Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-23-2007   #1
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How are the Texans any better on paper than they were last year?

From the way things look on paper, this team is no better than it was this time last year. Demeco was a great pick, but Kubiak has made so many poor decisions that I don't see how this team is really better than it was last year.

The team has basically the same holes as last year and now we have 2 fewer 2nd round draft picks because they finally decided to address the QB postion. They could have done that last year with the 1st pick and then saved all those draft picks and $8 million.

The best they have done to improve this team thus far is sign a 30 year-old back to about $5 million or so a year for 4 years, and then sign a young promising but untested QB for about $8 million over 6 years. That is not an improvement on paper so far in my estimation.

Kubiak is a treading water at best in improving this squad from when he got it last year, and now he has 2 fewer 2nd round picks and dropped 2 spots in the first this year.

That is why the Schuab deal is so expensive and has to pay off for Kubiak.

I wanna hear thoughts on how this team is really better from this time last year right after the draft.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How are the Texans any better on paper than they were last year?

I'm starting to think you are the kind of fan that will never be happy. You hated Carr and now that he is gone you hate the new team. This offense is totally different than last year with Schaub, Ahman Green and securing the line with veteran back ups to play behind our young Tackles. We have good Guards and a top young TE. The draft should address our secondary and we have time to find another FA.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #3
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
The team has basically the same holes as last year and now we have 2 fewer 2nd round draft picks because they finally decided to address the QB postion. They could have done that last year with the 1st pick and then saved all those draft picks and $8 million.

Hmmm...interesting. Why has no one else brought this point up before?
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #4
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

You forgot to mention that we could've draft Vin....

Oh, my bad, yeah ya did!

Where's the avatar with the guy reading a BBS holding a pistol to his head?
Old 03-23-2007   #5
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm starting to think you are the kind of fan that will never be happy. You hated Carr and now that he is gone you hate the new team. This offense is totally different than last year with Schaub, Ahman Green and securing the line with veteran back ups to play behind our young Tackles. We have good Guards and a top young TE. The draft should address our secondary and we have time to find another FA.
I want to be happy about things, but I am just very skeptical of this entire situation.

The way I see it, Schuab and Mario Williams need to have amazing years in 2007 for the Texans to have a succesful season.

As much as I didn't like Carr, they were were so far into thing, I would have been fine with playing Carr next year and continue to build the lines and defensive secondary.

This Schuab deal is make or break. I don't see how the Texans are going to recover in the short-term if his play is mediocre.

You have to agree with me that the Texans are addressing issues they basically said weren't issues last year and they pretty much still have the same issues from last year to contend with.

Hopefully, Schuab is that kind of player that makes the difference. If he is, Kubiak will be smelling like a rose. The Schuab deal is either going to be a steal or the Texans are going to look like idiots. It is a high risk move.

It was a gutsy move and I don't see how this team is better on paper. Paper doesn't mean anything, that's why they play the games.
Old 03-23-2007   #6
done88
Veteran

I can tell you this. When I showed up to every home game last year I felt like the offense was going to fail and nothing was done. I'm not big on change just for change. But doing something is better then nothing. Green may be okd but he rushed for over a thousand yards last year and was a very productive back. Schab has potential and we added depth at a few positions. The teams that get siginificantly better from one year to another are not the usually the teams that make the big deals. They are usually the one who address needs with available players. Football is a Team sport. The Texans have added leadership and potential. They have the best chance to improve in my book. I'm excited about this year.
Old 03-23-2007   #7
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by done88 View Post
I can tell you this. When I showed up to every home game last year I felt like the offense was going to fail and nothing was done. I'm not big on change just for change. But doing something is better then nothing. Green may be okd but he rushed for over a thousand yards last year and was a very productive back. Schab has potential and we added depth at a few positions. The teams that get siginificantly better from one year to another are not the usually the teams that make the big deals. They are usually the one who address needs with available players. Football is a Team sport. The Texans have added leadership and potential. They have the best chance to improve in my book. I'm excited about this year.
Very nice. I can't argue with anything you said.

You are basically saying, they have made some key moves and let's see what happens.
Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2007   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The way I see it, Schuab and Mario Williams need to have amazing years in 2007 for the Texans to have a succesful season.
Let me fix this for you:

"The way I see it, Schaub and Mario Williams need to have amazing years in 2007 for the Texans so that I will stop whining, crying and beyotching all the time about the stuff we gave up for them."

It is a team game. The team plays better, the team has a successful season.

Every choice has risk and reward. Every choice has pros and cons, including your preferred version of 2007 (though I have to say if the Texans actually did what you proposed you would still be whining about DC). Sometimes they pay off, sometimes they don't. You have to start somewhere.
Old 03-23-2007   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I want to be happy about things, but I am just very skeptical of this entire situation.

