Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-23-2007   #1
htownfoozball
Veteran

Default why go for defense in the 1st?

i have been pimping landry as hard as anyone...until we got schaub. we wont find a starting left tackle after the 1st round...does anybody get that? we've invested so much money and effort into getting a functional offense, we should just take brown and be done with it. we cant make the same mistakes as we did with carr and not build around him and protect him.

the receiver depth is very strong, so we could find someone in the 5th or 6th.

the defense is very deep, maybe not very strong, but it is deep. we should be able to find a starting DB in the 3rd and someone who can battle for a starting job in the 4th.

1 brown ot
3 irons cb
4 johnson fs
5 robinson wr
6 ryan dt
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: why go for defense in the 1st?

Winston, Spencer, Salaam, and Black. We have 4 tackles on the roster with NFL starting experience if Spencer can't play. Looks like we resolved LT depth with veterans to me. I'm starting to think we either take an edge rusher or a CB with our first pick.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #3
htownfoozball
Veteran

yea, if you think salaam and black are gonna save the franchise and be awesome starting tackles, you are in for a rude awakening. we need a true left tackle, not 2 backups.

even if spencer is healthy, i think i would take brown and move spencer to RT or RG. our line would be much much better than it has been in the past.
Old 03-23-2007   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfoozball View Post
yea, if you think salaam and black are gonna save the franchise and be awesome starting tackles, you are in for a rude awakening. we need a true left tackle, not 2 backups.

even if spencer is healthy, i think i would take brown and move spencer to RT or RG. our line would be much much better than it has been in the past.
They signed for back up money so I assume they will be 'back ups' and not saviours.

Old 03-23-2007   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I still think we need to give Matt some help on offense, and I think it would be a good idea to trade down and take a player like OG Blalock, since I feel we are thin at guard with good players. Also a 2nd WR like Jarrett would be ok with me. Or a stud RB like Lynch.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Winston = 1 year of experience and shaky at that. RT by all accounts.
Spencer = 2 games of experience and a potential career ending injury
Salaam = Clearly not starting quality anymore. Did great as a filler, but should not be our starter.
Black = See above. Gave up 10+ sacks last year on a team with great QB play and an amazing run game. I would hate to see what he does with our essentially rookie QB and aging Ahman Green.

Basically, anyone who thinks that Spencer + Winston + Salaam + Black is a great group of Tackles is being way too optimistic.
IF Spencer comes back at all, and IF he is full strength, and IF no one gets injured, I think we'll be fine. But can we afford to risk the health of our new 48 mil QB and a winning season on it?

All that being said, I think levi brown is a mid - low 1st round talent. if there were any other tackles around he would slip. Remember winston justice last year? He was prjoected to be the 2nd tackle taken and a top 10 pick, but bc of character issues he slipped.
Teams aren't willing to invest a lot of money into an "average" tackle. And rookie tackles seem to struggle anyway. D'Brick gave up 10+ sacks last year

To be honest I think its a lose lose situation unless Spencer comes back full strength
Old 03-23-2007   #7
real

I'm thinking we go DB in the first pretty much no matter what...

Our defensive backfield, IMO, is the weakest area of the team at this point...

You won't find a more rag tag group of guys...We have much more quality players on the O-line than in the secondary and it's not even close...

Honestly I'm thinking the Texans sit still and take Leon hall or Reggie Nelson...

If we trade back I look for Reggie Nelson or Chris Houston....

Can ya tell I really want Reggie Nelson ?

Last edited by real; 03-23-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2007   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I still think we need to give Matt some help on offense, and I think it would be a good idea to trade down and take a player like OG Blalock, since I feel we are thin at guard with good players. Also a 2nd WR like Jarrett would be ok with me. Or a stud RB like Lynch.
No way do we need G more than T, and no way do you invest a 1st round pick in G
Old 03-23-2007   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

Basically, anyone who thinks that Spencer + Winston + Salaam + Black is a great group of Tackles is being way too optimistic.
Why waste your two first day picks on Tackles last year if these guys are just gonna be replaced by more first day picks this year? Seems kinda stupid if you ask me.

Old 03-23-2007   #10
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I think it would be a good idea to trade down and take a player like OG Blalock, since I feel we are thin at guard with good players.
I was actually thinking about that as a possibility to solidify our line...but for different reasons than yours...

I think our Gaurds are fine...

But if we moved down, picked up Blaylock we could move Weary to center...

Spencer, Pitts, Weary, Blaylock, Winston

That'd be a great young group IMO...

Last edited by real; 03-23-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2007   #11
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I'm thinking we go DB in the first pretty much no matter what...

Our defensive backfield, IMO, is the weakest area of the team at this point...

You won't find a more rag tag group of guys...We have much more quality players on the O-line than in the secondary and it's not even close...

Honestly I'm thinking the Texans sit still and take Leon hall or Reggie Nelson...

If we trade back I look for Reggie Nelson or Chris Houston....

