Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-22-2007   #1
Ali4Real

Question David Carr...Say It Ain't So

I am upset that we signed Matt Schaub which means david Carr well be either traded or released. Personally, I would like the Raiders to pick up Carr and use their draft pick on Joe Thomas. Adding Tony Ugoh or other offensive lineman that can protect Carr well surely help this team get to the playoffs. I am upset that most Texans hate on David Carr while other NFL fans across the USA like him and blame the Texans woes on its offensive line. Consider these stats:

Passing

Year G Att Comp Pct Yds TD Int Rate
2002 16 444 233 52.5 2592 9 15 62.8

2003 12 295 167 56.6 2013 9 13 69.5

2004 16 466 285 61.2 3531 16 14 83.5

2005 16 423 256 60.5 2488 14 11 77.2

2006 16 442 302 68.3 2767 11 12 82.1

Looking at these stats, Carr's rating is improving and this year he had a 82.1 rating which is average. David Carr is a physically strong QB and can takes hit (He's been sacked so many times!) The only thing I am worried about is his will to play and mentality. I would like him to start fresh on another team but if he could stay with the Texans and we can atleast make an effort to block for him, we might get into the playoffs.

What do you guys/gals have to say?

Way To Go Offensive Line!!! (We shouldv'e gotten D'Bricksaw Furgeson)

Old 03-22-2007   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: David Carr...Say It Ain't So

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali4Real View Post

What do you guys/gals have to say?
If you managed to throw one TD pass over the Texans last 40 quarters last season you would have tied David Carr's production of meaningful TD passes over the last 10 games.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

his stats are deceptive.

Carr was improved last season for the first...3 games.. or so. After that he was worse than he has been in a long time.

Carr was not improving at the rate that this team needed him to.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #4
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt most fans across the USA have watched the entire Texans season. And those numbers are highly misleading. Carr was horrible from the middle to the end of the season. And did we really need another thread on this??? Wish DC goodluck for the rest of his life and career. I'm happy with the move Texans made today. It took guts and I believe Matt Schaub will be an upgrade over Carr.
Old 03-22-2007   #5
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

How many times have people posted posts just like this? Im not kidding, I mean it must be up in the thousands.
How I feel: Hes a good QB he just does not have "it". He has not proven us anything in his 5 years. You cant blame the O-line for everything!
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #6
afcman
Veteran

The results speak for themselves.
Old 03-22-2007   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, the NFL is a business, and winning drives the market. Carr wasn't the man for the job, so it's time to move on.

Blame is pointless, and the rest of the nation can kiss my grits. They do not have the benefit of watching five full seasons of futility, so they base their opinions on other people's opinions, which are watered down for consumption.

For a variety of reasons, Carr has not improved and still has the same shortcomings that were mentioned in his college scouting report. This team needs more than that, and quite frankly, us fans deserve more than that, too.

Good luck to DC wherever he goes, but it's time to look ahead towards the future instead of gloating over the past.
Old 03-22-2007   #8
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
If you managed to throw one TD pass over the Texans last 40 quarters last season you would have tied David Carr's production of meaningful TD passes over the last 10 games.

Not to split hairs, but he threw two over the last 10 games... making him twice as productive as you originally thought... still pathetic.
Old 03-22-2007   #9
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok, just to be a little pissant today, I'll throw my devil's advocate hat on.

Carr did do fairly well the beginning third of the season. And then, didn't the OL start to have injuries and get shuffled around quite a bit . . . if I recall correctly?

Not that I'm excusing him for this, but injuries do make a difference.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson View Post
Not to split hairs, but he threw two over the last 10 games... making him twice as productive as you originally thought... still pathetic.
I said meaningful tochdown pass. His ONLY other TD pass in the last 40 quarters of play was in the 4th quarter against the Jets when we were down 23-3...it was garbage time.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #11
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Hey, the NFL is a business, and winning drives the market. Carr wasn't the man for the job, so it's time to move on.
Exactly. I'm glad that the FO is finally making moves at the same speed that most of the rest of the league operates.

If a 7-9 season 3 years ago is the high water mark of your franchise, it's time to pull your head out and do something.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson View Post
Only one of those were thrown in "non-garbage" time. Which is why he said "meaningful."
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #13
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr could have nothing but pro-bowlers as his O-line and he'd still be tripping over his own feet, fumbling the ball, and throwing the ball directly at the D-line's helmets.
The O-line excuse is tired and inaccurate.
Bottom line is after 5 seasons he still looked like a rookie and not a very good one at that.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #14
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Other Nfl fans think it is all our olines fault because that is what espn tells them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #15
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

ugh... those stats are horrible.

that's what you expect to see from a QB that misses half a season.
Old 03-22-2007   #16
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Ok, just to be a little pissant today, I'll throw my devil's advocate hat on.

Carr did do fairly well the beginning third of the season. And then, didn't the OL start to have injuries and get shuffled around quite a bit . . . if I recall correctly?

Not that I'm excusing him for this, but injuries do make a difference.
Carr did horrible virtually all by himself the 2nd half of the season-

-actually sacked 1 less time
-threw for about 500 less yds
-threw only 2 tds
-threw 7ints vs 5 the first half

-team rushed for 1000+ yds the 2nd half vs 685 the first
-team scored 10 rushing tds " " " " 3 " "

Bottom line, protection was basically the same-despite injuries-and rushing attack was much better, avg 125yds per game.

We lost 2 games by less than a td the 2nd half and Carr threw up a 'goose egg' for a td in both.

It's no wonder Kubes lost faith in him because Carr wasn't 'making' plays down the field but-oh, well-not our problem anymore...
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #17
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 35326 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali4Real View Post
....Consider these stats:

Passing

Year G Att Comp Pct Yds TD Int Rate
2002 16 444 233 52.5 2592 9 15 62.8

2003 12 295 167 56.6 2013 9 13 69.5

2004 16 466 285 61.2 3531 16 14 83.5

2005 16 423 256 60.5 2488 14 11 77.2

2006 16 442 302 68.3 2767 11 12 82.1

....What do you guys/gals have to say?
2002 - 11.1 yds per completion
2003 - 12.1 yds per completion
2004 - 12.4 ypc
2005 - 9.71 ypc
2006 - 9.16 ypc

I say, easier to make the short passes?
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #18
Schaub_to AJ_YES!
Rookie

dink
dunk
82%

Any more questions? That was easy.
Schaub_to AJ_YES! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #19
Schaub_to AJ_YES!
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
Other Nfl fans think it is all our olines fault because that is what espn tells them.
Anyone who says that is guaranteed to have never watched bozo the clown QB the Texans. Fortunately those days are over.
Old 03-22-2007   #20
Schaub_to AJ_YES!
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BCarrFree View Post
Carr could have nothing but pro-bowlers as his O-line and he'd still be tripping over his own feet, fumbling the ball, and throwing the ball directly at the D-line's helmets.
The O-line excuse is tired and inaccurate.
Bottom line is after 5 seasons he still looked like a rookie and not a very good one at that.

I see some people are observant. It could actually be a brick wall in front of this bum and he would still take the sack.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read