Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2004   #1
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83
Default Some surprises today

I was really pleasantly surprised by the Texans D, who played similar to the squad we fielded in our inaugural season. They got some pressure, created some turn overs, and didn't allow the big (well atleast not the really big) play. DRob got his 3rd INT of the season, and Babin was creating alot of pressure. Comparing what I saw out of Babin and Peek today, Babin clearly was causing more havoc than #98. Nice to see him performing at a high level. And how about shutting down the AFC's leading rusher? I think our DLine finally performed how we thought they would coming into the season.

Also, Gaffney is a very reliable receiver now. Carr threw up a ball that looked more intended for Woolfolk than Gaffney, but Gaffney read the play like a vet and turned it into 6 points for the good guys. He also caught the back of the ball on a deep sideline pass. Our receiving corp is dangerous when they have time to get open.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Peek was getting in the back field but he couldn't get around his blocker. It seemed the blocker always had him pushed behind the QB while Babin seemed to be getting inside of his blocker and being able to spin and get much closer to McNair then I saw Peek get.
Old 10-17-2004   #3
georgewashington
Veteran

Thats a stupid thing to say. Peek had his speed rush up the field and them around the lineman twice, but steve got rid of it a split second before he got there. And babin may have gotten close but he fell down everytime before he could make the play. Also, how many tackles did babin have? babin also had the luxury of getting his pressure after running some stunts where he came in through the middle of the line after the DT and the ILB. Also, if you remember the time Babin was out left covering a Receiver on a run play, he couldnt get off the block of the receiver to come and make a tackle. Convenient you missed those plays in your observations
georgewashington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004   #4
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

You must have missed the plays when Peek's blocker had him about 5 feet behind McNair. And the only 2 sacks Peek has this year were on blitzes when he came in untouched. I never saw Peek get around a blocker.
Old 10-17-2004   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewashington
Thats a stupid thing to say. Peek had his speed rush up the field and them around the lineman twice, but steve got rid of it a split second before he got there. And babin may have gotten close but he fell down everytime before he could make the play. Also, how many tackles did babin have? babin also had the luxury of getting his pressure after running some stunts where he came in through the middle of the line after the DT and the ILB. Also, if you remember the time Babin was out left covering a Receiver on a run play, he couldnt get off the block of the receiver to come and make a tackle. Convenient you missed those plays in your observations
You should change your sign on name to Peek's agent. Frankly I like Peek a lot and have been wanting to get him into play more, but that doesn't justify slanted interpretation of what Babin has done. From what I could see, Babin got a lot of pressure today (have to look back at the DVR to confirm that but initial impression) and last week against MN, he would have had 4-6 sacks but for refs that don't know what a holding call is (how many NFL games do you know of without a single holding call made in regulation?). I am impressed with both Peek and Babin. No reason to run either down to try to justify the other.
Old 10-17-2004   #6
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Just to clarify I'm not trying to say Peek's not doing a good job. Just trying to say that today I saw McNair running from Babin more often than he was running from Peek (although Babin had more PT).
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #7
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

I didn't realize that this was a Babin vs Peek thread.

I was suprised with Wong's INT, a one hand grab. It was very impressive. (I think McNair was amazed also by the way he was shaking his head when he went to the sidelines).

Also pleasantly suprised by Jabar's Td catch, I think make breaks on the ball like that shows how he is maturing into a Veteran receiver.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2004   #8
Doug
All Pro

Honestly, Wong has been impressing me since the beginning of the season. Maybe I've been watching him more than anyone else but man he's taken a big step.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #9
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man
I didn't realize that this was a Babin vs Peek thread.

I was suprised with Wong's INT, a one hand grab. It was very impressive. (I think McNair was amazed also by the way he was shaking his head when he went to the sidelines).

Also pleasantly suprised by Jabar's Td catch, I think make breaks on the ball like that shows how he is maturing into a Veteran receiver.

Ok.. but the BEST catch of the day was Armstrong in the end zone with the adjustment to prevent the int! that was AWESOME>
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #10
Doug
All Pro

And Jason Simmons, although he hurt himself in the process, put the lick of the year on Chris Brown.
Old 10-18-2004   #11
Doug
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime
Ok.. but the BEST catch of the day was Armstrong in the end zone with the adjustment to prevent the int! that was AWESOME>
Wasn't that Gaffney or was there another play I wasn't aware of? Seriously
Old 10-18-2004   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

it was Gaffney .. which was awesome.. though I wish it would have been Johnson.. I could have used the FFL points
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #13
done88
Veteran

What if the Texans dropped either Peek or Babin into Defensive end and the other stayed at line backer.
Old 10-18-2004   #14
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe if we were running a 4-3.. but in a 3-4 you have to have big linemen.

Babin and Peek are both too small for a 3-4 lineman.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Honestly, Wong has been impressing me since the beginning of the season. Maybe I've been watching him more than anyone else but man he's taken a big step.
I'm with you Doug: I to think Wong has really played well this season and all of this talk 'bout Babin & Peek being our outside backers at some point in time - well I think we better make sure we hang on to Wong and then figure out whether Babin or Peek should play the remaining outside backer position.
But on the subject of outside backers in the 3-4, lets not use anymore 1st
round picks on these guys. Wong, Peek, & Babin were all DEs in college who
converted to LB in the pros. Another one we got this year was Anderson from
Mississippi - he was a 6th round pick ! There's gobs & gobs of these tweeners
in college that end up as OLBs in the NFL - that's supposed to be one of the attractions of the 3-4, it's cap friendly because you can fill some positions with lower draft picks.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #16
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Wong really is geared for the right side instead of the left. He is having a good season.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by done88
What if the Texans dropped either Peek or Babin into Defensive end and the other stayed at line backer.
We get steamrolled on the run. In a 3-4 you have 3 men taking on 5 lineman. You need big 300 pounders in the line taking up blocks for the linebackers. The OLB's ARE our devensive ends in essence because they provide the rush that you lose by not having conventional ends. The 3-4 linemen are all Tackles when you get right down to it.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #18
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

Texans.....good job....whether Peek or Babin!!!!!
Old 10-18-2004   #19
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewashington
convenient you are insanley biased in your "observations". the only time i saw babin fall was on his near sack of mcnair. im watching babin specifically now for two reasons 1. i understand LB's bettter than DB's (so babin instead of dunta) and 2. to try and bring sense to threads like this. so babin having the ability to bull rush through TE/T with 4.6 speed and get right in mcnair's face by spinning to flush him is WORSE than peek just running upfield around the pocket "creating pressure"? i didn't get one inkling of indication that mcnair was at all concerned of peek and where he was coming from because he was an OLman's dream, takes himself past the the QB and isn't strong/big enough to get back upfield. but there are at least 3 plays where jason said "hello steve", two inside spins and the almost sack. and don't give me this "babin gets more reps" ****, weren't you the one arguing that peek does SO much more with his PT than babin? well, he didn't do much yesterday......
Old 10-18-2004   #20
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Peek = situational pass rusher

He is still too green at this point to become a starter.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read