lost by 7 points or less last year, or that turned on 1 or 2 plays. It is exciting to wonder and day dream that maybe this year the Texans are the recipients of good luck for once. I did not have this hope for the Texans the last few years. It was dampened by the realization the offense could not win any games or be depended on for any scores/drives.

That is where the excitement is. Change means we do not know what will happen yet. And that is exciting.
shanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #17
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Given the dread I was feeling at this time last year, I'm not just excited - I'm super pumped.

Two weeks ago, I was painfully parting with 45% of the season ticket bill. The next 45% will be much easier to part with.
Old 03-24-2007   #18
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

YES!

Old 03-24-2007   #19
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm excited for the Draft to get here!
Old 03-24-2007   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
... and I believe that two second round choices and moving down two spots for a quarterback who hasn't proven a thing in the nfl, and obviously wasn't that highly rated coming out of college, is kind of...dumb? I would have rather kept Carr one more season while putting as much talent around him as possible, than getting rid of those picks that we could build our team, two retract our team on a quarterback who wasn't proven in college or the nfl. All I gotta say is Schaub must have been a hell of a high school quarterback or something.
Personally, I'd have liked to see Sage run the offense for one year. Keep
BVP just in case Sage is that bad... but have Drew Stanton(2nd round pick) or Kolb(3rd round pick) or Jared Zabransky(??) waiting and learning. If we weren't 4-4 by week 9, then start our rookie, and get him ready for '08.

But I felt that we were going to draft a QB in this draft, even though I didn't feel any of them were "special". I was even comfortable with the idea of moving up to get Quinn.

I've come to accept(like) the deal for Schuab, because we don't loose our 1st pick, and we're still in the top ten. AT ten, I'm hoping we get Leon Hall.

IF we didn't trade up for Quinn, I'd have liked to use that 2nd on Stanton. I'm fine using it on Schuab. Instead of using it on a QB who won't be ready(Drew Brees) for a year, we get a QB ready to start(having already done the things we'd have wanted our 2nd round QB to have done).

Next year's #2... If it's plain to see that Schaub is a starting QB(and not just someone with that title ala David Carr) then I've got no problem losing next year's #2.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read