Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-23-2007   #1
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Updated Team Needs:

With the signings of Jordan Black, Jeff Zgonina, Shawn Baber, Danny Clark, Ahman Green and Matt Schaub.

And the resignings of Ron Dayne, Andre Johnson and vonta Leach, I have written out a depth chart showing glaring needs at the following 3 positions.

A #2 wideout.

An Offensive Guard.

And a Strong Safety.

Let me know what you think our glaring holes are now.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #2
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Updated Team Needs:

QB Matt Schaub sage Rosenfels Bradley Van Pelt
RB Ahman Green Ron Dayne Wali Lundy
FB vonta Leach Jameel Cook
TE Owen Daniels Jeb Putzier Mark Bruener
WR Andre Johnson Jerome Mathis
WR Kevin Walter
LT Charles Spencer Jordan Black
LG Chester Pitts Steve Mckinny
OC Mike Flanigan Drew Hodgdon
RG Fred Weary
RT Eric Winston Ephram Salaam

========================

RDE Mario Williams ND Kalu
LDE Anthony Weaver Jason Babin
DT Travis Johnson Anthony Maddox
DT Jeff Zgonina Thomas Johnson
SOLB Danny Clark Shawn Baber
MLB DeMeco Ryans DaShon Polk
WOLB Morlon Greenwood Charlie Anderson
CB Dunta Robinson Demarcus Faggins
CB Dexter McCleon Chris McKenzie
FS C.C. Brown Michael Stone
SS Glen Earl
Old 03-23-2007   #3
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

nice compilation. i could use a center, as it doesn't like we have a good one on the roster right now. my order of preference would be:

o-line (tackle)
defensive secondary
wide receiver
defensive line

i think linebacker can be staved off until next year. lynch would be interesting if he still there at mid round if we traded down.

hopefully smith is burning the lines on a potential trade down to recoup that
2nd rounder in 2007.
Old 03-23-2007   #4
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

#2 WR
CB
FS
O & D line help
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #5
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
With the signings of Jordan Black, Jeff Zgonina, Shawn Baber, Danny Clark, Ahman Green and Matt Schaub.

And the resignings of Ron Dayne, Andre Johnson and vonta Leach, I have written out a depth chart showing glaring needs at the following 3 positions.

A #2 wideout.

An Offensive Guard.

And a Strong Safety.

Nice break down, but FS is a weakness for us, not SS. CC is a SS, he lacks coverage skills and speed/agility. He's a SS that was moved over to fill a need. Other than that, nice break down
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #6
TheBestForTheTexans
Rookie

1A: I'd say we need a FS rather than a SS, or CB2 if we don't get a FS. Prefer both.

1B: WR2 is a top need

3: tackle instead of guard, because Winston or Spencer could play guard and were thought of more as guards at one point. I'm ok with the current guards now though.

4: Maybe a solid DT or DE
TheBestForTheTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #7
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Although we've made some good solid moves in the off season I still think this team has major issues. Issues that cannot be solved in one offseason. Obviously getting our qb situation fixed is a huge step forward but we still need good players around him. Defense still has a ways to go specially in the secondary. I'd like to see them get more talent in the secondary whether through the draft or later in the offseason. Also the defensive line is a big question mark. You have to expect Mario Williams to improve going into his second year and I thought guys like Anthony Maddox played solidly. But it's evident we still need good talent at the d-tackle position. Jordan Black was a good signing but we still need good talent at that position. I'm not convinced Kevin Walter is a no.2 receiver and we need to add a receiver. I won't be surprise if we traded down and drafted a wide receiver with our no.1 pick. But overall I think we've taken steps in the right direction. All we can do now is to hope that most of these moves we've made and yet to make will pan out and that we have a relatively healthy season.
Old 03-23-2007   #8
Caesar
Veteran

Anywhere that Weary is starting is a need position, so I'd have to say that guard is a pretty glaring need.
Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #9
Blake
MMQB

Weary could be upgraded at Guard.

Walter and Mathis are backups, and a #2 WR is a huge need that will be hard to fill in round 3+.

As far as safety, I think we could use an upgrade over CC Brown. He would make great depth, but thats about it.
Old 03-23-2007   #10
TXurias
Rookie

We need a ball-hawking safety. Anyone we draft in the first round Landry, Nelson, Merriwheater, or Griffin would be a significant improvement over what we have now. Somehow we need to trade down and pick up another pick. Then we just take the best ranked player at any position. We can use talent at every position. I'm excited about next season and I would loooooooooove to see the Texans somehow not have a losing season.
TXurias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if we can get a #2 WR , FS , and CB thats decent we'll be doing good in this years draft .