Can ya tell I really want Reggie Nelson ?
Add me to the Reggie Nelson camp. The idea of Nelson playing deep coverage in Battle Red makes me happy. I'd even take Nelson over Landry, simply because I think Nelson can cover better.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Why waste your two first day picks on Tackles last year if these guys are just gonna be replaced by more first day picks this year? Seems kinda stupid if you ask me.
Who said they were a waste? Winston is clearly being groomed to be our starting RT.
Spencer may have to have more surgeries. He can't even walk yet.
If you go on to read the post you'll see I said the only reason I would be optimistic is if Spencer came back and was at full strength.
At this point, there is no way we can be certain of that, and so i say we take an insurance policy on the most important weakness on the offensive side
Old 03-23-2007   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Who said they were a waste? Winston is clearly being groomed to be our starting RT.
Spencer may have to have more surgeries. He can't even walk yet.
If you go on to read the post you'll see I said the only reason I would be optimistic is if Spencer came back and was at full strength.
At this point, there is no way we can be certain of that, and so i say we take an insurance policy on the most important weakness on the offensive side
Why sign Black and Salaam if you are going to pick a T with your only one of two first day picks when there are 22 starter positions on this team? That means you will have taken 3 Tackles out of 5 first day picks the last two years.

Old 03-23-2007   #14
real

Quote:
Seems kinda stupid if you ask me.

"kinda" is an understatement...

I believe they are going to atleast give Spencer time to see if he can be our LT before they just replace him after drafting him just a year ago.
Old 03-23-2007   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Why sign Black and Salaam if you are going to pick a T with your only one of two first day picks when there are 22 starter positions on this team? That means you will have taken 3 Tackles out of 5 first day picks the last two years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
"kinda" is an understatement...

I believe they are going to atleast give Spencer time to see if he can be our LT before they just replace him after drafting him just a year ago.
Why assume that Spencer is going to come back full strength when there has been no definitive diagnosis yet?
Why assume that he maintains the same footwork, leg strength, etc when he comes back?

He has been off his legs for a year now, and there is still unsureness regarding hsi surgery.
Career Ending came up at first
Then we heard nothing for 6 months
Now we are hearing from him that he'll be good to go (sound familiar?), yet there are sites of him "limping around" with his knee on ice OR
on crutches

I think Spencer could be great. I think he would have been our franchise LT
But until I hear that he's coming back 100%, I am going to make sure we have an alternative.

Think of it like this:
If we assume Spencer is coming back, and he does, GREAT. We have 2 1st day picks to use on areas of need. We can upgrade DBs, DL, WR, etc.

If we assume Spencer is coming back, and he does not, BAD. We have 2 1st day picks used on DBs, DL, WR. Our starting LT becomes someone signed to be a backup.

Which is better? Is it better to replace CC Brown with a new S or have an insurance pick for Spencer
Old 03-23-2007   #16
htownfoozball
Veteran

i think people are still overlooking the fact that there are no tackles available later in the draft. are their guys with raw tools that can be groomed to start in a few years? sure, but none are more ready than brown to step in right away.

there are plenty of db's available in the 3rd and 4th that can give us a major upgrade.

LT Brown
LG Pitts
C Weary
RG Spencer
RT Winston

i'm gonna guess that Spencer's injury limits his mobility, so we can move him inside. weary was the top C in his class, let him gel with schaub rather than let an old veteran gel with him then retire in a few years.

CB Dunta
FS Michael Johnson or Roderick Rogers
SS Earl
CB David Irons or Josh Wilson
Old 03-23-2007   #17
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfoozball View Post
i have been pimping landry as hard as anyone...until we got schaub. we wont find a starting left tackle after the 1st round...does anybody get that? we've invested so much money and effort into getting a functional offense, we should just take brown and be done with it. we cant make the same mistakes as we did with carr and not build around him and protect him.

the receiver depth is very strong, so we could find someone in the 5th or 6th.

the defense is very deep, maybe not very strong, but it is deep. we should be able to find a starting DB in the 3rd and someone who can battle for a starting job in the 4th.

1 brown ot
3 irons cb
4 johnson fs
5 robinson wr
6 ryan dt

U Sound like me & my train of thought after the trade only i was thinking WR instead of Tackle. Landry is my guy & i won't be disappointed if we go defense but now that we have schaub & have backed up our LT for days, i'm thinking we need to go WR to give this guy some weapons to throw to. I haven't talked much about WR's in here on the draft but the ONLY guys i'd be interested in are:

D. Bowe (Lol) Meachem & possibly S. Smith & Jarrett. Ginn jr. just seems too fragile to me.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #18
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

There's alot of ways we can go with this pick if we sit on it. Im in the trade down camp currently BECAUSE there are so many ways we can go with this pick.

# 2 WR

# 2 CB

FS

OL

DL
That's what I think the Texans are targeting in this draft, not necessarily in that order. If we stay at 10, it will all depend on who the team thinks is the best fit. Im hoping we trade down though to get extra picks because when I look at that list of needs I see extra picks that can fill those needs.
Old 03-23-2007   #19
Gamehorn25
Veteran

Who is going to be our Starting C? We have 3 backups at Center, and we need a starter. Center is the main point of our OL and we have not had a good one in our history. We should trade down and get Kalil or someone in the 3rd. The Center is really where we need some help.

P.S. It is really hard not to use a Center pun when talking about this.
Old 03-23-2007   #20
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Winston = 1 year of experience and shaky at that. RT by all accounts.
Spencer = 2 games of experience and a potential career ending injury
Salaam = Clearly not starting quality anymore. Did great as a filler, but should not be our starter.
Black = See above. Gave up 10+ sacks last year on a team with great QB play and an amazing run game. I would hate to see what he does with our essentially rookie QB and aging Ahman Green.

Drob = good #2 CB
DFaggins = decent nickel CB
CC Brown = well below average SS playing FS
Glenn Earl = below average SS.

Our oline is by no means a great group but our secondary is with out a doubt terrible.

Reggie Nelson please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read