As much as I didn't like Carr, they were were so far into thing, I would have been fine with playing Carr next year and continue to build the lines and defensive secondary.

This Schuab deal is make or break. I don't see how the Texans are going to recover in the short-term if his play is mediocre.

You have to agree with me that the Texans are addressing issues they basically said weren't issues last year and they pretty much still have the same issues from last year to contend with.

Hopefully, Schuab is that kind of player that makes the difference. If he is, Kubiak will be smelling like a rose. The Schuab deal is either going to be a steal or the Texans are going to look like idiots. It is a high risk move.

It was a gutsy move and I don't see how this team is better on paper. Paper doesn't mean anything, that's why they play the games.
Ok...you make some good points and yeah, this Schaub deal is a make or break deal for this new regime. It's bold and it is going to cost us one position player, but if the QB pans out, the cost of one second round pick next year is not that steep a price to pay. I thought Carr was awful though. His last 40 quarters produced 2 TD's and one was in garbage time...it was time to move him out. Kubiak didn't want to get "Capered" by David Carr, the coach killer.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #10
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Poster's remorse.

Last edited by kcwilson; 03-23-2007 at 07:38 PM. Reason: I was being stupid.
kcwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #11
K.D.
Veteran

I'm not worried if they are better on paper but I bet my last $2 we are better on the feild. Having a young QB that's ready to prove himself, 2 HB's that know they can still produce, a legit blocking FB, revamped 0-line that finally has some good depth, legit pass-catchers(even though i think we still should address the WR position), a defense that is gonna be a force to reckon with(i really believe this too), and most importantly this team is still YOUNG. This team finally is going to be what we were expecting years ago cuz we have the right people in place to make this happen(Smith,Kubes,Richard Smith,Bush,etc). So if everyone wants to drag-ass about this team and last years team, you are really depriving yourself of what's about to happen in the near future. This team will be able to run 7-dropback pass plays, intermidiate passes, deep across the middle passes, PA passes that's actually gonna fool somebody, and finally a legit running game that's gonna command respect. All in all, it's really time to look forward and stop boo-hooing bout what was done and how it was done, but everyone can agree that something had to be done, so it's done and people are still finding faults and to them i would say, just remember how much this TEAM was F###ED UP!!! Peace!
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This Schuab deal is make or break..
What starting QB decision isn't?

But I guess I'm a little different about these things.

Pastorini
Stabler
Reaves
Neilsen
Luck
Manning
Moon
Carlson
Richardson
Chandler
Tolliver
Furrer
McNair

Those are all QBs I remember watching here over the years before the Texans came along. QBs come and go. If they do well they stay. If they don't, they go. I've outlasted about 14 who started at one time or another here and I hopefully I will outlast Schaub.

Schaub might make or break Kubiak and Smith, but not me.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #13
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Let me fix this for you:

"The way I see it, Schaub and Mario Williams need to have amazing years in 2007 for the Texans so that I will stop whining, crying and beyotching all the time about the stuff we gave up for them."

It is a team game. The team plays better, the team has a successful season.

Every choice has risk and reward. Every choice has pros and cons, including your preferred version of 2007 (though I have to say if the Texans actually did what you proposed you would still be whining about DC). Sometimes they pay off, sometimes they don't. You have to start somewhere.
Wow!

What did I deserve to get this kind of treatment?

I am merely stating my opinion just like everybody else on this board.

You are a little out of line here and making this personal. If you are going to get so upset, my recommendation is for you not to read my posts and please don't respond to anything I say. I know we have tangled a few times, but I think I have tried to be cool with you even when I find you just as annoying. I just gave you postive rep this week when I finally agreed with you on something.

As for Carr, I have never said in the past year they should cut Carr and trade expensively for an untested backup QB.

If you read my posts for the last few weeks, I was perfectly fine with Carr being a Texan next year as a QB so they could fill other holes first and see what Sage can do if Carr just kept going the same course. They were so far into Carr wasn't even funny.
Old 03-23-2007   #14
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Ok...you make some good points and yeah, this Schaub deal is a make or break deal for this new regime. It's bold and it is going to cost us one position player, but if the QB pans out, the cost of one second round pick next year is not that steep a price to pay. I thought Carr was awful though. His last 40 quarters produced 2 TD's and one was in garbage time...it was time to move him out. Kubiak didn't want to get "Capered" by David Carr, the coach killer.
Totally hear ya Vinny, I am just very skeptical right now.