Next year they'll have some really good offensive tackles if needed .
Old 03-23-2007   #12
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I say our needs haven't changed from what they were when the season ended apart from now needing a WR2 now.

I see it as FS, CB2, LT, DT, and C no particular order... best player available.

I think Guard is actually pretty solid for is with Pitts and Weary. I would only think that we look at a guard if we shift Weary to C.
Old 03-23-2007   #13
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Which teams might be intrested in trading up for our 10th pick?

It would be nice if we could trade down and get a 2nd round pick in return, we could use those two picks to fix the two biggest problems: FS and #2 WR
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #14
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have very little hope for us getting a second, i doubt any team wants to move up that badly. But I do like the idea of getting more picks in the 3 or 4 range. I would much rather see the texans get a day 2 center field type FS for depth than use a early pick. If we could get a DE, WR, and CB to start every game that would be awesome.

Day 2 needs for depth,
RB, I don't think either Lundy, Taylor or Gado could carry the show if any of the 2 vets goes down
FS, see above
LB more depth is needed to with Barber as back up LBs, a late round sack artist would be nice
OG, Tackles are much harder to fine and I like the four that we do have, a late round reserve guard cable of playing time year to go with McKinney seems very realistic
TE, A blocking TE to eveuntally replace Bruener would be nice
P, Field position is so important
Old 03-24-2007   #15
Stros5Texans80
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Stros5Texans80 Send a message via Yahoo to Stros5Texans80

I think teams will try to trade up if AD slips to us. I would love for us to take him still but if that right offer comes along....
Stros5Texans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #16
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

team needs in order:

1. they finish the offense in round 1 with a #2 WR
2. the best db available whether that's CB or a FS
3. whichever db position wasn't filled above
4. add a pass rusher
5. i think this is a young LB to develop
6. OL depth
Old 03-24-2007   #17
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro View Post
team needs in order:

1. they finish the offense in round 1 with a #2 WR
2. the best db available whether that's CB or a FS
3. whichever db position wasn't filled above
4. add a pass rusher
5. i think there is a young LB to develop
6. OL depth
I do not see the Saftey spot as the same importance as the CB position. How can the guy who covers WRs one on one have the same importance as a saftey value who yes needs to be a playmaking but thier play is not as critical in the outcome.

Everything else I agree with, but I think RB needs to be added somewhere. I am not impressed with the current backups.
Old 03-24-2007   #18
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXurias View Post
We need a ball-hawking safety. Anyone we draft in the first round Landry, Nelson, Merriwheater, or Griffin would be a significant improvement over what we have now. Somehow we need to trade down and pick up another pick. Then we just take the best ranked player at any position. We can use talent at every position. I'm excited about next season and I would loooooooooove to see the Texans somehow not have a losing season.

Get ready!!!

Old 03-24-2007   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 262799 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post

A #2 wideout.

An Offensive Guard.

And a Strong Safety.

In no particular order:

* Free Safety - CC in coverage killed us last year.
* Tackle - I'm afraid that Spencer won't be back. I don't particularly want to go with Salaam and Black as our LT's. If we can draft a great LT and Spencer comes back then we can shift some things around.
* Center - If we can shift picks around and end up picking up Kalil without having to reach for him, I'll be ecstatic.
* CB - Dunta played his best with Glenn on the other side. We need someone talented over there.

* DL - We need more of a pass rush from our D-line. Now, we had a lot of injuries last year but I don't feel all that comfy even with all those guys.
* LB - I don't know that this is a HUGE need but I think we can upgrade Greenwood and the idea of Clark/Barber being used situationally to me looks like a weakness.
* WR - Need a true second WR. This might get fixed in FA somehow.

There is no way we're going to fix everything in one draft. So what's going to be interesting is the strategy they use to choose which needs get met and which get patched and which get ignored.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #20
AtheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
In no particular order:

There is no way we're going to fix everything in one draft. So what's going to be interesting is the strategy they use to choose which needs get met and which get patched and which get ignored.
prediction:
OT: draft (late 1st or 3rd)
FS: draft (at the 10 spot or mid 1st)
WR: team/FA (david anderson, kevin walter ok options. FA still has patten, Bryant in it...)
C: nothing (flanagan gets to start another year, hodgen gets some time too)
LB: nothing (meco, greenwood, and clark/barber get the starts, others sub it)
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read