That's all....
Old 03-23-2007   #15
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post

Pastorini
Stabler
Reaves
Neilsen
Luck
Manning
Moon
Carlson
Richardson
Chandler
Tolliver
Furrer
McNair

Those are all QBs I remember watching here over the years before the Texans came along. QBs come and go. If they do well they stay. If they don't, they go. I've outlasted about 14 who started at one time or another here and I hopefully I will outlast Schaub.

I just thought the Texans could have sit tight on the QB position this year and see what shaked out after 2007. There just didn't seem to be a need to go this deep in.

But, if it pans out, Kubiak/Smith are going to be heros, along with Schuab.

Just a gutsy move to make your team better.
Old 03-23-2007   #16
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow!

What did I deserve to get this kind of treatment?

I am merely stating my opinion just like everybody else on this board.

You are a little out of line here and making this personal. If you are going to get so upset, my recommendation is for you not to read my posts and please don't respond to anything I say. I know we have tangled a few times, but I think I have tried to be cool with you even when I find you just as annoying. I just gave you postive rep this week when I finally agreed with you on something.

As for Carr, I have never said in the past year they should cut Carr and trade expensively for an untested backup QB.

If you read my posts for the last few weeks, I was perfectly fine with Carr being a Texan next year as a QB so they could fill other holes first and see what Sage can do if Carr just kept going the same course. They were so far into Carr wasn't even funny.
Did I say anything that wasn't accurate?? I'm stating my opinion too.

I guess the way you wrote that last post got on my last nerve.

Why do Schaub and Williams have to have an AMAZING year to have a successful season? They are two players. Why couldn't they have okay years on a team that ends up winning?

And even if you were "perfectly fine with Carr being a Texan next year," you can't tell me you wouldn't have complained about his play.

Really, I have to say I agree with Vinny that you might just be one of those people who are never satisfied with anything. Please let me know if I'm wrong, but most of the posts I've ever seen you write are of the beyotching about things category.

Some people are just grumbly by nature.

I think there are ways to bring up concerns about the team without sounding like a perpetual strain of complaint rock.
Old 03-23-2007   #17
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post

Pastorini
Stabler
Reaves
Neilsen
Luck
Manning
Moon
Carlson
Richardson
Chandler
Tolliver
Furrer
McNair

nothing to misinterpret there. i agree completely. props for pulling Will Furrer's name out of your arse...
Old 03-23-2007   #18
clandestin
Veteran

Quote:
I just thought the Texans could have sit tight on the QB position this year and see what shaked out after 2007. There just didn't seem to be a need to go this deep in.

IF Schaub is the guy the texans think he is I predict that we will all be shocked by just how bad the QB play has been the last few years.

I hear where you are coming from--trust me the $k's I've spent as a season ticket holder has ingrained a sense of skepticism in me--but there is no doubt in my mind that a change had to be made at that spot....and that's the most important position on the field.
Old 03-23-2007   #19
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Did I say anything that wasn't accurate?? I'm stating my opinion too.

I guess the way you wrote that last post got on my last nerve.

Why do Schaub and Williams have to have an AMAZING year to have a successful season? They are two players. Why couldn't they have okay years on a team that ends up winning?

And even if you were "perfectly fine with Carr being a Texan next year," you can't tell me you wouldn't have complained about his play.

Really, I have to say I agree with Vinny that you might just be one of those people who are never satisfied with anything. Please let me know if I'm wrong, but most of the posts I've ever seen you write are of the beyotching about things category.

Some people are just grumbly by nature.

I think there are ways to bring up concerns about the team without sounding like a perpetual strain of complaint rock.
I just sent you PM, let me know. Just wanna make sure everything is cool.

I think the Texans have so much invested in Schuab and Williams, that they have to be. If you really don't see that, I don't know what to say?

As for Carr next year, I was going to start laying off of it because I thought sitting tight was the best route and you have to take the good with the bad.

As for me always complaing, I am going on six years of season tickets for a team that makes continual mistakes and blunders.

If the Texans make a serious run for the playoffs next year, I will probably be one of the biggest optimists on this board. But the Texans haven't showed squat in 5 years!

I am probably a bigger realist than I am an optimist.

I just don't see how this team is really better than last year. Not to say great things won't happen next year.

We'll see... I just don't see it right now.
Old 03-23-2007   #20
whiskeyrbl

Quote:

I don't think they could have sat on it for the mere fact the fans would have been out for a lynching at the first mistake Carr made. And personally I don't think Rosenfels is the answer. This is the start of a new beginning, we rid ourselves of the face of the franchise which is associated with losing. Maybe not his fault entirely, but nevertheless the scapegoat of it all. This is something that had to be done. I am not happy that we just released him but thats way things go. Give the team 5 weeks and lets have this conversation.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read